CSUDH Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone! So I keep checking the forums since this is the way I can stay updated from you all - thanks everyone for sharing btw!

Does anyone know if people have started to get wait listed? I haven't heard anything - if I've gotten accepted or not and I'm curious if they've sent wait list letters as well..

@yume88 I got a letter letting me know I'm on the waitlist yesterday in the mail (snail mail). So to answer your question, they have started sending them out. My letter was dated November 17th

Members don't see this ad.

I got my letter last night and I wasn't accepted :( ... I'm definitely going to do better on my GRE scores for the next cycle.

Don't give up guys! Work on what you know you need to to improve on if you really want it.

I am so sorry to hear that. I applied as well but have not heard back anything yet. Did you get the letter in an email or through snail mail? Dont give up!

@Otorange @silverwolf @Smartpig25 @wannabeOTinCA @otjwl92
Or anyone else who knows.
I applied for fafsa in January and listed CSUDH as a potential school. When I look on the portal it shows I have no Financial Aid awards for 2016. I'm not sure if it is just too early for the school to have caught up (just admitted to the program, status just changed today)? Or, if I'm just not getting any financial aid? Can any of you tell me if it shows your financial aid. I'm going to call the department Monday, I just thought I'd ask all of you too. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@Needcoffee11 @justooridoori

Hoping and praying for the best for both of you! And thanks for the updates!

I was wondering if any of your statuses updated on your mycsudh?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I applied for fafsa in January and listed CSUDH as a potential school. When I look on the portal it shows I have no Financial Aid awards for 2016. I'm not sure if it is just too early for the school to have caught up (just admitted to the program, status just changed today)? Or, if I'm just not getting any financial aid? Can any of you tell me if it shows your financial aid. I'm going to call the department Monday, I just thought I'd ask all of you too. :)
@accio_puppies I submitted my FAFSA to them as well and haven't heard anything... Yet I've heard from other schools where I haven't even been accepted yet. I'm not sure if I should just wait or contact fin aid office

Reactions: 1 user
@Needcoffee11 @justooridoori

Hoping and praying for the best for both of you! And thanks for the updates!

I was wondering if any of your statuses updated on your mycsudh?

Thanks!

Thanks @deejayy ! I hope you hear great news soon! :) My status on mycsudh still says "file is complete and sent to the appropriate department for review." My guess is that it won't change until the department decides if there's an open seat or not, after all the acceptances have been sent out.

Last edited:
I submitted my FAFSA after the deadline and my 'view financial aid' link comes up with the 2016 year and says no financial aid data available. Then when I click on the 'accept/decline awards' link it says award access not available. It might be because they haven't charged my account yet (it says I have no outstanding charges at this time), but I'm not sure. I'm going to call on Monday and see what they say. If you are questioning it, if doesn't hurt to call.

Thanks, @Smartpig25 and @wannabeOTinCA. Mine says the same as yours that I have no financial aid data available and I also can't accept or decline awards. I'm gong to call Monday too.

@yume88 I got a letter letting me know I'm on the waitlist yesterday in the mail (snail mail). So to answer your question, they have started sending them out. My letter was dated November 17th
I hope it works out for you. :) Do you mind sharing your stats?

I hope it works out for you. :) Do you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks @Idealistic87 ! I hope you get great news soon! Sure my stats are:

Psychology Major
GPA: 3.46
Prereq GPA: 3.7 (all A's and one B)
GRE: 160 V 150 Q 4.5 AWA
120 shadow hours pediatric OT
1 year experience as an Early Intervention Educator for infants and toddlers with Developmental Delays
1 year experience as a Behavior Therapist
3 strong letters of Rec: 1 from OT I shadowed, 1 from previous employer, and 1 from professor

I'm hopeful that I'll hear something back soon, but I'm not counting on it. They said that I may not hear anything until January 11th.

Congrats to everyone that's gotten in!! :)

Hello! Did the letter you received state what number on the wait-list you are or did it only say you made the list? Best of luck! I am still waiting to hear something back!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked mycsudh. It states that I have been denied of admissions. :(

@futureeot2015

Sorry to hear that! I wish you the best of luck with all your other apps! Hoping and praying you hear great news soon!:)

If you don't mind, what were your stats?

Also, did you eventually receive a letter via mail?

Thanks!

