Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 5 users
I just looked to see what you all were talking about on that thread...wow!

They sent secondaries to people, then changed the prompt a few days later and told people who hadn't submitted yet to respond to the new one. The first prompt was 8,000 characters on this:

And then it became 1,500 characters on this:

:eek:
Lmfao although VCU was the first school to reject me, I'm super glad I got the second prompt when I got the secondary LOL:rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
Lmfao although VCU was the first school to reject me, I'm super glad I got the second prompt when I got the secondary LOL:rofl:

I feel bad for next year's applicants, because they're going to have to sift through 20 pages of anger over the prompt changes and a whole bunch of fictionalized stories about John. Even the current VCU students just ignored the wild posts that cropped up in the thread. :laugh: I guess it will live on as a "right of passage" for a lot of SDN's class of '19-ers.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel bad for next year's applicants, because they're going to have to sift through 20 pages of anger over the prompt changes and a whole bunch of fictionalized stories about John. Even the current VCU students just ignored the wild posts that cropped up in the thread. :laugh: I guess it will live on as a "right of passage" for a lot of SDN's class of '19-ers.

Ha ha, true. This reminds me of something that occurred the me the other day. With all the neurotic energy I expend on SDN, I could have devoted myself at some point to summarizing everything useful from a 2013-2014 school-specific thread into a searchable reference to share with others applying this year. If every school had someone do that, it would save lots of time.

Ha ha, true. This reminds me of something that occurred the me the other day. With all the neurotic energy I expend on SDN, I could have devoted myself at some point to summarizing everything useful from a 2013-2014 school-specific thread into a searchable reference to share with others applying this year. If every school had someone do that, it would save lots of time.

Like compile dates of interview invites, acceptances, rejections? And link to prompts and answers to commonly asked questions?

If I recall correctly, there were some really sweet ones done for UCLA and UCSF by some current M1s! Yeah, those would help a lot.

I've sunk a lot of energy into SDN lately, but I rationalize it knowing that once med school starts I'm going to have to cut my SDN visits short. It's also one of the few websites that runs fine on my ancient laptop.

Reactions: 1 user
That'd be an awesome project! I'd be down to work on that.
If I recall correctly, there were some really sweet ones done for UCLA and UCSF by some current M1s! Yeah, those would help a lot.
All right.

Goal: Distill the wisdom of yesteryear into a form that will benefit current applicants.

Method: Provide a summary of information provided on a school's application process from the previous year's thread. Key points: Interview and decision dates, secondary prompts, answers to FAQs.

Team: Whoever's interested.

Timeline: Whenever we get around to it?

GODDAMMIT JOHN. YOU HAD ONE JOB. ONE JOB!!!

This is why we can't have nice thing, John. This is why.

Reactions: 4 users
All right.

Goal: Distill the wisdom of yesteryear into a form that will benefit current applicants.

Method: Provide a summary of information provided on a school's application process from the previous year's thread. Key points: Interview and decision dates, secondary prompts, answers to FAQs.

Sweet. I can toss up whatever info I gleaned from the schools I interviewed at. Would a big googledoc be the easiest interface to get collective edits?

And you can put a huge bolded asterisk on VCU's profile stating "WARNING: prompts change every year!"

Reactions: 2 users
All right.

Just want to say that I'd be up for working on this as well! I already have some of the dates compiled for a few of the schools I've applied to, and I don't mind going through and doing more to distract myself from the waiting during this break.

I'm making a huge google doc for dates for my own schools and am happy to share it at the end of the cycle. It has complete dates, II dates, update letter dates, rejection dates, etc.

Should be a pretty good sample. I applied to 45 schools and completed 42 secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet. I can toss up whatever info I gleaned from the schools I interviewed at. Would a big googledoc be the easiest interface to get collective edits?

Great idea, a googledoc for each school could work. Perhaps anyone who is particularly interested in a school could create a shared doc and post the link in this year's thread for those interested in contributing? Maybe with a bit of a template to start. I wouldn't imagine they'd all look the same necessarily, nor would they have to.
Just want to say that I'd be up for working on this as well! I already have some of the dates compiled for a few of the schools I've applied to, and I don't mind going through and doing more to distract myself from the waiting during this break.

