DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the secondary invite this morning and it was immediatly followed with an interview! Does anyone know how picky they are about a DO letter? I have an MD family med letter...

same here...but they dont have many interview days available for me to pick...and no interview day in oct, nov, dec.. at this point

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking through last years thread. It looks like DMU basically looks at your gpa and your mcat, and if they meet a certain standard, then they send out an interview invite. I'm curious what the standard is though.
I had:
Mcat: 28
cGPA: 3.23 on an upward trend, at a top 15 liberal arts school.

I was looking through last years thread. It looks like DMU basically looks at your gpa and your mcat, and if they meet a certain standard, then they send out an interview invite. I'm curious what the standard is though.
I had:
Mcat: 28
cGPA: 3.23 on an upward trend, at a top 15 liberal arts school.

Got secondary email and interview invite today also. Really excited about it.

MCAT: 28p
sGPA: 3.81
cGPA: 3.77

Members don't see this ad :)
Got secondary email and interview invite today also. Really excited about it.

MCAT: 28p
sGPA: 3.81
cGPA: 3.77

MCAT: 28O
sGPA: 3.92
cGPA: 3.89

And nothing here as far as interview invite, even though I've had my secondary submitted and complete for over 2 weeks.

It seems that a 28+ may be an automatic invite judging from the scores posted thus far. Out of curiosity, did you all have your letters in before receiving an invitation to interview? It's the only thing holding my folder back, and I seem to recall somebody posting that they got an invitation without having their letters in.

And nothing here as far as interview invite, even though I've had my secondary submitted and complete for over 2 weeks.

I've been complete since late July but nothing here either. I emailed them today to try to feel them out but they just replied with a generic response that I will receive a decision by the end of August. Kind of strange how they are picking people to interview, but I am kind of uneasy about it because other people who were marked complete the same day are getting interviews as are people who are just submitting secondaries.Regardless, I'm not in any particular rush because I wouldn't mind hearing back from a few other schools so, if I am lucky enough to get a few more interviews, I would ideally like to plan them around the same time so I won't have the deposit conundrum I had to go through last year.

HUH?! I thought you already got an interview cuz you asked me about the flight info..

NO WORRIES. You have amazing stats and I will be surprised if they don't offer you an interview. Just be patient, and good luck! :luck:

so i just added DMU this monday on aacomas, aacomas released to DMU on thursday..received secondary Friday morning..then received interview invite immediately after on friday afternoon..wow everything happened within a week!! this school is fast!

28S, 3.89sGPA, CA resident

i wonder what their criterias are for selecting people for interview pre-secondary..cuz obviously i haven't turn in my letters and secondary app/fee

so i just added DMU this monday on aacomas, aacomas released to DMU on thursday..received secondary Friday morning..then received interview invite immediately after on friday afternoon..wow everything happened within a week!! this school is fast!

28S, 3.89sGPA, CA resident

i wonder what their criterias are for selecting people for interview pre-secondary..cuz obviously i haven't turn in my letters and secondary app/fee

Does it mean you guys don't have to pay for the secondary? :( I'm jealous! I should have waited (I turned in my secondary two weeks ago), lol..

I really hope they do more then just look at your mcat score, I'd like to think i have a good chance at getting in. But, its intimidating when my grades aren't as high as everyone else... Who knows, Maybe they read my stuff. I hope so. The more i read about this school the more impressed i am.

Does it mean you guys don't have to pay for the secondary? :( I'm jealous! I should have waited (I turned in my secondary two weeks ago), lol..

nah i still need to turn in everything prior to the interview date..but interview invite prior to completion of secondary is just a little odd...did this happened in previous years? in the invitation email i got from DMU, it says this is the 'fast-track' program..or something..

nah i still need to turn in everything prior to the interview date..but interview invite prior to completion of secondary is just a little odd...did this happened in previous years? in the invitation email i got from DMU, it says this is the 'fast-track' program..or something..