Hello! Did the letter you received state what number on the wait-list you are or did it only say you made the list? Best of luck! I am still waiting to hear something back!
Hi! It just said that I made the waitlist and would be notified if a seat opened up. I'm not sure if it's ranked or more just a pool that they can pick from. Thanks! Best of luck to you too :)

@accio_puppies @wannabeOTinCA I just got off the phone with financial aid and they said they are still processing my FAFSA and it will take about a week since there is a lot they have to process right now. She said I would get an email when it is done with any awards (including grants, scholarships and loans). I'm assuming it's the same type of situation for everyone.

@accio_puppies @wannabeOTinCA I just got off the phone with financial aid and they said they are still processing my FAFSA and it will take about a week since there is a lot they have to process right now. She said I would get an email when it is done with any awards (including grants, scholarships and loans). I'm assuming it's the same type of situation for everyone.
@Smartpig25 Good to know, thanks for filling me in! I was about to call.. but i'll wait now. I'm anxious to get the schedule. Anyone know how many days a week OT students usually have class?

It looks like I won't be going to CSUDH next year. The letter I received today was dated 11/20.

Hi @sjw,

Sorry to hear that! Wishing, hoping, and praying for the best of luck for you! Don't give up!

If you don't mind me asking what were your stats? Also, did you're mycsudh status update as well?

Thanks for keeping us all up to date! And again, best of luck to you!

Hi, @deejayy. I don't plan on giving up. I'm sure I'll be rejected from other schools too, and that's okay as long as one school accepts me. Anyway, here are my stats:

Psychology Major
GPA: 3.16 (very poor grades from the first college I went to, but >3.5 for my last 130 credits)
Prereq GPA: ~3.5 (too lazy to calculate the CSUDH-specific number again because I didn't get in)
GRE: V-159 Q-162 AWA-4.0
Volunteer/Observation: ~350h in 4 settings
Work xp: ~1200h as a mental health worker at an acute psychiatric hospital.
LoR: 1 prof, 1 charge nurse, 1 OT (waived access to them)

I did all my prereqs, volunteering/observation, and GRE within the past year while working, and I doubt I'll retake any classes or the GRE. I'll figure something out...

Wow, you have amazing stats. I'm eager to know why they wouldn't at the very least put you on the waitlist. Good luck and don't give up!

Hi y'all... Another rejection here :( lol pretty upset but I wish the best of luck to everyone else! Too bad we all couldn't have been accepted ;)

For those wondering... Received my letter via snail mail today postmarked 11/20. Not even wait listed! Ouch lol

Hi guys! So I don't know if anybody knows, but does CSUDH rank their waitlists? Or has anyone heard of people actually getting off the waitlist and being admitted? This program is my top choice and I don't want to give up hope unnecessarily

Hi y'all... Another rejection here :( lol pretty upset but I wish the best of luck to everyone else! Too bad we all couldn't have been accepted ;)

For those wondering... Received my letter via snail mail today postmarked 11/20. Not even wait listed! Ouch lol
Hi! I'm so sorry. :( I'm scared to check my mail now! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Hi guys! So I don't know if anybody knows, but does CSUDH rank their waitlists? Or has anyone heard of people actually getting off the waitlist and being admitted? This program is my top choice and I don't want to give up hope unnecessarily
Hi! I was waitlisted 2 years ago, and the letter didn't say where I was on the waitlist. I even contacted staff, and they refused to give me any information. I didn't get in. :( Maybe try calling them?

Hi! I'm so sorry. :( I'm scared to check my mail now! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Classics major
UCI then transferred to University of Wisconsin-Madison
Undergrad 3.6
Prereq - all As but B anatomy
GRE - 158 V 152 Q 4 AWA

Good luck Idealistic! I really hope you have good news coming your way.

Classics major
UCI then transferred to University of Wisconsin-Madison
Undergrad 3.6
Prereq - all As but B anatomy
GRE - 158 V 152 Q 4 AWA

Good luck Idealistic! I really hope you have good news coming your way.
Wow, we have almost exactly the same stats (but your GPA is a .0144 higher than mine)!

Thanks! :)

I'm expecting a letter in the mail any day now, so I will keep you all posted. I'm prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best. :) Since this is my third time applying to OT school (and second time applying to CSUDH), if I don't get in, I'm going to move on with my life. I just hope I won't be waitlisted again, and not get in (again). I have a theory that whoever hasn't heard yet is either going to be rejected or waitlisted, as I haven't heard of anyone getting an acceptance letter these past few weeks.

@yume88 I haven't heard of anyone being wait listed but I don't think they are to that point yet. In the email I got from Sam, he said that the cohort wouldn't be complete until late November or early December. There is still hope!

