CSUDH Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Based on what you've said and being an accepted student myself, I believe your theory's correct. So far, there are 19 people in our facebook group, so they are sending maybe 20 at a time. I think the reason why no one has heard anything yet is because accepted students have had until October 28th (2 weeks after acceptance date) to send in their response/deposit. So most likely, they probably haven't sent anything out since the 14th. The next wave of acceptances should happen soon if this is true. There's still many spots open, so hang in there!
Thank you for your insight. As I am sure you know, the waiting drives you crazy!

Congrats on your acceptance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you to everyone who responded! This is all very helpful! My biggest concern is that I didn't submit proof of all of the hours I did because from my understanding they only wanted proof of the 80. So maybe this was my mistake. But I'm trying not to lose hope because there are still plenty of spots left and we still have some time! At least the wait will be over soon. I will probably check back after all decisions have been made. Good luck to everyone :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance email today!!! Yay good luck to everyone still waiting and can't wait to meet you all :)

I got my acceptance email today!!! Yay good luck to everyone still waiting and can't wait to meet you all :)
Oh man lucky you! Congratulations! And they called you too to ask about transcripts right? They called me this week! Hopefully it's a sign I'm a contender :(
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Last edited:
Hello new here! I received my acceptance email yesterday around 5pm as well. I only applied to one school and was having the toughest two months waiting for a reply. I only made it worst when I kept checking this forum, comparing my stats to everyone else's. However, that's not to say this thread isn't helpful! It was very handy to have when I was putting together all my scores and experiences into the packet. I guess what I want to relay to everyone planning to apply for Cohort 14 is that if you can, refer to this forum as a starting point to your process. From what you gather in this thread, set a target score for yourself, plan to retake classes, set out to find great volunteer places. Once your packet is submitted, remember: no need to compare, you have every bit of chance of getting accepted as everyone else :)))

Last tip: quality over quantity for OT shadowing!!!!! I can't stress this enough. If you're having a hard time raising your numbers, the LOR is the best place to wow the admissions committee :)

Hello new here! I received my acceptance email yesterday around 5pm as well. I only applied to one school and was having the toughest two months waiting for a reply. I only made it worst when I kept checking this forum, comparing my stats to everyone else's. However, that's not to say this thread isn't helpful! It was very handy to have when I was putting together all my scores and experiences into the packet. I guess what I want to relay to everyone planning to apply for Cohort 14 is that if you can, refer to this forum as a starting point to your process. From what you gather in this thread, set a target score for yourself, plan to retake classes, set out to find great volunteer places. Once your packet is submitted, remember: no need to compare, you have every bit of chance of getting accepted as everyone else :)))

Last tip: quality over quantity for OT shadowing!!!!! I can't stress this enough. If you're having a hard time raising your numbers, the LOR is the best place to wow the admissions committee :)
Do you think this is the last round of acceptances? The thought that i wont get in this round is sarting to sink in.

Oh man lucky you! Congratulations! And they called you too to ask about transcripts right? They called me this week! Hopefully it's a sign I'm a contender :(
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Yes they did call me about my transcripts! I actually called them yesterday to find out the status of it and Patty said "just wait." It made me feel so anxious!!

Here are my stats:

Major: Biology/Education double major
Cumulative GPA: 3.16
Pre-reqs: I had all As except a B+ in physio lec/B- in physio lab (they were offered as separate classes at my school)
GRE: V: 151, Q: 155, AWA: 5
Shadowing: 215 pediatrics (in an OT-based karate program and in private sessions), 13 hours in hand therapy
Work experience: teacher aide in an infant toddler center (1 year), currently an ABA therapist (1 year)
Extracurriculars:
- 2 years leadership roles in a prehealth organization, 50 hours educational fieldwork in elementary schools, high school outreach facilitator for a low SES high school, mentorship programs, 4 years involvement in a cultural night, counselor in a social science/professional club
Certifications: RBT (registered behavior technician) and first-CPR
Letter of Rec: anatomy professor at a CC, employer (clinical director and president of the ABA company), OTR I volunteered with in peds

My numbers are pretty average. I think what made me stand out has to be my personal statement, I really tried to make it unique, flow well, and make sure they knew my story. I would say 2/3 of my letters were strong, just because I spent more time developing a relationship at the clinic and at work. I also turned my app in the day before the deadline, 9/14.

