Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nonsense on the new thread category. WE ARE ACCEPTED! We are class of 2019. We can start a 2019 in allo med students and no one will bat an eye! No doubt now. We are part of the club. We made it through the first part and now we are medical students.
Not to crush the fun, but come on, we're not medical students until orientation. That doesn't mean we can't post in Allo, but still.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
That moment you realize you start school in two months. :wow:

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I i just gave this girl I know from work a heart attack when I told her she should apply to like 20 schools when she said she was planning on doing 16.

She has a 30 and a 3.7 and hadn't looked at MSAR.

Also, she said that pre med advisor told her that schools can see how many places you apply to. Is it just me or is that total bs?

No that would be horrible...

OMG WHY IS EVERYONE GETTING ENGAGEDDDDDD
IS ANYONE ELSE NOTICING THIS TREND

Wedding season is starting!!!! :D :D :D

Reactions: 1 users
No that would be horrible...

Wedding season is starting!!!! :D :D :D

Indeed

4b353626d2c5b93c5a2e93825629fa6c.jpg

@Australopithekus YOU MADE IT YOUR ICON?!?!?

@ProbablyAPenguin ditto. Seeing some schools start the first week of July was actually a huge con for me as I would have only had something like ~10 days to wind down from work and get my affairs in order.

Reactions: 3 users
I start in early August and it was the latest start date out of all my schools. Sighhh.
I feel like I'm the latest. First day of school is August 17th haha! Basically like high school and college all over again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I'm the latest. First day of school is August 17th haha!
First day of class on August 24th haha! #oneupped (jk! :))
I think we move in for pre-orientation activities on the 13th, though, with actual orientation week starting on the 17th :)

Reactions: 5 users
First day of class on August 24th haha! #oneupped (jk! :))
I think we move in for pre-orientation activities on the 13th, though, with actual orientation week starting on the 17th :)
Sweet!! :) Yeah similar schedule with orientation, ours start on the 10th!

My school starts orientation August 31! One of many reasons it was my top choice... I definitely could not have handled a July start without going a little crazy.

Reactions: 4 users
Damn it July 27th orientation date lololol.

Also, @gettheleadout, this one's for you:

Reactions: 1 user
I think I i just gave this girl I know from work a heart attack when I told her she should apply to like 20 schools when she said she was planning on doing 16.

She has a 30 and a 3.7 and hadn't looked at MSAR.

Also, she said that pre med advisor told her that schools can see how many places you apply to. Is it just me or is that total bs?
Like most pre-med advisors, he's also full of doodoo. No. They can't.

I don't even want to know how sad my financial aid will be... But like I'd said, it's just money. I'm happy to be in this dilemma.

My orientation starts last week of July, classes start August 3rd :(

I'd love to start later in the summer, but I'm so grateful for the opportunity that I'd start tomorrow if I had to!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
My orientation starts last week of July, classes start August 3rd :( I

I'd love to start later in the summer, but I'm so grateful for the opportunity that I'd start tomorrow if I had to!

Focusing on the positives? Love it!

Reactions: 6 users

I'm still super excited for you! You and familyaerospace :)

*High five* We basically start at the same time. Let's make this last summer count!

Everyone here is so lucky! Choosing between two schools... orientation at one is the last week of July, the other starts orientation the 2nd week of July :eek:

Been away from here for a while but thought I'd drop back in. Glad to see everyone has had awesome success.

I myself will be matriculating at Pitt!

Reactions: 22 users
*High five* We basically start at the same time. Let's make this last summer count!

definitely! quitting my job soon, some relaxation time, then a nice vacation planned with my boys. going to be a good last hurrah!

Reactions: 3 users
As many of you know, I resell clothes every now and then to make some extra dough.

Having a killer month so far including selling some of my personal stuff. Seriously wish I'd had more time to do this over the last year. I probably could have paid for all my interview expenses this way!

Been away from here for a while but thought I'd drop back in. Glad to see everyone has had awesome success.

I myself will be matriculating at Pitt!
Pitt is so good. Maybe me and @hellanutella can both ask to be taken back and then we can all buy a beautiful old house together and live and learn happily ever after...:

Reactions: 4 users
Dang I feel for all of you with early orientation dates. Mine starts August 10th.

AAAAAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Just bought my one-way ticket to medschool-land. It's happening guys! It's exciting and terrifying and expensive and causes all sorts of feelings. Most of the time I'm pretty emotionally numb to the fact that I'll be going back to studentdom and moving across the country, but there's those little moments when the reality hits me. It'll feel weird not to have a "job" for the next 4 (or more?) years, but I think it'll be a change for the better.

