Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, Ace, it's time for some tough love.

Unlike most of the people here, I probably understand your situation a lot better. Why, do you ask?
Well, for starters I was also rejected by UNC during a previous cycle despite being an IS student. Oh, and I also had higher stats. Oh, and they were also the only school I was waiting on at that point (unlike you, who still has at least one interview coming up this cycle). Oh, and I didn't hear back until April, meaning they had a lot longer period to play with my emotions and anxiety.

You know what I did when I realized my cycle was for naught? I made gap year plans, figured out my weaknesses, and figured out how to grow from my experience. I think I'm a more mature person this cycle especially because the universal rejections gave me a chance to reflect on my own characteristics, shortcomings, and ultimately what I wanted out of life. Whenever I felt frustrated, I let the frustration motivate me. I used the frustration to make sure I was thorough when researching schools, writing secondaries, preparing for interviews, and learning how to sell myself. I used that chip on my shoulder to boost my app rather than to wallow in my own self-pity.

You're in a way better situation than I ever was during that time, so right now you are doing yourself no favors whatsoever with your attitude, especially when you're in a position to make a comeback. Many SDNers will say things like "Oh, I'm so sorry, you were such a great applicant! You had such great stats!", whereas I understand exactly how difficult it can be to get into a school that interviews 55% of its IS applicants and cares more about the holistic applicant than the stats, and I understand the danger in being led to believe all the overly optimistic BS that SDNers frequently spread in order to raise fruitless positivity.

(Sorry, normally I wouldn't rant like this, but you really are in a position where you can still get what you want.)
Sage advice, @aprimenumber. As one who no doubt stands accused of "overly optimistic BS" and "fruitless positivity," I can respond only that yin and yang together make up the complete circle, and that each includes a bit of the other. Frustration led you to action, which is laudable. I'm guessing that the motivation was not instantaneous. Grieving really does have stages, whether we mourn the loss of a life, an opportunity, or a dream. I think it is okay for someone diagnosed with a serious illness to deny, to rant, to weep, and THEN to get the chemo and radiation, for instance. It's all right, I believe, for the friends and family to say, "I'm sorry you didn't get the job. You really deserved it." Later, they can urge the unfortunate to get back on the horse and become a better equestrian. So your response offers valuable advice and coach-like tough love. Still, there is a place for the "BS" that you deplore, as well. "Positivity" can also bear fruit, so long as it is not mindless.

Just sayin'. (A bit defensively.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi! Congrats to everyone who has acceptances! Going into the holidays and new year without an is acceptance definitely nerve wracking, and even with some interviews, the self doubt and uncertainty creeps in more often than I would like. This thread is always an inspiration though, especially hearing about the good news of all the kind and welcoming people on here!!
Happy holidays everyone :)
The nerve-wracking part is totally understandable. But please don't doubt yourself. You're very close to achieving your goal!
Enjoy the holidays!!

Reactions: 1 user
@Iceandmedicine
They say that SDN breeds neuroticism, and brings out the ugliest of competitive selves in people. But SDN has also bred hope. Before my first acceptance I sat through two rejections, two deferrals, and a waitlist. Dazed and confused and hurt as I was, the online community here at SDN (lookin' at you @FriendlyFH @breakintheroof @hellanutella @researchismymiddlename) rallied around and gave me support. They assured me that all would work out in the end, that the string of bad luck would end, and gave me tons of moral ammunition to wait through this BRUTAL process.

I'm now going to say this to you. The waiting is the worst. Period. You know it, I know it, and ALL of us know it here on this thread. But hey - in the meanwhile, we're here for you. Tell us what advice you need...vent if you have to! Medicine is a team effort, and it sounds cliche, but we're all in this together. @Iceandmedicine if you ever feel doubt creeping into your mind, I'm here to help all that I can.

Ladies and gentlemen, the sun is rising in southern Taiwan, and I have grandparents to visit. But until then, I'll leave you with this.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sage advice, @aprimenumber. As one who no doubt stands accused of "overly optimistic BS" and "fruitless positivity," I can respond only that yin and yang together make up the complete circle, and that each includes a bit of the other. Frustration led you to action, which is laudable. I'm guessing that the motivation was not instantaneous. Grieving really does have stages, whether we mourn the loss of a life, an opportunity, or a dream. I think it is okay for someone diagnosed with a serious illness to deny, to rant, to weep, and THEN to get the chemo and radiation, for instance. It's all right, I believe, for the friends and family to say, "I'm sorry you didn't get the job. You really deserved it." Later, they can urge the unfortunate to get back on the horse and become a better equestrian. So your response offers valuable advice and coach-like tough love. Still, there is a place for the "BS" that you deplore, as well. "Positivity" can also bear fruit, so long as it is not mindless.