I honestly did not think I had a chance with my numbers and also since all my volunteer/work experience is with kids. BUT I hope this gives you all who are waiting hope!!!! There's still a chance!!

Do you think this is the last round of acceptances? The thought that i wont get in this round is sarting to sink in.
I think there will be one more round of acceptances, but I also think it will be to just fill the class to limit. For instance if they only need 5 more applicants they will only send 5 or so acceptance emails vs. 20 acceptance emails in a normal notification round. I think there is still hope, but the probability of getting accepted is alot smaller.
...this is just my opinion.

Yes they did call me about my transcripts! I actually called them yesterday to find out the status of it and Patty said "just wait." It made me feel so anxious!!

Here are my stats:

Major: Biology/Education double major
Cumulative GPA: 3.16
Pre-reqs: I had all As except a B+ in physio lec/B- in physio lab (they were offered as separate classes at my school)
GRE: V: 151, Q: 155, AWA: 5
Shadowing: 215 pediatrics (in an OT-based karate program and in private sessions), 13 hours in hand therapy
Work experience: teacher aide in an infant toddler center (1 year), currently an ABA therapist (1 year)
Extracurriculars:
- 2 years leadership roles in a prehealth organization, 50 hours educational fieldwork in elementary schools, high school outreach facilitator for a low SES high school, mentorship programs, 4 years involvement in a cultural night, counselor in a social science/professional club
Certifications: RBT (registered behavior technician) and first-CPR
Letter of Rec: anatomy professor at a CC, employer (clinical director and president of the ABA company), OTR I volunteered with in peds

My numbers are pretty average. I think what made me stand out has to be my personal statement, I really tried to make it unique, flow well, and make sure they knew my story. I would say 2/3 of my letters were strong, just because I spent more time developing a relationship at the clinic and at work. I also turned my app in the day before the deadline, 9/14.

I honestly did not think I had a chance with my numbers and also since all my volunteer/work experience is with kids. BUT I hope this gives you all who are waiting hope!!!! There's still a chance!!
you mentioned a personal statement, but they dont require one. Im curious if youre referring to the personal statement for the school or did you submit one to the OT dept.?

you mentioned a personal statement, but they dont require one. Im curious if youre referring to the personal statement for the school or did you submit one to the OT dept.?

Hi HenOT:

When I talked to Terry P. during orientation, she told me a personal statement is not needed. However, you can add one into your application packet "if you want." Patty told me the same thing. Personally, I did not write one b/c it is not required.

The wait is horrendous, but acceptances in the past tend to be sent out till thanksgiving. There is still time.

Hi HenOT:

When I talked to Terry P. during orientation, she told me a personal statement is not needed. However, you can add one into your application packet "if you want." Patty told me the same thing. Personally, I did not write one b/c it is not required.

The wait is horrendous, but acceptances in the past tend to be sent out till thanksgiving. There is still time.
thanks. i wish I would've known that. I was told that they wouldnt read the personal statement if its in the packet so theres no point. And if they want to read the personal statement they can just read the one submitted to the school.

thanks. i wish I would've known that. I was told that they wouldnt read the personal statement if its in the packet so theres no point. And if they want to read the personal statement they can just read the one submitted to the school.

Anything that makes you stand out (LOR, hours,etc.) helps. I have seen applicants with great GPAs get rejected. I would keep an eye on GRE writing scores though. They seem to prefer applicants who score 4.5+. Also, for future applicants, the counselor for the OT department strongly recommends applicants to have letters from an OT, employer, and professor. I was going to send in letter of recs from two OTs and she strongly advised against that (unless you've been out of school for a while, they won't care as much if you don't have one from a professor).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything that makes you stand out (LOR, hours,etc.) helps. I have seen applicants with great GPAs get rejected. I would keep an eye on GRE writing scores though. They seem to prefer applicants who score 4.5+. Also, for future applicants, the counselor for the OT department strongly recommends applicants to have letters from an OT, employer, and professor. I was going to send in letter of recs from two OTs and she strongly advised against that (unless you've been out of school for a while, they won't care as much if you don't have one from a professor).
thanks. based on the stats ive seen on here, i would say i hae average scores. i got a 4 on the gre writing, and only 85 hours of volunteer. Im a lil bummed cuz i was hopeful in the beginning.

