2020-2021 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my acceptance today (via text)! I also received an email yesterday from Anna Cruz asking if I was still interested in a seat. OOS, URM, 508 MCAT, 3.6 gpa, 3.4 sgpa, first quartile waitlist.

Does anyone know how much time we are given to make a seat deposit for DMU? It was not specific on the email (see below). And it looks like we are not able to place the deposit until after two business days, for those who may be confused.

"In two business days, you may secure your seat in the class by paying your seat deposit and viewing your outstanding requirements on the View Application Status tab in your DMU admissions account."
I got mine today and it says due 5/31 which is a holiday so I plan on asking during that success call.

Members don't see this ad.

I reached out with an update and was told by Anna Cruz that they have made some offers to people in the second quartile. Let’s just hope for continued movement!

Reactions: 5 users
Hello current and future DMU students! I will be starting in the fall and i am wondering if any of you could give me some advice on choosing an apartment in the area. Have any of you had good or bad experiences with apartments near dmu?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello current and future DMU students! I will be starting in the fall and i am wondering if any of you could give me some advice on choosing an apartment in the area. Have any of you had good or bad experiences with apartments near dmu?
I used just moved out of the Wetherell on Grand Ave. Walking distance to DMU and Ingersoll, super close to downtown or the interstate. It has on site laundry and water was included, and my electric bill was only like $20/month and maybe $35 in the winter? I loved it but we outgrew it!

I was wondering what a daily class schedule at DMU looks like? I have gotten accepted and am trying to organize what I'll be doing next year:)

Reactions: 1 user
I used just moved out of the Wetherell on Grand Ave. Walking distance to DMU and Ingersoll, super close to downtown or the interstate. It has on site laundry and water was included, and my electric bill was only like $20/month and maybe $35 in the winter? I loved it but we outgrew it!
Thanks! I was looking at 3000 Grand - do you know if that’s a common place for students to live? Also, do most people find roommates in the program?

So I got accepted while I was out of town, and I paid my deposit and signed the agreement today but didn’t do the success call… they didn’t say anything about it in the emails.. just saw it on the form I signed.. but it was expected to be done by todah!

I’m scared

Withdrawing my acceptance here -- best of luck to everyone!

So I got accepted while I was out of town, and I paid my deposit and signed the agreement today but didn’t do the success call… they didn’t say anything about it in the emails.. just saw it on the form I signed.. but it was expected to be done by todah!

I’m scared
You should be okay! I had to change my call because I didn’t realize it was set to CDT — you can just go and schedule a new call!

You should be okay! I had to change my call because I didn’t realize it was set to CDT — you can just go and schedule a new call!
Thank you! I did and you’re right —it’s all good!

Feeling super hopeful as someone in the second quartile! Did anyone send final transcripts? and if so- to whom?

Members don't see this ad :)
Genuinely curious, how do you know the committee is meeting today? I'm just praying for the day that I dont have to check sdn everyday
First 2 waves of WL acceptances were on Thursdays. Assuming they meet Wednesday to finalize the list of who’s next to accept.

I just received an acceptance off the waitlist (2nd quartile) today! 3.4cgpa/3.14sgpa/513 MCAT, OOS, ORM

Reactions: 4 users
Tough decision but will be withdrawing my A today, hope it goes to one of you!

To any current students - is there a standard color of scrubs we should have for labs? Thanks!

Does anyone know the very last day they will pull someone from the waitlist?

Accepted Via Text (2nd Quartile) 3.8 GPA 510 MCAT OOS

Reactions: 2 users
Could any current students answer a couple questions. I have a few days to make a decision between DMU and another school.

How likely is it that we will be driving to a bunch of different sites for 3rd year rotations?

Does DMU help at all with setting up 4th year rotations or do we just pick and choose? (i.e can I just move back home and do everything there)

How do DMU students spend the summers after 1st and 2nd year? Do they do research fellowships?

Are all courses graded on the traditional scale? (i.e A, A-, B+ etc)

Does DMU offer any scholarships/financial aid to students as years progress?

Did any of you who has recently been accepted receive an email asking whether you’re still interested in a spot if it opens up? I’m in the 2nd quartile & I’m just wondering what I should be looking out for.

I’m at odds. I’ve been dealing with some mental health stuff and i’m at a point where I don’t know if i’d be happy actually going back to school. I’m not sure I want to accept and I’m having issues resolving that.

