Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a Mac and haven't had any issues (knock on wood)

Members don't see this ad.

Still not working for me. I can pull up the VMCAS page on the AAVMC website, but as soon as I try to access, it tries to load for 3 minutes and then I get this:
Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Man. I really SHOULD put together a proposal for an alternative to VMCAS. I'm not sure who appoints VMCAS as the master-of-all-applications and if there is room for two vendors. I'd guess that it's a monopoly and that option isn't there.

But hell.... a good project manager, a good db person, a good web person, and a good general gofer to do all the legwork.... the whole online application process could be so VASTLY superior to what pre-vets have to deal with now. Probably couldn't do any better than VMCAS with regard to cost (just based on some back-of-the-envelope calculations), but there is no reason for the overall experience to suck.

Sigh. So many ideas, so little time in life.

For serious, I would help in whatever way possible. I start working in Nebraska in August and will have some extra time on my hands. I have some ideas of what I am going to do to fill that time, but I would put all of them on the back burner to help you. This needs to happen.

I also have not experienced any issues with the application. I did email VMCAS last week regarding the change about not needing to order experiences from least to most recent and received no reply. I assumed this was because of the holiday and hoped I would hear yesterday or today. I suppose a phone call is in order...

Doesn't VMCAS occasionally post on SD? Maybe they will chime in here soon. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was able to access the portal and log in from work, and same from home if I used my phone on data. But I can't access it from any of the computers at home. So weird!

I had different people tried getting onto the website. Both got on fine when they use iphones. One tried yesterday and one just now.

I WAS ABLE TO GET IN AND SUBMIT AN EVALUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS ABLE TO GET IN AND SUBMIT AN EVALUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
giphy.gif

Reactions: 6 users
VMCAS seems to be working normally for me now, too. Thank goodness!

@Gwenevre, I saw that while on break for my 3.5 hour physics 2 class and it just made my day. lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Unngh, GRE retake tomorrow morning. I. Don't. Wanna. :barf:

I somehow managed to get ~80th percentile on both my Verbal and Analytical Writing with barely any studying the last time, but my Quant score was horrendous. So that's what I've been focusing on; I'm really not that bad with numbers, but I just haven't done the type of math on the test in a good five or six years so it's basically like relearning it all over. I can run one-way and two-way ANOVAs and regressions by hand with minimal issue, I just can't seem to get myself to really excel at this "easier" material, especially because it's all written in tricky standardized test form.

I'd imagine that most of you guys probably do better on Quant than Verbal, so I seem to be one of the oddballs... if I could just hit 65th percentile on the Quant, while keeping my Verbal and Writing scores, that'd be more than sufficient for me.
I did better in the verbal and writing sections than the quant, and I never studied for those parts.

I somehow managed to get ~80th percentile on both my Verbal and Analytical Writing with barely any studying the last time, but my Quant score was horrendous. So that's what I've been focusing on; I'm really not that bad with numbers, but I just haven't done the type of math on the test in a good five or six years so it's basically like relearning it all over. I can run one-way and two-way ANOVAs and regressions by hand with minimal issue, I just can't seem to get myself to really excel at this "easier" material, especially because it's all written in tricky standardized test form.

I'd imagine that most of you guys probably do better on Quant than Verbal, so I seem to be one of the oddballs... if I could just hit 65th percentile on the Quant, while keeping my Verbal and Writing scores, that'd be more than sufficient for me.
I did better on the verbal and writing than the quant as well. Like you, I hadn't done the type of math in 5 years at least. Meanwhile I did a writing major and a lit minor so studying for those sections was not necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)

I also did better significantly better on verbal than quant.

Although my writing was suckish (3.5 :(). I kind of almost wish I'd skipped that portion. I really don't need it for the vet schools.

5.0 on writing, 64% on verbal, 32% on Quant. I feel your math pain. ;)

Haha, this makes me feel a bit better. I talk to other bio majors at my undergrad, and they nearly always act super surprised when I tell them what my Quant score is. Like, "How did you manage to score that badly when you got As in stats, physics, and did statistical work for two research projects?! Science majors are supposed to score high on the Quant section!"

