Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This year on the eLOR request form there was a place to put the due date for the evaluator. It was automatically set to the 15th, but you could change it. I made mine the 1st as well when I sent out requests, and as far as I know that was the only date they could see. Obviously, they could look it up themselves on the VCMAS main page, but my boss said all he could see was the 1st due date when he logged in.

I really liked that feature of this years update (I think someone earlier said it was new?). One of my evaluators I was so sure would wait till the last minute ended up turning it in almost two months before the actual deadline, but from past experience she definitely waits till the last minute. So being able to have it show her it was due the first was nice, because then even if she waited till the first to submit and had issues, I wouldn't be SOL like if it was the actual deadline.

Hopefully they keep that feature for next year.
Woah. An actually useful new feature?? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I totally agree. Setting our own earlier due date was very nice. One of my evaluators submitted the night of the 1st, and I knew that she would procrastinate. I also hope that they keep this feature.
I thought that it always had this feature? My first application was in 2008, so I might remember wrong...

I thought that it always had this feature? My first application was in 2008, so I might remember wrong...
It definitely wasn't there for the last two years, at least. It could have been an old feature that they brought back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Innnteresting. I think that speaks volumes for the number of evaluators that forget/blow it off. Either way, if you are that unsure about someone making it in by the 15th, telling them the true due date after they potentially miss the 1st still only maybe gets you a letter, if that makes sense. The extra two weeks to hound them might help, but if they can't/don't want to do it, then you are still down a letter. If you're writer procrastinates that badly, giving them another whole two weeks to do it isn't making much of a difference, assuming they don't turn it in on the 1st like you wanted.

I knew she would do it by whatever the deadline was, just possibly wait till the last minute. So setting it for 1st meant that even if she waited till the 1st to turn it in and had issues, there would be time to correct said issues.

If you have an evaluator you're not sure will even get the letter done on time or at all, sure setting the deadline early probably won't do much. But if you're sure your evaluator will and just might procrastinate till the last minute, it just gives some leeway in case there are issues submitting.

It definitely wasn't there for the last two years, at least. It could have been an old feature that they brought back.
I've also had to do the PPIs so maybe that's why I thought it was there the last few years.

Woah. An actually useful new feature?? :eek:

Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be gone next year. VCMAS can't let us start to think they're actually trying to make a useful application system ;)

Reactions: 1 users
However, just because you sat through a webinar doesn't mean you were better prepared than anyone else. I agree that actually reading the instructions answers the vast majority of questions that people have. Still, no one could have predicted this year's **** show.

I'm sure we could have placed some bets, though ;)

So combative! Again completely misconstrued. I never implied I was more prepared than others. I was stating what I did to prepare and that I didn't have any issues with the application process which I do attribute to my preparation. But again I'm not referring to technology problems. I knew sharing that I had a positive experience would ruffle some feathers but it is important to know that not everyone had issues. With that being said... now I'm going to knock on some wood because my application hasn't been verified and the more I have to repeat this... I feel like its bad karma lol :shrug:

So combative! Again completely misconstrued. I never implied I was more prepared than others. I was stating what I did to prepare and that I didn't have any issues with the application process which I do attribute to my preparation. But again I'm not referring to technology problems. I knew sharing that I had a positive experience would ruffle some feathers but it is important to know that not everyone had issues. With that being said... now I'm going to knock on some wood because my application hasn't been verified and the more I have to repeat this... I feel like its bad karma lol :shrug:
:rolleyes:Nothing I said was the least bit combative. Like, at all. No one is upset that you had a good application experience. That's great. Saying "I hate to say it but I have had zero issues with the VMCAS application. With that being said, I also attended their webinar on the application process and read the application manual thing..." directly implies that you attribute your lack of issues to sitting in on a webinar and reading instructions. It's simple sentence structure and phrasing. Not to mention that the issues being discussed on here have nothing to do with a webinar/instruction manual (other than the deadline). It's really not that big of a deal. Just don't expect to say something that poorly phrased to a group of people who are struggling with VMCAS (with issues that are out of their hands) and not get a few people who are going to comment on what you said, regardless of how you actually meant it to come across. It happens to everyone.