Just sayin'. (A bit defensively.)
I'm not sure if I would equate being diagnosed with a serious illness as being of similar gravity as being rejected from two medical schools (Imagine a doctor telling a patient "I know what you're going through, I got rejected from a couple of medical schools once. Yeah...it sucked.")

I've been following SDN pretty closely this cycle, and there comes a point where you need to stop saying "Oh, but you're such a great applicant", or "I'm sure you'll get an amazing acceptance eventually!", and start inquiring on why those schools didn't feel that way. As @Ace Khalifa himself said earlier, he still has some growing up to do, and to an extent, these rejections can almost be viewed as blessings in disguise, as it's possible that he may not have been truly emotionally mature enough to earn a spot this cycle, and that's fine, as we often learn and grow more from our failures than we do from our successes. There is even a bit of me that is glad that I got rejected, because I've been accepted to a school that I think may be a better fit for me than any of the places I interviewed at last cycle.

And no, when I received my rejection, I didn't wallow in my self-pity. I poured myself a whisky, pounded the table with frustration, and said something along the lines of "I'll show them what they're missing out on!", downed the drink straight no chaser (and no grimace), and started playing a motivational song while pretending that I was in a training montage. I pretended that I was either Manu Ginobili after the 1999 draft, or Jeremy Lin in the 2011 draft (Can't a grown man have an active imagination?).

Okay, that wasn't what happened exactly. By that point I had already started preparing for the possibility of becoming a re-applicant, so the rejection didn't shock me. I just decided to make sure that I learned something from my failed cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure if I would equate being diagnosed with a serious illness as being of similar gravity as being rejected from two medical schools (Imagine a doctor telling a patient "I know what you're going through, I got rejected from a couple of medical schools once. Yeah...it sucked.")

I've been following SDN pretty closely this cycle, and there comes a point where you need to stop saying "Oh, but you're such a great applicant", or "I'm sure you'll get an amazing acceptance eventually!", and start inquiring on why those schools didn't feel that way. As @Ace Khalifa himself said earlier, he still has some growing up to do, and to an extent, these rejections can almost be viewed as blessings in disguise, as it's possible that he may not have been truly emotionally mature enough to earn a spot this cycle, and that's fine, as we often learn and grow more from our failures than we do from our successes. There is even a bit of me that is glad that I got rejected, because I've been accepted to a school that I think may be a better fit for me than any of the places I interviewed at last cycle.

And no, when I received my rejection, I didn't wallow in my self-pity. I poured myself a whisky, pounded the table with frustration, and said something along the lines of "I'll show them what they're missing out on!", downed the drink straight no chaser (and no grimace), and started playing a motivational song while pretending that I was in a training montage. I pretended that I was either Manu Ginobili after the 1999 draft, or Jeremy Lin in the 2011 draft (Can't a grown man have an active imagination?).

Okay, that wasn't what happened exactly. By that point I had already started preparing for the possibility of becoming a re-applicant, so the rejection didn't shock me. I just decided to make sure that I learned something from my failed cycle.

Well said Sir! Well said!!!

@WinterSoldier93 have an excellent time with your family – my goodness, must they be proud of you. I can only imagine what that wait must have felt like. :( I was stupidly lucky to get my acceptances front-loaded onto the early end of my cycle, but in the grand scheme (aside from a stress level point of view) the timing is irrelevant. I was surprised how many current med students I met who were pulled off of a waitlist mid-summer... and there they were, indistinguishable from their peers who were accepted the first day.

@aprimenumber I think what @BengaliBrat is getting at is that people have their own way of coping with difficult news or things that are out of their control. Obviously, the emotional turmoil suffered due to a med school rejection is nowhere on the same plane as being diagnosed with a serious illness, but the series of responses people take to the issue may follow a similar pattern. I'm a huge proponent of taking the time to let one's feelings out and "vent" to friends.

