DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many people have been accepted already?

Members don't see this ad.

^Same here. Is it considered "late" at DMU for their interview season?

Also, how long did it take before you received an interview invite once you received the complete e-mail? (According to that e-mail, it takes 60 days...but hoping for good news sooner). Thanks in advance!

^Same here. Is it considered "late" at DMU for their interview season?

Also, how long did it take before you received an interview invite once you received the complete e-mail? (According to that e-mail, it takes 60 days...but hoping for good news sooner). Thanks in advance!

It took ~30 days for them to invite me for an interview. I wouldn't say it is late at all. There were students I spoke with who did not interview until March and were still accepted for this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you know that I interviewed here yesterday. Excellent school for sure. The interview day was very nice. They definitely keep you busy and moving and talking. I was highly impressed with the simulation labs. The interview itself was very relaxing. More then half the time, we were joking around. No real hard question. They asked me about my person statement and my grades( in school and MCats). He asked why i didnt apply last year and i told him straight out my mcat score were too low but i did tell him how i prepared to increase my scores. Definitely good opportunities to explain myself. Strangest question asked was, if i could choose any other subject what would I choose. Overall, I felt really good and I hope to enter next years class. Only thing im afraid of is freezing my ass off in january because I live in Arizona...lol

anybody else interviewing this thursday?
I am getting in Wednesday afternoon if anyone wants to hang out..PM me

I just got in town at the days inn and am waiting for tomorrows interview. Is anybody else that is interviewing tomorrow here yet?

Received a complete email on Friday. I will do almost anything to get an interview here! This is my #1 school. I am currently living in California, but really want to get closer to my family who live in Minnesota...and the school is amazing!

anybody else interviewing this thursday?
I am getting in Wednesday afternoon if anyone wants to hang out..PM me

I'm interviewing this Thursday. I'm staying with my fiancee's friends and we're gonna go disc golfing! I get in on Wednesday around 1:30pm. Are you going to rent a car? I was going to but I decided to let them drive me around since they live close and interviews are getting pretty expensive!

I'm interviewing this Thursday. I'm staying with my fiancee's friends and we're gonna go disc golfing! I get in on Wednesday around 1:30pm. Are you going to rent a car? I was going to but I decided to let them drive me around since they live close and interviews are getting pretty expensive!
naw i was just gonna taxi it up...i felt thatd be cheaper than renting a car lol

naw i was just gonna taxi it up...i felt thatd be cheaper than renting a car lol

I guess it must depend on where you are cause when I was in Kansas City it would have cost me nearly $30 just from the airport to the school, and then back again another $30. It cost me about $70 for a rental car and since I was there all afternoon until my flight left I was able to tour the area a little before I left.

I guess it must depend on where you are cause when I was in Kansas City it would have cost me nearly $30 just from the airport to the school, and then back again another $30. It cost me about $70 for a rental car and since I was there all afternoon until my flight left I was able to tour the area a little before I left.

During the interview DMU gave us a sheet about elective courses. Does anyone know about how much much these extra courses cost and are they worth taking?

Just cancelled my interview for this Thursday and withdrew my application.. if anyone wants to reschedule for an earlier interview you should check it out..Good luck everyone:luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just paid my initial $500 seat deposit. Was going to pay the full thing but I'm still holding out for some texas interviews... even though I've lost hope for them. We'll see. :(

Quick question... it says that there's a Conditions of Enrollment form that I have to email/fax them? Where do I get this form?

Hoping to receive my portal information soon! :xf:

I think it was attached to your acceptance email. Basically a printout that you sign and send in. Dont remember exactly what it was but I think it is attached you the original acceptance email.

I think it was attached to your acceptance email. Basically a printout that you sign and send in. Dont remember exactly what it was but I think it is attached you the original acceptance email.

Ah you're right. I was looking right at it and didn't realize that it was referring to itself, haha.

Thanks.

Well..... getting ready to head off to SLC to fly to Des Moines! I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight...

I interviewed on 10/07. The past two weeks zoomed by but this week is crrrraaaawwwlllling. Maybe those who interviewed that week will hear back today if the email-at-5pm-on-Tuesday trend keeps up! Fingers crossed. I LOVED DMU!!

For anyone waiting to interview, mine was not super laid back but it was also not too grilling. I was asked about about five-seven questions, most relating to my application. One interesting question I received was "tell us about a time that you worked with someone difficult and how did you resolve the situation." Everything else was pretty standard. My interviewers were very nice and really wanted to get to know me as a person.

Best of luck to all those who have yet to interview and good luck to those who are waiting to hear back (like me)!! :luck:

EDIT: I got accepted!!!!!! I also interviewed on 10/07! Got the email at 2:58pm EST.

Last edited:
Got the e-mail about an hour ago. Accepted!!!!! Interviewed on 10/7.

Just got the acceptance e-mail...interviewed on 10/6! Loved this school. Was so pleasantly surprised and now it's one of my top choices.

Interviewed 10/3. Got Alternate Listed :( worse feeling ever

I thought for sure I blew my chances at this school when my cell phone rang in the middle of my grilling session of an interview but I guess not! ACCEPTED!!!

I just got back from my interview this morning. Awesome school!