I am glad you are here @differentiating because that spreadsheet you posted in the Stanford thread is the helpful contribution that inspired this!

All right.

There's probably a more systematic way of doing this, but I'm waiting for some cultures to grow and have time to kill so eh... have at it boys...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11tMaUuBmlTKo9HZYIw1EZJuyWQ5ugIl-ZaPzHlyv-G4/edit?usp=sharing

Plugged up some info from the UCLA thread thanks to alt12345. I think they put up some pretty good info! Other things that I think are worthwhile to note: curriculum (2 year? Block? Condensed 1.5 year?) and grading system.

*note (just so this thing doesn't implode like the infamous LizzyM spreadsheet): no information may be uploaded from the MSAR*

I'm making a huge google doc for dates for my own schools and am happy to share it at the end of the cycle. It has complete dates, II dates, update letter dates, rejection dates, etc.

Should be a pretty good sample. I applied to 45 schools and completed 42 secondaries.

Aha, it seems that many people have taken the time to make their own versions of what we're talking about! No surprise, I guess, to anyone who has spent five minutes on this site.

Just got into my first school. I think my reaction was pretty typical. You know, a 6'3" guy shaking and almost passing out in the middle of the research lab.
Happy dancing for you!! Great news!

Aha, it seems that many people have taken the time to make their own versions of what we're talking about! No surprise, I guess, to anyone who has spent five minutes on this site.

I just did it to keep track of the places I'd applied to when seeing which schools I should update etc.

There's probably a more systematic way of doing this, but I'm waiting for some cultures to grow and have time to kill so eh... have at it boys...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11tMaUuBmlTKo9HZYIw1EZJuyWQ5ugIl-ZaPzHlyv-G4/edit?usp=sharing

Plugged up some info from the UCLA thread thanks to alt12345. I think they put up some pretty good info! Other things that I think are worthwhile to note: curriculum (2 year? Block? Condensed 1.5 year?) and grading system.

*note (just so this thing doesn't implode like the infamous LizzyM spreadsheet): no information may be uploaded from the MSAR*

I like this! I'll have to toss down what I have so far, and then go hunting for more. :)

Also, if people want, I'll be working on adding more schools to this as well - maybe it can be linked in the dates section of the doc for those who want more detailed info?

How do I share a spreadsheet on google docs while still being anon? Not sure I can, can I?

Also, I would caution against including some of the US news info in the document. I think earlier versions were 'banned' due to this, no? I might be wrong.

How do I share a spreadsheet on google docs while still being anon? Not sure I can, can I?

Also, I would caution against including some of the US news info in the document. I think earlier versions were 'banned' due to this, no? I might be wrong.

Good point! NO MSAR/US NEWS INFO.

No, I don't believe you can share de-anon. Hence why I made a [email protected] account (which y'all are more than welcome to spam as I'm probably never going to check it).

@differentiating your spreadsheets are immaculate. :love:

@claduva94 is a creative genius and utterly hilarious. So, so, good.
Hahaha thank you :) I'm glad i could provide entertainment!
The VCU thread was pure gold.

They would release these cryptic status updates, which would say things like "we may extend an interview" or "we are very interested in your app," but the statuses often did not line up with the final action taken.

Oh my god! John! How could I ever have forgotten him. Thank you for that, @claduva94.

For posterity's sake:
Well you definitely helped. Our sass is totally what kept us from interviews ;) On a more creepy note, I think I found you on Facebook due to @sunflower18 . Your name was right there when she insisted I like the photo from her friends' big reunion lunch.

I'm the "token guy" in my league (it's me and 7 girls). I only made it to the championship this year because my friend, who failed to make the playoffs (she calls the consolation games the NIT :laugh:), gave me a few players ;) However, my chances are very slim. My opponent has Peyton Manning and I'm using Eli as my QB to make it interesting.

Regardless, I hope all of the players are spared from significant brain damage :(
Sorry but I hope Peyton does quite well this weekend! And the Patriots lose. But aside from those criteria I hope you pull off the upset!

Well you definitely helped. Our sass is totally what kept us from interviews ;) On a more creepy note, I think I found you on Facebook due to @sunflower18 . Your name was right there when she insisted I like the photo from her friends' big reunion lunch.

