Drexel University College of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if it's still ok to apply to PIL? I've been a bad girl...laziness...post acceptance bliss...etc etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure they would love it if you still applied to PIL. As long as you've applied before orientation starts I would say you're okay. That said, I would do it sooner rather than later. I procrastinated a fair amount. Once you're in, who feels like writing more essays.

Hi everyone, congrats on the acceptances! I just finished my 2nd year here at DUCOM, and am (not-so-)happily studying for step 1. I was a more active SDN poster last year, but I'm still here if you have questions.

For housing, I live in Alden Park--it's a few blocks from school and is definitely one of the nicest apartment complexes in the area--free gym, pool, parking and 24/7 security. Definitely recommend it, especially if you want to live near the school for your 1st 2 years. I'll be moving downtown in a few weeks, but that's because East Falls is really quiet. The zip codes you'll want to look into are: 19144, and 19129 if you want to be right on top of school.

Re: IFM v PIL--I did IFM and loved it--definitely no regrets on that one. It's really about your learning style. IFMers generally love PIL, PILers generally love PIL...and we still don't understand why the other ppl like their program. :)

Feel free to PM me, as I'll be by my computer for the next 3 weeks...

Again, congrats--I know this was an especially difficult year for DUCOM admissions.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if there was a way to tell what decision was made from the drexel site where you enter your pin about your application status. When I login it says something like a decision has been reached and will be mailed to your address. Does that happen for all people or just when it's not good news? If anybody could help me out with that, it would be great. Thanks!

I was just wondering if there was a way to tell what decision was made from the drexel site where you enter your pin about your application status. When I login it says something like a decision has been reached and will be mailed to your address. Does that happen for all people or just when it's not good news? If anybody could help me out with that, it would be great. Thanks!

That happens for everyone. Enjoy the waiting game. :D

Hi everyone,
I don’t know if everyone has found roommates already, but I’m looking for 1-2 female roommates for an apartment in the East Falls area (not sure where exactly yet). I’m very clean, studious, and neat. I’m also friendly, easygoing, and I like to have fun. I am a 21 year old Chinese female from New York City. I just graduated from Cornell University this spring and I will be a first year medical student this fall. I prefer nonsmokers and no pets. Some interests of mine are food, books, Asian dramas, and spending time outdoors.

Please let me know if you’re interested by emailing me at [email protected], or by messaging me. Thanks!

-Ivy

is cloverly park that great? I've heard a lot of people are living there (this is from the drexel med group on facebook haha.) Anybody actually seen the place or maybe some current students have any opinions on cloverly park?

is cloverly park that great? I've heard a lot of people are living there (this is from the drexel med group on facebook haha.) Anybody actually seen the place or maybe some current students have any opinions on cloverly park?

Hey- I just booked a 1-bedroom there sight unseen. I knew I wanted to be in a complex close to the school. I "looked" at both Alden Park and Cloverly Park and really was sold on the fact that Cloverly is pretty small (I think only around 40 units) and I got the feeling that a good percentage of it is medical students- the woman I spoke to even said they will be throwing a mixer for medical students in early September.

The price is a bit more than I expected I would pay but I figure I need to be comfortable for the first year and then I can make changes (or not!) my second year.

So thats a bit long-winded, but definitely call if you are interested! The woman I spoke to said they are going fast, so act quickly!

See you all in August :oops:)

-BP

Congrats all on your acceptance! I'm a 4th year, and I am moving into center city with my girlfriend. I am looking to rent my house in manayunk to another medical student or a couple. For those of you that dont know manayunk, its a 5 min drive to the queen lane campus, and is the closest area to school with bars, restaurants, and cafes. It is also a much safer neighborhood than east falls. Here is the posting I just put up on craigs list:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/reo/1210446069.html

On a side noe, having gone through the PIL pathway, I can say it was a great experience and could not imagine doing it any other way. I'd be happy to answer any PIL questions or concerns for those of you on the fence.

regards,
Justin

Is anyone else checking out reviews and being scared? I'm finding mostly negative reviews of virtually every building I'm looking at to rent in Manayunk, Roxborough, and East Falls. Should I attribute this to the fact that people with negative experiences are more likely to write reviews? I will be looking at the places for myself, but sometimes you can't tell. I've been burned before and I'm feeling a bit paranoid...thoughts?

Is anyone else checking out reviews and being scared? I'm finding mostly negative reviews of virtually every building I'm looking at to rent in Manayunk, Roxborough, and East Falls. Should I attribute this to the fact that people with negative experiences are more likely to write reviews? I will be looking at the places for myself, but sometimes you can't tell. I've been burned before and I'm feeling a bit paranoid...thoughts?

Yes. Angry people write reviews, and contented people usually don't. Whenever possible, check out apartments in person to see for yourself what they're like.

Greetings all!

I'm very excited to be starting Drexel so soon! I'm just starting to look for an apartment and I'm happy to hear the suggestions that people have made so far.