Yea, it happened last year as well. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Same thing happened to me. I submitted my secondary on the 5th, and got an interview invite on the 10th of August. They just asked me to have my letters in before I interview. It's something called FasTrack...not really sure how or why someone gets on that? Just scheduled it for september 16th!

This will be my first interview! Pretty excited...and DMU is my top choice for DO!

Nice! I guess I missed their cutoff...

Nice! I guess I missed their cutoff...

lol, you edited it..anyway, it only happened to people AFTER DMU already started giving out interviews..I assume you already got an interview invite from DMU? :)

lol, you edited it..anyway, it only happened to people AFTER DMU already started giving out interviews..I assume you already got an interview invite from DMU? :)

Haha. Busted!

Nope. No interview yet...

HUH?! I thought you already got an interview cuz you asked me about the flight info..

NO WORRIES. You have amazing stats and I will be surprised if they don't offer you an interview. Just be patient, and good luck! :luck:

Nope haven't gotten an invite yet, I was trying to get flight prices/info down because I really thought I'd be getting an interview from the first couple batches of invites.

Now that I'm seeing people that are getting a COMPLETE turn around (from primary to invite) in under a week I'm starting to wonder what's up. I thought applying early was supposed to benefit you, someone needs to tell the admissions staff that the new apps go at the bottom of the pile not the top :idea:

i've been complete since july 20, havent heard anything yet

Nope haven't gotten an invite yet, I was trying to get flight prices/info down because I really thought I'd be getting an interview from the first couple batches of invites.

Now that I'm seeing people that are getting a COMPLETE turn around (from primary to invite) in under a week I'm starting to wonder what's up. I thought applying early was supposed to benefit you, someone needs to tell the admissions staff that the new apps go at the bottom of the pile not the top :idea:

Wow..My file was complete on July 28th, and I got an interview invite on 08/09..which was the first day when they handed out interviews..It's kind of weird though. MLT2MT2DO!!!!! You have insane/amazing stats. I just don't understand..

The only thing I can come up with is that, the day I submitted my secondary I emailed the admission lady stating I was highly interested in their rural pathway. She was enthusiastic and said she'd place a note on my file...I'm wondering if it is now being mistaken for a "flag". Either way even if I don't hear back until day 30 I think I'm plenty early and I'm not going to sweat it.

For you guys who haven't got an invite yet, How much medical experience do you have? I was reading in last years thread, that several people who didn't get in, were told it was because of their lack of experience. Maybe medical experience, besides shadowing, is a requirement for interviews....

For you guys who haven't got an invite yet, How much medical experience do you have? I was reading in last years thread, that several people who didn't get in, were told it was because of their lack of experience. Maybe medical experience, besides shadowing, is a requirement for interviews....

10 years in a clinical medical laboratory, the last 3 as a supervisor. I don't think that is it. At least in my case I'm pretty sure some mishap has probably happened with my paperwork where I'm at the back of the line...I'm not going to fret too much unless I don't actually get an interview invite.

No interview here, and I got one last year. Three years as a medical assistant and two years of research. Plus some shadowing hours all while completing my undergrad. So I don't think that lack of medical experience is the reason. I do think the way they are giving interviews out is kind of backwards though. What's the point of submitting early if they don't review apps in chronological order...but anyways, I agree its still too early to worry about it so...patience is a virtue.

I just received an email from them saying that my supplemental app is completed. how long do you guys hear from them after yours are submitted? I heard lots of good things about this school and I really hope that they will send me an interview invitation :)

I just received an email from them saying that my supplemental app is completed. how long do you guys hear from them after yours are submitted? I heard lots of good things about this school and I really hope that they will send me an interview invitation :)

It really seems to vary. Some people have heard back within hours (I think those were only the Fastrack people though), others 1-2 weeks, and some are still waiting. I was complete on 7-28 and had an invite on 8-9.

yeah, in the email they say they will let me know within 30 days. I wish that they have a portal website so I can obsessively check my status :D

Haven't gotten an interview yet, complete since 8/2. 3.5 and 30P, about 100 hours of shadowing (although only about 20 shadowing a DO) and a couple semesters as an ER volunteer. I also spent about 75 hours during my senior year of high school shadowing, I didn't include that on the AACOMAS activities list but did mention the experience in my personal statement.

