DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck iowadoc. When I interview they said there weren't a lot of Iowa residents that have interviewed. Granted, I interviewed 9/12 so it was pretty early, but hopefully that is a good thing for you. Let us know.

On another note, I was really hoping another batch of acceptances went out today. Hopefully tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Although some interviews are laid back, it really depends on who your interviewer is. Be ready for really tough questions & a lot of them just in case. ... I heard from a few people that they got grilled to see how they handle stress. I got grilled as well, but not to see how I can handle stress.

+1. Prior to the interview the student hosts told us that their interviews were really casual and conversational. Not so for me. The interviewers asked pointed questions about my educational background, clinical experience, and ability to handle the rigors of medical school. I'm hoping they were trying to gauge my stress tolerance skills.

Otherwise, the facilities were excellent. Everything is modern and was constructed recently. The simulation labs were very good. The lecture halls (big) and library were very nice. The students were friendly and spoke very highly of their experience at DMU. The financial aid presentation let us know how easy it would be to borrow an obscene amount of money.

DMU would be a great place to attend. Good luck to all.

I was surprised with a 4-1 interview, I had 2 students instead of one (I'm not sure why, no one mentioned it)...but it still wasn't extremely stressful..No tricky or crazy questions. Just figure out why DMU and why they should choose you. I really liked the school a lot (much more than I had anticipated) and Des Moines. I'm done interviewing and every single one went much better than I expected..so it really is true when people say relax!(but at the same time expect the unexpected! just keep your cool and be confident :D)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for everyone's insight into the interview. I had a similar thing happen to me at another interview.. everyone said it was laid back and it wasn't. I was really thrown off.. so I think it is good to be prepared for whatever!

Does anyone know the acceptance rate of those interviewed?

I am interviewing on Monday the 24th. Will anybody from here be there?

To those who have interviewed- Besides the "why DMU and why DO," any other questions I should prepare for? Any questions that weren't based on your file that threw you off? I interview Friday and am getting way nervous. Much appreciated!!!!!

To those who have interviewed- Besides the "why DMU and why DO," any other questions I should prepare for? Any questions that weren't based on your file that threw you off? I interview Friday and am getting way nervous. Much appreciated!!!!!

Like earlier posters already said, just be prepared to talk about your EC. They like to spend time reading it and getting to know you. In regards to why DO and why DMU, my committee didn't even ask me that question. I didn't get any ethical questions either because they said they didn't like reheasered respones.

But then again that could happen if your guy wants to see how do you in the "hotseat." Has anyone else had this problem?

On an unrelated note, I finally paid my deposit after sitting on it for a month. Ohh the frugal lifestyle...huzzah for ramen!:laugh:

You interview on the 21st. Where are you staying at? I have my interview that day as well. Im just looking for someone to chill with since i get to the hotel between 130 and 2pm or so.

+1. Prior to the interview the student hosts told us that their interviews were really casual and conversational. Not so for me. The interviewers asked pointed questions about my educational background, clinical experience, and ability to handle the rigors of medical school. I'm hoping they were trying to gauge my stress tolerance skills.

DMU would be a great place to attend. Good luck to all.

Hmm those questions seem pretty standard..then again did your committee appear uninviting? I remember I was at one where the guy was not receptive to my subtle humor at all. I was just waiting for him to hit me or something. =/

What don't you like about the medical field and how do you expect to deal with it?
How do you anticipate to stay sane throughout the insane curriculum?

Hmm those questions seem pretty standard..then again did your committee appear uninviting? I remember I was at one where the guy was not receptive to my subtle humor at all. I was just waiting for him to hit me or something. =/

Mine was very serious. I didn't even dare to joke.

Toytles?! Are you there? Did the anxiety kill you?!!?!? I hope the committee is meeting today, I just want to know!!!

What don't you like about the medical field and how do you expect to deal with it?
How do you anticipate to stay sane throughout the insane curriculum?

Mine was very serious. I didn't even dare to joke.

