Does UC Davis mostly invite NorCal residents to secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinjames0

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a quick question. I went to elementary school in Rancho Cordova (in Sacramento County) before moving to SoCal for middle school, but I didn’t indicate any tie to NorCal in my primary app because secondary app question asks about the applicant’s tie to NorCal. I didn’t think I needed to repeat myself on my app. But now I am worried because most applicants who were invited to secondaries in SDN’s prior year school-specific subforum were NorCal residents. Is it recommended that applicants indicate their ties to NorCal in their primary app?

Members don't see this ad.

Your primary goes to all schools and I am unsure where you could have included this rather minor detail. UCD screens for secondaries, but does send some to students from Southern California.

Reactions: 1 user
Your primary goes to all schools and I am unsure where you could have included this rather minor detail. UCD screens for secondaries, but does send some to students from Southern California.
Thank you for your response. I was under the same impression when I was reviewing my primary app before submitting. Would you say it is a good idea to reach out to UCS adcom and inform them of my NorCal ties since UCD strongly prefers applicants with ties to NorCal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response. I was under the same impression when I was reviewing my primary app before submitting. Would you say it is a good idea to reach out to UCS adcom and inform them of my NorCal ties since UCD strongly prefers applicants with ties to NorCal?
You should have reached out to them to see how best you can disclose your previous history living in Northern California in your application, especially in any secondary essay prompts, so you can begin/could have begun pre-writing.

You should have reached out to them to see how best you can disclose your previous history living in Northern California in your application, especially in any secondary essay prompts, so you can begin/could have begun pre-writing.
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately for me, I already submitted my primary app on 5/31 and therefore missed my chance to discuss with the UCD adcom on how best I can disclose my ties to NorCal in my primary app. On the other hand, I know that they’ll ask me about my ties to NorCal in their secondary if I get the invitation. Should I still reach out to UCD and ask (does better late than never still apply in my case?)?

Just wait to see how the cards land at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
SoCal here. It's been 5 years and I'm still waiting...

So cal res, I am a reapplicant (3rd times the charm), and I got one on my first app cycle but not my second attempt (which was weird). I will see what I get this time