I really really want to get in this school! My interview for DMU on 09/09 is fast approaching and its making me really nervous. This school is my top choice in DO schools and hopefully I will get in..

I'll be really sad if I didn't.

Just a brief question to everybody. I have shadowed a DO who graduated from DMU and she was the one who wrote a letter of Rec for me (she indicated on the letter that she was an alum). Would this be an extra advantage for me? or just neutral?

I really really want to get in this school! My interview for DMU on 09/09 is fast approaching and its making me really nervous. This school is my top choice in DO schools and hopefully I will get in..

I'll be really sad if I didn't.

Just a brief question to everybody. I have shadowed a DO who graduated from DMU and she was the one who wrote a letter of Rec for me (she indicated on the letter that she was an alum). Would this be an extra advantage for me? or just neutral?

I would imagine an advantage, I'm in the same boat so I hope so too!

I would imagine an advantage, I'm in the same boat so I hope so too!

Thanks for the response. I'm crossing my fingers and praying for acceptance. I have three more weeks before the interview. Wow, I just realized you're interview date is the very first date available for this year's cycle. I guess you can give us an update of your interview and what kind of questions were asked. Also, I was reading old threads and people mentioned that the acceptance rate for DMU post-interview is high (approx 80% and above), is this true?

Thanks for the response. I'm crossing my fingers and praying for acceptance. I have three more weeks before the interview. Wow, I just realized you're interview date is the very first date available for this year's cycle. I guess you can give us an update of your interview and what kind of questions were asked. Also, I was reading old threads and people mentioned that the acceptance rate for DMU post-interview is high (approx 80% and above), is this true?

If it really is 80% that would make me a lot less stressed about my interview. I would still need to perform well, but i wouldn't be freaking out at the same time. lol.

I really hope that's true. Definitely less stress, but still gotta perform, like someone else said. I wonder, does anyone know how quickly they get back to you after interviews?

I really hope that's true. Definitely less stress, but still gotta perform, like someone else said. I wonder, does anyone know how quickly they get back to you after interviews?

They say within 2 weeks

Chalk up another one for the complete early but no invite bunch. Unfortunately fellas my gut tells me we've been screened out :shrug:

Chalk up another one for the complete early but no invite bunch. Unfortunately fellas my gut tells me we've been screened out :shrug:

Nah, man. I think they are just waiting to send out another batch of interviews. There is a lot of administrative work that goes into processing our applications and it does take a little time. Based on the sound of their complete email, we will hear one way or the other in ~30 days. So, in this case no news is not necessarily bad news. ;)

Last year, it took DMU over 40 days to send my interview invite. My stats haven't gone down since last year, and I have several years of clinical experience so I have to believe that it'll be coming eventually. I've been complete since 7/20. I called last Fri and Anna said we should be getting an email within a couple weeks.

Last year, it took DMU over 40 days to send my interview invite. My stats haven't gone down since last year, and I have several years of clinical experience so I have to believe that it'll be coming eventually. I've been complete since 7/20. I called last Fri and Anna said we should be getting an email within a couple weeks.

Well, on the bright side, I still have time to save more money for the trip... if an invite ever comes my way.

It would be nice to get a handful of interviews at the same time in order to minimize the deposit dollars spent... I think if I had to pick my top 2 DO schools it would be between DMU and CCOM. I would say PCOM and call it top 3, but if they have all these odd administrative hoops you have to jump through now, I can only imagine what kind of hell it is to get anything done once you're in there...

Anyone know what the acceptance deposit is for DMU?

edit: how much?

I would be more than happy to inform everyone about the interview (hopefully the night of, to help out the 9/3 guys!!!!). I am not sure of their post-interview acceptance rate..I do know that most DO schools typically have high acceptance rates, usually around 50% or more. However, I can't back up that with solid facts without doing some googleresearch, etc etc..

What part of CA are you from? I just moved to Iowa from Sacramento!