I was talking about the OTCAS one!! However I did a personal statement for the school as well because someone (I believe Patty) told me that they recommend it even if it is not required cause they can look at it.

I was talking about the OTCAS one!! However I did a personal statement for the school as well because someone (I believe Patty) told me that they recommend it even if it is not required cause they can look at it.
Oh, so you didn't submit a packet?

oh, so you didnt submit a packet?

oh, so you didnt submit a packet?
The packet is required no matter what.. However, you can submit an app on OTCAS along with the packet. OTCAS requires a personal statement and has its own prompt for you to follow. I think DH can view the personal statement if they choose to do so. I used OTCAS to apply as well because I already had my transcripts/LOR/personal statement on there! I feel like they must have had at least a glimpse at my PS since they had to go on OTCAS to view my transcripts/LOR. That might've been a factor on why I got accepted because I took time and a lot of effort to perfect my PS. If not, it could have been the LORs. They emphasized at the info session that LORs from people other than an OT are highly recommended since they can showcase your personality more. They said that OTs usually write the same thing so they don't really help distinguish you as a unique individual. For future applicants, I highly suggest you to take time to get to know your professors/employers before the time comes to apply so you can get those strong LORs :)

Last edited:
The packet is required no matter what.. However, you can submit an app on OTCAS along with the packet. OTCAS requires a personal statement and has its own prompt for you to follow. I think DH can view the personal statement if they choose to do so. I used OTCAS to apply as well because I already had my transcripts/LOR/personal statement on there! I feel like they must have had at least a glimpse at my PS since they had to go on OTCAS to view my transcripts/LOR. That might've been a factor on why I got accepted because I took time and a lot of effort to perfect my PS. If not, it could have been the LORs. They emphasized at the info session that LORs from people other than an OT are highly recommended since they can showcase your personality more. They said that OTs usually write the same thing so they don't really help distinguish you as a unique individual. For future applicants, I highly suggest you to take time to get to know your professors/employers before the time comes to apply so you can get those strong LORs :)
thanks a lot for the info, and again, congrats! Hopefully, next year I get in. I didnt realize it'd be so competitive until I applied.

Congrats to everyone who's made it so far!
I'm also a part of the new Spring 2017 cohort.

Spoke with the OT department head last year about how I could improve my chances of getting in after being rejected.
She said that the AWA score and verbal was pretty important, even though mine were okay if I retook the GRE, I should focus on getting that up.

Here are my stats:
Last year
Cum gpa: 3.24
Prereq gpa: 3.8
GRE
Quant: 158
Verbal:157
AWA: 4

This year
Prereq gpa: 4.0
GRE
Quant: 159
Verbal: 164
AWA: 4.5

160 Volunteer hours

Good luck!

Congrats to everyone who's made it so far!
I'm also a part of the new Spring 2017 cohort.

Spoke with the OT department head last year about how I could improve my chances of getting in after being rejected.
She said that the AWA score and verbal was pretty important, even though mine were okay if I retook the GRE, I should focus on getting that up.

Here are my stats:
Last year
Prereq gpa: 3.8
GRE
Quant: 158
Verbal:157
AWA: 4

This year
Prereq gpa: 4.0
GRE
Quant: 159
Verbal: 164
AWA: 4.5

160 Volunteer hours

Good luck!
Congrats! May I ask how you improved your scores or what study materials you used? Also, is that the only thing you worked on to reapply? No new lor or volunteer hours?
Congrats again!

Congrats! May I ask how you improved your scores or what study materials you used? Also, is that the only thing you worked on to reapply? No new lor or volunteer hours?
Congrats again!