I just took one of the PowerPrep practice tests. I actually scored a 163 (92nd %ile) on Verbal but only 151 (44th %ile) on the Quant. Gah. This does not bode well for tomorrow... :drowning:

Yeah... I think that's nonsense. There's nothing special about being a science major that prepped me for quant questions in my opinion.

If it makes you feel anymore confident, my quant practice test scores ranged from 147-155ish. I thought I was gonna be seriously screwed--because I needed 155 minimum--but I pulled off a 158.

We believe in you!

Any advise on how I should classify working a receptionist at a vet hospital. My direct manager was not a vet but my whole job was interfacing between clients and veterinarians. I don't want to list it as just work experience because I learned a LOT of medical stuff, like way more then I would ever expect. But I also feel like its almost cheating to say its veterinarian or animal experience.

Any advise on how I should classify working a receptionist at a vet hospital. My direct manager was not a vet but my whole job was interfacing between clients and veterinarians. I don't want to list it as just work experience because I learned a LOT of medical stuff, like way more then I would ever expect. But I also feel like its almost cheating to say its veterinarian or animal experience.

I would definitely list it as employment because thats what it is.

Check with VCMAS, but I think at the very least that would be animal experience if not vet.

Polishing up my full CV to send to one of my science profs as I ask for a LOR. I'm not sure which of two profs to ask . I was a commuter who lived an hour away and was also working and dealing with lots of family stuff, so I wasn't able to hang around on campus and get to know my professors. My first time around undergrad, I got to know my professors a lot better, and it made a huge difference when I applied to grad schools, so I'm getting pretty worried about this as the VMCAS deadline approaches.

One is my microbiology prof. I got to chat with her a couple of times and talk about her research and my background, but I'm worried she won't have much to say. She was impressed by my work, but I don't know how much she'll remember, since my last class was last fall semester. The other was my advisor. I had her for one of the intro bio courses, which had an enrollment of something like 150 students, so I didn't really interact with her in class. But I did chat with her in her office several times, and she's more familiar with my background and had encouraged me to apply for an adjunct position teaching foreign languages (I didn't follow through because there was no way I could spare the time). I don't know if she could speak to my academic ability from first-hand experience, but she always acted impressed by my background and grades and she always remembered who I was and what I was doing whenever I ran into her on campus. Non-trad students are unusual at that school, so I think that helped me stick out.

I'm starting to think my advisor may be the safer bet, but my head's so muddled that I can't tell anymore. What do you guys think?

Polishing up my full CV to send to one of my science profs as I ask for a LOR. I'm not sure which of two profs to ask . I was a commuter who lived an hour away and was also working and dealing with lots of family stuff, so I wasn't able to hang around on campus and get to know my professors. My first time around undergrad, I got to know my professors a lot better, and it made a huge difference when I applied to grad schools, so I'm getting pretty worried about this as the VMCAS deadline approaches.

One is my microbiology prof. I got to chat with her a couple of times and talk about her research and my background, but I'm worried she won't have much to say. She was impressed by my work, but I don't know how much she'll remember, since my last class was last fall semester. The other was my advisor. I had her for one of the intro bio courses, which had an enrollment of something like 150 students, so I didn't really interact with her in class. But I did chat with her in her office several times, and she's more familiar with my background and had encouraged me to apply for an adjunct position teaching foreign languages (I didn't follow through because there was no way I could spare the time). I don't know if she could speak to my academic ability from first-hand experience, but she always acted impressed by my background and grades and she always remembered who I was and what I was doing whenever I ran into her on campus. Non-trad students are unusual at that school, so I think that helped me stick out.

I'm starting to think my advisor may be the safer bet, but my head's so muddled that I can't tell anymore. What do you guys think?

If I were in your position (and I very well may end up there) I would choose the advisor. It seems that you spent more time with her than you did with your other professor.

For extracurricular activities or other experiences where there was no actual organization (like dog show handling)... do you think I should just put "self"? Because the organization field is required so I have to put something.