Don't worry!! I ended up with 4 interviewers! So expect the unexpected and just keep your cool and be confident (or at least pretend :D). I didn't have any weird questions, but the toughest one was at the end...we've interviewed a lot of people, tell us why you are different/why we should accept you, you have the floor..Try and relax as much as possible, and ask the students you're going to have lunch with about the people that will be interviewing you, I think that'll help you feel more at ease. I knew a little about the professors' personalities before I went in! Good luck :thumbup:

I can't wait for 3 weeks, ahhhh i want my decision now! It has only been..2 days.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the most agonizing part of the application but hang in there!

On a different note, another batch of acceptances should go out this afternoon based on the previous history.

Last edited:
This is the most agonizing part of the application but hang in there!

On a different note, another batch of acceptaces should go out this afternoon based on the previous history.

Gahhhh!!!!

congrats. did you just get the email? they usually go out around 5pm. Awesome if you did.

I got the email about an hour ago. I was sitting in my psychology class when the email showed up on my phone. It was a little difficult to concentrate in class after that :laugh:

Well I got the e-mail about a half an hour ago... Alternate List. Completely bummed right now. Interviewed 9/30

So I got out of my KCUMB interview about an hour ago. 10 minutes before my interview I heard a "bingg" from my phone. Checked email... and there was my acceptance! So I went to the restroom, put my banana suit on, and went to the interview.

banana-suit1.jpg

Just kidding. But ya, pretty excited. I'm just glad to have one under my belt... and DMU is a great one to have! Congrats to you SwissMiss :D

Sorry to hear about your alternate list dntke. I'm sure they'll accept you off of it!! At least it's not a rejection right? :)

So ya, I'm back at the hotel now. Got out a lot earlier than I thought from KCUMB, so I have the entire day to sit back and catch up on sleep.

I'm going to post in the KCUMB section now about the interview.

So I got out of my KCUMB interview about an hour ago. 10 minutes before my interview I heard a "bingg" from my phone. Checked email... and there was my acceptance! So I went to the restroom, put my banana suit on, and went to the interview.

banana-suit1.jpg

Just kidding. But ya, pretty excited. I'm just glad to have one under my belt... and DMU is a great one to have! Congrats to you SwissMiss :D

Sorry to hear about your alternate list dntke. I'm sure they'll accept you off of it!! At least it's not a rejection right? :)

So ya, I'm back at the hotel now. Got out a lot earlier than I thought from KCUMB, so I have the entire day to sit back and catch up on sleep.

congratulations! i know i asked u this already toytles but were ur stats again?

Just got the email, ACCEPTED!!!!!!:zip:

Big congrats to those who got accepted today!

Sorry for the alternate list, hopefully things will work out.

Last edited:
I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED!!!! :soexcited:

Congrats!

banana-suit1.jpg

Congrats! I was rooting for you :)

Well I got the e-mail about a half an hour ago... Alternate List. Completely bummed right now. Interviewed 9/30

Sorry to hear! But I will probably be withdrawing my acceptance soon because I got into my top choice. So I hope you get my spot! :luck:

Just got the email, ACCEPTED!!!!!!:zip:

Congrats!

Interviewed on 10/3. Still haven't heard anything yet :( Anyone from this date hear anything?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Im coming to interview Monday. I was wondering if you all think that I should rent a car, or if there are enough taxis to just use taxis. What do you think?

totally ecstatic for you toytles...:thumbup:

don't worry dntke..I got waitlisted here too, but got accepted at two other osteopathic schools and still waiting to hear from more... patience is key and best of luck to everyone.

Im coming to interview Monday. I was wondering if you all think that I should rent a car, or if there are enough taxis to just use taxis. What do you think?

where are you staying? if at either the holiday inn or the Q hotel, then just use shuttles. there's a free shuttle to and from the school, but I believe you have to pay (a reasonable price) for a different shuttle to and from the airport (didn't use this shuttle so I wouldn't know much about it, but plenty of others on this thread do...)

where are you staying? if at either the holiday inn or the Q hotel, then just use shuttles. there's a free shuttle to and from the school, but I believe you have to pay (a reasonable price) for a different shuttle to and from the airport (didn't use this shuttle so I wouldn't know much about it, but plenty of others on this thread do...)

I think you are talking about KCUMB and not DMU

How long was it before people got interview invites after their secondary was put in?