Wow it was dinner ok hahaha sheesh

Wow it was dinner ok hahaha sheesh
Shhhhh I say it lovingly. And reunion is so much cooler. To be fair I have insisted that she like a picture of mine first so we are now even.

Hahahaha oh my gosh, really? I found your name by searching Sunflower's friends list. ;)

Hahaha!! I'm so glad that my Facebook is a breeding ground for mutual stalking ;)

Hahahaha oh my gosh, really? I found your name by searching Sunflower's friends list. ;)
I suppose I'm very easy to find if you know my first name haha. But it's good to put a face to all the fantastic jokes and the superstardom that gets into all the amazing schools!

My fake email address is [email protected], which I created back when I was sending around my personal statement.

I think it's great that so many people are offering to share information and take time to collate it. I am not sure if or how this all will work, but hopefully we can get something useful out there!

I tried to think up a few simple guidelines for how this all might work. Feel free to agree/disagree/ignore:
  • Grassroots effort. This would be a lot for one person to be in charge of.
  • Curated by those applying. If you are ready to share something for a school, post a link to what you're working on in the school-specific thread.
  • Fully anonymized. Only share a document from a de-identified Google account.
  • No proprietary data. Nothing from MSAR or US News.
  • Factual. That is, should refrain when possible from things that are variable or subjective, like "interviews are chill."
  • Final product. At the end of the cycle, someone can post a final document in the appropriate 2015-2016 thread.

Sorry but I hope Peyton does quite well this weekend! And the Patriots lose. But aside from those criteria I hope you pull off the upset!
Yeah, Peyton's due for a 500 yard, 6 TD game.
And most likely, I'll be ahead on Sunday night only to see my lead vanish by halftime on Monday night :laugh:
Peyton's accomplishments (especially following his spine surgery) have been truly remarkable!

I suppose I'm very easy to find if you know my first name haha. But it's good to put a face to all the fantastic jokes and the superstardom that gets into all the amazing schools!

Oh, hush you. Just sent you an add.

Woke up to rejection letter from UNC...also woke up to feeling sore and stiff cuz some idiot rear-ended me yesterday (it's never a good idea to text and drive on the highway during rush hour). Welp, I can kiss cheap tuition good-bye.

Frankly, I'm shocked UNC rejected you, considering:

1.) Your stats
2.) You're in-state

I thought you were a shoe-in. You should consider calling them for feedback.

Sorry for the bad news. But you're a fantastic med school candidate, and you will get into better schools than UNC. (I can't promise that they will be cheaper, though...)

My fake email address is [email protected], which I created back when I was sending around my personal statement.

I think it's great that so many people are offering to share information and take time to collate it. I am not sure if or how this all will work, but hopefully we can get something useful out there!

I tried to think up a few simple guidelines for how this all might work. Feel free to agree/disagree/ignore:
  • Grassroots effort. This would be a lot for one person to be in charge of.
  • Curated by those applying. If you are ready to share something for a school, post a link to what you're working on in the school-specific thread.
  • Fully anonymized. Only share a document from a de-identified Google account.
  • No proprietary data. Nothing from MSAR or US News.
  • Factual. That is, should refrain when possible from things that are variable or subjective, like "interviews are chill."
  • Final product. At the end of the cycle, someone can post a final document in the appropriate 2015-2016 thread.

100% agreement. It would be awesome if current med students from each school could verify/add information. Ideally, school-specific segments could be pulled out and pasted at the beginning of each school thread to end the perpetual "do they screen? do they have an in-state bias?" stuff that goes on.

Looooove the email address.

Frankly, I'm shocked UNC rejected you, considering:

1.) Your stats
2.) You're in-state

I thought you were a shoe-in. You should consider calling them for feedback.

Sorry for the bad news. But you're a fantastic med school candidate, and you will get into better schools than UNC. (I can't promise that they will be cheaper, though...)
I didn't apply to any better schools than UNC.....other than Wash U.

@Ace Khalifa, fate often works in mysterious ways and it's very possible that you were not meant to attend UNC.
In many cases, the disappointment we encounter in the present is eventually rectified by bright, yet unexpected events in the future!

I didn't apply to any better schools than UNC.....other than Wash U.