Sending thank you cards/gifts to LOR writers, weird or okay? I plan on giving one to my boss because I see him daily, but what about people you don't?

One is my lab PI and I worked with her for a year and a half so I was thinking I'd drop off a thank you card in person, but one is an old prof who has now moved to a new university. I know which university, she told us before she left and we talked about it in our emails when I asked for an LOR, so it's easy to find her mailbox address for the school. But would that be weird?

If I don't get in this year I'd really like for her to be an evaluator next year since I know her well and she can speak to my academic ability, so I really don't want to do anything that could make her uncomfortable.

I'm probably over thinking this aren't I? haha

Sending thank you cards/gifts to LOR writers, weird or okay? I plan on giving one to my boss because I see him daily, but what about people you don't?

One is my lab PI and I worked with her for a year and a half so I was thinking I'd drop off a thank you card in person, but one is an old prof who has now moved to a new university. I know which university, she told us before she left and we talked about it in our emails when I asked for an LOR, so it's easy to find her mailbox address for the school. But would that be weird?

If I don't get in this year I'd really like for her to be an evaluator next year since I know her well and she can speak to my academic ability, so I really don't want to do anything that could make her uncomfortable.

I'm probably over thinking this aren't I? haha

Professionally speaking, a thank you card once the eval has been submitted is appropriate. A gift... not so much.

Professionally speaking, a thank you card once the eval has been submitted is appropriate. A gift... not so much.

I think it depends very much on the relationship. If I had a professor I knew sorta so-so write me an eLOR, I'd send a thank you and be done with it. If I had a veterinarian who had let me shadow day in and day out for two years at the clinic who then wrote me an eLOR .... well, that calls for a meaningful gift.

Like everything, it's contextual.

I took Calc 1 on the quarter system at a community college in high school, then had to take it again on the semester system at my current college since 1 quarter of credit doesn't equal 1 semester of credit. I did fine both times, but was wondering if I need to say something about this in the explanation statement? Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Started scrolling through here to get a feel for what you're all talking about.
Am I crazy for applying to 3+ schools? Lots of you are dead set on 1,(IMO) and that just seems too scary for me. Second, how's everyone prepared for GRE? I still need to schedule it. I feel like I'll kill the quant and suck on the verbal and writing, just usually my style.

My stats:
3.47 cum GPA,
3.5 or above science GPA
Pa resident- Pitt student
Lots of As in my prereqs, had to retake calc 1-(totally drops my GPAs) but took it at different institution so vmcas didn't count it as a repeat. ~1000 hours of animal and veterinary experience including small animal-500+ hours, wildlife-50 hours, zoo,animal - 288 hours, equine 70+ hours, research on Caenorhabditis elegans(microscopic worm)- 72 hours, and soon to pick up mixed animal/food animal experience.

Good luck to you all,

Can't wait to see what some of you have to say.

Am I crazy for applying to 3+ schools? Lots of you are dead set on 1,(IMO) and that just seems too scary for me. Second, how's everyone prepared for GRE? I still need to schedule it. I feel like I'll kill the quant and suck on the verbal and writing, just usually my style.

I'm set on one mainly because I would rather apply again next year than pay OOS tuition. No point in paying extra to apply to more schools when I know I won't go to them... at least not at this point when it's my first cycle.

That aside I don't meet requirements for a lot of schools. I tailored my undergraduate education to my IS school. So I don't have stats, which knocks out a lot of options and I have a lower GPA which also takes various options off the table.

But I think there are plenty of people who are applying to multiple schools. You're not alone, and certainly not crazy.

Last edited:
I'm applying to 3 schools. Some people apply to one, some people apply to a few, some people apply to a lot. There are pros and cons to all of these approaches.