How long was it before people got interview invites after their secondary was put in?

It took a little over a month for me, patience is a virtue when it comes to DMU

Hey guys,

So my mom and I are already looking for a place for me in Des Moines. I have a couple quick questions regarding rotations and stuff:

1. If you have to leave Des Moines for rotations, is the apartment at the new location paid for by DMU/the hospital? Or do you have to actually move all your things yourself, go apartment hunting, and pay for one?

2. Because of #1, is it a bad idea to purchase a house (assuming you live by yourself)? Since, if you buy a house in des moines, but end up doing rotations in ohio (for example)... you'd have to make payments on the house AND the apartment in ohio?

3. I'm looking at apartments within walking distance from DMU... I was wondering if there are any recommended ones you guys know about? I've read good/bad things about the ones on Grand.

Also... couple more general questions:

1. Do you get to keep the laptop and ipod touch you get while being a student after you graduate? Not too concerned about this... just curious.

2. I remember hearing that there are no textbooks at DMU. Can anyone confirm this? I like the idea of saving a lot of money by not having to buy textbooks!

Sorry for all the questions... thanks in advance!

:D
Hey guys,

So my mom and I are already looking for a place for me in Des Moines. I have a couple quick questions regarding rotations and stuff:

1. If you have to leave Des Moines for rotations, is the apartment at the new location paid for by DMU/the hospital? Or do you have to actually move all your things yourself, go apartment hunting, and pay for one?

2. Because of #1, is it a bad idea to purchase a house (assuming you live by yourself)? Since, if you buy a house in des moines, but end up doing rotations in ohio (for example)... you'd have to make payments on the house AND the apartment in ohio?

3. I'm looking at apartments within walking distance from DMU... I was wondering if there are any recommended ones you guys know about? I've read good/bad things about the ones on Grand.

Also... couple more general questions:

1. Do you get to keep the laptop and ipod touch you get while being a student after you graduate? Not too concerned about this... just curious.

2. I remember hearing that there are no textbooks at DMU. Can anyone confirm this? I like the idea of saving a lot of money by not having to buy textbooks!

Sorry for all the questions... thanks in advance!

We do have some classes that require textbooks, but it's not really that bad. Biochem is nice because they give you a huge notepacket with all the info you will need. Other classes (like cell bio) require purchasing texts.

I'm pretty sure you get to keep the laptop. They made a comment at pickup that it's DMU property and they've signed them over to the students at graduation in the past, but they can't guarantee it will stay that way. I don't know why not, what would they do with a 4 yr old laptop? If I was a new student I'd be pretty upset to get an old used one. :smuggrin:, They may be changing from the ipod to something else though. Someone was trying to talk IT into ipads instead since we don't have a tablet anymore. I hope so since I already have an ipod touch in a box that I don't use.

You will have to arrange and pay for your own permanant housing on rotations, although someone mentioned that if you have to do a shorter rotation somewhere there may be temporary housing available. I've heard about 50% can stay in the Des Moines/central Iowa area.

Hope that helps. I really should be studying anatomy right now but I just can't bring myself to do it.

:D

We do have some classes that require textbooks, but it's not really that bad. Biochem is nice because they give you a huge notepacket with all the info you will need. Other classes (like cell bio) require purchasing texts.

I'm pretty sure you get to keep the laptop. They made a comment at pickup that it's DMU property and they've signed them over to the students at graduation in the past, but they can't guarantee it will stay that way. I don't know why not, what would they do with a 4 yr old laptop? If I was a new student I'd be pretty upset to get an old used one. :smuggrin:, They may be changing from the ipod to something else though. Someone was trying to talk IT into ipads instead since we don't have a tablet anymore. I hope so since I already have an ipod touch in a box that I don't use.

You will have to arrange and pay for your own permanant housing on rotations, although someone mentioned that if you have to do a shorter rotation somewhere there may be temporary housing available. I've heard about 50% can stay in the Des Moines/central Iowa area.

