Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long might it generally take to get verified if your transcripts/materials were already received early on? Couple weeks? I finished essays and submitted on the due date :eggface:

I would assume it will be four weeks at this point. I also submitted everything on the due date last year (two hours to spare!) and it took about 3 weeks then.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh.... I submitted the 3rd and haven't yet. Ugh should I be worried?

I was the 3rd, and no I have not. Comforting to know you haven't either.
Don't be worried! The verification "line" probably isn't really a "line".

It's, you know....more like a dartboard ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Wooo 2020! Good luck to youz guyz!!!! Don't think I have been nearly as active this year in offering up thoughts, but think you all have done well supporting each other in this thread and will be a unified class.

Reactions: 6 users
Well, this is just peachy.

I went to check on my status, and it says 'awaiting materials.' What materials could I possibly be waiting for? Transcripts were sent in the beginning of August, and all 3 letters were in.

I hover over the button, and ta-da: They are claiming they do not have one of my schools transcripts. But I have a notification from them in all caps stating, 'VMCAS RECEIVED YOUR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS FROM X INSTITUTION.'

I'm trying not to freak out. I just dumped 1200$ on applications. If they somehow lost my transcripts, and won't allow me to resend/FIND THEM ASAP, I will die.

Breathe. Breathe.

I also applied to 11 schools and am now broke as ****. I feel ya. Call them tomorrow and sort it out. If they sent you an email saying they received it, it should be fine. :)

I went to check on my status, and it says 'awaiting materials.' What materials could I possibly be waiting for? Transcripts were sent in the beginning of August, and all 3 letters were in.

I hover over the button, and ta-da: They are claiming they do not have one of my schools transcripts. But I have a notification from them in all caps stating, 'VMCAS RECEIVED YOUR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS FROM X INSTITUTION.'

I'm trying not to freak out. I just dumped 1200$ on applications. If they somehow lost my transcripts, and won't allow me to resend/FIND THEM ASAP, I will die.

Breathe. Breathe.

What day did you submit? Mine definitely said awaiting materials even though everything was in in June for I think a few days after I hit submit, I think it takes a bit of time to update.

Breathe. Breathe.

Take a screenshot of that notification, and save the emails if there are any confirming receipt of transcripts.

This is on them, there's no way in hell they can hold you liable for this mistake. Call them in the morning, stay cool, be respectful, and demand they fix the situation.

It was some really weird notification, where they said, 'we received your transcript from X. You indicated in your application that you went to X. However, you did not indicate that you went to X.'

??

It then said I had to re-enter all of the courses into the entry for that school, but I just re-read it six times and it says nothing about re-sending the transcripts, and I emailed them about it back when I received the notification in August. I'm just hoping it's some software issue. I did what the notification requested within the time limit, so I'm not sure why they're trying to tell me that the transcripts are now undelivered.

*hyperventilates*

I submitted the 15th. I have two transcripts, so one is verified, and the other isn't??

Taking screenshots. Thanks guys!

Breathe. Breathe.

If you have the email saying they received it, I would call them and say, "Where are my transcripts?!" And hold them to it. You fulfilled your end of the bargain; they need to fulfill theirs.

Reactions: 1 users
It was some really weird notification, where they said, 'we received your transcript from X. You indicated in your application that you went to X. However, you did not indicate that you went to X.'

??

It then said I had to re-enter all of the courses into the entry for that school, but I just re-read it six times and it says nothing about re-sending the transcripts, and I emailed them about it back when I received the notification in August. I'm just hoping it's some software issue. I did what the notification requested within the time limit, so I'm not sure why they're trying to tell me that the transcripts are now undelivered.

*hyperventilates*
Oh hmm I never got anything like that. My status page just took a few days to update, like it said "awaiting materials" even though everything was listed as received, which solved itself in a few days like I said. I have no idea what's going on with yours I would definitely call them, since like other people said, you have the old emails as proof.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just *breathe*... Call, explain, describe proof of receipt, and see what they say. Be friendly. Kill 'em with kindness and they'll be more willing to go out of their way to assist. Their software and process suck and it will take a few days to update. Focus on something else in the meantime.

