Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hahah I don't know if I should be creeped out or honored. I feel bad that I didn't keep up with school impressions -- oops! Anyways, I think it may be a sign that the next time I open SDN on a laptop, it's time to remove the mdapps link from my username :p

I've been binge watching TV shows lately. In the past two weeks I have: (finally) finished the last two seasons of 30 Rock, blasted through Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, did my annual re-watch of Firefly, started and then abandoned The Flash and Fresh Off the Boat, and got caught up on this seasons's Orphan Black and Game of Thrones. Now I'm trying to decide between Fargo and True Detective. Any votes either way??
Firefly. I approve.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've read a couple books, watched a couple movies, and finally found a Korean drama that doesn't center around women and/or a romantic love plot.

Debating whether I should read Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude or Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain, though. Both seem very long, particularly The Magic Mountain (over 700 pages). Anyone have experience with reading either?

Good summer so far, though :) Got an email earlier this week about ordering the white coat and orientation week activities
I've read both One Hundred Years of Solitude and The Magic Mountain.

I've found the ending of One Hundred Years of Solitude to be haunting and devastating. It's a work that stays with you for a very long time.

The Magic Mountain is also an incredible piece of literature, it provides a pointed allegory to pre-WWI Europe, as the most of the story is set in a luxurious international tuberculosis sanatorium in the Alps. However, Mann has a habit of going on and on and on, and unless you like very long and drawn out discussion of humanism and radicalism (which I genuinely liked, but very few people do), I'd go with One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read both One Hundred Years of Solitude and The Magic Mountain.

I've found the ending of One Hundred Years of Solitude to be haunting and devastating. It's a work that stays with you for a very long time.
:eek: Didn't expect that kind of a response. Certainly has my interest piqued.

The Magic Mountain is also an incredible piece of literature, it provides a pointed allegory to pre-WWI Europe, as the most of the story is set in a luxurious international tuberculosis sanatorium in the Alps. However, Mann has a habit of going on and on and on, and unless you like very long and drawn out discussion of humanism and radicalism (which I genuinely liked, but very few people do), I'd go with One Hundred Years of Solitude.
Well, I guess I should have clarified that I'm not picking between the two (I wasn't sure if I should read one, or the other, or both, or neither). I just wanted some input on both. Judging by the length, I imagine Mann is the type to go into long-winded diatribes at times (I suppose in a manner similar to how Haruki Murakami likes to go into detailed descriptions of things at times).

Thanks for the info. I was beginning to worry no one had read The Magic Mountain :)

I haven't read One Hundred Years of Solitude but I've read House of the Spirits, and I've heard they are quite similar. I wonder if reading both would be redundant?

Greetings from Burma/Myanmar! I'm going to start reading Burmese days now.

I've read a couple books, watched a couple movies, and finally found a Korean drama that doesn't center around women and/or a romantic love plot.

Debating whether I should read Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude or Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain, though. Both seem very long, particularly The Magic Mountain (over 700 pages). Anyone have experience with reading either?

Good summer so far, though :) Got an email earlier this week about ordering the white coat and orientation week activities

You need to read 100 years of solitude. It will blow your mind. I read and reread passages and couldn't put it down. So freaking beautiful. I want to read it again soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Final in biochem tomorrow, then I'm free for a few weeks. Moving away two weeks from today. This is so bittersweet. I want to get started but at the same time I want to maintain my innocence and live where I grew up for a little bit longer. It's happening so fast.

I haven't read One Hundred Years of Solitude but I've read House of the Spirits, and I've heard they are quite similar. I wonder if reading both would be redundant?
Well, similar in the same way that Pride and Prejudice is similar to Jane Eyre. Or that a short story by Bernard Malamud is similar to a short story by Isaac Bashevis Singer. Or that all Asians look alike to non-Asians. Magical Realism is a vast category. . .and, as we might expect from magicians, each magical writer shares a few fundamental tricks, but has others that are unique and distinctive. Give Gabriel Garcia Marquez a try, and you will be entranced. . . and ready for Borges!

:eek: Didn't expect that kind of a response. Certainly has my interest piqued.

Well, I guess I should have clarified that I'm not picking between the two (I wasn't sure if I should read one, or the other, or both, or neither). I just wanted some input on both. Judging by the length, I imagine Mann is the type to go into long-winded diatribes at times (I suppose in a manner similar to how Haruki Murakami likes to go into detailed descriptions of things at times).

