2020-2021 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an email asking if I was still interested in a seat. Anyone else get this email?
No, but I suspect that means you’re getting accepted soon! Also means waitlist is still moving!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an email asking if I was still interested in a seat. Anyone else get this email?
Received the same email. I believe it leads to an acceptance within a few days if you say you are still interested.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks. Has anyone heard of where DMU is in processing financial aid requests? Waiting on that letter for an apartment is a nail-biter.
you can call the financial aid office and they will send you an unofficial or sample financial aid offer letter which will suffice for your apartment's income requirement!

Has anyone got a direct email from Anna Cruz and has not been accepted?

My deferral was granted, so I will not be joining the class 2025, however I will be joining the class of 2026, so to all the people who will now be a year above me I wish you the best of luck! Thank you for all the help the past year and I can't wait to meet all of you in 2022.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
My deferral was granted, so I will not be joining the class 2025, however I will be joining the class of 2026, so to all the people who will now be a year above me I wish you the best of luck! Thank you for all the help the past year and I can't wait to meet all of you in 2022.
I’m glad to hear. Take care of yourself, we’ll look forward to meeting you next year!

Hey guys, I'm aware this question has been asked before but I also just received an email asking if I'm interested in a seat (I'm in second quartile). The thing is, I'm getting ready to attend another DO school but would still highly consider this school if accepted. I would like to know if every student who has received this email got accepted? Based on the previous replies I think people did??

Hey guys, I'm aware this question has been asked before but I also just received an email asking if I'm interested in a seat (I'm in second quartile). The thing is, I'm getting ready to attend another DO school but would still highly consider this school if accepted. I would like to know if every student who has received this email got accepted? Based on the previous replies I think people did??
I received this email and was accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody,

I withdrew today, so one of you will make it into dmu class for next year, good luck :)

Did anyone else receive an email if they’re still interested in a seat? I know someone else just asked this previously but I’m curious if anyone else received that today as well. My heart is beating so fast 😭.

• Care
I received the interest email 5 days ago and just got the acceptance today around 4 pm via phone call! I was in the 2nd Quartile. Stay positive guys!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Hey all,

I made an account just to post about the alternate list subject because this is getting nerve-racking, but the day after Photoelectric19 said they were dropping from this class I was sent an email asking if I was still interested (last Friday morning- 6/18). I'm all set to go to KCU, have housing set up, and am currently onboarding with them but I REALLY want to stay in Des Moines. The part of me that wants to go to DMU is saying this might lead to an A, but I could be delusional and multiple people could've been sent that email. What do y'all think? :)

Take care!

P.S.

I did email DMU explaining my situation in hopes it might get to a decision quicker although I'm sure that was a vain attempt. I'm saying that to say this which is, would telling them about my situation hurt their decision for me (if they were to make one)?

Last edited:
Hey all,

I made an account just to post about the alternate list subject because this is getting nerve-racking, but the day after Photoelectric19 said they were dropping from this class I was sent an email asking if I was still interested (last Friday morning- 6/18). I'm all set to go to KCU, have housing set up, and am currently onboarding with them but I REALLY want to stay in Des Moines. The part of me that wants to go to DMU is saying this might lead to an A, but I could be delusional and multiple people could've been sent that email. What do y'all think? :)

Take care!

P.S.

I did email DMU explaining my situation in hopes it might get to a decision quicker although I'm sure that was a vain attempt. I'm saying that to say this which is, would telling them about my situation hurt their decision for me (if they were to make one)?
I received that same email last Friday and I’m still waiting myself. Historically, even from past cycles, it means an acceptance is coming soon. How soon? I’m not really sure but soon lol. This might be me trying to convince myself but I’m claiming it and being patient. I don’t think multiple people received this email either because it has been asked before and it seems only a select few get this email at a time but I’m not sure either. I’m also not sure if telling them would hurt your decision. Perhaps, putting it in a interest letter/intent letter would help? Sorry I couldn’t give more helpful advice.