I know some people disagree with the therapeutic effects of venting, but as someone who is more inclined to internalize their feelings, having someone you can express your frustrations to – free of judgement – can be invaluable. Growing up I was always a caretaker for others, so I shied away from sharing my problems or showing weakness. When dealing with anger/frustration, I would try to turn it into a motivating factor. But you know what: the way I did so was not really healthy for me. I would let those emotions consume me and I would not be satisfied until I had achieved what I wanted. Admittedly, it usually worked... but in the end, I was not anywhere closer to achieving a sense of peace. It was only when I became comfortable enough to share my fears/frustrations with friends, that I was able to pick myself up and approach the problem with a clearer mind. And the most important thing: I now had other people who I could lean on for support and advice, instead of doggedly tackling the issue alone.

Basically: we all take different approaches to dealing with stressors. There's no one-size-fits-all process. :shrug:

PS: Probably preaching to the choir, but this made the little news ticker on FB and I was rather pleased.

Reactions: 8 users
@WinterSoldier93
@aprimenumber I think what @BengaliBrat is getting at is that people have their own way of coping with difficult news or things that are out of their control. Obviously, the emotional turmoil suffered due to a med school rejection is nowhere on the same plane as being diagnosed with a serious illness, but the series of responses people take to the issue may follow a similar pattern. I'm a huge proponent of taking the time to let one's feelings out and "vent" to friends.
Agreed. I had my share of drunken rants to my poor friends who were unfortunate enough to be hanging out with me on those nights.

But my original point remains that Ace is still in a position where he can determine the fate of his cycle. I was the only person who pointed out the fact that his current venting and self-hatred is likely going to deter his willingness to thoroughly prepare for his next interview, which at this point, can be his make it or break it interview. Some people like to offer sympathy, but if I had to choose between offering a solution vs offering sympathy, I'll choose the solution.

Reactions: 2 users
@Ace Khalifa,

Let me give you some no-nonsense perspective from a successful reapplicant (that would be me):

The first time I applied I made some obvious rookie mistakes. I applied to too few schools too late in the cycle without having a heavyweight application to make up for my hubris. I thought that all I needed to do was get more volunteer/research/shadowing/etc hours, apply early, and I'll be golden. That was surely true, but boy oh boy how unprepared I was for the more likely reason for my rejection: I was young, naive, and not nearly as smart and charming as I'd thought. Without realizing so myself, I desperately needed the year to mature into my future role as a physician. Thank goodness I got it.

You have enough interviews that I'm still reasonably confident will turn into an acceptance, but the rejections from your state schools do suggest that some growing up is in order. You're what, 22? By all accounts you hatched from the egg yesterday. Don't think that a (potentially) disappointing cycle will ever come to define your successes down the line. Accept that you're not perfect, but do believe in your own greatness. I know very well how painful it is to see others succeed at your pursuit, but it doesn't mean that you don't have a space on the podium. This is the time to find out exactly what you're made of, so don't squander this precious year in self-pity when you could be enjoying life and improving yourself.

As for me, I got 9 IIs for the hell I'd been through this and last year, and 1 acceptance so far. There is life even after the world comes crashing down. You'll be alright (but srsly, you need to stop with the sonnets of death because you're 1. not much of a poet and 2. we can't take the melancholy).

I won't wish you good luck, but I will wish you good effort and happy holidays!

-Kthxbai

Reactions: 6 users
@Ace Khalifa,

Let me give you some no-nonsense perspective from a successful reapplicant (that would be me):

The first time I applied I made some obvious rookie mistakes. I applied to too few schools too late in the cycle without having a heavyweight application to make up for my hubris. I thought that all I needed to do was get more volunteer/research/shadowing/etc hours, apply early, and I'll be golden. That was surely true, but boy oh boy how unprepared I was for the more likely reason for my rejection: I was young, naive, and not nearly as smart and charming as I'd thought. Without realizing so myself, I desperately needed the year to mature into my future role as a physician. Thank goodness I got it.

You have enough interviews that I'm still reasonably confident will turn into an acceptance, but the rejections from your state schools do suggest that some growing up is in order. You're what, 22? By all accounts you hatched from the egg yesterday. Don't think that a (potentially) disappointing cycle will ever come to define your successes down the line. Accept that you're not perfect, but do believe in your own greatness. I know very well how painful it is to see others succeed at your pursuit, but it doesn't mean that you don't have a space on the podium. This is the time to find out exactly what you're made of, so don't squander this precious year in self-pity when you could be enjoying life and improving yourself.