Apply smart, whatever that looks like for your stats and circumstances. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 users

My stats:
3.47 cum GPA,
3.5 or above science GPA
Pa resident- Pitt student
Lots of As in my prereqs, had to retake calc 1-(totally drops my GPAs) but took it at different institution so vmcas didn't count it as a repeat. ~1000 hours of animal and veterinary experience including small animal-500+ hours, wildlife-50 hours, zoo,animal - 288 hours, equine 70+ hours, research on Caenorhabditis elegans(microscopic worm)- 72 hours, and soon to pick up mixed animal/food animal experience.

Good luck to you all,

Can't wait to see what some of you have to say.
Money, mainly. IS tuition at Mizzou is pretty dang affordable in comparison to most U.S. vet schools (cost of living isn't too shabby, either, even in a city like Columbia). However, I do recognize that the strengths of my particular application do not really align well with what the school is looking for; cumulative GPA comprises a massive chunk of the academic score at Mizzou, and mine is pretty... well... unspectacular. My science GPA is higher but that's not even considered in their process, and while my last 45 GPA is also pretty decently solid, it counts for only half of what the cumulative GPA does. About the only two "objective" measures I have going for me with their evaluation system is GRE and a high course load, neither of which ultimately add up to much. So, really, while the qualified IS applicant pool for Mizzou usually isn't very large at all, I am definitely at a disadvantage.

Recognizing that, I elected to pick one extra school - one that, while the admissions plays to the strengths of my resume, was also still within the realm of realistic affordability. I picked Iowa State. I could have easily chosen K-State, and in fact my undergrad has had good success with getting our students accepted there (perhaps even moreso than Mizzou)... but the OOS tuition alone is insane. I hate to be a stickler on the cost thing, but as someone with ~$45000 in loan debt already accrued from undergrad, taking further steps to lower the future (unfortunately pretty much inevitable) financial burden is important to me. I only wish that 18-year-old freshman me had fully understood what I was doing before I started down the slope.

If I have the money down the road, I may add a third school, but it seems like all of the others that would fit well with my stats are either extremely expensive (Minnesota, K-State) or have pre-reqs that I just won't be able to complete in time (mainly animal nutrition and science courses, as my undergrad has no animal science program and I'm more straight biology focused, anyway, so this excludes the comparatively affordable Oklahoma State) or both (Michigan State).

Also, I am poor and have no money right now (yay, working for free is FUN) and won't until I return to my regular tutoring job at my undergrad. I just don't have $500 to spend on applications to more schools at the moment, but I wanted to throw my hat in the ring regardless. Even if I don't get into either school, it's a good experience for next time if I choose to pursue applications another cycle. Plus, I'd rather spend the money to apply to cheaper schools two or even three times than get into an ultra-expensive one... it still will put me in much less of a hole.

Wow, I wrote a novel. Sorry about that! Just wanted to give you a peek into the thought process behind why I specifically chose the schools that I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I crazy for applying to 3+ schools? Lots of you are dead set on 1,(IMO) and that just seems too scary for me.

Oh god no, you're not crazy. I am probably the most vocal proponent on SDN for applying to fewer schools rather than the 8+ that I hear some people talk about ....... and even I wouldn't ever say 3 is 'crazy'. Seems like a very reasonable and appropriate choice, especially if you're whittled down the list to the 3 that make the most sense for you.

Money, mainly. IS tuition at Mizzou is pretty dang affordable in comparison to most U.S. vet schools (cost of living isn't too shabby, either, even in a city like Columbia). However, I do recognize that the strengths of my particular application do not really align well with what the school is looking for; cumulative GPA comprises a massive chunk of the academic score at Mizzou, and mine is pretty... well... unspectacular. My science GPA is higher but that's not even considered in their process, and while my last 45 GPA is also pretty decently solid, it counts for only half of what the cumulative GPA does. About the only two "objective" measures I have going for me with their evaluation system is GRE and a high course load, neither of which ultimately add up to much. So, really, while the qualified IS applicant pool for Mizzou usually isn't very large at all, I am definitely at a disadvantage.