I received that same email last Friday and I’m still waiting myself. Historically, even from past cycles, it means an acceptance is coming soon. How soon? I’m not really sure but soon lol. This might be me trying to convince myself but I’m claiming it and being patient. I don’t think multiple people received this email either because it has been asked before and it seems only a select few get this email at a time but I’m not sure either. I’m also not sure if telling them would hurt your decision. Perhaps, putting it in a interest letter/intent letter would help? Sorry I couldn’t give more helpful advice.
I see. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this means we both received emails on 6/18. Wouldn't that mean they possibly sent out multiple emails to multiple candidates for the same spot (up until now my assumption was that one person was getting an email at a time)? What I'm trying to get at is I shouldn't get my hopes up since multiple people are getting these emails? FYI I'm personally trying to stay positive but realistically (for planning purposes) I shouldn't get too excited.

P.S. (again lol)

I wrote a letter of intent several months ago, and I'm not sure if I have anything more to say other than what I already did. I would assume it would be redundant/annoying to send another with essentially the same message. But, I could be wrong!

Last edited:
I see. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this means we both received emails on 6/18. Wouldn't that mean they possibly sent out multiple emails to multiple candidates for the same spot (up until now my assumption was that one person was getting an email at a time)? What I'm trying to get at is I shouldn't get my hopes up since multiple people are getting these emails? FYI I'm personally trying to stay positive but realistically (for planning purposes) I shouldn't get too excited.

P.S. (again lol)

I wrote a letter of intent several months ago, and I'm not sure if I have anything more to say other than what I already did. I would assume it would be redundant/annoying to send another with essentially the same message. But, I could be wrong!
It’s a possibility that they do send out multiple emails but I don’t think its to that many people on the waitlist. The trend from previous cycles including this one shows that acceptances come soon-ish (few days to a week+) after this interest email and that a handful of people get it at a time but this is all speculation. It’s really not over until its over but I understand your situation is more time-sensitive. I’m honestly not sure but based on what I’ve seen, I’m believing that an A is coming. I just don’t know when.

Unless you have a significant update, I think it may not be a good idea to send another interest letter but I don’t have much experience with this process so I wonder if someone else can answer that question for you.

It’s a possibility that they do send out multiple emails but I don’t think its to that many people on the waitlist. The trend from previous cycles including this one shows that acceptances come soon-ish (few days to a week+) after this interest email and that a handful of people get it at a time but this is all speculation. It’s really not over until its over but I understand your situation is more time-sensitive. I’m honestly not sure but based on what I’ve seen, I’m believing that an A is coming. I just don’t know when.

Unless you have a significant update, I think it may not be a good idea to send another interest letter but I don’t have much experience with this process so I wonder if someone else can answer that question for you.
Regardless of the outcome I appreciate the kind words of positivity!

Best of luck to all of us! 🙏

Hey all,

Take care!

P.S.

From experience, DMU treats their students fantastically, great culture, was sad to let them go even for my instate MD

Reactions: 2 users
To all current students - this may be a stupid question, but do courses have homework, psets, essays, etc. in between exams? Or are exams the main source of grading? Thanks in advance!

To all current students - this may be a stupid question, but do courses have homework, psets, essays, etc. in between exams? Or are exams the main source of grading? Thanks in advance!
No homework. Some classes have essays and crap but just wait until you start school to see what’s required of you , enjoy your summer

Has anyone gotten an email asking if they’re still interested and NOT previously interviewed with DMU or been put on the waitlist? Not sure if I should be getting my hopes up? I’ve never heard of something like that happening, especially so late in the cycle.

• Care
Has anyone gotten an email asking if they’re still interested and NOT previously interviewed with DMU or been put on the waitlist? Not sure if I should be getting my hopes up? I’ve never heard of something like that happening, especially so late in the cycle.
I got the email this morning too. I submitted my primary on 08/18/2020. Placed on hold for an interview on 02/19/2021 and got another hold email on 04/19/21. Just completed the survey expressing my continued interest. I've only had 1 interview this cycle that resulted in an R, so this definitely got my hopes up!