Are you happy with what you do now? Do you feel that what you are doing fulfils your desires to contribute to society? Are you able to make a career out of what you are doing now? Speaking from personal experience, not one person can tell you what makes you happy. Who is to say that you take a year or two off doing what you are doing now and find that you actually aren't happy, and that you want to be a physician? Reapply! If you have been accepted during this COMPETITIVE year, then chances are, if you really do want it later, you will get that A again.

Again, think about yourself in 40 years--can you accept the decision you are making today? Make a pros and cons list of it all. Speak with others and trusted persons for advice.

At the end of the day, we will end up where we need to be.

Good luck!!!

I’m at odds. I’ve been dealing with some mental health stuff and i’m at a point where I don’t know if i’d be happy actually going back to school. I’m not sure I want to accept and I’m having issues resolving that.
While I encourage anyone to pursue their dreams especially since you made it this far, you know YOU best. I’m a firm believer that you should always put your mental health first and everything else comes second. Disregard what other say, how do YOU feel?

There was a point when I was applying last year when my mental health tanked and I knew that if I were to start tomorrow I would not be okay enough to handle the rigor of med school on top of what I was dealing with but luckily, I have an awesome support system and I got the help I needed right on time.
Take care of yourself first, always! Talk to those around you, your loved ones, etc. & maybe talk to someone admissions (if you’re open to it) about the conflict. Maybe there’s an option to defer. I would like to see everyone win but not at the expense of their health. I hope you get to a decision that brings you peace. Good luck!

While I encourage anyone to pursue their dreams especially since you made it this far, you know YOU best. I’m a firm believer that you should always put your mental health first and everything else comes second. Disregard what other say, how do YOU feel?

There was a point when I was applying last year when my mental health tanked and I knew that if I were to start tomorrow I would not be okay enough to handle the rigor of med school on top of what I was dealing with but luckily, I have an awesome support system and I got the help I needed right on time.
Take care of yourself first, always! Talk to those around you, your loved ones, etc. & maybe talk to someone admissions (if you’re open to it) about the conflict. Maybe there’s an option to defer. I would like to see everyone win but not at the expense of their health. I hope you get to a decision that brings you peace. Good luck!
Yeah, I didn’t know asking if you can defer a year was an option. I might see about that. I’d rather not not go but taking a bit of time off would be nice.

Definitely ask about deferment. Also, I would see a therapist and possibly ask about some depression treatment from your doc. I will say, as a nontrad, who struggled to get in and to overcome a bad GPA, a bad day of medical school to me is better than any other day of the alternative. But that's not the same for everyone, like others say, only you know you. Also, I will say that occasionally fear and doubt creep in mixed with some imposter syndrome on the harder days (which lead to rare but brief ideas of quitting) I've heard this is common and I find that they're cured with some resets... a nap, chat with a friend or family member, etc... Idk if any of this helps but I hope you figure it out!
Yeah, I didn’t know asking if you can defer a year was an option. I might see about that. I’d rather not not go but taking a bit of time off would be nice.

• Care
For accepted students does it take a while for the deposit payment to update in the portal?

Did any of you who has recently been accepted receive an email asking whether you’re still interested in a spot if it opens up? I’m in the 2nd quartile & I’m just wondering what I should be looking out for.
No I didn’t get an email before just randomly got a text from 515 number

Definitely ask about deferment. Also, I would see a therapist and possibly ask about some depression treatment from your doc. I will say, as a nontrad, who struggled to get in and to overcome a bad GPA, a bad day of medical school to me is better than any other day of the alternative. But that's not the same for everyone, like others say, only you know you. Also, I will say that occasionally fear and doubt creep in mixed with some imposter syndrome on the harder days (which lead to rare but brief ideas of quitting) I've heard this is common and I find that they're cured with some resets... a nap, chat with a friend or family member, etc... Idk if any of this helps but I hope you figure it out!
Actually this helped a lot and for some reason your icon just goes perfectly with it for me.

Could any current students answer a couple questions. I have a few days to make a decision between DMU and another school.

How likely is it that we will be driving to a bunch of different sites for 3rd year rotations?

Does DMU help at all with setting up 4th year rotations or do we just pick and choose? (i.e can I just move back home and do everything there)

How do DMU students spend the summers after 1st and 2nd year? Do they do research fellowships?

Are all courses graded on the traditional scale? (i.e A, A-, B+ etc)

Does DMU offer any scholarships/financial aid to students as years progress?