Recognizing that, I elected to pick one extra school - one that, while the admissions plays to the strengths of my resume, was also still within the realm of realistic affordability. I picked Iowa State. I could have easily chosen K-State, and in fact my undergrad has had good success with getting our students accepted there (perhaps even moreso than Mizzou)... but the OOS tuition alone is insane. I hate to be a stickler on the cost thing, but as someone with ~$45000 in loan debt already accrued from undergrad, taking further steps to lower the future (unfortunately pretty much inevitable) financial burden is important to me. I only wish that 18-year-old freshman me had fully understood what I was doing before I started down the slope.

If I have the money down the road, I may add a third school, but it seems like all of the others that would fit well with my stats are either extremely expensive (Minnesota, K-State) or have pre-reqs that I just won't be able to complete in time (mainly animal nutrition and science courses, as my undergrad has no animal science program and I'm more straight biology focused, anyway, so this excludes the comparatively affordable Oklahoma State) or both (Michigan State).

Also, I am poor and have no money right now (yay, working for free is FUN) and won't until I return to my regular tutoring job at my undergrad. I just don't have $500 to spend on applications to more schools at the moment, but I wanted to throw my hat in the ring regardless. Even if I don't get into either school, it's a good experience for next time if I choose to pursue applications another cycle. Plus, I'd rather spend the money to apply to cheaper schools two or even three times than get into an ultra-expensive one... it still will put me in much less of a hole.

Wow, I wrote a novel. Sorry about that! Just wanted to give you a peek into the thought process behind why I specifically chose the schools that I did.
Are you applying as an IS? If so do you know your score? Your score can be a good indicator for how you do in the application process (the score you get is out of 40, the other 60 points comes from the interview/experience). I could be wrong on this, but if I recall, most if not all mizzou IS students that have all required prereqs get interviews, which is definitely nice.

Best of luck. I hope to see you next year! :) if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, although until I start classes, I will be much more helpful with application process questions then actual school questions :p

I have a potentially dumb question. If I wait until September 15th to submit my application, and something happens where my application isn't verified, do they let me fix it, or is that it, I'm screwed? Thanks.

I'm set on one mainly because I would rather apply again next year than pay OOS tuition. No point in paying extra to apply to more schools when I know I won't go to them... at least not at this point when it's my first cycle.

That aside I don't meet requirements for a lot of schools. I tailored my undergraduate education to my IS school. So I don't have stats, which knocks out a lot of options and I have a lower GPA which also takes various options off the table.

But I think there are plenty of people who are applying to multiple schools. You're not alone, and certainly not crazy.

I'm a PA resident so I'm screwed either way and I just want to get into school period.

For extracurricular activities or other experiences where there was no actual organization (like dog show handling)... do you think I should just put "self"? Because the organization field is required so I have to put something.

Repeating my question just because I'm not sure anybody saw it and now it's at least a page back.

Repeating my question just because I'm not sure anybody saw it and now it's at least a page back.

Hm. If there's not an overall organization it all falls under (like whatever umbrella organization oversaw the dog show stuff), I'd probably just write "Personal activity". Or something.

Question for all those non traditional-second career folks... How far back did you go for your employment/volunteer/ animal experience (not veterinary)?

Im 30 and graduated college in 2008. I feel as though my undergrad employment isn't relevant since I worked professionally for 7 years. Opinions please :)

Hey guys and gals,

Definitely didn't read the whole thread prior to this question, so sorry in advance if it's been answered. The VMCAS FAQ says to list experiences with most recent ones first, but a lot of the info on those pages seems to be outdated with old due dates, etc. There doesn't seem to be a way to reorder experiences and awards/honors once you input them.

I've been drafting each in a word document to try and order the dates, but I'm just curious if the VMCAS system does that even though it doesn't reflect it on our end. Reason being, I put in a bunch of awards yesterday and realized I forgot one. I deleted everything and re-inputted each so they showed up in order. Was that necessary, or does the system eventually do that on its own?

In prior years there was a thread comparing cost of tuition and actual cost for IS and OOS students, and a thread about comparing application types and stuff like that that helps people narrow down which schools to apply to. Do they still exist? (In updated form?)
Sorry, I'm getting to the party late. I just finished a MS and said I'd rather go into industry than deal with applications again. I said I'd only apply if they begged me to. Well, they begged. So if I'm gonna do this, I gotta get it done fast and I might as well apply to somewhere else just in case...
I really want a dairy reproduction PhD to go with it, any suggestions?

