Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
180k in loans including undergrad debt is the national average. I'd say you're on the luckier side but not by a lot.

ahh i see. but the part that confuses me is how my EFC was 0, yet my school expects my parents to pay 25k (on an income of 45k). shouldn't this 25k be in loans as well? and also, would it be bad to ask if any or all of that 25k in expected family contribution to be changed into need-based grants?

Members don't see this ad.

'
Microsoft OneNote was always a popular option for my classmates. :)
+1
My boyfriend has used OneNote for all his law school notes. I just got it for my new laptop, and it seems pretty good for keeping things organized in one place.

Reactions: 1 user
ahh i see. but the part that confuses me is how my EFC was 0, yet my school expects my parents to pay 25k (on an income of 45k). shouldn't this 25k be in loans as well? and also, would it be bad to ask if any or all of that 25k in expected family contribution to be changed into need-based grants?
Was your EFC 0 according to the school or FAFSA? My understanding is that even if you put parent info into FAFSA, it calculates your EFC based on your info alone. So FAFSA might say 0, but if the schools see your parent's info they could calculate a higher EFC. 25k/45k seems crazy though. You should be able to take more loans to cover the full COA. Call the school's fin aid office and see if that would be possible.

Edit: It wouldn't hurt to ask if there's any chance of getting more need-based grant money, but schools do have limited resources, so I wouldn't count on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was your EFC 0 according to the school or FAFSA? My understanding is that even if you put parent info into FAFSA, it calculates your EFC based on your info alone. So FAFSA might say 0, but if the schools see your parent's info they could calculate a higher EFC. 25k/45k seems crazy though. You should be able to take more loans to cover the full COA. Call the school's fin aid office and see if that would be possible.

Edit: It wouldn't hurt to ask if there's any chance of getting more need-based grant money, but schools do have limited resources, so I wouldn't count on it.

my FAFSA said 0, but my school said 25k. ill definitely ask!

also, is it common for schools to pull need-based aid if they find out you received outside scholarships? that kinda seems counterintuitive to people finding outside scholarships. for example, you get 25k in need-based aid. and then you have 50k that you need to pay. so you enter in scholarship competitions and win 10k in scholarships. is it common for the need-based aid to now be reduced by the 10k you won in scholarship money, and then the amount expected to pay is still the same? (as in 15k in need based, 10k in won-scholarship, and the same 50k that you need to pay?)

also, is it common for schools to pull need-based aid if they find out you received outside scholarships? that kinda seems counterintuitive to people finding outside scholarships. for example, you get 25k in need-based aid. and then you have 50k that you need to pay. so you enter in scholarship competitions and win 10k in scholarships. is it common for the need-based aid to now be reduced by the 10k you won in scholarship money, and then the amount expected to pay is still the same? (as in 15k in need based, 10k in won-scholarship, and the same 50k that you need to pay?)
Schools want to know if you receive outside scholarships, but I'm not sure why. I feel like if it is loans they shouldn't care since we have to pay it back anyway. But in the case you presented, they shouldn't pull need-based aid IMO.

Just found out that there was an error in my css profile and fafsa. School's didn't catch it till now until I asked Jeff to review everything again.

My dad made the changes to my sister's information for undergrad as well and she qualified for way better aid so we resubmitted to UMass and to Jeff. Lets see what happens...

My head hurts... I thought I was going to make a decision today.

Schools want to know if you receive outside scholarships, but I'm not sure why. I feel like if it is loans they shouldn't care since we have to pay it back anyway. But in the case you presented, they shouldn't pull need-based aid IMO.

I stopped applying to outside aide in college when they replaced institutional grants with the scholarships I got. I realized it wasn't worth the effort since it really didn't help me at all. Sure, it might have helped the school distribute more aid since I wasn't taking any, but I wasn't going to spend hours applying for outside scholarships when it had absolutely zero impact on my aid.

Also, if the scholarship is made out in your name and not in the school's name, I wouldn't disclose it to the school.

Reactions: 1 users
OregonTrailScreenshot.png

You know she's taking the Oregon trail.
Inventory:
Oxen: 1
Blankets: 0
Food: 0
Extra Clothes: 0
Money: 0
Boxes of bullets: 9999

@hellanutella, you shot 15450 pounds of meat. You can carry 200 lbs back to the wagon.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to all new accepted folks!! Woohoo!!

I really want to play Oregon Trail now. Fear of dysentery and fording rivers is strong.

Reactions: 4 users
The EFC calculated on the FAFSA SAR is basically meaningless. My SAR EFC was 0, but of my three acceptances, only one school calculated an EFC of zero on their own, and the other two got significantly different five-figure numbers. Schools vary in how they do their internal calculations.

Reactions: 2 users
The EFC calculated on the FAFSA SAR is basically meaningless. My SAR EFC was 0, but of my three acceptances, only one school calculated an EFC of zero on their own, and the other two got significantly different five-figure numbers. Schools vary in how they do their internal calculations.

Yeah, EFC was vastly different at the different schools where I applied for financial aid. It was almost funny.