Now that everything has calmed down, I'm really regretting not taking a class this semester. I'm going to have a decent amount of spare time, so it would have been perfect for taking immune. :/ . Poor planning on my part there.

Now that everything has calmed down, I'm really regretting not taking a class this semester. I'm going to have a decent amount of spare time, so it would have been perfect for taking immune. :/ . Poor planning on my part there.

Want to take Biochem for me? :p

Reactions: 1 users
If given the option always take immuno! Then again, I may be just a taaaaad biased

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gosh I hate biochem. I'm in it now.

I actually like it (I mean, I wish I wasn't taking it but I find it interesting), I just don't have the free time/motivation to do it right now.

I'm working full time and taking it as on online class, so when I get home from work I need to watch lectures, but all I want to do is sleep haha I'm a third of the way through the semester though and keeping up just fine, so it's thankfully going okay. Note to self, don't start an online class after being out of school for a few months at the same time you start a new work schedule! Haha

Yeah I like the subject of biochemistry, but I do not like my professor or the structure of the class. Lol. I should have been more clear.
I also work full time and have a full course load. Good luck to you!

Instructor totally makes the class!

Oh god, I'm hating just the one class working full time, I can't even imagine working full time and taking a full load. You're my hero.

Good luck to you as well!

I just got verified (submitted on August 30th but didn't get PTE finalized until September 16th or 17th). Didn't expect that to happen so soon, so I'm curious, how long has it taken other people who did PTE to get verified?

Want to take Biochem for me? :p

Biochem wasn't my thing. Biochem II, I rocked it. So if you take Biochem II, let me know. lol.

If given the option always take immuno! Then again, I may be just a taaaaad biased

My school only has one rotation for it a year, so I missed out on it this year. :( But if I'm still in this job next year, I'll totes take it next fall.

I've been thinking of what class I would want to take next semester, and it's down the stained glass II or patho micro. Haven't decided yet.

Verified today - submitted Sept 2! Good luck everyone! :)

AHHH SCRATCH THAT IM SO MAD!

VMCAS didn't verify my biochem grade even though they GOT the transcript!!! what the hell?!

Okay sorry for the spam here but I talked to VMCAS and they fixed it.

However the woman was oringinally telling me it was my fault somehow and she couldn't do anything about it and I got mad. They can't leave a note on your application if they thought you were rude or had an attitude or anything, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted 9/4 verified today! Finally!:laugh:

Okay sorry for the spam here but I talked to VMCAS and they fixed it.

However the woman was oringinally telling me it was my fault somehow and she couldn't do anything about it and I got mad. They can't leave a note on your application if they thought you were rude or had an attitude or anything, right?

I don't believe so. They're simply a processing center. I don't think they can tell the schools that heyimhayley is a meany face. lol.

Is anyone else not verified yet but receiving e-mails from schools saying they got your VMCAS application?

Is anyone else not verified yet but receiving e-mails from schools saying they got your VMCAS application?
The schools receive your application when you submit it (they don't have to wait until after verification) so this is not abnormal.

Just to throw it in there, submitted Sept 3rd and verified today. Must have been a few days of light applications received.

I submitted my app around 9pm on September 4, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll come home from work tomorrow to find it verified!

Does anyone know if VMCAS verifies applications as a whole for each applicant, or individually by when each application was submitted? I submitted some applications on Sept. 5th, and some others more near the Sept. 15th deadline. So would they verify each application individually, or by the applicant as a whole since transcripts and LORs are the same for all the school's applications? I haven't been verified yet for any of my applications, so I'm just getting a bit antsy... :dead:

Does anyone know if VMCAS verifies applications as a whole for each applicant, or individually by when each application was submitted? I submitted some applications on Sept. 5th, and some others more near the Sept. 15th deadline. So would they verify each application individually, or by the applicant as a whole since transcripts and LORs are the same for all the school's applications? I haven't been verified yet for any of my applications, so I'm just getting a bit antsy... :dead:

Verification is specifically about checking your transcripts to make sure they match up with what you've entered in the coursework section. That only happens once regardless of how many school programs you added (I don't believe verification extends to the program specific materials like identifying pre-reqs, which was new to the app this year). So whatever date you originally submitted your application, that's the date you should have been put in the queue for verification, assuming you didn't do PTE which could delay the process. For some people it will take the full four weeks.