When the evidence weighs in your favor, you have little to worry about. Let something a lot more serious stress you into early grey hair. Not this. ;)

I called the schools I applied to and explained my situation (similar to yours but I first ordered transcripts back in July and the processor didn't send them so I reordered and they were mailed 9/8). The schools were cool and said if my app doesn't get verified due to the transcripts with VMCAS, they don't care. I can send the transcripts directly to them and they will deal with it. The lady from Wisconsin actually said, "Don't worry. You are done, go party!"
OMG!!! OMG!!! I FINALLY got an email yesterday from VMCAS. Crisis averted. I think CSU would have been more lenient. When I was processing my payment to them (obviously on the day it was due), it kept kicking it out of the system. The Director of Admissions actually CALLED me at 10:30PM CST because she could see I was having issues. I was completely surprised and she sat on the phone with me until the payment went through. However, given how our LOVELY Jared at LSU SVM is, he would have gladly not returned my phone call and emailed "Too bad, apply again next year, deadlines are deadlines." I just need to get in. I'm tired of applying.

OMG!!! OMG!!! I FINALLY got an email yesterday from VMCAS. Crisis averted. I think CSU would have been more lenient. When I was processing my payment to them (obviously on the day it was due), it kept kicking it out of the system. The Director of Admissions actually CALLED me at 10:30PM CST because she could see I was having issues. I was completely surprised and she sat on the phone with me until the payment went through. However, given how our LOVELY Jared at LSU SVM is, he would have gladly not returned my phone call and emailed "Too bad, apply again next year, deadlines are deadlines." I just need to get in. I'm tired of applying.

I love Dr. Hardy from CSU (if that's who called you). She's always been super polite and gave straight answers at my file reviews for CSU. Definitely a solid team there. I also really like Hannah, who has been answering all my questions.

I am on the fence of LSU's team. On the one hand, I like the fact that we received no less than 10 e-mails over the course of the process explaining the confusion. But I also thought it was almost stupid that they didn't fix the root of the problem (the incorrect information on their website, which is still incorrect). I wondered more than once if I would get in based exclusively because people would have screwed up the application or drop them from their short list for being too difficult.

does anyone know where our GPA calculations show up after VMCAS is verified? The email I got said 'please allow upt to an hour from the time you receive this email for your GPA data to appear in your application'. Does that mean that just the schools will see it or that its available somewhere? I'm curious to see if my calculations were accurate

@wigglebutt you click manage my programs, then program status, and then you will see a download button on the right hand corner of each school. When you click on this button, you will have access to your printable application. Scroll down until you see the section where they calculated your GPA

Update to the terrible Microbiology class: Exam 1 class average was 71%. I got a 78%, my first C at this university.

Test was unrelated to just about everything he lectured about in class, and unnecessarily difficult.

Now I'm legitimately scared about losing my 4.o to a lower-level class during my final semester at college :nailbiting:.

Sorry I freaked out guys, haha. I was just afraid they were going to try and tell me it was my fault!

Called today, and after 10 minutes of the guy typing in silence, he says, "Yeah, we have them. You're good."

....:confused:

Reactions: 3 users
I love Dr. Hardy from CSU (if that's who called you). She's always been super polite and gave straight answers at my file reviews for CSU. Definitely a solid team there. I also really like Hannah, who has been answering all my questions.

I am on the fence of LSU's team. On the one hand, I like the fact that we received no less than 10 e-mails over the course of the process explaining the confusion. But I also thought it was almost stupid that they didn't fix the root of the problem (the incorrect information on their website, which is still incorrect). I wondered more than once if I would get in based exclusively because people would have screwed up the application or drop them from their short list for being too difficult.

Yea... I don't want to be an dingus because we have all been working extremely hard on this application. But I agree, they should have updated their website and need to contact AVMA about updating their information as well on the VMCAS end. Was anyone else surprised about the moved-up deadline? I'm still trying to figure out why, after all these years, they decided to change it and not say anything.

Was anyone else surprised about the moved-up deadline? I'm still trying to figure out why, after all these years, they decided to change it and not say anything.