However, my plane flight out of the Des Moines Airport (late night flight) had mechanical problems and never left (at least it didn't have those problems in the air, lol). So I ended up staying an extra night in Des Moines at the Best Western with a 12 dollar comp'd Bennigan's coupon.

Super tired now.....time to sleep.

:sleep:

I thought for sure I blew my chances at this school when my cell phone rang in the middle of my grilling session of an interview but I guess not! ACCEPTED!!!

omg...my jaw dropped when I read this. How did you recover? I would have wanted to be a recluse and live in a cave for the rest of my life haha.

waitlisted 9/27/2011

found out I didn't have enough clinical experience

waitlisted 9/27/2011

found out I didn't have enough clinical experience

Did you just email them and asked why you were wait listed? I found out today and I'd like to know as well.

Did you just email them and asked why you were wait listed? I found out today and I'd like to know as well.

I think they prefer to tell you over the phone, rather than through email. You can try emailing them first to ask though.

I think they prefer to tell you over the phone, rather than through email. You can try emailing them first to ask though.

Ok thanks. I'm severely bummed right now

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

submitted secondary 9/8
interview invite 10/25
havent scheduled interview yet
OOS- from virginia
24Q, 3.77overall

any words of advice/tips/suggestions?
do i have a chance with a 24Q?

thank you!

You may have to explain your lower MCAT score depending on what the breakdown was. Other than that, don't worry about it. Your GPA makes up for it.

submitted secondary 9/8
interview invite 10/25
OOS- from virginia
24Q, 3.77overall

thank you!
I agree with 'Iliketoytles'. I definitely had to explain my MCAT scores. I was asked why i didnt apply last year and i straight out told him my mcat scores were too low. It was a 14 on the first time in 2009. I retook it in March of this year and received a 26. I actually enjoyed being able to explain how i brought my scores up. 3.5 cgpa 3.7 sgpa. interviewed 10/21. This will be a long 3 weeks. :xf::xf::xf:

n my
I agree with the guy above me. I definitely had to explain my MCAT scores. I was asked why i didnt apply last year and i straight out told him my mcat scores were too low. It was a 14 on the first time in 2009. I retook it in March of this year and received a 26. I actually enjoyed being able to explain how i brought my scores up. 3.5 cgpa 3.7 sgpa. interviewed 10/21. This will be a long 3 weeks. :xf::xf::xf:

Hopefully they get back to us sooner than 3 weeks.

any word on scholarships yet?

Are these scholarships from DMU? At my interview the financial aid lady said that there were scholarships available through other routes (i.e. military, osteopathic societies). Does DMU offer scholarships to some individuals?

I agree with 'Iliketoytles'. I definitely had to explain my MCAT scores. I was asked why i didnt apply last year and i straight out told him my mcat scores were too low. It was a 14 on the first time in 2009. I retook it in March of this year and received a 26. I actually enjoyed being able to explain how i brought my scores up. 3.5 cgpa 3.7 sgpa. interviewed 10/21. This will be a long 3 weeks. :xf::xf::xf:

We have very similar stats. Same cGPA and sGPA... 27 MCAT.

I'm sure you'll get in. ;)

Are these scholarships from DMU? At my interview the financial aid lady said that there were scholarships available through other routes (i.e. military, osteopathic societies). Does DMU offer scholarships to some individuals?

yes there are a few. I believe like 5-8 ish. when I asked them about it you have to have 30+ mcat and 3.7+ GPA to be considered , if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
submitted secondary 9/8
interview invite 10/25
OOS- from virginia
24Q, 3.77overall

thank you!

I also agree with above posters, you certainly have a chance! Just be prepared to discuss your MCAT. I went into the interview with around a 3.45 C and S GPA and a 27 MCAT that I only took once. I was still asked this question. "Your MCAT and GPA are pretty average, how do you expect to succeed here a DMU if you are only an average student." So be warned that they will bring it up, explain your situation well and put a positive spin on it and you will be fine.

Good luck!

yes there are a few. I believe like 5-8 ish. when I asked them about it you have to have 30+ mcat and 3.7+ GPA to be considered , if I remember correctly.

I recall the financial aid lady saying that, you need to have a 30+ mcat and 3.7+ gpa to be automatically considered, everyone else has to apply for them

I recall the financial aid lady saying that, you need to have a 30+ mcat and 3.7+ gpa to be automatically considered, everyone else has to apply for them

from what I understand(I've asked them ) there is no application for these scholarships. those who meet the criteria are automatically considered.

Cancelled my interview, withdrew app, couldn't get the clinical experience letter. :scared:

from what I understand(I've asked them ) there is no application for these scholarships. those who meet the criteria are automatically considered.

in my financial aid presentation, the lady said, "all of you can do nothing more to qualify for school scholarships, and all will be considered." my acceptance stuff made me think that scholarship information would be available after the first of the year.

in my financial aid presentation, the lady said, "all of you can do nothing more to qualify for school scholarships, and all will be considered." my acceptance stuff made me think that scholarship information would be available after the first of the year.

Now I do remember. I think she kind of glossed over that information and said that there were scholarships that are mainly merit based. I took that to mean that they are awarded to people with the best stats, but who knows.

just checked into my hotel for my interview tomorrow! if anybody wants to grab a bite to eat and hang...maybe grab a drink pm me!