It could just be their minimal parental contribution independent of EFC. Yes, you can borrow the 25k as well. Many schools also have minimal student contribution. You can't ask the school to change their need based fin aid formula or policy for you. But you can ask the school to recalculate or clarify the package to see if they've made a mistake. One person I know had similar issue and it turned out it was a mistake in data input.

Just found out that there was an error in my css profile and fafsa. School's didn't catch it till now until I asked Jeff to review everything again.

My dad made the changes to my sister's information for undergrad as well and she qualified for way better aid so we resubmitted to UMass and to Jeff. Lets see what happens...

My head hurts... I thought I was going to make a decision today.

I stopped applying to outside aide in college when they replaced institutional grants with the scholarships I got. I realized it wasn't worth the effort since it really didn't help me at all. Sure, it might have helped the school distribute more aid since I wasn't taking any, but I wasn't going to spend hours applying for outside scholarships when it had absolutely zero impact on my aid.

Also, if the scholarship is made out in your name and not in the school's name, I wouldn't disclose it to the school.
Most schools have policy that outside aid replaces loan first. So it will make an impact. The odd balls are the ones that have some kind of limit as to the upper limit of the amount of scholarships you can get. Most set it as tuition. For example, the Olin scholars at WashU would get full tuition scholarship from outside funding. However the same people almost always also have the dean's scholarship (n=2) which also offer full tuition scholarships by the school. The same person can also have nearly full need based aid. With 3 times coverage of the tuition, one still have to borrow loan to cover living expenses and none of the extra money can be used to cover cost of living. But still it's amazing deal anyway. The school might just want to help more students. Which is fair.

So yeah, no point of applying to outside source of scholarship in that case, but in most cases outside source do help. And in some cases the combined merit and need scholly can make it to the entire COA.

Last edited:

Exceedingly uncommon for the schools to do so. Even those that do, it's only because your total scholarships might have reached a certain amount like the cost of tuition or something. In your situations, all the schools that I know of will now have you borrow only 40k.

Members don't see this ad :)
Non stop money talk from FFH again...sorrrrrieeee. :p

Ill get my updated aid from umass tomorrow morning. I think my decision is made for me.

Again, this is why I refused to fall in love with a school. It's not an economical decision.

Also ffh, what I described aid is how it worked for me for undergrad.

hey guys, i have a question about financial aid. if i have an EFC of 0, how much in need based grants/scholarship (not merit or loans) is it reasonable to expect? also, if my EFC is 0, would schools still expect "family contribution" to be anything above 0?

In my UG experience lot of it comes down to the financial aid office not having the budget to meet a student's need (even though we all know the endowments are plentiful).

I have to begin the task of putting all of my life's belongings into the back of my Honda Civic.... Yikes.

Unrelated, what do you guys recommend in terms of note taking apps? I have an iPad and a MacBook Pro, so something that syncs between them is important. I imagine that I'll want to annotate PowerPoints and PDFs, and I want to have a really good organisational system within the app so I can refer back to things with ease.

Notability. There is an iPad and Mac version that sync with each other.

Need a new show to watch on Netflix, any suggestions?
Lilly Hammer. Give it 30mins. Hooking you up for life.

Basically: Brooklyn mob goes to the Scandinavian with a new identity. If this is not intriguing enough, I don't know what is.

I have to begin the task of putting all of my life's belongings into the back of my Honda Civic.... Yikes.

Unrelated, what do you guys recommend in terms of note taking apps? I have an iPad and a MacBook Pro, so something that syncs between them is important. I imagine that I'll want to annotate PowerPoints and PDFs, and I want to have a really good organisational system within the app so I can refer back to things with ease.

Back around to this discussion again... I'm leaning toward the surface guys, the price drop was great and I think I would like the touch screen. Thoughts?

Need a new show to watch on Netflix, any suggestions?

MASH. Watching way too much of that show with my grandfather probably contributed to my career decisions. It's not on netflix, but I'm catching up on the Americans right now, which is pretty great.

EDIT: and broad city. Funniest show around right now.

Currently watching House of Cards. If you haven't seen it yet you need to.

Other favorites include Friends, the Office, Scrubs, House, Sherlock (not sure if it's on Netflix?), and 30 Rock

Sherlock is on Netflix!

If you guys want a seriously amazing, high-quality show, please watch Dexter. It's incredible and "relevant" for us blood-loving will-be surgeons :)

Oh and stop after season 4. Seasons 5-8 are crap. Ugh new writers can really ruin a show.

Ah! I loved Dexter-- it got weird at the end, but great nonetheless!

Sherlock is on Netflix!

If you guys want a seriously amazing, high-quality show, please watch Dexter. It's incredible and "relevant" for us blood-loving will-be surgeons :)

Oh and stop after season 4. Seasons 5-8 are crap. Ugh new writers can really ruin a show.

Oh god, season 8. The finale still makes me cringe.

Sherlock is on Netflix!

Yaassss Dexterrrrrr! Except yeah, the last half wasn't as good as the first. That finale was really lacking.

Watch Louie on netflix. Hilarious and sentimental at the same time.

I actually found Louie to be crude enough at times that I gave it up after several episodes. Not for everyone I guess.