As for me, I got 9 IIs for the hell I'd been through this and last year, and 1 acceptance so far. There is life even after the world comes crashing down. You'll be alright (but srsly, you need to stop with the sonnets of death because you're 1. not much of a poet and 2. we can't take the melancholy).

I won't wish you good luck, but I will wish you good effort and happy holidays!

-Kthxbai
Are we the same person?

Reactions: 1 users
I am THRILLED to have received my first acceptance!!! I've been waiting a long time for this, and have battled through long episodes of self-doubt, but things do work out in the end. Thanks Vandy, because I might be in Nashville for the next four years of my life.
BTW, I didn't get the call directly because Taipei, Taiwan is a good ten hours ahead of Nashville, TN.

@WinterSoldier93 Winter, I am SO happy to hear this good news!! When I saw this I had such a big smile on my face because although I don't know you nor have I ever met you, @FriendlyFH says you're awesome so by extension you really are, and I am glad this good news has come your way, and from Vandy too!! OMG that's awesome!!! :clap: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :D :happy: Hopefully I can put a face to your name at a second look weekend or two ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed. I had my share of drunken rants to my poor friends who were unfortunate enough to be hanging out with me on those nights.

But my original point remains that Ace is still in a position where he can determine the fate of his cycle. I was the only person who pointed out the fact that his current venting and self-hatred is likely going to deter his willingness to thoroughly prepare for his next interview, which at this point, can be his make it or break it interview. Some people like to offer sympathy, but if I had to choose between offering a solution vs offering sympathy, I'll choose the solution.
I agree with the bolded. He absolutely has to keep his eye on the ball, especially at this critical juncture. But I also feel that he is deserving of sympathy. He's worked very hard and there's nothing wrong with offering support and optimism during this difficult process (which can be soul crushing at times). It's not as if we're dumping false positivity on someone with a 2.8 and a 25 MCAT. His stats place him in the upper percentile of applicants, and from this point forward, he should only be concerned with fine-tuning.

Anyway, congrats on your recent success!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the bolded. He absolutely has to keep his eye on the ball, especially at this critical juncture. But I also feel that he is deserving of sympathy. He's worked very hard and there's nothing wrong with offering support and optimism during this difficult process (which can be soul crushing at times). It's not as if we're dumping false positivity on someone with a 2.8 and a 25 MCAT. His stats place him in the upper percentile of applicants, and from this point forward, he should only be concerned with fine-tuning.

Anyway, congrats on your recent success!
I agree that there's nothing wrong with offering sympathy and support; I just felt that he's been offered enough sympathy and not enough real advice (things like "but you're so great" or "I'm so sorry! I can't even begin to imagine what that feels like!" don't qualify as advice).

And thanks, I'm so happy that I got accepted early this cycle! I remember going through Ace's situation my first time around, and I'm very glad that I didn't turn to meaningless frustration.

We all mean well and speak from our hearts, and we are all hoping to help. Even when it comes to climbing Everest, there are different routes up to the summit, so I'm not judging the paths chosen by others in reacting to bad news of whatever seriousness. Just as a clarification, I've been there when two of my closest family members were given the bad news about their cancer, so I am not making light of that, by any means. I do remember a nurse telling me once about the pain scale, though--you know, that "On a scale from one to ten, how would you rate the pain right now?" She was saying that some patients clearly in agony still said "About a six, I guess," while others who, so far as could be judged from their conditions, their vitals, and even their facial expressions were more annoyed than hurting would report "Nine and a half, at least." Her observation--neither type of patient was lying--the subjective experience of pain cannot be judged from the outside. I know that one of my relatives diagnosed with the terminal disease said that she never reported that her pain was at the level of 10. She'd learned too much, she said, about the scope and breadth of pain to believe that, whatever she experienced, it couldn't get worse.

But a four-year-old who is told that it's time to leave the zoo is sincerely heart-broken. Her world is shattered; she has no idea how much suffering remains to be experienced. So, as @hellanutella says, my point is that dealing with the emotions and dealing with the subsequent "motions" demand separate skillsets. When toddler Junior stumbles and sprawls on the sidewalk, some parents make a huge fuss and kiss the boo-boo away. Some distract the child; some make him laugh; some even shout at the concrete and scold it! And, of course, some say, "Don't cry. Pick yourself up." I'm not sure if any of these approaches is superior to another. I guess that the wise child disregards the parental response altogether and learns from his own skinned knees about the need to proceed in another way.

