Do You Have Kids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do You Have Kids?

• Yes, multiple

Votes: 100 29.5%
  • Yes, one

Votes: 76 22.4%
  • Not yet, but planning to

Votes: 88 26.0%
  • No, not planning to

Votes: 45 13.3%
  • No, undecided

Votes: 30 8.8%

• Total voters
Lol. I didn't really think of this as that old of a thread. Good luck with upcoming apps!!

It totally is not an old thread, somehow when I commented I only saw the first page so it looked way older.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
No kids at the moment. My S.O. and I keep going back and forth from the "We want kids NOW!" to the "Are we actually ever going to be ready for this?" ends of the spectrum.

:laugh: This describes me perfectly.

Yes, one kid.

And no, no more kids. Ever.

Haha. This is how I, most of the time, feel, but my wife still thinks that we need another one. I agree with her that it is fun to have a large family, especially when we get old and become lonely. Having two kids most likely means that you'll have 3-5 grandchildren. That what makes me sometimes lean toward the idea of wanting one more kid. On the other hand, having to worry about one more child to raise with the utmost quality of upbringing is far from feasible given out current economic and professional situation. Although I'm a firm believer of quality>>>>quantity, the idea of having more kids is still appealing to me.

One (about to be) three year old girl. I either want five more, or no more at all, depending on the day of the week :rolleyes:

Oh gee, so sorry for your loss. Life really throws us some heavy curveballs sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two stepdaughters. The oldest was 5 when I met them, the youngest 20 months.

My wife and I lost a baby at 26 weeks last summer. He would have been 7 months old now if he had survived. I miss him terribly.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my son in 2011. He was 2 and would have been 4 years old by now.
The pain never really goes away, but I have found that I have accepted my loss, but still have waves of sadness off and on. I have discovered positive ways to deal with my grief.
I wish you the best!

I don't have kids and got my vasectomy last year to seal the deal. I enjoy working with children but the above posts about losing one's child rip my heart out and help me realize that it was the right decision for me. Also makes it hard to believe in a "compassionate" deity...

I saw that a few people suggest having a kid before med school compared to during the first few years...

Does this apply to people just getting started on applying? I plan to apply next cycle. I'm turning 29 in a month and I know I want 2 kids, but I don't want to sabotage my chances of getting accepted next cycle. I am planning to write the MCAT around March/April 2014 and apply in June 2014.

My wife is an MD. She wanted to have our 2nd son before she started school. However, she also planned it so she wouldn't be showing during interview time. It was a fine line of planning that worked out well. I don't know any of her female classmates that had a child during med school. I think a few of the male students' wives had kids. I can't remember what the back-up plan would have been, but I think it was deliver the summer before third year.

So sorry to hear about your losses Brownbaglunch and NC Oldie. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be in either of your shoes.

Last edited:
My very first post on SDN.....Yes I have 4 kids: 2 sons (20, 15) and 2 daughters (10, 7). I start med school in less than a month so it should be an interesting ride.

I have a 6 month old son. He was born at the end of my M2 year. We planned it to be before M3 and he just made the deadline (we were going to stop trying the next month). I want 2 more, but I need them spread well apart (4-5 years) because daycare costs are brutal!

I have 2. My son is 7 months and my daughter is 3 years.

Your daughters are the same age mine will be when I start (provided I am accepted somewhere). I'd love to hear more of your story.

Sorry haven't been on SDN in awhile and just saw your post. My story is long and probably boring:) Always wanted to be a doctor but got married at 18, first child at 19 ...dropped out of college to support my family. Divorced and later remarried my soulmate. 17 blissful years and 4 kids later its finally the "right" time to pursue my dream. I'm 39 and just found out that less than 1% of med students matriculate at 40 and older. Don't know how I feel about that but only 4 more days until school starts so I'll soon be a member of the elite older bunch!!

One kid - 4 week old girl. She is a 24 hour party machine.

Two little girls, soon to be three years and the baby is 10 months. They are wonderful.