Good luck to everyone waiting right now!

Reactions: 19 users
@Temerit HOLY CRAP MAN, THAT'S AMAZING!
giphy.gif

You really were put in for the long haul this year :( ... but I am so so so ecstatic that it rounded out with a happy ending! You definitely deserve it! And you'll get to be classmates with @jsquared91 which is a huge bonus in itself!

Reactions: 7 users
AAAAAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Just bought my one-way ticket to medschool-land. It's happening guys! It's exciting and terrifying and expensive and causes all sorts of feelings. Most of the time I'm pretty emotionally numb to the fact that I'll be going back to studentdom and moving across the country, but there's those little moments when the reality hits me. It'll feel weird not to have a "job" for the next 4 (or more?) years, but I think it'll be a change for the better.

One-way ticket!! Wow talk about finality

AAAAAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Wait are you flying or driving? If flying how are you getting your stuff across the coasttttt?

Haha about time @Temerit. If there was one applicant I was completely surprised was still in wait list limbo, it was you. Congrats!

Haha about time @Temerit. If there was one applicant I was completely surprised was still in wait list limbo, it was you. Congrats!

Haha thanks, it feels so good to finally be able to join this thread. Stoked for August!

Reactions: 13 users
Wait are you flying or driving? If flying how are you getting your stuff across the coasttttt?

Flying! I'm getting a car carrier to ship my car out (I have a small enough amount of stuff that it can be put in the trunk without incurring extra fees). Blessedly, my place is furnished, so I'm basically just shipping winter clothes, kitchen stuff, and bedding out. Oh, and my oversized stuffed narwhal.

And praise thee lord for Southwest's two free checked bags. :love:

OregonTrailScreenshot.png

You know she's taking the Oregon trail.

Hopefully I won't die of dysentery.

I have to begin the task of putting all of my life's belongings into the back of my Honda Civic.... Yikes.

Unrelated, what do you guys recommend in terms of note taking apps? I have an iPad and a MacBook Pro, so something that syncs between them is important. I imagine that I'll want to annotate PowerPoints and PDFs, and I want to have a really good organisational system within the app so I can refer back to things with ease.

hey guys, i have a question about financial aid. if i have an EFC of 0, how much in need based grants/scholarship (not merit or loans) is it reasonable to expect? also, if my EFC is 0, would schools still expect "family contribution" to be anything above 0?

hey guys, i have a question about financial aid. if i have an EFC of 0, how much in need based grants/scholarship (not merit or loans) is it reasonable to expect? also, if my EFC is 0, would schools still expect "family contribution" to be anything above 0?
It depends on what the school wants to give you. I had an EFC of 0 and have received loans only, but I'm a bleh applicant haha. If you have great numbers or other aspects of your application and a school feels inclined to give you money to steal you away from other schools, you'll likely receive need based grants/scholarships.

Edit: Also they likely won't expect a family contribution of anything above 0

It depends on what the school wants to give you. I had an EFC of 0 and have received loans only, but I'm a bleh applicant haha. If you have great numbers or other aspects of your application and a school feels inclined to give you money to steal you away from other schools, you'll likely receive need based grants/scholarships.

Edit: Also they likely won't expect a family contribution of anything above 0

ahh really. so admissions and fin aid are unfortunately linked together? i ask because i just received a fin aid package from a top15. they expect my parents to contribute 25k (with our family income <45k), and then i received about 25k in scholarship and 30k in loans. is this normal? am i considered lucky or is the expected family contribution oddly high?

ahh really. so admissions and fin aid are unfortunately linked together? i ask because i just received a fin aid package from a top15. they expect my parents to contribute 25k (with our family income <45k), and then i received about 25k in scholarship and 30k in loans. is this normal? am i considered lucky or is the expected family contribution oddly high?
180k in loans including undergrad debt is the national average. I'd say you're on the luckier side but not by a lot.

I have to begin the task of putting all of my life's belongings into the back of my Honda Civic.... Yikes.

Unrelated, what do you guys recommend in terms of note taking apps? I have an iPad and a MacBook Pro, so something that syncs between them is important. I imagine that I'll want to annotate PowerPoints and PDFs, and I want to have a really good organisational system within the app so I can refer back to things with ease.

not sure about annotating PDFS, but the app Pages works great for me for taking notes (kinda like word, but easily transferrable between iPad and Mac).