As I say, though, we are all acting from a wish to do good, and I truly appreciate that. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. . .whenever I drop in, whether Mr. Rogers is home or not! :pacifier1:

Reactions: 7 users
We all mean well and speak from our hearts, and we are all hoping to help.
Could not agree more.
But a four-year-old who is told that it's time to leave the zoo is sincerely heart-broken.
When toddler Junior stumbles and sprawls on the sidewalk, some parents make a huge fuss and kiss the boo-boo away.

Your points are valid, and I may be acting a little picky here, but I feel like you are choosing very poor analogies. We aren't children here, and if an applicant who aspires to become a future physician feels that his/her world is falling apart after a few rejections, then I would have a few concerns about his/her maturity and emotional readiness for medical school and the profession (this is in response to your analogies, not in response to anything anyone else said).

And also, I hate seeing little kids in pain. If a kid fell in my vicinity under my watch, the first thing I would do would be to comfort that kid until he/she stopped crying. My response for kids is very different from my response for adults. I'm mentioning this part so that you guys don't think that I'm a heartless person.

Could not agree more.

Your points are valid, and I may be acting a little picky here, but I feel like you are choosing very poor analogies. We aren't children here, and if an applicant who aspires to become a future physician feels that his/her world is falling apart after a few rejections, then I would have a few concerns about his/her maturity and emotional readiness for medical school and the profession (this is in response to your analogies, not in response to anything anyone else said).
You say that but keep referring to me as someone who needs to grow up A LOT.....

I appreciate everyone's advice and support. But I am not THAT inexperienced and immature, not anymore at least.

The only reason I made a big fuss about getting rejected was because it was my very very good states school that did so. Had it been any other school, I would have brushed it off.

People mature at different rates. There is no golden standard of what level of maturity is "correct" to have at any stage in life, especially during college and life right after college. If we are going to keep discussing this (which I didn't think was going to happen but y'all surprise me every day lol), then let's keep this in mind.

For the record, I've played "the shoulder to cry on" and "advice giver" and "mentor" roles plenty of times during the last 2 years. It's not like I'm an immature child, and how can an admissions committee get that kind of impression if I was mature and composed and treated everyone with respect and kindness on my interview day the entire time? Obviously there are other factors that get one rejected, like lackluster EC's or bland LOR's or maybe, just maybe, everyone who applied and got accepted to UNC truly was just an overall stronger candidate than I am.

Don't assume these rejections were a blessing in disguise and that I didnt deserve a spot solely based on perceived lack of emotional maturity. I have done so much growing up the past year, and I know there's still room for growth, but don't assume that the main reason I didn't get accepted was due to immaturity. Unless that's an unspoken assumption for all high stats applicants who don't get in....which would be silly.

You say that but keep referring to me as someone who needs to grow up A LOT.....

I appreciate everyone's advice and support. But I am not THAT inexperienced and immature, not anymore at least.

The only reason I made a big fuss about getting rejected was because it was my very very good states school that did so. Had it been any other school, I would have brushed it off.

People mature at different rates. There is no golden standard of what level of maturity is "correct" to have at any stage in life, especially during college and life right after college. If we are going to keep discussing this (which I didn't think was going to happen but y'all surprise me every day lol), then let's keep this in mind.

For the record, I've played "the shoulder to cry on" and "advice giver" and "mentor" roles plenty of times during the last 2 years. It's not like I'm an immature child, and how can an admissions committee get that kind of impression if I was mature and composed and treated everyone with respect and kindness on my interview day the entire time? Obviously there are other factors that get one rejected, like lackluster EC's or bland LOR's or maybe, just maybe, everyone who applied and got accepted to UNC truly was just an overall stronger candidate than I am.
In response to the miscommunication that appears to have arisen,

Could not agree more.

I specifically included that so that you wouldn't think I was calling you a child, because that wasn't what I was saying. I thought that was clear.

I only suggested that you may have some maturing to do once, and that was only because you said it yourself, as evidenced here.
Yes, I still have a lot of growing up to do. And I sincerely try to become a better person every single day. I will end my rant here, but yeah, I don't have a compelling story for "Why medicine?" compared to 99% of applicants. Sorry y'all. :(

And for the record, I doubt that 99% of us have super compelling stories of why we want to become doctors. Most of us just want to help others to the best of our ability.

