Drexel University College of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah, March 28th. I think they schedule it during IFM Year 1's spring break so they can more easily convince you all to join PIL. :laugh:

You guys have different breaks too? wow

Members don't see this ad.

You guys have different breaks too? wow

Yep. For example, PIL 1 had their spring break already but ours isn't until the 28th. We're done on May 29th, but PIL 1 goes until June 19th. Second year is similar, but after that we drop the IFM/PIL distinction and everyone's on the same schedule.

Seems like the two programs are pretty separated. Is there a little rivalry there? or do you get along/get a chance to interact. I mean you are all part of the same class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I'd put this out there again: if anyone is moving into Alden Park if you use me as a reference I'll split my commission with you! (We get $200 each)

Seems like the two programs are pretty separated. Is there a little rivalry there? or do you get along/get a chance to interact. I mean you are all part of the same class.

Honestly, they are very separated. I rarely ever see PIL students during the week.

I would say that the only "rivalry" is a joking one. I sometimes shake my fist and say "PIIIIIIIL!" if there are crumbs on the seat where I sit in the auditorium, or if the there aren't any paper towels in the restroom, but that's the extent of it.

It's not impossible to have friends in the other curriculum, you just might not see them very often when you're on campus.

I got into PIL!! Got a snail mail today! anyone else doing PIL?

I also just got the PIL acceptance in the mail today.

I also just got the PIL acceptance in the mail today.

Um..now that i look closely, mine was mailed out on the 28th of Feb, but I had spring break all last week and I guess I didn't check the mail the week before...sigh

Hey Guys or Gals,
I'm a second year medical student at Ohio State coming to Drexel from May 7th-27th and am looking for a place to stay. I'm taking Kaplans Intense Prep for USMLE Step 1 course. If anyone has a sublet for the month of May or has an extra room in a house they'd be willing to let me rent out for the month I'd appreciate it. I'm male but I would be willing to stay with a male or a female. Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm really excited about drexel next year. Who wouldn't want to be a dragon. We finally have a facebook group up and running under the same name we have here.

Hey Everyone! I was just accepted to Drexel a couple weeks ago and I'm really excited. I was wondering, if I live in East Falls will I need to have a car for the first year or can I get by using only public transportation? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's helpful unless you live right across from the school. I'm sure you can get by with public transportation, especially since there is the drexel shuttle from east falls to hahnemann. But you should probably talk to someone who's been there. Are you all looking for housing already?

Hey Everyone! I was just accepted to Drexel a couple weeks ago and I'm really excited. I was wondering, if I live in East Falls will I need to have a car for the first year or can I get by using only public transportation? Thanks!

I think it's helpful unless you live right across from the school. I'm sure you can get by with public transportation, especially since there is the drexel shuttle from east falls to hahnemann. But you should probably talk to someone who's been there. Are you all looking for housing already?

Not everyone has cars, but I would say that most people do. If you live in the general vicinity of campus, you can make do, but there aren't any local grocery stores in East Falls, so shopping may be an issue. About 7 or 8 times during your first year, you'll be going to either Hahnemann or Abington to interview patients. Most people are assigned to Hahnemann and there's a special bus that takes you there (you have to take the shuttle back), but there's no transportation provided to Abington. People carpool, so again, you don't absolutely have to have a car. You'll also be doing some geriatric visiting a few times during your first year, and you need to have your own transportation (but you have a partner).

You can definitely utilize public transportation, and I know plenty of people who do. There are a number of bus routes that come close to campus, and the Queen Lane station is right on the corner.

Congrats on those who have received an acceptance. My wife and I have decided to move and will have a sublet available from April 1st-July 31st. It's located at the north end of manayunk. If you want a place for a couple months, let us know.

It's a two bedroom in a community just built in 2005 so everything is clean and brand new. We share it with a 23 year old UPenn Hospital O.R. nurse. It's a good way to get to know the place and relax and have a little fun before locking yourself into a 12 month lease.

Rent is $1500.. Our half is $750 but we're willing to subsidize it down to a negotiable level. If you want pics, let me know. Unfurnished bedroom suite (includes private walk in closet and bathroom).

Is June or July the better month for apartment hunting?

Is June or July the better month for apartment hunting?

I would vote for June, if it were me. By the time July rolls around, a lot of the apartments that are "available," won't actually be available for a month or so. Sometimes people aren't moving out right away, sometimes they clean/update apartments between tenants, etc.