Thanks for the info. I was beginning to worry no one had read The Magic Mountain :)
@RedPhys, if that didn't intrigue sufficiently, here is the best opening line since "Call me Ishmael" or "riverrun past Eve and Adam's" or "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a fortune must be in search of a wife" : "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice cream." Yield to the temptation. . . :shifty:

Well, similar in the same way that Pride and Prejudice is similar to Jane Eyre. Or that a short story by Bernard Malamud is similar to a short story by Isaac Bashevis Singer. Or that all Asians look alike to non-Asians. Magical Realism is a vast category. . .and, as we might expect from magicians, each magical writer shares a few fundamental tricks, but has others that are unique and distinctive. Give Gabriel Garcia Marquez a try, and you will be entranced. . . and ready for Borges!

I didn't mean in the magical realism sense necessarily! I am more than aware of the diversity within the genre, believe me! I meant that both stories revolve around several generations of a family during a turbulent time in Latin American history, with the emphasis on how the grandparent figure influenced the lives of her loved ones, etc. I took a class on Hispanic literature in college in which we read a critical essay that outlined comparisons between the two novels, and we then read House of the Spirits. But I should probably read One Hundred Years Of Solitude -- I've liked many of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's works.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't mean in the magical realism sense necessarily! I am more than aware of the diversity within the genre, believe me! I meant that both stories revolve around several generations of a family during a turbulent time in Latin American history, with the emphasis on how the grandparent figure influenced the lives of her loved ones, etc. I took a class on Hispanic literature in college in which we read a critical essay that outlined comparisons between the two novels, and we then read House of the Spirits. But I should probably read One Hundred Years Of Solitude -- I've liked many of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's works.
Oh, @sunflower18, I understand! I had a class that focused on postcolonial women writers. . .the search for patterns was interesting. My comment will make more sense after you've read the novel, I guess. Seriously, couldn't we describe all the Bronte and Austen novels as "novels of courtship among the financially challenged gentry of early 19th Century England"? We could even add that the heroines are educated and spunky. I just didn't want you to believe that the books are interchangeable. . .both masterpieces, but very individual.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may be late, but I also vote for True Detective. 1st season is amazing television, and I don't say that lightly.

Medical school is SUPER HARD. But I love it. First test in a week on the back, arms, legs and its relevant neuro. LETS DO IT

Reactions: 13 users
Haven't been on here nearly as much as I was last year, but I'm still alive!

Oh and a big 'ol shoutout to @Temerit on Pritzker! So happy your cycle could end on a high note! You really did deserve this awesome reward for all that waiting.

Reactions: 14 users
Oh and a big 'ol shoutout to @Temerit on Pritzker! So happy your cycle could end on a high note! You really did deserve this awesome reward for all that waiting.

Thank you so much! I'm so glad things worked out in the end :)

Reactions: 11 users
Thank you so much! I'm so glad things worked out in the end :)
UChicago and Northwestern?

Seems like the city has a special place in its heart for you ;)

Congrats!

As a side note, did you guys know this thread was starting in August of 2011. I just didn't expect that.

Just wrapped up a week long vacation with my husband and it was GREAT! Now back to real world, job, biochem review and pre-med-school panic! :) I absolutely recommend a little time to de stress before the roller-coaster starts!

Reactions: 3 users
I know there was talk about computers earlier, so now that I'm looking into buying a new laptop for med school, I figured I'd ask for advice here. I've pretty much decided on getting the MacBook Air, 13", but am a little worried about the functionality of MS office on a Mac after looking at online reviews.

Would it be worth the extra cost to get the larger storage so I could install a windows partition and use office for windows that way? Or is office on a Mac not as horribly crash-prone as I've been led to believe? I was originally going to go with the 128gb option and just buy a 1 tb external drive for storage, but now I'm not so sure.

For what it's worth, I've used Office for Mac for 4 years (throughout undergrad) without many crashes (rare enough that I can't recall any instances right now).
+1, except I can tell you with absolute certainty that I have had NO crashes.

I know there was talk about computers earlier, so now that I'm looking into buying a new laptop for med school, I figured I'd ask for advice here. I've pretty much decided on getting the MacBook Air, 13", but am a little worried about the functionality of MS office on a Mac after looking at online reviews.

Would it be worth the extra cost to get the larger storage so I could install a windows partition and use office for windows that way? Or is office on a Mac not as horribly crash-prone as I've been led to believe? I was originally going to go with the 128gb option and just buy a 1 tb external drive for storage, but now I'm not so sure.
Do you really think we will be typing that much? I would think it is mostly note taking which any number of apps should be fine for. I just got Libre Office so I didn't have to buy MS Office under that assumption.

