Not open for further replies.

Malka122

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Good luck this cycle! I'm a upcoming freshman this year and went through 3 application cycles before I was accepted. If there's anything I can answer I will!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey guys! Good luck this cycle! I'm a upcoming freshman this year and went through 3 application cycles before I was accepted. If there's anything I can answer I will!

Great to see your determination, and congrats! Do you mind commenting on what determined you to be ready to enter dental school after three cycles? I'm a career changer who just submitted my application today.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congratulations on making it in!! I'm really happy for you!

20 AA, 19 PAT, 3.5 GPA, 3.4 Science GPA, Career Changer, 300 Shadowing Hrs and 200 Volunteer Hours

That's awesome. What did you do before you decided you wanted to be a dentist?

Your stats look good! Glad you all have a good amount of shadowing hours. They prefer a lot more hours than most schools.

Great to see your determination, and congrats! Do you mind commenting on what determined you to be ready to enter dental school after three cycles? I'm a career changer who just submitted my application today.

I met with Mrs. Perry after the first rejection and Dr. Hanes after the second to work on how to improve my application. I took their recommendations and I assume I impressed my interviewers. I retook the dat after the first attempt so I had a competitive 20/21 score. Third time was the charm!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I met with Mrs. Perry after the first rejection and Dr. Hanes after the second to work on how to improve my application. I took their recommendations and I assume I impressed my interviewers. I retook the dat after the first attempt so I had a competitive 20/21 score. Third time was the charm!

Do you have suggestions on what to/not to do for the interview?

Do you have suggestions on what to/not to do for the interview?

Relax and be social. Student Doctor Network has a bunch of previous interview questions on here. Practice them. Over all of it, be yourself.

Hi,
About to submit my application in a few days. Trying to get my personal statement and CV together.
PAT: 20 AA: 21 TS:21 GPA: 3.74 Shadowing: Almost 250 hours
What do you guys think?

Hi,
About to submit my application in a few days. Trying to get my personal statement and CV together.
PAT: 20 AA: 21 TS:21 GPA: 3.74 Shadowing: Almost 250 hours
What do you guys think?

I think you're good to go, just try to submit as soon as you can and do well on the interview. What University are you going to now?

I think you're good to go, just try to submit as soon as you can and do well on the interview. What University are you going to now?

I actually just graduated a couple of months ago from Armstrong State University in Savannah, GA

Hi! First of all, congratulations on your acceptance! I was wondering, if it's not too personal, do you mind telling us what were some of the things they suggested for you to improve on?

Thank you!

Hi! First of all, congratulations on your acceptance! I was wondering, if it's not too personal, do you mind telling us what were some of the things they suggested for you to improve on?

Thank you!

The first time I had to improve my DAT score. I had below average scores. They also suggested getting shadowing hours from more branches of dentistry (I had all of mine from a general dentist. After I met with them, I started volunteering/shadowing at a GPR Dentist, periodontist, and oral surgeon; it would've been nice to have seen some Endo and Ortho, but I didn't get the chance). I had the average amount of shadowing for acceptance my first year, but I basically doubled/tripled that by my final application cycle. When I met with Dr. Hanes she asked me if I kept up with recent dental research topics and I had because of my own interest and was able to explain some of the articles I've read. I think that helped some to show I was serious about wanting to be a dentist. However, be genuine. Dr. Hanes and the rest of the admissions staff can tell if you're being fake with them.

I had a lot of research experience that I was able to share with them. Most of my research experience was tobacco related and the molecules that I was analyzing initially are known to cause oral cancer. That gave me stuff to talk to them about.

The first time I had to improve my DAT score. I had below average scores. They also suggested getting shadowing hours from more branches of dentistry (I had all of mine from a general dentist. After I met with them, I started volunteering/shadowing at a GPR Dentist, periodontist, and oral surgeon; it would've been nice to have seen some Endo and Ortho, but I didn't get the chance). I had the average amount of shadowing for acceptance my first year, but I basically doubled/tripled that by my final application cycle. When I met with Dr. Hanes she asked me if I kept up with recent dental research topics and I had because of my own interest and was able to explain some of the articles I've read. I think that helped some to show I was serious about wanting to be a dentist. However, be genuine. Dr. Hanes and the rest of the admissions staff can tell if you're being fake with them.

