Do You Have Kids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do You Have Kids?

• Yes, multiple

Votes: 100 29.5%
  • Yes, one

Votes: 76 22.4%
  • Not yet, but planning to

Votes: 88 26.0%
  • No, not planning to

Votes: 45 13.3%
  • No, undecided

Votes: 30 8.8%

• Total voters
This. Lol

As I've mentioned, we have one, almost 3. We're probably about to start trying for #2, which will come about halfway through the first semester. Thankfully, we'll be living very near my wife's family.

This sounds great and all, except I have found that it is best to have a child AWAY from family. This may not be true for everyone, but I'll explain why I see it as true in most cases.

When you live close to family, their lives continue, they still have to go to work and whatever other functions. You see them a few hours here and there but receive little real help.

When you live far from family, you get both grandma's coming out to stay with you for a few days to a few weeks each and they put their whole lives on hold. This means mom gets naps and breaks and mom/mom-in-law does dishes and helps clean and all that good stuff.

This may not be your experience, but I will say this is how I've seen it work every time without fail for everyone I know that has had kids close to or far away from family! Something to think about.

Members don't see this ad.

I find this "I will not have kids" thing kind of puzzling. I work in the nursing homes and hospices as part of my rotation. It is sooo hard to take care of old people and it takes a lot of young people. If no one wants to have kids, who will take care of all of us, when we get old? We will get old, you know?

This sounds great and all, except I have found that it is best to have a child AWAY from family. This may not be true for everyone, but I'll explain why I see it as true in most cases.

When you live close to family, their lives continue, they still have to go to work and whatever other functions. You see them a few hours here and there but receive little real help.

When you live far from family, you get both grandma's coming out to stay with you for a few days to a few weeks each and they put their whole lives on hold. This means mom gets naps and breaks and mom/mom-in-law does dishes and helps clean and all that good stuff.

This may not be your experience, but I will say this is how I've seen it work every time without fail for everyone I know that has had kids close to or far away from family! Something to think about.

Hmm, this is a good point. I'm hoping its a little better than that for us. My brother in law is finishing up med school right now and the parents have been super supportive. They are planning on doing some serious helping out in every way but financially while we are in school. Plus, my wife's best friend is out there too. She's probably the best aunt our daughter has, and will undoubtedly be there helping out too.
Overall though, you are right to say that outside help can really only be counted on so much. The biggest advantage is that there are people nearby that my wife can go visit. They can't help but help watch kids when she shows up at home with the grand kids! Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I find this "I will not have kids" thing kind of puzzling. I work in the nursing homes and hospices as part of my rotation. It is sooo hard to take care of old people and it takes a lot of young people. If no one wants to have kids, who will take care of all of us, when we get old? We will get old, you know?
There isn't exactly a dearth of people having kids. ;)

Hmm, this is a good point. I'm hoping its a little better than that for us. My brother in law is finishing up med school right now and the parents have been super supportive. They are planning on doing some serious helping out in every way but financially while we are in school. Plus, my wife's best friend is out there too. She's probably the best aunt our daughter has, and will undoubtedly be there helping out too.
Overall though, you are right to say that outside help can really only be counted on so much. The biggest advantage is that there are people nearby that my wife can go visit. They can't help but help watch kids when she shows up at home with the grand kids! Lol

That is very fortunate and a huge blessing to have that support system. It seems to be more often the opposite of that. Good luck in OR man!

I have three kids. Two girls, 7 and 4. And a boy who turns 2 tomorrow.

I always wanted kids, but I thought that I'd be done with school before I had them...then my kids surprised me one by one and I took a lot of time off. I'm glad it happened this way though. By the time it will be possible for me to start medical school, all of my kids will be in school and I won't feel so guilty about not being there (for at least those 8 hours a day).

MS1 with a 20 month obraggingld boy and a girl on the way in April. Still well above average in the class. All the others in my class with children are also well above average

I was considering what it would be like to not be a parent, and honestly I thought how sad would that life be? Sure, we can't up and go to the movies anytime we want, and we don't get as much sleep as we used to, but life would be so....empty without our daughter.

I was considering what it would be like to not be a parent, and honestly I thought how sad would that life be? Sure, we can't up and go to the movies anytime we want, and we don't get as much sleep as we used to, but life would be so....empty without our daughter.