Well, you have the stats for WashU, and WUSM really loves WashU undergrads. (Out of curiosity: why didn't you aim higher, considering your MCAT score? Some people say med schools engage in "yield protection" where they disregard high stat applications in favor of those more likely to matriculate.)

Anyways, I personally feel UNC should have accepted you. Good luck on the rest of your apps! I am sure you will get into a great school.

Wowwwwww gone for three hours and I miss everything.
Awww I don't have any sdn Facebook friends :(
And what's this about an anonymous grassroots effort?

@Ace Khalifa, fate often works in mysterious ways and it's very possible that you were not meant to attend UNC.
In many cases, the disappointment we encounter in the present is eventually rectified by bright, yet unexpected events in the future!
That's not very helpful.....
Well, you have the stats for WashU, and WUSM really loves WashU undergrads. (Out of curiosity: why didn't you aim higher, considering your MCAT score? Some people say med schools engage in "yield protection" where they disregard high stat applications in favor of those more likely to matriculate.)

Anyways, I personally feel UNC should have accepted you. Good luck on the rest of your apps! I am sure you will get into a great school.
I have no research experience from undergrad. That's why I didn't aim for the top schools (I applied to Emory, Baylor, and UVA without knowing they were top ranked schools, so oops).

That's not very helpful.....
I totally get that you feel awful at the moment, but today's rejection does not dampen your future. That's all I'm trying to say. I'm sure there are TONS of successful doctors who did not attend one of their top choice schools.

Reactions: 6 users
Wow I need to keep up, I missed a lot, too!! Congrats @ridethecliche on Albany!!! So excited for you -- what a relief, you can really enjoy the upcoming year! Congrats on everybody's recent acceptances!

I'm so sorry to hear about UNC @Ace Khalifa :( They don't know what they're missing by not including you in their upcoming class, truly. However, I'm certain you'll have an acceptance at one of your other schools soon -- you're wonderful!

Wowwwwww gone for three hours and I miss everything.
Awww I don't have any sdn Facebook friends :(
And what's this about an anonymous grassroots effort?

Haha I don't think I've found any of these guys on Facebook yet, but that would be very cool. I love putting a face to all of these great personalities on here. I think the only one I know for sure is @researchismymiddlename, but she's quite the standout online ;):p

Edit: Oh and feel free to count me in on the information gathering effort! I'm happy to help out in any way that I can!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm so sorry to hear about UNC @Ace Khalifa :( They don't know what they're missing by not including you in their upcoming class, truly. However, I'm certain you'll have an acceptance at one of your other schools soon -- you're wonderful!
It's okay. I'm slowly getting over it. If you can't join 'em, f**k 'em. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for SLU. I don't know if you're still considering SLU at this point, but it'll be awesome if we were in the same class!

Sorry for double post, but I couldn't sleep last night before my 10 hour 6 am shift (which starts soon) because all the bad crap that's happened to me recently made my mind race too much. Right as I walk in: (to the tune of Macklemore's "Thrift Shop" verse 1)

"Walk into the ED like, 'What up, I got no sleep last night.'
I'm so pumped to work 10 hours, let's do it right.
What's the talk about no charting, why we laughing?
Then I see that, "Damn, there's a dead ass patient."

Yeah.......this is gonna be a reallllll fun shift.

EDIT: Tried to make the rhyme scheme flow better lol

Last edited:
I actually yelled at my boss today (I work at a law firm). He threw a tantrum earlier asking why I haven't updated him on certain tasks. Unfortunately, he managed to forget that I actually did give him a detailed update on everything (in addition to working consecutive weekends and volunteering to work during the holidays). I rarely raise my voice, but I'm really not a fan of unnecessary outbursts of anger (I don't think anyone is). Sorry, I just felt like venting.
I feel your pain dude, counting down my days left before school.

Sorry for double post, but I couldn't sleep last night before my 10 hour 6 am shift (which starts soon) because all the bad crap that's happened to me recently made my mind race too much. Right as I walk in: (to the tune of Macklemore's "Thrift Shop" verse 1)

"Walk into the ED like, 'What up, I got no sleep.'
I'm so pumped about 10 more hours awake.
See everyone laughing about not doing a chart
The reason is, "Damn, there's a dead ass patient."

Yeah.......this is gonna be a reallllll fun shift.

That rhyme scheme doesn't work. Possibly explained by the first line though.