Yeah, the moved up deadline was rather well-stated quite some time ago by VMCAS. They have definitely royally sucked this year, but that was one of the things they actually made known.

Yeah, the moved up deadline was rather well-stated quite some time ago by VMCAS. They have definitely royally sucked this year, but that was one of the things they actually made known.

My coworker and I had no clue. We were both sort of surprised and rushed (dumb, I know). I even checked my email and only had some survey emails. Did they send out anything? I only got back on SDN within the past few weeks.

My coworker and I had no clue. We were both sort of surprised and rushed (dumb, I know). I even checked my email and only had some survey emails. Did they send out anything? I only got back on SDN within the past few weeks.

I don't know if they "sent out" anything. I mean, if you logged into the website when the application opened and created an account, it should have been obvious when the deadline was. They shouldn't need to "send out" something if you are creating an account to apply. I didn't apply this year (already a vet student) and I knew the deadline had changed. Probably from SDN. But the application has the deadline on it (I would think, though with how bad VMCAS is this year, who knows) and I would think (only looked at a couple schools websites) all of the schools updated their websites (the ones I looked at did). :shrug:

I don't know if they "sent out" anything. I mean, if you logged into the website when the application opened and created an account, it should have been obvious when the deadline was. They shouldn't need to "send out" something if you are creating an account to apply. I didn't apply this year (already a vet student) and I knew the deadline had changed. Probably from SDN. But the application has the deadline on it (I would think, though with how bad VMCAS is this year, who knows) and I would think (only looked at a couple schools websites) all of the schools updated their websites (the ones I looked at did). :shrug:

It was made very clear on the VMCAS website and also every school I looked at made a clear reminder of the date change on their website.

This was my first year applying.. I hate to say it but I have had zero issues with the VMCAS application. With that being said, I also attended their webinar on the application process and read the application manual thing...

Yeah, don't mean to beat the dead horse :beat: BUT... it was pretty clear since the beginning when the deadline was. I knew when I was overseas on military orders that I needed to be back in time to input all the transcript stuff (I had 6), personal data, experience, etc etc etc before classes started because the Sept 15th deadline would come sooner than expected. So, as is often said... Attention to Detail is a must (I'm sure any vet school student will agree this is particularly important in the program). Just be glad you caught it when you did and didn't miss out on this cycle ;)

Yea, if I missed out this year, I pretty much would have finished my entire bottle of Bulleit bourbon small batch the other night :bang:

I literally did the last thing today, which was drop my LSU SVM supplemental app fee in the mail. So I'm good to sit around now :yeahright:

This was my first year applying.. I hate to say it but I have had zero issues with the VMCAS application. With that being said, I also attended their webinar on the application process and read the application manual thing...

I went to the AAVMC conference and listened to Tony Wynne talk about the application process in detail in person. That sure didn't save me from all of the headaches their broken site caused. Yeah, the deadline was clearly stated in multiple places, but let's not pretend that the only issue here has been people not reading the instructions closely enough. Their revamped website is simply bad.

I went to the AAVMC conference and listened to Tony Wynne talk about the application process in detail in person. That sure didn't save me from all of the headaches their broken site caused. Yeah, the deadline was clearly stated in multiple places, but let's not pretend that the only issue here has been people not reading the instructions closely enough. Their revamped website is simply bad.

Agreed. All of my issues were from the system randomly being down, and VMCAS basically saying, "Sorry bout it, not our problem."

Agreed. The fact that you would be filling out parts of your experience and it would randomly crash. Or sign you out. My absolute favorite? Hitting the "Submit/pay" button, having it time out, kick an error message out saying to re-enter your information, do that, click "Submit," wait, get ANOTHER error. Mildly freak out. Then receive two emails back to back, check again and you've been double charged. It always says to only hit the payment button once, but nothing about when the system tells you to resubmit your payment information.

Or how about being on hold as "Second in line" while on hold. For 30+ minutes. Joy :yeahright:

My comment was misconstrued. I was simply stating my experience with the application process and what I did to prepare. I was not discounting or commenting on the technical issues you had or others.

At the rate that VMCAS is going for verification, many schools won't be receiving the tail end of applications until the end of this month.