Just to add another data point, I'm in the same boat as mikki, submitted primary sometime in late July, placed on pre-II hold. Not on any waitlist for DMU. Submitted and said I am still interested.

If this is an interest-to-II email, I presume we'll be interviewing for a waitlist spot rather than an actual acceptance. Only time will tell, and I am hopeful!

i’m in the same boat, too! sending good vibes 2 all of us ❤️

Dmu is known for going deep into their waitlist so much so that I believe one year they completely exhausted it. Unfortunately, that left them scrambling to fill spots via interviews in July. I think they may be anticipating potentially going through the same thing for this cycle so that could explain the hold +interest email. They’re still in the 2nd Quartile but keep in mind, people have vacated spots in the other quartiles even this one. It sounds promising and I’m rooting for everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Me too!!! Just got the II email. I'm super stressed now lol. I've already enrolled in a grad program for this fall and I'm supposed to be moving there this weekend.

Also just got an II! Super excited, but trying to be realistic that it’s for a waitlist spot. 😅

In the same boat as the above! Let's give it a go and see what happens. Best of luck y'all!

For everyone who has interviewed and heard back - what was the timeline like for you to receive a decision?

Whenever someone hears back about Kira Talent, would you post the timeframe they give you pretty please? I totally get this is time-sensitive, but I also don't have a very secure internet connection for the next week (or interview clothes if this is a video?), so I'm not sure what to do.

Whenever someone hears back about Kira Talent, would you post the timeframe they give you pretty please? I totally get this is time-sensitive, but I also don't have a very secure internet connection for the next week (or interview clothes if this is a video?), so I'm not sure what to do.
What do you mean by "hear back"? Sorry, I'm probably just reading everything wrong lol (explains my CARS score haha).
If you mean how long we have to do Kira after we get the invite link, then it is 1 week. I got the Kira invite email today as well, a few hours after the initial interest survey email this morning.
"When: You can complete the Kira assessment at any time that works for you within the next week. The entire assessment will take about 20-30 minutes."

Tbh I'm so nervous to do the assessment... when is everyone else planning on doing Kira?

What do you mean by "hear back"? Sorry, I'm probably just reading everything wrong lol (explains my CARS score haha).
If you mean how long we have to do Kira after we get the invite link, then it is 1 week. I got the Kira invite email today as well, a few hours after the initial interest survey email this morning.
"When: You can complete the Kira assessment at any time that works for you within the next week. The entire assessment will take about 20-30 minutes."
Yeah, that’s exactly what I meant. Thank you!

Last edited:
Any idea how many spots are left?
They’re still in the 2nd Quartile of the waitlist as of now but they’re starting to interview more people because I believe the waitlist is going to potentially be exhausted. They’re accepting & interviewing as more seats open up, I assume.

Whenever someone hears back about the zoom session (if we get one that is), could you post the dates/times here? As well as how long it took between completing Kira and getting zoom session info? Thanks in advance :D

Do you guys think these interviews will have a quicker turn around since classes start so soon? Or are we expecting the full 3 weeks?

Do you guys think these interviews will have a quicker turn around since classes start so soon? Or are we expecting the full 3 weeks?

Honestly, I'd expect it to be entirely dependent on whether they feel their waitlist is going to continue moving. If it moves a lot, probably much faster than 3 weeks. If not, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the full 3 weeks at least.

We've done all we can at this point, if we end up getting a zoom session I'd take it as a positive that the WL is moving. Time to just breathe!

Do you think everyone gets the same Kira assessment questions or do you think there are some personalized questions asking about specifics on their app?

Kira is just a general question bank, nothing personal. At least I never got anything personal.

Also, any alternate listed people hear back yet? I’m hearing crickets, and I have 3 days until I move out of state. Kinda stinks to get my hopes up with that email and seeing all this news but hearing radio silence.

Praying for some more waitlist movement. It’s been so silent 😭

i’m hoping we hear back this week!! that’d be awesome