I think definitely work on improving your LOR if you have the time to! This is where you can really stand out. My numbers are pretty average (3.55 GPA, 154 Q, 159 V, 4 AWA, just about 100 hours, submitted a last minute personal statement just because I thought I had to) but I believe that my letters had a big impact on my acceptance since I had a great relationship with the three that wrote me letters (OT, professor I had for a year long field class, employer). Since we can't say if they really read personal statements, the LOR as giving the admission committee a glimpse of your passion, strengths, and personality!

I checked my csudh today and found that I was denied admission :(
I hope others have better news today.

I checked my csudh today and found that I was denied admission :(
I hope others have better news today.
Oh no. Sorry to hear that :( did you check under application status? Mine says "your file is complete." Good luck next year if you decide to apply again!

Oh no. Sorry to hear that :( did you check under application status? Mine says "your file is complete." Good luck next year if you decide to apply again!
You are still in the running. My app status used to say your file is complete... now it says you have been denied admission to the university.

Thanks for the well wishes. Now its plan B mode. Hopefully, I won't have to apply next year, but time will tell.

Good Luck and I really hope you get in.

Congrats again!

Thank you! I mainly only used magoosh both times.
However, the first time I took it, I wasn't too serious and didn't go through a study plan like the program suggested and opted to just go over what I felt I needed to brush up on.
The second time, I actually followed a schedule (though I did get lazy near the end).
Watching the test taking/writing strategies they outline was also really really helpful.

I didn't do any extra volunteer hours, they stressed that volunteer hours was more of completed or not deal. You don't get better consideration for more hours.
I also didn't get any new LOR or anything. Just used the extras I had from previous application.

For the past and currently accepted cohorts: How do we purchase books now if we don't have an official schedule of classes yet? Don't different teachers use different books? Would like to get that way and not wait til last minute. Thanks for any responses!

Congrats to the accepted applicants and good luck for those still waiting !

Hi all! I just received my acceptance via email around lunch time today! Hope I'm not the only one who heard good news today! Good luck to those waiting! :)

Reactions: 1 user
For the past and currently accepted cohorts: How do we purchase books now if we don't have an official schedule of classes yet? Don't different teachers use different books? Would like to get that way and not wait til last minute. Thanks for any responses!

Congrats to the accepted applicants and good luck for those still waiting !
Each class only has one professor, the 3 sections just have different times. So if you want to get books early, you don't need to wait til you receive the official schedule.

Hi all! I just received my acceptance via email around lunch time today! Hope I'm not the only one who heard good news today! Good luck to those waiting! :)
Congrats. I am happy you got great news!

Hey, guys! I've been lurking around for the past few months and finally decided to make an account.
I applied for CSUDH's spring 2017 cohort and found out that I was denied last week. I'm pretty bummed out, but I feel like I have learned a lot from applying and reading what everyone on this forum had to say and I am confident that I will be able to improve my stats for next year. I did have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to regarding applying through OTCAS. If I apply through the app rather than directly to the program, am I still required to submit an application packet to the department? and if so, what will be included in it (LORs, transcripts, GRE scores, etc)?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on which method of applying is better (OTCAS vs. directly)?

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who got good news. I found out I've been waitlisted and I'm pretty bummed out about it. CSUDH was my first choice :( Does anyone know how the waitlist works? How do we find out where we're ranked on the waitlist? I highly doubt anyone who got accepted will drop out of the program so I don't want to get my hopes up. I just want to know what my chances are of getting a spot. Previous cohorts, please feel free to chime in. If any of you were on the waitlist and actually got a spot, I would love to hear about it. Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated! Good luck to those who are still waiting for news!

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who got good news. I found out I've been waitlisted and I'm pretty bummed out about it. CSUDH was my first choice :( Does anyone know how the waitlist works? How do we find out where we're ranked on the waitlist? I highly doubt anyone who got accepted will drop out of the program so I don't want to get my hopes up. I just want to know what my chances are of getting a spot. Previous cohorts, please feel free to chime in. If any of you were on the waitlist and actually got a spot, I would love to hear about it. Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated! Good luck to those who are still waiting for news!
Hi bh8, would you mind posting your stats? I was recently denied and I am trying to see where my application is lacking.