So much for thinking that having a due date one month earlier than last year would speed up the interview/admissions process....:penguin:

Have you talked to VMCAS about it? You're definitely not the only one who has had evaluators who couldn't submit this year
I called them on Wednesday, before I had gotten in touch with my evaluator, and the woman I talked to wasn't very helpful. I mentioned that I'd heard a couple other people had evaluators who thought they had submitted, but it didn't actually go through, and she just kind of said "well, the deadline has passed, so he can't try submitting again, it's up to the schools whether or not they'll accept the letter." Maybe it's worth a shot calling again now that I know it was an issue on their end, but I don't know if there's anything they can do at this point, unless it somehow actually went through on their end (their system was down when I called, so she couldn't check). Knowing them, they'll probably say "well, that's why we say not to wait until the last minute to submit." Yeah, that's good advice, but there's no way everyone, especially evaluators, is going to follow that. There's no reason he should have had to spend 45 minutes trying to submit, even on the night of the deadline. If any of the schools aren't willing to accept the late letter, then I'll definitely give VMCAS a piece of my mind. I still haven't had a chance to call schools, I ended up not having time on Friday due to work. :/

I called them on Wednesday, before I had gotten in touch with my evaluator, and the woman I talked to wasn't very helpful. I mentioned that I'd heard a couple other people had evaluators who thought they had submitted, but it didn't actually go through, and she just kind of said "well, the deadline has passed, so he can't try submitting again, it's up to the schools whether or not they'll accept the letter." Maybe it's worth a shot calling again now that I know it was an issue on their end, but I don't know if there's anything they can do at this point, unless it somehow actually went through on their end (their system was down when I called, so she couldn't check). Knowing them, they'll probably say "well, that's why we say not to wait until the last minute to submit." Yeah, that's good advice, but there's no way everyone, especially evaluators, is going to follow that. There's no reason he should have had to spend 45 minutes trying to submit, even on the night of the deadline. If any of the schools aren't willing to accept the late letter, then I'll definitely give VMCAS a piece of my mind. I still haven't had a chance to call schools, I ended up not having time on Friday due to work. :/

I told my evaluators that the deadline was September 1st, just in case of something like this happening. One evaluator submitted on the first, and I knew that she would have been the one to try submitting the night of the 15th. Just something to think about for next time. I hope you get your letter in though! It's definitely their fault that their system was down, neither your fault nor the evaluator's. I would definitely call again. Maybe you will get someone more helpful. And yeah, I would call the schools and explain the situation. I hope it works out in your favor!!

At the rate that VMCAS is going for verification, many schools won't be receiving the tail end of applications until the end of this month.

So much for thinking that having a due date one month earlier than last year would speed up the interview/admissions process....:penguin:
To be fair, in previous years they were still verifying into the end of October. So this is earlier. Also, the schools receive the applications before they are verified (once you submit), so they can look at them now if they wish.

I told my evaluators that the deadline was September 1st, just in case of something like this happening. One evaluator submitted on the first, and I knew that she would have been the one to try submitting the night of the 15th. Just something to think about for next time. I hope you get your letter in though! It's definitely their fault that their system was down, neither your fault nor the evaluator's. I would definitely call again. Maybe you will get someone more helpful. And yeah, I would call the schools and explain the situation. I hope it works out in your favor!!
I told them all it was the first too!

To be fair, in previous years they were still verifying into the end of October. So this is earlier. Also, the schools receive the applications before they are verified (once you submit), so they can look at them now if they wish.
Touché. I guess I remembered them verifying faster last cycle. (Mine had taken 3 days- but I never knew how long everyone else's took). Thanks for the info :)

I'm willing to bet the evaluators can see the actual due date somewhere on their portal...in which case, providing conflicting due dates might just cause confusion.

Given all of the technical glitches they've had in the last week alone, plus the PTE being a bust, I think they're verifying rather quickly haha.
It was made very clear on the VMCAS website and also every school I looked at made a clear reminder of the date change on their website.

They were very clear with the deadline. I think they actually began announcing it late last year. However, just because you sat through a webinar doesn't mean you were better prepared than anyone else. I agree that actually reading the instructions answers the vast majority of questions that people have. Still, no one could have predicted this year's **** show.