You're put in line for verification once your application is complete - paid and submitted, all transcripts received, and 3 eLORs received. So if you paid and submitted with some programs and the other two requirements were met, you should have been put in line then. They're verifying your coursework, so it doesn't matter if you add on other schools you're applying to later, that doesn't change your transcripts or coursework.

You're put in line for verification once your application is complete - paid and submitted, all transcripts received, and 3 eLORs received. So if you paid and submitted with some programs and the other two requirements were met, you should have been put in line then. They're verifying your coursework, so it doesn't matter if you add on other schools you're applying to later, that doesn't change your transcripts or coursework.

Verification is specifically about checking your transcripts to make sure they match up with what you've entered in the coursework section. That only happens once regardless of how many school programs you added (I don't believe verification extends to the program specific materials like identifying pre-reqs, which was new to the app this year). So whatever date you originally submitted your application, that's the date you should have been put in the queue for verification, assuming you didn't do PTE which could delay the process. For some people it will take the full four weeks.

Makes sense. Thanks a lot! :) I just received my verification email!

I was going through the pdf of my application after it was verified to look at my calculated GPAs and stuff and happened to glance at my GRE scores, only to find the quantitative and verbal scores switched on the "Unofficial Test Results" section! I know I entered them correctly because there's no way I would have entered my Q score as the higher score. Is this a big deal and do I need to (try to) contact VMCAS, or will my school just accept it as a mistake since they have my official GRE results?

I was going through the pdf of my application after it was verified to look at my calculated GPAs and stuff and happened to glance at my GRE scores, only to find the quantitative and verbal scores switched on the "Unofficial Test Results" section! I know I entered them correctly because there's no way I would have entered my Q score as the higher score. Is this a big deal and do I need to (try to) contact VMCAS, or will my school just accept it as a mistake since they have my official GRE results?
I wouldn't think that it would be a big deal since schools want GRE scores sent to them directly, so they should have an official report of what your scores are to go by

Is this a big deal and do I need to (try to) contact VMCAS, or will my school just accept it as a mistake since they have my official GRE results?

I wouldn't think that it would be a big deal since schools want GRE scores sent to them directly, so they should have an official report of what your scores are to go by

^My thoughts as well, but it might be worth giving VMCAS a call to see what they have to say about it.

^My thoughts as well, but it might be worth giving VMCAS a call to see what they have to say about it.

"It's not our fault and there's nothing we can do about it."

Reactions: 6 users
That moment when your fire alarm pre-trouble alarm goes off at two in the morning, you check what room set it off, you grab your RA, go to the room, and the kid tells you it was a hot pocket. Kid, you think I'm dumb? I can smell your raspberry flavored vape smoke outside your closed door. :mad:

Hi all, just wondering if there are any unfortunate souls out there who also made the mistake of paying for the Professional Transcript Entry. If so, and if your coursework was already entered, about how long did it take them to finish getting your transcript info loaded? Submitted on Sept 10th and my VMCAS profile still says that my transcripts are being processed by the professional entry team.

Hopefully in the future they'll change their policy get to work on the PTE as soon as one's transcripts arrive at VMCAS (mine arrived way back in early July), especially since the service is already paid for. I'll also probably make it a point to warn any and all individuals in next year's applicant pool to stay the hell away from PTE. What a waste of time and money it's been...

I almost did PTE, then decided against it. That sucks that they don't begin as soon as they get your transcripts. I'm sorry you are having to wait so long. Good luck!