I know some folks at Drexel who didn't go apartment hunting until July, and although they were able to get apartments relatively easily, they weren't available for move-in until mid to late August.

What do you current Drexel students recommend regarding laptops? PC or Mac? I've always taken notes on handouts but am thinking about making the switch to laptop notetaking so I can save my notes after graduation.

I am leaning towards getting a mid level 13" Dell to take to class and also a 19"-22" LCD monitor for my desk at home. I am hoping to be in PIL so I would think a portable laptop would be more important than a really powerful one. I was also wondering if you thought a netbook would be sufficient? They are pretty tempting being so small and cheap. . .

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hello,

Congrats to everyone who have received acceptances so far!

I am putting a feeler out to ask if anyone is potentially looking for a roommate in the East Falls area?

I am a 26 year old female. I am originally from northern NJ and worked in non-profit for 4 years. I am ethnically Chinese and like to cook. I am pet-friendly but don't have any pets of my own. I don't smoke. I live a pretty drama-free life... or try to at least.

If anyone on this list if looking for a roommate or is subletting their apartment/room, please feel free to message. Thanks!

Enjoy the weekend.

Karen

What do you current Drexel students recommend regarding laptops? PC or Mac? I've always taken notes on handouts but am thinking about making the switch to laptop notetaking so I can save my notes after graduation.

I am leaning towards getting a mid level 13" Dell to take to class and also a 19"-22" LCD monitor for my desk at home. I am hoping to be in PIL so I would think a portable laptop would be more important than a really powerful one. I was also wondering if you thought a netbook would be sufficient? They are pretty tempting being so small and cheap. . .

Thoughts?

There's a mix of both PCs and Macs on campus. Either one will work just fine. I know that some Mac users have difficulties adjusting the speed on the recorded lectures (a lot of people like to watch them at 2x speed to save time), but that's the only potential drawback I can think of.

I think a netbook would work, if you want to go the ultra-portable route. Pretty much everything at Drexel is web-based, so you should be alright.

Hi everyone!
Has anyone figured out where they are living next year?
Current students - any suggestions?

Hi everyone!
Has anyone figured out where they are living next year?
Current students - any suggestions?

Well you've got options. Do you want the convenience of East Falls? The nightlife/entertainment of Manayunk/Center City? A house? An apartment? A single room?

I will be visiting Philadelphia sometime in May to go apartment hunting. Any suggestions on things to do? I will have 2 days to look around.

I will be visiting Philadelphia sometime in May to go apartment hunting. Any suggestions on things to do? I will have 2 days to look around.

Hmm...two days. That's just about enough time to get a cheesteak at Jim's if you want. You'll have to get in line right away, though.

hey saqrfaraj!
what does the white coat ceremony consist of/how imporant is it? my cousin is getting married in chicago on the day of the ceremony, and i dont know what to do. as much as i would like to go to the white coat ceremony, i'm really close with my family and can't imagine missing my cousin get married. my parents say that i can choose what i want to do, but they really want me to miss the wedding, and one of them would go to the wedding while one came to see me in the ceremony.
what should i do??

hey saqrfaraj!
what does the white coat ceremony consist of/how imporant is it? my cousin is getting married in chicago on the day of the ceremony, and i dont know what to do. as much as i would like to go to the white coat ceremony, i'm really close with my family and can't imagine missing my cousin get married. my parents say that i can choose what i want to do, but they really want me to miss the wedding, and one of them would go to the wedding while one came to see me in the ceremony.
what should i do??

The white coat ceremony is sort of an initiation into medical school. It doesn't have any real purpose besides formally marking the start of your path to becoming a physician.

Here's what happens: you enter the room in a procession with your fellow first years followed by a number of physicians all wearing their white coats. Then you sit for a bit and listen to some speakers (Dean of the College of Medicine, etc.). Then there's a keynote speaker. Afterwards, row by row you walk up on stage and stand in front of a line of physicians. You hand your white coat to the one standing behind you and they put it on you and you shake their hand. Everyone claps and this repeats until everyone's been up. You then recite a little something and then there's a reception.

It's really up to you whether you think it's worthwhile or not. I would say that the vast majority of people (if not all) were in attendance. It's fun for your family to see you taking this big step, and most people had friends and family in attendance.