For what it's worth, I've used Office for Mac for 4 years (throughout undergrad) without many crashes (rare enough that I can't recall any instances right now).

+1, except I can tell you with absolute certainty that I have had NO crashes.

Okay, this makes me feel a lot better about it, thank you! I don't need it to be super fancy, just didn't want to get something non-functional.

Do you really think we will be typing that much? I would think it is mostly note taking which any number of apps should be fine for. I just got Libre Office so I didn't have to buy MS Office under that assumption.

I honestly don't know, but just in case I want to leave my options fairly open. If nothing else, I fully intend on doing research in med school, and some of my earlier research experiences have required heavy use of excel. :shrug: I wouldn't be buying office right now, but if I do wind up needing it it's nice to know it could work.

FWIW I have also used MS Office on a Mac for 3 years and I've had PowerPoint crash on me twice, no other complaints. You should be totally fine without a dual OS.

This is great to know. I've been using the same hp laptop since undergrad that crashes every five minutes, weighs 15 pounds, and has to be plugged in to work. Was planning on getting a 13" MacBook Air as well, but my school REQUIRES that you run office on it. So I was a little concerned about that as well

This is great to know. I've been using the same hp laptop since undergrad that crashes every five minutes, weighs 15 pounds, and has to be plugged in to work. Was planning on getting a 13" MacBook Air as well, but my school REQUIRES that you run office on it. So I was a little concerned about that as well

Don't get the air, its end of line at this point (new macbook is out and Pro is being upgraded) and weaker compared to other ultrabooks. Screen is also subpar.

Get an refurbed 2014 retina Macbook Pro (13") through the apple website. It starts at $900-1k (cheaper than macbook air of same RAM/SSD), has better specs and performance, 10 hr battery, and is still light/compact. Its a much better value, and refurbed is effectively new - just some helpful advice.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

As for the topic - MS Office 2011 on mac is fine for what you will need to do; obviously not as good as windows but more than enough to get the job done.

Last edited:
A new 2016 version of office for Mac is scheduled for a fall release. Beta trials are already available for free.

PASSED MY FIRST MEDICAL SCHOOL EXAMS YEAAAAAAHHHHH :highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive:

Reactions: 23 users
It's been a while! I hope all is well! Starting classes next week at Mayo! I'm intimidated tbh but super excited as well! :oops:

Reactions: 16 users
It's been a while! I hope all is well! Starting classes next week at Mayo! I'm intimidated tbh but super excited as well! :oops:

Gahhhh! Best of luck to you! You'll do great! :)

I'm moving this weekend, but I don't start orientation until Aug 3. Can't wait!

Reactions: 6 users
Gahhhh! Best of luck to you! You'll do great! :)

I'm moving this weekend, but I don't start orientation until Aug 3. Can't wait!

You as well!!! And thank you :) I'm cutting it close (like I always do) and moving later this week, but it's only 3 hours north so I think should manage :p

You as well!!! And thank you :) I'm cutting it close (like I always do) and moving later this week, but it's only 3 hours north so I think should manage :p

happy for you guys! I move out in less than two weeks, and I'm pumped/nervous to get started. a lot to prove!

Reactions: 7 users
happy for you guys! I move out in less than two weeks, and I'm pumped/nervous to get started. a lot to prove!
Very pumped for you. I don't know much about the school itself, but both of the NYMC grads I worked with were incredibly compassionate.

One of my undergrad friends goes to NYMC. You should get to know him, he's a really funny guy.

Very pumped for you. I don't know much about the school itself, but both of the NYMC grads I worked with were incredibly compassionate.

thank you! I've known a couple myself and both were some of the most pleasant, compassionate physicians ever. makes me that much more excited!

One of my undergrad friends goes to NYMC. You should get to know him, he's a really funny guy.

haha I've still been going back and forth about keeping my anonymity on here, but I'll certainly shoot you a message soon if I decide meeting some cool people > anonymity

I get so jealous when I see people starting so soon. I still have two weeks at my job to get through -____-

Good luck everybody!

I get so jealous when I see people starting so soon. I still have two weeks at my job to get through -____-

Good luck everybody!

Time will go by faster than you think! Lol I was so ready to leave my job, and now that I'm gone... I kinda miss my job.