Having played "the shoulder to cry on" doesn't mean you're mature, just like being a physician who dispenses health-related advice doesn't automatically mean that you're healthy. Being mature isn't just treating people with kindness and respect on your interview day. It's demonstrating the mentality that will allow you to succeed in the field while balancing your life and relationships in a healthy and stable manner. Often times, your answers may show sides of immaturity or misunderstandings of what you're about to go through (not saying that this is what happened to you). For all we know, maybe you just interviewed poorly there. Applicants are very poor judges of what impressions they give off to the interviewer, after all.

Don't assume these rejections were a blessing in disguise and that I didnt deserve a spot solely based on perceived lack of emotional maturity. I have done so much growing up the past year, and I know there's still room for growth, but don't assume that the main reason I didn't get accepted was due to immaturity. Unless that's an unspoken assumption for all high stats applicants who don't get in....which would be silly.
No one "deserves" to go to medical school. It's a privilege and honor that one can be chosen to take care of people when they're at their most vulnerable. I never stated that you were immature, though I raised the possibility because you more or less said it yourself.

I definitely did not interview poorly at either place. I didn't make any of the common interview mistakes. I'll just see what the schools say when I ask them for feedback.

I don't think it's productive to nitpick @Ace Khalifa. I'm sure he's now aware that his energy must be focused on the upcoming interview(s).
Also, it hasn't even been a week since he learned about UNC. It's perfectly normal to freak out for a few days. Who doesn't experience moments like this?!

Ace, enjoy your holidays and prepare yourself appropriately for the tasks ahead!!

Reactions: 10 users
I don't think it's productive to nitpick @Ace Khalifa. I'm sure he's now aware that his energy must be focused on the upcoming interview(s).
Also, it hasn't even been a week since he learned about UNC. It's perfectly normal to freak out for a few days. Who doesn't experience moments like this?!

Ace, enjoy your holidays and prepare yourself appropriately for the tasks ahead!!
Thank you! I'll be sending y'all lots of love from the ED on Christmas!

ayo. anyone have any good books to read (for fun, not academics) now that the stress is over?

ayo. anyone have any good books to read (for fun, not academics) now that the stress is over?

Whenever I'm out of books to read in my queue, I default to rereading Harry Potter books :D I have been meaning to start the Game of Thrones series, though, and Obama recently endorsed a book (Redeployment, by Phil Klay) that sounds interesting!

Reactions: 5 users
What kind of books so you like to read? Name a couple that you like and I'll suggest some more :)

If you want something light-hearted and funny (but also well-written), I recently finished Good Omens, written by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It was hilarious, and I totally recommend it.

smiley-talk005.gif
Just wanted to give a huge congrats to @FriendlyFH and @miamiheatfan on their recent acceptances! Congrats ladies, I could not be happier for you guys:)

Edit: Jut realized @Copernicium got accepted with a huge scholarship. Congrats my man!!
smiley-dance003.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
FFH is a girl?? I never realized! Ahhh this is my first case of gender mix up on sdn!

:laugh: Her username is Friendly Female House. [EDIT: No Limits beat me to the punch]

I was lucky enough to meet her in person and can vouch that she is an exceptionally lovely miss. She'd be a stellar asset to WashU.

Reactions: 4 users
SUCH GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!! Huuuuuge congratulations to @miamiheatfan and @Copernicium and @FriendlyFH on your acceptances!!!!! That's so so wonderful -- what a fantastic holiday gift for you three!!! I just woke up (west coast time, it's only 10, I promise I'm not a total sloth) and now my day has already been made due to this incredible news. I love celebrating the accomplishments of those who wholeheartedly deserve it!

I haven't met any of you personally, unfortunately, but @hellanutella has told me wonderful things about FFH and @researchismymiddlename had such a positive recollection of meeting Copernicium. Since I adore both of those ladies, I am sure that I would 100% agree with them about how great you two are! @miamiheatfan, I have more degrees of separation from you, but I am also supremely confident that you're a fantastic person as well and I would love to meet you someday :)

YAY so excited for everyone :biglove:

Reactions: 10 users
:laugh: Her username is Friendly Female House. [EDIT: No Limits beat me to the punch]

I was lucky enough to meet her in person and can vouch that she is an exceptionally lovely miss. She'd be a stellar asset to WashU.
+1
And she absolutely raved about Wash U when I met her!!
NorthernCardinal.jpg

Congrats to @FriendlyFH, @miamiheatfan, and @Copernicium!!!!