Yeah, I think back to when I was first in college without kids. I had all the time in the world and was free to do whatever I wanted but I was terribly bored and lonely. School and studying is much more tricky to schedule and life is more complicated but it feels way more purposeful no matter what I'm doing now that I have kids.

This isn't Children of Men. Barring a catastrophic event, someone will be there for you when you can't help yourself.

This isn't Children of Men. Barring a catastrophic event, someone will be there for you when you can't help yourself.

Yeah but don't count on me or my kids to care for you when you get old and senile. We don't even know you!
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
26 years old with no children yet, I plan to have kids in the future - but as of late I've honestly been going back and forth on whether or not I'd truly like to have them.

2 so far: 2 and1/2 year old boy and a 3 month old girl...lovely creatures...progeny...gosh...am so happy with what i got...and i find no disdain to pursue Med-school at the same time.
No one should fear having kids and pursuing their dreams...one would be surprised just how things work out easy in life with the best intentions.

Yeah but don't count on me or my kids to care for you when you get old and senile. We don't even know you!
:laugh:

Even if you get to be "old and senile," chances are good that your kids won't even be the ones caring for you. Primarily, anyway. Would you want to place that burden on them? That's what nursing homes are for. Paying for them on the other hand... hopefully people without kids will put some of the money they would have spent on children towards saving for such a scenario.

I have a 13 year old boy and a 2 month old boy. My wife plans on staying home during MS1 and MS2 because I want the kids to spend as much time as possible with at least one of their parents considering I'll be gone so much. We plan on having another one before I graduate but not sure which year will be best. Maybe near the end of MS3?? All I know is having a newborn is exhausting and if my wife were younger and more patient we wouldn't be having any more babies until residency is over!

Even if you get to be "old and senile," chances are good that your kids won't even be the ones caring for you. Primarily, anyway. Would you want to place that burden on them? That's what nursing homes are for. Paying for them on the other hand... hopefully people without kids will put some of the money they would have spent on children towards saving for such a scenario.

Well said. Not to mention in some cases the parents have to continue to take care of their dysfunctional adult children, or grandchildren if the parents aren't around, sadly i know some struggling with this. Life isn't perfect, and we are all right for making the choices we choose to make and the lives we choose to live and finding our own happiness wether its having children or being childfree.

I prefer dogs. They're more self-sufficient.

3 here: 10, 8, 4 (almost 5). It's a good time for me as the little one will be in kinder when I'm an MS1, so I can feel less guilty. ;) (I've been able to mostly stay home with them.)

On the population topic, I sometimes feel guilty having 3. The world's population doubled between 1960 and 2000. I believe growth rate is expected to decline in the next 50 years, but still, that's ridiculous.
I don't think people on this thread deciding not to have kids is going to be detrimental!

And while people are judging others for their decisions....
I think my kids are awesome. They are also exhausting. I didn't think I wanted kids until college, and I certainly didn't anticipate liking them enough to choose to have multiple and then stay home and be their primary caregiver. :) On the other hand, I think I would also have been just fine had I not had children. Life wouldn't be nearly as interesting (!), but it would also be less stressful (especially if you are someone who values lots of alone time, like me). To each his own.

On the population topic, I sometimes feel guilty having 3. The world's population doubled between 1960 and 2000. I believe growth rate is expected to decline in the next 50 years, but still, that's ridiculous.
I don't think people on this thread deciding not to have kids is going to be detrimental!

In a word, don't (feel guilty).

Take a quick look at cultural & ethnic groups whose population growth rate is below replacement, just at replacement, and those groups for whom it is above replacement.

I suspect you are bucking the trend within your given group, and in my mind that's a good thing. :)

In a word, don't (feel guilty).

Take a quick look at cultural & ethnic groups whose population growth rate is below replacement, just at replacement, and those groups for whom it is above replacement.