I wish I had some info on waitlisting, but I really don't have any knowledge about it.

Hey, guys! I've been lurking around for the past few months and finally decided to make an account.
I applied for CSUDH's spring 2017 cohort and found out that I was denied last week. I'm pretty bummed out, but I feel like I have learned a lot from applying and reading what everyone on this forum had to say and I am confident that I will be able to improve my stats for next year. I did have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to regarding applying through OTCAS. If I apply through the app rather than directly to the program, am I still required to submit an application packet to the department? and if so, what will be included in it (LORs, transcripts, GRE scores, etc)?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on which method of applying is better (OTCAS vs. directly)?

I am fairly certain you will need to submit a separate application package to CSUDH OT dept., just like you did this year regardless of how you applied to the university.
Applying through OTCAS, in my opinion, would be best. You would just have to apply early to CSUDH and make sure all your info got to CSUDH on time. I think some people have complained that OTCAS wasn't sending all the info to colleges - so you would want to keep an eye on that if you use it.

Would you mind posting your stats when you applied to CSUDH? Trying to get a sense of where I need to improve for next year - got denied, too this year.
Thanks.

Some people accept admission for CSUDH because they haven't heard from other schools yet and don't want to lose their spot and then when they get accepted into their first-choice school, they give up their spot. Last year 3 people didn't show up on the first week of classes, so they added 3 people from the waitlist and they started the next week. Try not to lose all hope, it's still possible!

Hey @Smartpig25 , I just turned in my deposit to the school today. Do you know how long it takes for them to email me with the class registration information?

Hi bh8, would you mind posting your stats? I was recently denied and I am trying to see where my application is lacking.

I wish I had some info on waitlisting, but I really don't have any knowledge about it.

Sure. Here are my stats:

Major: Sociology
Cum GPA: 3.68
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: V: 150, Q: 142, AWA: 4
3 LOR: 1 from the OTR I shadowed, 1 from an English professor, 1 from my fieldwork supervisor
Experience: 1 year at We Rock the Spectrum Kids Gym
Observation: 117 hours in peds OT & 10 hours in TBI rehabilitation
Volunteer: 1 year educational fieldwork in a kindergarten inclusion program, 80 hours in an adult daycare, 10 hours in a social skills program

In all honesty, I didn't have high hopes for my application. My scores are mediocre. Reading this forum and seeing other stats gave me an idea of what to aim for and what to improve. It seems like the admissions committee care more about GRE scores than GPA. If you score in the 150's range or higher for verbal and a 4.5+ on the AWA, you are more likely to get accepted even if your GPA is low. That's just something I've noticed reading through this forum. It sucks for those who are horrible test takers, like myself :( the GRE is horrendous and not to mention expensive!! If anyone has study tips for this damn test, please help a girl out lol. I hope this somewhat helps you with your application. Hopefully we'll both get better news next year! Best of luck to everyone else who are still waiting!

Some people accept admission for CSUDH because they haven't heard from other schools yet and don't want to lose their spot and then when they get accepted into their first-choice school, they give up their spot. Last year 3 people didn't show up on the first week of classes, so they added 3 people from the waitlist and they started the next week. Try not to lose all hope, it's still possible!

Thanks for your reply! It helps to know there's still a chance. Do you mind sharing your thoughts about this program? How are the professors, the courses, student to teacher ratio, etc? CSUDH may be the cheapest OT program, but I'm curious to know how the quality of the curriculum and overall university is compared to others like SJSU, USC, St. Augustine, etc. Thanks in advance!