I had a lot of research experience that I was able to share with them. Most of my research experience was tobacco related and the molecules that I was analyzing initially are known to cause oral cancer. That gave me stuff to talk to them about.

Thank you! I hope I get invited for an interview this cycle. :/

I have a couple of questions about the Augusta supplemental:

1. In the "Other personal info" section, every activity I did is already reported on my AADSAS application and instructions say I shouldn't duplicate them, so should I leave those spaces completely blank, or write N/A or something?

2. For the "Why Augusta COD?" and future practice plan essay questions, is there a limit on the number of characters? There's no mention of character limit, so I'm curious to know how much everyone else wrote and get a ballpark number.

I have a couple of questions about the Augusta supplemental:

1. In the "Other personal info" section, every activity I did is already reported on my AADSAS application and instructions say I shouldn't duplicate them, so should I leave those spaces completely blank, or write N/A or something?

2. For the "Why Augusta COD?" and future practice plan essay questions, is there a limit on the number of characters? There's no mention of character limit, so I'm curious to know how much everyone else wrote and get a ballpark number.

1. Yes that is what I did

2. If I recall when you start typing a character limit appears.

Hey, does anyone know if whether the references section in the supplemental has to be filled out in order for our evaluators to evaluate us again? One of my professors is on a study abroad trip and I can't seem to get in contact with her to give her a heads up about it.

I'm an instate resident but I haven't received an email about supp. My gpa and dat are verified. When do we normally get that email? It says on their website that you get it almost right away if we are instate.

I'm an instate resident but I haven't received an email about supp. My gpa and dat are verified. When do we normally get that email? It says on their website that you get it almost right away if we are instate.

My GPA was verified 7/13 and the app was mailed 7/15. I got a supplemental app link yesterday. I think a week is probably going to go by before you get it.

DCG received my AADSAS verified application July 1, and I got the supplemental app July 11, so mine took a little while for them to send.

Hey, does anyone know if whether the references section in the supplemental has to be filled out in order for our evaluators to evaluate us again? One of my professors is on a study abroad trip and I can't seem to get in contact with her to give her a heads up about it.

They just want you to enter the info about your evaluators, they don't send them another request for the LORs. They use LORs from your AADSAS application. Most other schools ask for the same thing on their supplemental applications.

Mine was taking a while, so I emailed them asking why I did not receive my supplementary yet. They sent me a link to supplementary application the next day, might have been a coincidence.

Thanks for answering my question everyone! I'll email them and ask if I don't receive the supp email by next week. :)

Another question about the supplemental:

"Describe additional honors, awards or other notable achievements (along with necessary description) you have received that were not included on the AADSAS application. Include dates, description, and awarding organization." Does this include things from high school? I initially thought it would be things achieved only after high school (just like AADSAS), but then the next question, "Describe any/all organized sports, band activity.... in which you were affiliated with during high school, college or thereafter" states that we CAN include extracurricular activities done during high school, so I was wondering if the former question can include things from high school as well...

Appreciate your answers!

If it does not state high school in the first question, I would assume not.
I think they're asking about extracurricular in HS because some do dental related activities even then. For example, one of the dentist I shadowed who went to August shadowed and volunteered at dental clinics in HS.

Another question about the supplemental:

"Describe additional honors, awards or other notable achievements (along with necessary description) you have received that were not included on the AADSAS application. Include dates, description, and awarding organization." Does this include things from high school? I initially thought it would be things achieved only after high school (just like AADSAS), but then the next question, "Describe any/all organized sports, band activity.... in which you were affiliated with during high school, college or thereafter" states that we CAN include extracurricular activities done during high school, so I was wondering if the former question can include things from high school as well...

Appreciate your answers!

For the first question I did not include anythhing, as everything was already on my AADSAS, but for the second question I talked more about my church activities since AADSAS gives a small word limit to explain your extracurricular activities. I would definitely talk about high school activities if you did not include those on AADSAS!

Hello! How long did it take for you guys to receive supplemental application after submitting the AADSAS application?

Hello! How long did it take for you guys to receive supplemental application after submitting the AADSAS application?