I suspect you are bucking the trend within your given group, and in my mind that's a good thing. :)

:thumbup:

I have 4 kids. 1 boy and 3 girls. The boy is 3, the girls are 5, and 2 months old twins. They are the best thing that happened to me in my life.:love:

I have 4 kids. 1 boy and 3 girls. The boy is 3, the girls are 5, and 2 months old twins. They are the best thing that happened to me in my life.:love:

You did that the right way. :thumbup: I really wanted 4, but I didn't have the energy to keep going. Twins instead of one #3 would have been a perfect surprise! :laugh:

You did that the right way. :thumbup: I really wanted 4, but I didn't have the energy to keep going. Twins instead of one #3 would have been a perfect surprise! :laugh:

Indeed. It was the perfect surprise for us. But you are right, they drain your batteries quick :)

I would not have biological kids for anything, but may adopt once I see how my life really settles out (residency, etc.). I would much rather regret not having kids than regret having them - if I turned out to be a sucky parent that'd affect more than just myself.

I would not have biological kids for anything, but may adopt once I see how my life really settles out (residency, etc.). I would much rather regret not having kids than regret having them - if I turned out to be a sucky parent that'd affect more than just myself.

You do your best, and then, after having done all to do your best as a parent, you ultimately have to leave the rest up to them. Adjusting to that part of the fear factor has been the hardest thing for me. Never realized it would be so hard to watch them make their own mistakes; but that is how it usually has to play out. You hope what you have given them kicks in at some point, but they have to know that you are leaving it on them at a certain point.

I've been a parent a long time, b/c I started young. And now I can see both sides of the "To have or not to have" dilemma. It's a totally individual thing, and you are right. You can end up with regrets either way--having chosen not to have them, or having had them.
But usually the latter isn't necessarily as hard as the former. With the latter, well, you've done it, and you find that all most kids need to grow is the same stuff we all need to grow--that is, besides love, it's is grace, truth, and time. The hard thing with the former is well, you never got to know of the experience, period.

I think of it as the ole Forrest Gump cliche: It's like life. A box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. So you make the best out of the box that's given to you.

And of course, once you have children, you can from that point on, never imagine your life without them.
In my work, the hardest thing for me has been seeing parents that have had to face that reality--the reality of losing their children after fighting long and hard to keep them. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to articulate the affect of such experiences. . .only that I would never want to experience first hand what they have had to experience. Losing my father was anguishing enough.

Last edited:
And now I can see both sides of the "To have or not to have" dilemma. It's a totally individual thing, and you are right. You can end up with regrets either way--having chosen not to have them, or having had them.
But usually the latter isn't necessarily as hard as the former.

I feel like you're being a little self-contradictory here - hope I'm just misreading something. You say you can see both sides, then assert that 'usually' it's harder to regret not having kids. I have no doubt you're right for yourself, and good on you for having that insight, but you really can't know what beliefs, values, and experiences shape my feelings on this topic. I should also restate that my absolute objection is to biokids - Adoption is by no means off the table.

I am supportive of your choice to have kids; can you support me in the opposite?

I feel like you're being a little self-contradictory here - hope I'm just misreading something. You say you can see both sides, then assert that 'usually' it's harder to regret not having kids. I have no doubt you're right for yourself, and good on you for having that insight, but you really can't know what beliefs, values, and experiences shape my feelings on this topic. I should also restate that my absolute objection is to biokids - Adoption is by no means off the table.

I am supportive of your choice to have kids; can you support me in the opposite?

Yes, understood.

What I meant was an academic point in that once the opportuntiy passes for having kids, well, you usually can't get it back. That's the down side I'm referring to. I don't see, at least in most cases of raising a family (that is, with most people), that people regret having children to the same degree as most would by not having them; b/c it's tough to regret, in most cases, having had and built those relationships.

In the opportunity passed scenario, you just will never know what you have passed over. And except in the most extreme cases, like if you birthed and raised say a Bundy or someone like that, well, you probably won't regret the experience, even though at many points throughout the process it can be fraught with a lot of stress.

Having children or adopting them, either way, it's a lot of stress. Although building relationships can be stressful, in most cases, the benefit of having them outweighs the negatives. I mean if this were not so, people would have stopped having kids a long time ago. Most people want the opportunity to build these relationships. It's biological as well as psychological and spiritual.

But I respect that each person's situation is different. Some people never want to marry or be concerned with having a significant other around, much less raising children. It's a matter of focus for them. I get that. If they feel that they have accomplished more in their lives by not being pulled into the demanding and varying directions of having a SO and/or having children, then that is fine for them.