Hey guys and gals,

Definitely didn't read the whole thread prior to this question, so sorry in advance if it's been answered. The VMCAS FAQ says to list experiences with most recent ones first, but a lot of the info on those pages seems to be outdated with old due dates, etc. There doesn't seem to be a way to reorder experiences and awards/honors once you input them.

I've been drafting each in a word document to try and order the dates, but I'm just curious if the VMCAS system does that even though it doesn't reflect it on our end. Reason being, I put in a bunch of awards yesterday and realized I forgot one. I deleted everything and re-inputted each so they showed up in order. Was that necessary, or does the system eventually do that on its own?

There has been a lot of discussion about that previously. I called VMCAS two days ago and asked them... " You say that the experiences need to be listed with the most recent ones first but does that mean each time I forgot something I have to go in and delete them all to put them in correct order again. Also, there has been talk that once submitted the VMCAS will order the experiences for you, is this correct?"

There response was that the website was supposed to allow the applicant to reorder their experiences after being added but there was an issue and it won't be fixed until next year. So for this years applicants, try and put them in order but don't worry about it too much. If you forgot something and need to add it causing things to be out of order, it isn't a big deal and schools really don't care as they are more concerned with the content and not the order.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
You're awesome. Since you replied within 10 minutes, can I just keep you on speed dial for the rest of my VMCAS questions until September 15? :p

Hahah! I would say yes but Im pretty sure the VMCAS is going to stop answering my every other day calls very soon. Between them and MSU, I am so thankful for unlimited calling :clap:

Question for all those non traditional-second career folks... How far back did you go for your employment/volunteer/ animal experience (not veterinary)?

Im 30 and graduated college in 2008. I feel as though my undergrad employment isn't relevant since I worked professionally for 7 years. Opinions please :)
I put just about my entire work history. There were some minor temp positions that I excluded, but basically if it's on my current resume, I put it in there. Many schools might not care, but your previous jobs have molded you in some way and some of those skills will likely transfer over to vet med.

Reactions: 2 users

I applied at age 25 and included high school experiences (because I had small animal practice experience then, but not since, etc). If it were me, I'd include everything you can remember from high school on (vet, work, extra curriculars, etc). As far as I was concerned it wasn't up to me to decide what the schools thought were relevant or not, they could decide on their own if they wanted to look at my experiences from way back when (but they couldn't if I didn't include it to start with). Take from that what you will.

I applied at age 25 and included high school experiences (because I had small animal practice experience then, but not since, etc). If it were me, I'd include everything you can remember from high school on (vet, work, extra curriculars, etc). As far as I was concerned it wasn't up to me to decide what the schools thought were relevant or not, they could decide on their own if they wanted to look at my experiences from way back when (but they couldn't if I didn't include it to start with). Take from that what you will.

Ok, so I wanted to be a vet when I was a wee lad. I did some volunteer work and spent time in a clinic observing (couldn't really call it shadowing at that young an age) a DVM when I was very young. I'm non-trad now (28) and rekindled my childhood dream. This animal/vet experience is much earlier than high-school.

Should I include it, because it's something? Or should I just omit it?

Ok, so I wanted to be a vet when I was a wee lad. I did some volunteer work and spent time in a clinic observing (couldn't really call it shadowing at that young an age) a DVM when I was very young. I'm non-trad now (28) and rekindled my childhood dream. This animal/vet experience is much earlier than high-school.

In my opinion... Since you were really young, it would be something I would include in my personal statement but not in my experiences.

Include it. It's shadowing experience

Probably at that level I would omit it. I think high school and older, but anything earlier than that you could either mention in a personal statement or even in interviews if it's relevant. Or not. This is also coming from a pre-vet admissions session I attended at UMN where the people I talked with encouraged me to include HS and up as well as pet experience (as animal experience).