SUCH GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!! Huuuuuge congratulations to @miamiheatfan and @Copernicium and @FriendlyFH on your acceptances!!!!! That's so so wonderful -- what a fantastic holiday gift for you three!!! I just woke up (west coast time, it's only 10, I promise I'm not a total sloth) and now my day has already been made due to this incredible news. I love celebrating the accomplishments of those who wholeheartedly deserve it!

I haven't met any of you personally, unfortunately, but @hellanutella has told me wonderful things about FFH and @researchismymiddlename had such a positive recollection of meeting Copernicium. Since I adore both of those ladies, I am sure that I would 100% agree with them about how great you two are! @miamiheatfan, I have more degrees of separation from you, but I am also supremely confident that you're a fantastic person as well and I would love to meet you someday :)

YAY so excited for everyone :biglove:
Thank you!!! This whole app cycle has been a series of miracles for me you have no idea! I don't comment a lot but I follow the thread as best as I can, you seem like you're super sweet! You and anyone else could feel free to add me on FB too just PM me!

+1
And she absolutely raved about Wash U when I met her!!
NorthernCardinal.jpg

Congrats to @FriendlyFH, @miamiheatfan, and @Copernicium!!!!

Thank you so much as well! :) All of you are so awesome!

At work using the app, and I can't seem to find ways to tag everyone or anyone. Big big thanks to all of you! Meeting some of you were the high lights of this year. I definitely felt a profound sense of relief after the WashU acceptance. Felt like I can just pack up and go start school tomorrow over there. This year there were miracles and drama and setbacks during the whole progression, but I never felt discouraged. A lot of it has to do with the knowledgable and supportive SDN community. Thanks again everyone! I wish everyone recognition for your hard work, joy and friendships in the new year and a wonderful Christmas filled with presents and love!

Friendly F(emale) H(ouse)
I got the idea from the show House. I wish I can master the medical knowledge like how he was portrayed to be without loosing the touch with my patients. I changed the name to FriendlyFH because in the new format of SDN forum, my username was broken into two lines "Friendly Female Ho" is line 1...and that was a bit embarrassing. You know when you ask to change user name you have to explain why, I can almost hear the mods giggling when they read my explanation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users

-Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
-Everything by paul farmer and atul gawande
-Everything by David Sedaris
-100 years of solitude by Marquez
-The eternal lightness of being by milan kundera
-Everything by Junot Diaz and Arundhati Roy.

Was at a used bookstore recently and I picked up "The Red and the Black" by Stendhal for a dollar. I was so engrossed in it that I finished it in about four days. Probably some of the most multifaceted, frustrating, and tragic characters I've ever encountered. Would highly recommend.

Also recently read "Austerlitz" by W.G. Sebald. It's wonderfully written and the format is really interesting - imagine someone narrating as you leaf through a photo album of seemingly-prosiac-but-actually-utterly-haunting photos. Thumbs up.

-Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
-Everything by paul farmer and atul gawande
-Everything by David Sedaris
-100 years of solitude by Marquez
-The eternal lightness of being by milan kundera
-Everything by Junot Diaz and Arundhati Roy.

I would also recommend Junot Diaz, one hundred years of solitude (which is my all time favorite book ever), and the unbearable lightness of being by Kundera which is in my top 10.
Also recommend:
Phantoms in the Brain by VS Ramachandran
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Foer
Slaughterhouse five by Vonnegut
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
Catch 22
Poisonwood Bible

Ahh yes. Vonnegut. I read so much stuff by him in HS and college. Need to pick up a few more books that I haven't read. Slaughterhouse was freaking awesome. I really liked player piano as well. Reading sirens of titan following player piano is pretty interesting since you get to see how he just went 'F it' as far as his style goes. It's awesome.

I would also recommend Junot Diaz, one hundred years of solitude (which is my all time favorite book ever), and the unbearable lightness of being by Kundera which is in my top 10.
Also recommend:
Phantoms in the Brain by VS Ramachandran
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Foer
Slaughterhouse five by Vonnegut
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
Catch 22
Poisonwood Bible
Internal medicine by Terrence Holt, some stories are better than others, but still heartfelt

If you're feeling ambitious, I recommend The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky (specifically the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation). And of course, Tolstoy's Anna Karenina (also the look for the P&V translation).

If you're feeling ambitious, I recommend The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky (specifically the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation). And of course, Tolstoy's Anna Karenina (also the look for the P&V translation).

Brothers Karamazov is an incredible novel; teaches you so much about life. Really dense, but worth it - and yes the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation is excellent.