There's no way I could make that determination for another person. Having said that, philosophically I personally feel that once human life is here, you have to cherish and protect it, or else find someone that will. Adoption, then to me, is a very beautiful process and worthwhile commitment--although like anything else, it can be demanding. I don't think there is any getting around the fact that parenting is stressful, and just when you think you have gotten through one phase, another demanding phase of it enters into your life. LOL, of course, my children, though wonderful, have always been the more strong-will types. Some of them more so than others. You really have little control of this--in terms of their dispositions and personalities in my opinion. You go into it thinking that you will shape them--and to some degree it's true, but it's a lot less than many non-parents realize. They have wills and bents all their own, and well, love means guidance, but it also means freedom. The challenges in parenting have been ongoing, and there can be only short periods where you feel you can come up for air and get a breath. Some folks say nah; but I really think a good piece of it has to do with innate personalities. Some children are simply more strong-willed than others. And then there are kids that are so laid back, you wonder what in the world is going on with them. On the whole I don't find the experience of parenting easy or some piece of cake. I found it to require a ton of work, patience, growth, commitment, and dedication--and the need to find humor when possible. I definitely think raising children changes you for the better, in that you must learn patiences, understanding, and flexibility. What works for one kid doesn't work for another.

How the kid gets here, well, those of us who have delivered children have our war stories; and they seem like a big deal at the time. But the pregnancy and birthing process really is not the big deal. It's everything that comes after that. So, to me, parenting is parenting, regardless of whether or not you physically delivered the child. That's only a prelude to the whole saga.

I wish you the best in whatever you choose.

Having children or adopting them, either way, it's a lot of stress. Although building relationships can be stressful, in most cases, the benefit of having them outweighs the negatives. I mean if this were not so, people would have stopped having kids a long time ago. Most people want the opportunity to build these relationships. It's biological as well as psychological and spiritual.

I'm not arguing any point here. As I stated earlier, I am glad I had little rugrats, but I could also see myself happy alone. :)

Anyway....This section of your discussion reminded me of something I read relating to people being happy as parents. The point of it was that it's natural not to feel enamored by your children and to wish sometimes that you didn't even have any. (I can remember vividly calling my mother in law when my first child was near a year old and into his first really stubborn stage. I was crying and telling her that I didn't think I liked him anymore. What if I never did again? Her advice, hand him off and then check on him when he's asleep. :laugh:)

Back to the article. It was stated that, evolutionarily, people had kids to help hunt/farm/etc. They didn't just hang out in their free time, bonding with the children, as we do. Only in modern times have people decided to have children as an expression of love and to create a relationship with them. It turns out we aren't really wired to just adore them for who they are, and to learn from them, etc...all the things we expect of ourselves. For this reason, I don't think the bolded statement is necessarily true. I believe it's only somewhat recently that people are really starting to examine their reasons for having kids, and it seems to be very recently that deciding no has been an "acceptable" choice..

I'm not arguing any point here. As I stated earlier, I am glad I had little rugrats, but I could also see myself happy alone. :)

Anyway....This section of your discussion reminded me of something I read relating to people being happy as parents. The point of it was that it's natural not to feel enamored by your children and to wish sometimes that you didn't even have any. (I can remember vividly calling my mother in law when my first child was near a year old and into his first really stubborn stage. I was crying and telling her that I didn't think I liked him anymore. What if I never did again? Her advice, hand him off and then check on him when he's asleep. :laugh:)

Back to the article. It was stated that, evolutionarily, people had kids to help hunt/farm/etc. They didn't just hang out in their free time, bonding with the children, as we do. Only in modern times have people decided to have children as an expression of love and to create a relationship with them. It turns out we aren't really wired to just adore them for who they are, and to learn from them, etc...all the things we expect of ourselves. For this reason, I don't think the bolded statement is necessarily true. I believe it's only somewhat recently that people are really starting to examine their reasons for having kids, and it seems to be very recently that deciding no has been an "acceptable" choice..

OK, I somewhat disagree. Look at the history of the Hebrew people. Children didn't just help to move the agrarian society forward, they were told to value them and teach them always when the walked, sat down, everywhere they went. These people were the consummate homeschool teachers, if they did the job right--according to how it was shared with them to do so. People have always wanted kids for relationship sake, and to expand community relationship.