Yeah it can be very crude at times, and often a bit surreal. But if you like Louis CK it is worth a watch as he writes, directs, and acts in the episodes himself.

Don't get me started on the heartbreak that was season 8 of Dexter, especially that finale. I don't consider my taste in movies, books, or television shows extremely highbrow, and unlike @DirkN, I enjoyed seasons 5-7, but season 8 was truly unforgivable. Do yourself a favor and skip the ending.

My mom and I have been watching Gilmore Girls. It's on Netflix, it's a feel good show, and I'm going to Yale just like Rory! :love:

I would like to echo others' recommendations for House of Cards and Breaking Bad. Six Feet Under is another good one, if you want a darkly funny show that makes you laugh and cry multiple times in a single episode. Plus, you get to see a young Dexter go to work on the corpses in his morgue! ;)

I think Louie is also worth a watch. Be forewarned that, even though it is a comedy, there have been episodes where I didn't laugh once, and was instead left reflecting on what an unjust world we live in.

I'm watching Private Practice and just finished A Different World! I'll definitely check these other shows out :)

Don't get me started on the heartbreak that was season 8 of Dexter, especially that finale. I don't consider my taste in movies, books, or television shows extremely highbrow, and unlike @DirkN, I enjoyed seasons 5-7, but season 8 was truly unforgivable. Do yourself a favor and skip the ending.

My mom and I have been watching Gilmore Girls. It's on Netflix, it's a feel good show, and I'm going to Yale just like Rory! :love:

I would like to echo others' recommendations for House of Cards and Breaking Bad. Six Feet Under is another good one, if you want a darkly funny show that makes you laugh and cry multiple times in a single episode. Plus, you get to see a young Dexter go to work on the corpses in his morgue! ;)

Go Gilmore girls. I knew a pair of mother daughter team like that. Their daily conversation needs to be a reality podcast. Oh man, you just spoiled the ending for me. I haven't seen the parts where Rory went to Yale. You are so going to pay for this.

I have very carefully weaned myself off of TV (aside from my weekly dose of GoT) but my mother has been super into telenovelas and got me hooked on Lo Que la Vida Me Robó. My Spanish is utterly deplorable, but I feel like my listening skills have sllloowly been improving. The show itself is so over-the-top dramatic that I just can't take it sometimes. Love triangles, secret family members, deceit, intrigue, angry tears, etc. It's on Netflix if you want to brush up on your Español and be overwhelmed with drama.

@Cyberdyne 101 would be pleased to know that I've replaced a lot of my TV-watching time with Skyrim. ;)

And I just have to give one last quick shout out for survivor... Next season is an all star season and the fans are voting for the returning players they want to come back..how awesome is that? Give the show a chance, I promise you wont be disappointed.

@sunflower18 can vouch!

And I just have to give one last quick shout out for survivor... Next season is an all star season and the fans are voting for the returning players they want to come back..how awesome is that? Give the show a chance, I promise you wont be disappointed.

@sunflower18 can vouch!

Ahhhhh yessss!!!! Who are you hoping to see back?!

And thanks all for your note taking app suggestions!!!

Ahhhhh yessss!!!! Who are you hoping to see back?!

And thanks all for your note taking app suggestions!!!

Haha I cant wait for the episode tonight and the finale next week!! I think I'll die if mike goes home :(((

My votes have been (its sad that I remember these by heart):

Andrew Savage
Jeff Varner
Shane Powers
Terry Dietz
Stephen Fishbach (favorite)
Vytas Bushkauskas
Spencer Bledsoe
Jeremy Collins
Joe Anglim
Max Dawson

T-Bird
Pei-Gee Law
Sabrina
Kelley Wentworth
Chaos Kass
Monica Padilla
Shirin
Abi Marria
Tasha Fox
Ciera Eastin

I dont care if I have exams every thursday next year, wednesday nights will always be my survivor + beer + pizza night haha

Haha I cant wait for the episode tonight and the finale next week!! I think I'll die if mike goes home :(((

My votes have been (its sad that I remember these by heart):

Andrew Savage
Jeff Varner
Shane Powers
Terry Dietz
Stephen Fishbach (favorite)
Vytas Bushkauskas
Spencer Bledsoe
Jeremy Collins
Joe Anglim
Max Dawson

T-Bird
Pei-Gee Law
Sabrina
Kelley Wentworth
Chaos Kass
Monica Padilla
Shirin
Abi Marria
Tasha Fox
Ciera Eastin

I dont care if I have exams every thursday next year, wednesday nights will always be my survivor + beer + pizza night haha

Oh I know. Rodney is the worst. Mike is great.

Ahhhh I like some of those people!! Haha! Joe, Spencer, Stephen, and Vytas are my favourite of the men you listed. Tasha, Ciera, and Kelley are my favourite of the women you listed.

I LOVE SURVIVOR!

aw man, what was the price difference? though you'll be happy with this choice in 4 years, I'm sure of it.

27k a year.

Ill need a car, but cost of living is much lower out there. It'll even out in four years if not be way more even after the car is taken into account.