Also, once I formed the Facebook group, someone let me know that there was already a group that was created a couple weeks prior. Everyone should just join that one instead, and I'll delete the one that I posted earlier. Here is the link for the other group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1650955251812934/

Really hoping and praying that they are still sending out acceptances!

For those of you who got accepted so far, was it Terry who personally emailed you the acceptance pdf or was it from some general CSUDH admissions email address?

Thanks!:)

For those of you who got accepted so far, was it Terry who personally emailed you the acceptance pdf or was it from some general CSUDH admissions email address?

Thanks!:)
@deejayy mine was from Patricia p. Suarez. And terry was copied.

I just checked MyCSUDH, and I didn't get in. :(

I just checked mine too and have been denied admission to the university :(

Do you guys think the school admissions and the program admissions are connected?

Like could someone get denied from Dominguez but get an acceptance letter to the program? Because that would suck!!

Just curious,

Is there anyone on these forums whose status hasn't change yet on mycsudh?

In other words does your status still say something along the lines like "your application has been sent to the department for review"?

Just curious. Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!:)

Just curious,

Is there anyone on these forums whose status hasn't change yet on mycsudh?

In other words does your status still say something along the lines like "your application has been sent to the department for review"?

Just curious. Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!:)

Hey @deejayy, mine hasn't changed and still says sent to the department for review

Hi everyone,

I'm new here but I just made an account to add an update. I didn't get in :(
I got my letter today, postmarked 11/25.

My stats:

Cumulative GPA: 3.5
PreReqs: All A's except 2 B's (Anatomy and Lifespan Psychology)
GRE: 154V, 158Q, 4.0AWA
Observation: 82 hours at a pediatric OT clinic
2.5 years as a behavioral interventionist in a school district
8 years volunteering at a non-profit, week-long summer camp for adults and kids with disabilities
3 LOR: 1 from OT, 1 from non-profit director, 1 from employer

Also, side note for those wondering: I think the admissions office is separate from the OT department. Something went wrong with my transcripts at the admissions office and on myCSUDH my application was "incomplete passed deadline" but I spoke with Terry Peralta and she said my application would be fully reviewed anyway. I also spoke with someone at the front desk of the OT department and they said that their screenings are different. If I had been accepted, they would write a memo to admissions overriding the "incomplete".

I'm actually quite bummed out as CSUDH was my #1 choice but best of luck to everyone who hasn't heard back yet! May the odds be ever in your favor!

I finally got my official rejection letter (dated November 25th). As this is my third OT school rejection in a row (over 3 years), I will be moving on. Good luck to the rest of you!

I finally got my official rejection letter (dated November 25th). As this is my third OT school rejection in a row (over 3 years), I will be moving on. Good luck to the rest of you!
Oh no! I know a lot of deadlines aren't until January. Most people I know apply to 10-15 schools because it's so hard to get in. Is CSUdh the only school you are interested in? Don't give up! I'm sure you can get into a different school this year!

Oh no! I know a lot of deadlines aren't until January. Most people I know apply to 10-15 schools because it's so hard to get in. Is CSUdh the only school you are interested in? Don't give up! I'm sure you can get into a different school this year!
Thanks for the kind words. :)

Here's what happened...I applied to CSUDH 2 years ago, and was waitlisted, but did not get in. Last year, I applied to USC, and was rejected (not even waitlisted). This year, I reapplied to CSUDH, and was rejected (not even waitlisted this time). As much as I'd like to go to another school, I actually have a serious health condition, so I need to live with my parents (we live in Gardena), so CSUDH is the only school I was considering, as it is within an hour's commuting distance. As mentioned, I did apply to USC last year, but I'm actually grateful I didn't get in, as it's a little too far (and expensive!) for me anyway. I'm bummed I didn't get into CSUDH, but at the same time, I honestly feel a little relieved, because I can now finally move on with my life. :)

Best of luck to you!

Here's what happened...I applied to CSUDH 2 years ago, and was waitlisted, but did not get in. Last year, I applied to USC, and was rejected (not even waitlisted). This year, I reapplied to CSUDH, and was rejected (not even waitlisted this time). As much as I'd like to go to another school, I actually have a serious health condition, so I need to live with my parents (we live in Gardena), so CSUDH is the only school I was considering, as it is within an hour's commuting distance. As mentioned, I did apply to USC last year, but I'm actually grateful I didn't get in, as it's a little too far (and expensive!) for me anyway. I'm bummed I didn't get into CSUDH, but at the same time, I honestly feel a little relieved, because I can now finally move on with my life. :)

Best of luck to you!
Ugh I'm so sorry! Good luck to you as well. Knowing the effort you put into this, I'm sure you will be great in whatever you choose to do!