I have two, an almost six year old and a three year old

2 boys here. One boy 18mo and one on the way due in april. Will miss a couple of units in my MS1 but i can make it up for it later. Gotta say, i'm not well above average in my class, perhaps right about average in some... at least i'm not failing any classes. oh well, i do think they're worth it though. Had doubts but went ahead with the plan anyway. Sometimes I regrets not having this summer to do some cool electives, but that's just life. Currently i'm satisfied and happy. :)

Update: So I decided to have another kid in MS4. Now end up with 2 boys and a girl. Very happy. This should be enough for me. I'm not getting my tubes tied though. My husband will do the honor and get his tubes tied. ;-)

Last edited:
No kids yet but hoping to have the first around the time I get accepted to or enter medical school. We're hoping my wife won't need to work so she can focus on raising the kids (with my help and an adequate support network, of course), but we'll have to figure out where the money is coming from. Busy times ahead!

I don't have kids - undecided for the future. As a single female pre-med student age 36 .. I am ok with making this dream come true instead of having a family. I helped raise my twin sisters daughter (now 19 years old) and so I don't feel that I missed that experience. I want to be a doctor more than I want to be a mother. I am also ok with adopting older children when the time is right in my career.

I have a 5 year old daughter who will be spending ample times "studying" with me. :D

11 month old girl. is it normal that one can feel like multiple? maybe because im still a rookie :nod:

2 boys here. One boy 18mo and one on the way due in april. Will miss a couple of units in my MS1 but i can make it up for it later. Gotta say, i'm not well above average in my class, perhaps right about average in some... at least i'm not failing any classes. oh well, i do think they're worth it though. Had doubts but went ahead with the plan anyway. Sometimes I regrets not having this summer to do some cool electives, but that's just life. Currently i'm satisfied and happy. :)

I am a female and MS4 with one kid. There were times when I felt like postposing a year but managed to get through. Never hired extra help for housecleaning/nannies and saved a lot of money. You will do fine. Life is more than what we want as individuals.

One girl in 3rd grade, she has been the greatest joy, something I could never have imagined before.
For now, she is about the only thing that keeps me sane.

I'm bumping an old thread because I want to connect with other med parents. I have an 8 year old and am applying this cycle to enter fall '14!

Lol. I didn't really think of this as that old of a thread. Good luck with upcoming apps!!

Two boys. 11 and 5.

Actually, the question brings up quite a story. My wife got pregnant in her senior year of high school. She graduated in June and had our first child in August 2001. She always wanted to be a physician, but as you can imagine becoming pregnant in high school complicates things. However, she wasn't deterred. She took a semester off, and started undergrad in the spring semester.

As to not get to far off track, we'll skip forward to 2007. She was a year out of undergrad and had taken the MCAT twice. The first MCAT was sabotaged by her aunt and her grandfather passing away just before she was scheduled to take the test. Therefore, she put off applying until 2007. As she was getting her applications ready, she decided, and I hesitantly agreed, that we should have another kid before she started school.

We had a April Fool's baby in 2008, and she was starting medical school four months later.

Now she is a resident, and her silly husband (me) wants to go through the torture she just spent the last four years going through.

Sorry if that was to far off topic, but I'm very proud of her. The statistic's reference teenage mother's getting a bachelor's degree is incredibly low (something like 1.5%), so to have an MD is quite impressive. Hopefully I'll be able to pull it off as well.

Sorry if that was to far off topic, but I'm very proud of her. The statistic's reference teenage mother's getting a bachelor's degree is incredibly low (something like 1.5%), so to have an MD is quite impressive. Hopefully I'll be able to pull it off as well

You should be proud of her (and yourself - it's a lot of work being a spouse of someone in medical school, I'm sure). Good luck you in your pursuits also!!

I have a lil' girl who just turned 11 ( give or take 10 years depending on the day)

My Journey: http://andsoitbeginsnywood.blogspot.com/

BS Information Systems 2004
1st MCAT 2007
1st Med App attempt

BS BIO 2014 (I think)
2nd MCAT 2013 (I hope)
2nd Med App attempt 2014 (I pray)

I love children but don't want any of my own. At my age (41), I doubt that I have the patience for my own children at this stage of the game.