Sure. Here are my stats:

Major: Sociology
Cum GPA: 3.68
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: V: 150, Q: 142, AWA: 4
3 LOR: 1 from the OTR I shadowed, 1 from an English professor, 1 from my fieldwork supervisor
Experience: 1 year at We Rock the Spectrum Kids Gym
Observation: 117 hours in peds OT & 10 hours in TBI rehabilitation
Volunteer: 1 year educational fieldwork in a kindergarten inclusion program, 80 hours in an adult daycare, 10 hours in a social skills program

In all honesty, I didn't have high hopes for my application. My scores are mediocre. Reading this forum and seeing other stats gave me an idea of what to aim for and what to improve. It seems like the admissions committee care more about GRE scores than GPA. If you score in the 150's range or higher for verbal and a 4.5+ on the AWA, you are more likely to get accepted even if your GPA is low. That's just something I've noticed reading through this forum. It sucks for those who are horrible test takers, like myself :( the GRE is horrendous and not to mention expensive!! If anyone has study tips for this damn test, please help a girl out lol. I hope this somewhat helps you with your application. Hopefully we'll both get better news next year! Best of luck to everyone else who are still waiting!

Thanks for your post. I agree with you 100%. I will be using Greenlight Test Prep to help me increase my verbal and AW score. This site makes sense to me so far and its free. If you want to check it out, just type in Greenlight Test Prep on youtube and you will see their free tutorials on many topics.

Hope this helps, but hopefully you'll get in this year and won't need it!

Thanks for your post. I agree with you 100%. I will be using Greenlight Test Prep to help me increase my verbal and AW score. This site makes sense to me so far and its free. If you want to check it out, just type in Greenlight Test Prep on youtube and you will see their free tutorials on many topics.

Hope this helps, but hopefully you'll get in this year and won't need it!

Thanks for the advice! I'll def check it out. Is this the first time you applied to csudh? Has anyone applied to USC before?

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Those of you who plan on retaking the GRE, I highly recommend Magoosh, especially for the verbal part. I took the GRE twice and Magoosh helped me improve my verbal score. As for essays, use the ETS website and do one of their practice prompts everyday for each writing portion. Time yourself and afterwards, evaluate how you could make the essay stronger. I actually outlined the essays again and I researched topics that would help me make a better argument. Adding on to this, it helps to read articles/research a variety of topics that can cover a wide range of essay prompts (global warming, education, technology, etc.) I did this for a couple of weeks straight (maybe around 4-5 weeks??), and I got a 5 on the writing portion the 2nd time I took it (got a 4 the first time). I also did a practice test every other day while timing myself and used the days in between to correct mistakes. It's a lot of work but it was worth the improvement! Don't be discouraged - improvement is a slow process. I made a lot of mistakes and honestly, I didn't feel like I was improving THAT much while I was preparing for the test. I kept making the same mistakes but I viewed it as another opportunity to make sure that mistake doesn't happen again. In fact, it was ON test day that I felt I performed my strongest. That said, just be consistent with practice and if you make mistakes, learn from them! It will matter in the long run.

Good luck to you all!!!

Those of you who plan on retaking the GRE, I highly recommend Magoosh, especially for the verbal part. I took the GRE twice and Magoosh helped me improve my verbal score. As for essays, use the ETS website and do one of their practice prompts everyday for each writing portion. Time yourself and afterwards, evaluate how you could make the essay stronger. I actually outlined the essays again and I researched topics that would help me make a better argument. Adding on to this, it helps to read articles/research a variety of topics that can cover a wide range of essay prompts (global warming, education, technology, etc.) I did this for a couple of weeks straight (maybe around 4-5 weeks??), and I got a 5 on the writing portion the 2nd time I took it (got a 4 the first time). I also did a practice test every other day while timing myself and used the days in between to correct mistakes. It's a lot of work but it was worth the improvement! Don't be discouraged - improvement is a slow process. I made a lot of mistakes and honestly, I didn't feel like I was improving THAT much while I was preparing for the test. I kept making the same mistakes but I viewed it as another opportunity to make sure that mistake doesn't happen again. In fact, it was ON test day that I felt I performed my strongest. That said, just be consistent with practice and if you make mistakes, learn from them! It will matter in the long run.

Good luck to you all!!!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us how you did it. I will definitely give your way a try.
Good luck on your OT journey, too.