1) I believe at least half the class gets central Iowa cohort --- so lots of driving for rotations
2) you set up auditions on your own and must have the paperwork submitted to DMU --- yes you get to choose it's your audition rotation
3) Some relax, some do the mentorship research program, some just board study, do whatever you want it's your last free summer.
4) yes graded unfortunately
5) unless you're URM, very unlikely to get any scholarships. Most scholarships are for 2nd years in good academic standings

Reactions: 2 users
1) I believe at least half the class gets central Iowa cohort --- so lots of driving for rotations
2) you set up auditions on your own and must have the paperwork submitted to DMU --- yes you get to choose it's your audition rotation
3) Some relax, some do the mentorship research program, some just board study, do whatever you want it's your last free summer.
5) unless you're URM, very unlikely to get any scholarships. Most scholarships are for 2nd years in good academic standings
Do people tend to get the 3rd year cohort they want? I know they said it's like a matching deal but half in Central Iowa is a lot, do a lot of students get stuck somewhere they don't want?

Are people competitive about the grading?

For 2nd year scholarships, is that something we would apply to closer to then?

Do people tend to get the 3rd year cohort they want? I know they said it's like a matching deal but half in Central Iowa is a lot, do a lot of students get stuck somewhere they don't want?

Are people competitive about the grading?

For 2nd year scholarships, is that something we would apply to closer to then?
1) I believe a lot of class gets their top 3 choices, but a lot of people are very unhappy with central Iowa (imagine driving an hour away each way for some sites during the winter of Iowa)
2) People collaborate, but there are gunners in every school. Just avoid those losers
3) Yep closer to date, they'll send out emails.

1) I believe a lot of class gets their top 3 choices, but a lot of people are very unhappy with central Iowa (imagine driving an hour away each way for some sites during the winter of Iowa)
2) People collaborate, but there are gunners in every school. Just avoid those losers
3) Yep closer to date, they'll send out emails.
1) so just to clarify about rotations, you could have IM in one city in Iowa, then FM in another city, and surgery in another?

2) say one or a couple of rotations are too far from your apartment where it’d be too time consuming to drive back and forth on a daily basis: what do students do then? i’m assuming they would find a place closer to the rotation site but isn’t that kind of annoying? finding a place for like 4 weeks and paying rent for that PLUS your actual apartment? & i doubt apartments offer 4 week long leases haha.

does DMU take that into consideration when employing the lottery system for rotations?

1) so just to clarify about rotations, you could have IM in one city in Iowa, then FM in another city, and surgery in another?

2) say one or a couple of rotations are too far from your apartment where it’d be too time consuming to drive back and forth on a daily basis: what do students do then? i’m assuming they would find a place closer to the rotation site but isn’t that kind of annoying? finding a place for like 4 weeks and paying rent for that PLUS your actual apartment? & i doubt apartments offer 4 week long leases haha.

does DMU take that into consideration when employing the lottery system for rotations?
Hi! Rotations were a concern of mine as well, but I got a lot of really encouraging information from Anna Cruz and talked to a 2nd year student - I'm an incoming student too so all of this information is coming from others.

Ms. Cruz said they do a mock lottery before you get your third year selection, so that you get a sense of who is applying where and can adjust your rank accordingly (some of the OOS sites only allow 2-5 students to rotate there). You can also write a letter for your number 1 choice, which is taken into consideration; half of the spots at locations are picked by the hospital, the other half are randomly selected by the lottery system.

We meet with someone in the clinical coordination office who discusses options with us and it sounds like they really work with students to get them somewhere that they'll be satisfied with. I've heard anything from 60-70 students rotate in central Iowa. Lastly, the thing that swayed me was that DMU has such strong Step 2 scores: even if you are in central Iowa, it seems like you must be learning good clinical skills to prepare you.

They also said you can schedule your own 3rd year rotations if you have a connection at another hospital and you want to take on that additional organizational piece!

• Love
Do most students start studying for boards after their first year?? That's earlier than I was expecting! Do you know when the mentorship research program application opens? Would you recommend reaching out to professors now, or are they unlikely to respond over the summer?

Thanks! I was looking at 3000 Grand - do you know if that’s a common place for students to live? Also, do most people find roommates in the program?
Lots of students live there! It's very convenient. If you're interested, get on their waitlist now, they had one back in April. Or find someone else with a unit there who's looking for a roommate (join the Facebook group to find potential roommates!). I don't know the percentage of students who live alone vs. with roommates, but I personally have a roommate. I know there are a handful looking for roommates!

Hey folks. Has anyone heard of where DMU is in processing financial aid requests? Waiting on that letter for an apartment is a nail-biter.

I just got an email asking if I was still interested in a seat. Anyone else get this email?