Thank you!

My stats are:
Undergrad: UCLA
Cumulative GPA: 3.51
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 148 V, 159 Q, 4.5 AWA (not sure how I did so badly on verbal...)
LOR: 1 OT from peds clinic, 1 employer, 1 professor (anatomy)
Experience: 80 hours peds clinic, another 20 hours split up in multiple settings (adult day care, hospital, elementary school)

I've been working at a research lab for three years as a technician. I'm grateful for the research experience but I've long wanted to work directly with patients and found OT to be the perfect career for my personality and what I want from my career. I've been taking my pre-reqs in the evenings and shadowing OT little by little over the past few years, since I've also been working full time. After so long, I'm so excited to finally be making the transition and beginning the next chapter of my life! :)

I also got accepted to West Coast University, which I've heard great things about. I was set on going there (closer to where I live, too) until I found out about my admission to CSUDH. If anyone has any thoughts about choosing between the two schools, please chime in. I know it seems dumb to pass up CSUDH at state tuition (vs 75k at West Coast) but I've heard the faculty and program at WCU are phenomenal. If anyone has any information about the quality of education at CSUDH, ease of getting desired fieldwork sites, and how well it prepares you for the NBCOT, please do share :).

Good luck to everyone else applying!!!
@silverwolf I attend CSUDH for undergrad and plan to apply to the MSOT program in a year. If you look at their website there's a link to their pass rate for the NBCOT and last year it was 100%. They beat out every single school in So Cal!

Best of luck to you!
Have you looked into West Coast and Stanbridge?

Hey everyone, I was wondering how early CSUDH will start sending acceptances?? I know late November is the projected date but I'm curious if anyone has gotten a letter as early as late October last year? Seeing that there seems to be some people here who got accepted, I was hoping someone can answer. And is there a pattern in the order they send acceptances vs. rejections?

Hey everyone, I was wondering how early CSUDH will start sending acceptances?? I know late November is the projected date but I'm curious if anyone has gotten a letter as early as late October last year? Seeing that there seems to be some people here who got accepted, I was hoping someone can answer. And is there a pattern in the order they send acceptances vs. rejections?
Hi! I was accepted last year (currently in the program), and I got my acceptance email on 10/26. It was a very general email from Patty, with the acceptance letter attached. Good luck! :)

@wannabeOTinCA Do you remember when you submitted your application? I know CSUDH isn't rolling admission, but I did turn in my application early. I just wondered if there's a correlation with date of acceptance and submit date. I'm getting anxious haha. I'm also a little concerned that the space provided for extracurriculars was small on the packet - I have a lot so I just listed them out.. didn't get to elaborate about them in detail otherwise I would have written all over the paper xD

@wannabeOTinCA Do you remember when you submitted your application? I know CSUDH isn't rolling admission, but I did turn in my application early. I just wondered if there's a correlation with date of acceptance and submit date. I'm getting anxious haha. I'm also a little concerned that the space provided for extracurriculars was small on the packet - I have a lot so I just listed them out.. didn't get to elaborate about them in detail otherwise I would have written all over the paper xD
I applied the day of the deadline last year, haha. My application arrived in the mail on the last day to turn it in.. so don't worry too much about application date! They don't even start reviewing apps until everyone's application is in. Also, I know (for a fact) they are still in the process of reviewing/ranking applications right now.. so I highly doubt they have sent out any acceptances yet!
I know how stressful the wait is. Hang in there!

I applied the day of the deadline last year, haha. My application arrived in the mail on the last day to turn it in.. so don't worry too much about application date! They don't even start reviewing apps until everyone's application is in. Also, I know (for a fact) they are still in the process of reviewing/ranking applications right now.. so I highly doubt they have sent out any acceptances yet!
I know how stressful the wait is. Hang in there!

Do you know if they are planning on having interviews? I know they didn't have any last year.

Do you know if they are planning on having interviews? I know they didn't have any last year.
I'm not sure if they'll do interviews this year. If they feel like they need follow up on applications, they might, but my gut feeling is that they won't this year. They did not do interviews last year because they had a clear list of acceptances after reviewing apps.

Hi, just wanted to let those who applied this 2016 that they are now sending acceptance letters. I got mine in the mail(email) today and got my accepted! I'm super excited! I did not get interviewed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, just wanted to let those who applied this 2016 that they are now sending acceptance letters. I got mine in the mail today and got my accepted! I'm super excited! I did not get interviewed.

Oh wow that was fast! I thought they said late November. Congratulations!! That is really exciting!!