Hope that helps. I really should be studying anatomy right now but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Ah okay, thanks! That does help. So do you think it'll be silly to buy a house in des moines if there's a possibility it'll only be occupied for 2 years? My mom really wants to purchase a house there because of the money back, but it just doesn't make any sense. It is money down the drain, and a big headache when trying to sell the darn thing after only 2 years (assuming she even WANTS to sell it). Being in an apartment just seems much more reasonable.

I wouldn't buy a house even if you're guaranteed to stay for four years. You'll probably have to move for residency and it will still be a pain dealing with it then.

Ah okay, thanks! That does help. So do you think it'll be silly to buy a house in des moines if there's a possibility it'll only be occupied for 2 years? My mom really wants to purchase a house there because of the money back, but it just doesn't make any sense. It is money down the drain, and a big headache when trying to sell the darn thing after only 2 years (assuming she even WANTS to sell it). Being in an apartment just seems much more reasonable.

I'd be hesitant to buy a house for only 2 years, although there is a chance you could be here 4 yrs (or more if you wanted a residency here).

We owned before we moved here, and I kind of like just renting now. I really wouldn't want to worry about yard work, maintanance, etc while in med school. Plus it was kind of stressful worrying about selling when we had to move for med school. I wouldn't want that stress when/if we have to move for rotations or residency.
There would always be the option to rent it out if you have to move though.

My wife and I bought our house 7 years ago and would hate selling now. Des moines housing market isn't nearly as bad as elsewhere, but I wouldn't say it is good either. Don't buy.

I wouldn't buy a house even if you're guaranteed to stay for four years. You'll probably have to move for residency and it will still be a pain dealing with it then.

I'd be hesitant to buy a house for only 2 years, although there is a chance you could be here 4 yrs (or more if you wanted a residency here).

We owned before we moved here, and I kind of like just renting now. I really wouldn't want to worry about yard work, maintanance, etc while in med school. Plus it was kind of stressful worrying about selling when we had to move for med school. I wouldn't want that stress when/if we have to move for rotations or residency.
There would always be the option to rent it out if you have to move though.

My wife and I bought our house 7 years ago and would hate selling now. Des moines housing market isn't nearly as bad as elsewhere, but I wouldn't say it is good either. Don't buy.

Thanks for the tips guys! Yeah I'll have to convince my mom of this... it just doesn't make sense! All I'd like is a small studio apartment. I'm not the type of person to spread all my things out everywhere. I'd prefer everything to be close and well-kept.

I was researching some apartments in Des Moines for about $500-600 (studio/efficiency apartments). It looks like most of them supply water, gas, and trash removal utilities... which is great. This is my first time apartment hunting... so I'm making a list of everything I need in an apartment (bed, dresser, refrigerator, TV, study table, pots, pans, etc.). I was wondering if most apartments have a public laundry room, or would I need to get my own washer/dryer as well?

Most have public coin operated laundry. Another tip. It gets cold as balls in iowa and a lot of apartments come with electric baseboard heaters. With regards to the electrical bill, these heaters are insanely expensive, so if you can avoid them, do it. Our electric bill in our house is nowhere near the cost of these. It could save you hundreds.

Most have public coin operated laundry. Another tip. It gets cold as balls in iowa and a lot of apartments come with electric baseboard heaters. With regards to the electrical bill, these heaters are insanely expensive, so if you can avoid them, do it. Our electric bill in our house is nowhere near the cost of these. It could save you hundreds.

Oh good to know! Thanks for the tip!! I'll keep an eye out for this.

Received my acceptance this week, 24mcat and 3.6ish gpa. Don't give up hope if you have a low mcat! I had other strong points and was genuine in my interview, good luck to those applying. Turning down a few other acceptances to go here, its a great fit for me.

Received my acceptance this week, 24mcat and 3.6ish gpa. Don't give up hope if you have a low mcat! I had other strong points and was genuine in my interview, good luck to those applying. Turning down a few other acceptances to go here, its a great fit for me.

OMG OMG CONGRATS! u just made me happy. I have a 24 too and i have been freaking out that my chances for DMU are quite slim. but there is hope. i have a 24, 3.7 science, 3.76 overall and the rest of my app is solid. my app just got completed and am under review. DMU takes the best overall score on the MCAT, right?