Thanks for the advice! I'll def check it out. Is this the first time you applied to csudh? Has anyone applied to USC before?

This was my first time applying to CSUDH. I haven't applied to USC because its out of my price range.

I am fairly certain you will need to submit a separate application package to CSUDH OT dept., just like you did this year regardless of how you applied to the university.
Applying through OTCAS, in my opinion, would be best. You would just have to apply early to CSUDH and make sure all your info got to CSUDH on time. I think some people have complained that OTCAS wasn't sending all the info to colleges - so you would want to keep an eye on that if you use it.

Would you mind posting your stats when you applied to CSUDH? Trying to get a sense of where I need to improve for next year - got denied, too this year.
Thanks.

okay, thanks for the info! I am planning on making an appointment with CSUDH's student services center as per the recommendation of the department when I emailed them some of my questions. Did you by any chance get two letters in the mail? I received one saying I was denied, and another saying something about my application not being complete. It was sent to my parents' house, so I haven't actually gotten a chance to look at it, but I was curious if they sent something like that to everyone who was denied or if I missed something in my application.

Anyways, here are my stats-

Undergrad GPA: 3.98 Psychology (Magna Cum Laude)
Pre-req GPA: 3.78 (one A- and one B in Anatomy) - Definitely going to retake Anatomy for next year.
GRE: V- 159, Q- 147, AWA- 4 (Also planning on retaking!)
I had 2 phenomenal LOR's and one generic one that I had to get last minute, all three were from professors which might not have been the best approach, next year I am planning on having an OT and my employer complete ones for me.
I didn't have any volunteer hours because attending the info session made it seem like you didn't need it if you completed OTR 410 ( which I did, with an A), however, seeing everyone else's stats makes it clear that that is not the case. so by next year I plan to have a decent amount of volunteer hours.
I also don't have any relevant work experience, but my extracurriculars are pretty full, albeit not with anything too closely related to OT :[

OH, does anyone know if CSUDH accepts pre-req classes from UCLA Extension?

okay, thanks for the info! I am planning on making an appointment with CSUDH's student services center as per the recommendation of the department when I emailed them some of my questions. Did you by any chance get two letters in the mail? I received one saying I was denied, and another saying something about my application not being complete. It was sent to my parents' house, so I haven't actually gotten a chance to look at it, but I was curious if they sent something like that to everyone who was denied or if I missed something in my application.

Pre-req GPA: 3.78 (one A- and one B in Anatomy) - Definitely going to retake Anatomy for next year.
I had 2 phenomenal LOR's and one generic one that I had to get last minute, all three were from professors which might not have been the best approach, next year I am planning on having an OT and my employer complete ones for me.
I didn't have any volunteer hours because attending the info session made it seem like you didn't need it if you completed OTR 410 ( which I did, with an A), however, seeing everyone else's stats makes it clear that that is not the case. so by next year I plan to have a decent amount of volunteer hours.
I also don't have any relevant work experience, but my extracurriculars are pretty full, albeit not with anything too closely related to OT :[

CSUDH told me that they would accept my physiology class from UCLA extension. Which class r u planning on taking there?

I'm honestly shocked that you weren't accepted...

CSUDH does accept UCLA extension classes - I have taken plenty there. Intro to Anatomy is a good class and so is Physiology Fundamentals. Send an email to CSUDH to make sure this class is accepted. They told me it was for this passed cycle, but it never hurts to have an email confirmation before you take it.

I took the OTR 410 class and had no volunteer hours and I also scored a 4 on the AW portion of the GRE. I think this really impacted my application.
I also think (though, I might be wrong) they want A's in physio and anatomy not A-'s or below. I am thinking about retaking anatomy at UCLA ext. to get higher than an A-, but it cost about $1000 for class. Anyway, that is my two cents into why I got denied. I welcome any other opinions on the topic because I really need to make it next year. Thanks for any advice.

Does anybody know if it's possible to defer for a year?

For past, current, and recently accepted students: What type and how much financial aid did you receive? It's a relief that CSUDH is affordable but any type of aid sure does help. Thanks for any response!