I can't really tell you what you should do. If you choose to skip it, you can always purchase the DVD of the ceremony afterwards if you want to see it. You won't be in it, though. :D

hey saqrfaraj!
what should i do??

scrpl,
how do u know what day it is. has drexel released their calender for next year. thanks

scrpl,
how do u know what day it is. has drexel released their calender for next year. thanks

i was afraid the wedding was going to be during orientation or ceremony so i emailed drexel and they told me

Hi Future Classmates!!!

I got into Drexel on March 16, ONE DAY before my birthday. BEST BIRTHDAY present ever.

Does anyone know when is the 1st day of orientation? I am planning to live in center city? How far is that from the shuttle stop?

-Gul

Hi Future Classmates!!!

I got into Drexel on March 16, ONE DAY before my birthday. BEST BIRTHDAY present ever.

Does anyone know when is the 1st day of orientation? I am planning to live in center city? How far is that from the shuttle stop?

-Gul

The shuttle stop is at 1425 Vine St. It's across the street from Hahnemann.

How do we set up an email account at Drexel? I can't remember...lol

How do we set up an email account at Drexel? I can't remember...lol

You all might find the orientation website useful for answering all of your questions about preparing for Drexel. I don't know if the page for the class of 2013 is up yet, but here's ours for the class of 2012: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/osa/orientation/2012/

The specifics about dates, etc. won't be exactly the same, but it has a lot of good info.

Also, to answer your question: http://www.drexel.edu/computeraccounts

I'll be starting at DUCOM next year in the IFM curriculum. Just a quick question. Is the white coat ceremony the same for both PIL and IFM students? And approx. how long does it last? Thanks so much!

I'll be starting at DUCOM next year in the IFM curriculum. Just a quick question. Is the white coat ceremony the same for both PIL and IFM students? And approx. how long does it last? Thanks so much!

It's the same for everyone. I seem to remember it lasting about and hour followed by the reception at which you can mingle for a long time or very briefly.

I cant wait for this orientation/white coat info to come out so I can plan when to fly over! They seem to be slow this year...

IF you want to see what the white coat ceremony is like here's pics from last year:
http://www.tvphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/5682596_J6Zh3

Is our email address @drexelmed.edu (like many profs) or @drexel.edu

Hi Future Classmates!!!

-Gul

Gul,

I have lived in Center City for a year now, and I love it down here. When I start Drexel Med in the fall, I will still be staying here in Center City because I love the area so much. To get to the med school at Queen Lane, the easiest way by far is to take the shuttle from Hahnemann hospital at the corner of Broad and Vine streets. You can also take the train (not the subway), but the shuttle is free and very reliable.

Right now I live on Pine close to broad, and it takes me about 15 minutes to walk to the shuttle. So you want to consider the time that it will take to get there, plus up to 30 minutes on the shuttle (leaving on the hour and half hour).

If you are doing a search, you might want to look in the area called "art museum". This is a nice neighborhood a little north and to the west. It is not technically "center city", but is close to it, and closer to the shuttle than some of the other areas of center city. To keep it within a reasonable walk, Google's directions feature will give a walking time, and it is pretty accurate.

And I keep referring to walking because parking is hard to come by and/or very expensive in center city. But parking is easy at Queen Lane, so it is possible to drive if that is your plan.

Here are some suggestions that are very close to the shuttle: The Packard, The Lofts at Logan View, The Metropolitan, One Franklin Town (my personal choice for next year). These are all pretty nice, marketed as "luxury" apts, and within 5 min of the shuttle. But they are highrises. If you are looking for something with more character you are best off on craigs list.

Sorry this got kind of long, but if anyone has any questions about the areas/pricing in the city/anything , feel free to message me. :).

-dd

For those of you considering living in Center City and taking the shuttle, be aware that it only runs on weekdays and the last shuttle leaves Queen Lane at 10:00pm. So if you need to get to campus on weekends or later in the evening on weekdays, you'll need alternate modes of transportation.

Hey guys,

I will be going to Drexel this fall. I'm from California and have never lived on the East Coast, so I haven't the slightest idea on how to move across the country, find an apartment while living over here, etc.

I'm interested in finding a roommate/s for the upcoming year. I'm a guy, pretty laid back, and would like to live as close to campus as possible. Not sure when orientation is. Is anyone interested?

When is orientation/white coat ceremony/first day of school?

Nevermind!

Last edited:
Yeah, the full 2009-2010 calendar is not out yet.

white coat is friday august 7th
all school orientation is august 3-7
ifm lectures start august 10th

if you call or email admissions, they will give you any dates you need. the calender is made, it just wont be released until june with all the other orientation info.