I'm sure we could have placed some bets, though ;)

Agreed. The fact that you would be filling out parts of your experience and it would randomly crash. Or sign you out. My absolute favorite? Hitting the "Submit/pay" button, having it time out, kick an error message out saying to re-enter your information, do that, click "Submit," wait, get ANOTHER error. Mildly freak out. Then receive two emails back to back, check again and you've been double charged. It always says to only hit the payment button once, but nothing about when the system tells you to resubmit your payment information.

Or how about being on hold as "Second in line" while on hold. For 30+ minutes. Joy :yeahright:
Apparently someone got triple charged without having any errors pop up or accidentally hitting submit more than once. I just want to know how much is actually costs them to maintain the service, and how much of the application fees go elsewhere. Can they not afford a better programmer/IT team/whoever does computery stuff?

This year on the eLOR request form there was a place to put the due date for the evaluator. It was automatically set to the 15th, but you could change it. I made mine the 1st as well when I sent out requests, and as far as I know that was the only date they could see. Obviously, they could look it up themselves on the VCMAS main page, but my boss said all he could see was the 1st due date when he logged in.

I really liked that feature of this years update (I think someone earlier said it was new?). One of my evaluators I was so sure would wait till the last minute ended up turning it in almost two months before the actual deadline, but from past experience she definitely waits till the last minute. So being able to have it show her it was due the first was nice, because then even if she waited till the first to submit and had issues, I wouldn't be SOL like if it was the actual deadline.

Hopefully they keep that feature for next year.

This year on the eLOR request form there was a place to put the due date for the evaluator. It was automatically set to the 15th, but you could change it. I made mine the 1st as well when I sent out requests, and as far as I know that was the only date they could see. Obviously, they could look it up themselves on the VCMAS main page, but my boss said all he could see was the 1st due date when he logged in.

I really liked that feature of this years update (I think someone earlier said it was new?). One of my evaluators I was so sure would wait till the last minute ended up turning it in almost two months before the actual deadline, but from past experience she definitely waits till the last minute. So being able to have it show her it was due the first was nice, because then even if she waited till the first to submit and had issues, I wouldn't be SOL like if it was the actual deadline.

Yes, I totally agree. Setting our own earlier due date was very nice. One of my evaluators submitted the night of the 1st, and I knew that she would procrastinate. I also hope that they keep this feature.

I did have an old vet/professor argue with me about the due date. (Friendly correction on his side.) I had asked for the 1st and he kept telling me how sure he was that I was saying the wrong month. He's been doing this for a long time after all. I explained that it had been moved up and all, but he had to look for himself before he stopped "correcting" me.

Innnteresting. I think that speaks volumes for the number of evaluators that forget/blow it off. Either way, if you are that unsure about someone making it in by the 15th, telling them the true due date after they potentially miss the 1st still only maybe gets you a letter, if that makes sense. The extra two weeks to hound them might help, but if they can't/don't want to do it, then you are still down a letter. If your writer procrastinates that badly, giving them another whole two weeks to do it isn't making much of a difference, assuming they don't turn it in on the 1st like you wanted.

Touché. I guess I remembered them verifying faster last cycle. (Mine had taken 3 days- but I never knew how long everyone else's took). Thanks for the info :)
I submitted on the due date and mine took 3 weeks. I had expected it to take longer (thought I might get verified on Halloween) so I was pleasantly surprised haha

I'm willing to bet the evaluators can see the actual due date somewhere on their portal...in which case, providing conflicting due dates might just cause confusion.

Given all of the technical glitches they've had in the last week alone, plus the PTE being a bust, I think they're verifying rather quickly haha.

They were very clear with the deadline. I think they actually began announcing it late last year. However, just because you sat through a webinar doesn't mean you were better prepared than anyone else. I agree that actually reading the instructions answers the vast majority of questions that people have. Still, no one could have predicted this year's **** show.

I'm sure we could have placed some bets, though ;)

They only see the date you've chosen. My evaluators were clueless that the applications were due September 15th. They thought everything was due August 1 when I had set their due date :)