They received my AADSAS in jul 1, and sent me a supplemental request on 11th. I did have to send a few emails to make sure they have everything they need from me, not sure if that influenced the amount of time it took them to send me secondary.

They received my AADSAS in jul 1, and sent me a supplemental request on 11th. I did have to send a few emails to make sure they have everything they need from me, not sure if that influenced the amount of time it took them to send me secondary.

Do you know if the school is pretty responsive with their emails? I sent an inquiry email to [email protected], but I haven't gotten a reply back for over a week now...

Do you know if the school is pretty responsive with their emails? I sent an inquiry email to [email protected], but I haven't gotten a reply back for over a week now...

I believe Kira Dittfurth is responsible for getting the applications together, she usually responds within a day and is very helpful.

Good luck, guys! Be patient waiting for your interview and be confident when you go to your interview!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hi everyone, I was hoping you could help me!
I'm applying to the Dental College of GA next year, but I'm having trouble knowing whether I'm eligible. Although I am a GA resident (I have a GA driver's license, voting registration, and I pay taxes in GA), I have been studying abroad in Montreal, Canada at Concordia University. It is an English-instructed school with an American GPA system and I'm eligible for U.S. federal aid, however, on their website, the dental college of GA specifies a requirement of 90-credit hours at a U.S. accredited institution. Previously, I thought this to mean a institution accredited by the U.S. but now I understand it to be a U.S. institution with accreditation (subtle grammatical nuances). In any case, I called their admissions office and was told some foreign schools meet this requirement but I would have to check with Concordia to see if it's U.S. accredited. However, Concordia tells me they are recognized around the world and I shouldn't have any problems, but I should confirm with Augusta. Since then, I have contacted the U.S. Dept. of Education, the ADEA, the GA Board of dentistry with no results. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do?

Hello I have a question about the DCG's supplement...

So under Additional Extracurricular, Community and Volunteer Activities in "Other Personal Info Continued", is it necessary for us to put down a response?

Because the instruction says "Do not duplicate answers on B-D if it was already reported on the AADSAS," and it wouldnt let me submit & pay until I put down some kind of a response in there...

I was thinking about putting down "N/A", but I was wondering if they want more info. than just saying "I helped them by doing this this and this" on the AADSAS app.

Thank you so much everyone!

Hello I have a question about the DCG's supplement...

So under Additional Extracurricular, Community and Volunteer Activities in "Other Personal Info Continued", is it necessary for us to put down a response?

Because the instruction says "Do not duplicate answers on B-D if it was already reported on the AADSAS," and it wouldnt let me submit & pay until I put down some kind of a response in there...

I was thinking about putting down "N/A", but I was wondering if they want more info. than just saying "I helped them by doing this this and this" on the AADSAS app.

Thank you so much everyone!

I wrote N/A wanted to make sure I followed instructions lol

Congratulations on getting accepted on your third attempt! If you don't mind, can I ask if you were invited to interview during the first 2 application attempts, or were you rejected outright after applying?

Congratulations on getting accepted on your third attempt! If you don't mind, can I ask if you were invited to interview during the first 2 application attempts, or were you rejected outright after applying?

First attempt I didn't interview - my DAT score was too low. Got much higher scores second time and was invited for a interview I think around September. Didn't get in after first interview (second application cycle), but kept in contact with Dr. Hanes and met with her to improve my application, which definitely helped get me in the last attempt.

By keep in contact I don't mean annoy the crap out of Dr. Hanes and the admission staff. That'll definitely hurt you.

What emails have you all received so far and have you taken your DAT?
-Soon after submitting my application I received an email with a link to the supplemental
-Then, I received another email after submitting the supplemental stating that they received my ADEA AASAS application for the 2017 cycle and that after inital review my applciation ahs been put on hold for DAT scores. (Which makes sense because I haven't taken it yet. (My status under school decsisions was, "Received/Waiting Additional Information")
-Then one day later I received another email stating the following....
upload_2016-8-11_20-59-37.png

My status under school decisions then changed to, "Received/Under Review".

Are these the same emails you all received? Are they just telling me that in order to be complete I need to have all of that submitted? If so, then why was my school decision status changed?

Ah, if no one knows I'll just hold off until next week and send them my scores then.

Status
Not open for further replies.