Additionally, I had a question about year 4. I know students can do electives outside of the Drexel network, but is it possible to do electives out side Philly, or even out of state? Do students ever do Block 4 of PIL (PCP) out of state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings all!

I'm very excited to be starting Drexel so soon! I'm just starting to look for an apartment and I'm happy to hear the suggestions that people have made so far.

Additionally, I had a question about year 4. I know students can do electives outside of the Drexel network, but is it possible to do electives out side Philly, or even out of state? Do students ever do Block 4 of PIL (PCP) out of state?

Congrats on your acceptance! Some of the major apartments nearby Queen Lane are Carleton Park, Charlwin, Queen Lane Manor, Alden Park, Hathaway House, etc. Those are all either adjacent to the school or within walking distance (but I wouldn't walk out at night). There are more further away that some students live at which are more in the suburbs and probably 10-15 minutes driving like Henry on the Park, Woodmere, Summit Gardens, Summit Park, etc.

Yeah you can definitely do a couple 4th year rotations out of state. At most medical schools you are able to do a couple away rotations at other medical schools which most students end up doing as a way to get their foot in the door for possible residency spots.

If you are doing PIL, the PCP is during the end of your first year and I believe it's possible to do it out of state but I don't personally know any of the PIL students that did that in our class. I'm IFM so I'm not completely in the know on the PCP.

Hey everyone. I'm looking at the DUCOM 08-09 schedule and I got a few questions for anyone that finished MS-1 on the IFM track.

1. What are the community education experiences?
2. What are GER EXP?
3. How many electives do you have to take, if any at all?
4. I hear its easy to not go to class since all the lectures are online, but how much of the time do you have to be in class for labs/conferences and other things like that?
5. Did you have any free time for hobbies or just to relax?

I've been apartment hunting around the east falls area and I visited clovery park and was not impressed at all. The stairway leading to the apartments smelled so bad I wanted to vomit. The carpeting in the hallways were dirty and paint was chipped everywhere on the walls. The only thing that was actually decent were the apartments themselves. They had fancy shower heads and washer and dryer and such, but the 1 bedrooms were overpriced. They said they had a "special" for $1195-- but you can definitely find a 1 bedroom elsewhere with the same amenities and quality for $800-900. Also, the parking lot in the back is so small -- it would probably fit a max of 10 cars and you'd have to pay to park. Street parking is obviously free, but when I was there talking to the leasing agents, I parked in front of a car that had its window smashed -- so I don't know how safe it really is to park on the street. I definitely would not recommend cloverly unless you are trying to live in a college dorm type of envirnoment with stinky hallways and stairwells.

Hey everyone. I'm looking at the DUCOM 08-09 schedule and I got a few questions for anyone that finished MS-1 on the IFM track.

1. What are the community education experiences?
2. What are GER EXP?
3. How many electives do you have to take, if any at all?
4. I hear its easy to not go to class since all the lectures are online, but how much of the time do you have to be in class for labs/conferences and other things like that?
5. Did you have any free time for hobbies or just to relax?

CEE is a "class" where you have to volunteering in the community. A list of the available projects is here: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/communityservice/community.html

things range from teaching science to a middle-school class (Which I did) to visiting elderly people.

GER Exp (geriatric experience) is part of the physician and patient course, where you have a partner and you both are assigned a senior citizen. You have to visit them a few times and learn about their life and then write a paper on what you learned about them. This was probably my least favorite thing, because every person I was assigned wanted nothing to do with the program and wouldn't talk to me.

No electives are required, theres a few available though. History of medicine, medical spanish, "cutting cold flesh" (about the history of dissecting cadavers) etc are just a few that i can remember.

For required time in class, Id say its a lot more in the beginning of the year than towards the end. In the beginning it seems that we probably had ~5-10 hours of required stuff a week but at the end it was almost none.

Yeah, theres time youll be able to relax. Theres a few stressful months where its hard, but really you make your own schedule. If you take an hour or 2 out of your day you'll find your studying to be much more efficient.

But dont worry about classes yet! Go enjoy your summer and forget about med school :laugh:

It's absolutely possible. Only downside is you are responsible for transportation, which involves coming back for the mid block review a month in, and lodging. A number of people do it. Some to completely random places, others go to wherever they are from.

Hi Everyone,

Congratulations fellow students! I'm moving down to Philadelphia from Brooklyn and was wondering if anyone is looking for a roommate or renter in East Falls.

I'm a 30 year old married female looking for a studio, 1 bedroom or house share in the East Falls. I don't have pets but love cats and I don't smoke. I'll be away some weekends visiting my husband in Brooklyn, and if he comes to visit in Philly we would be happy to arrange so that people can stay at our place in Brooklyn. We did a house trade with a couple in San Francisco last year and it was a blast. Please message me if you're interested or would like to share apartment/house leads.

Hi Everyone,

Congratulations fellow students! I'm moving down to Philadelphia from Brooklyn and was wondering if anyone is looking for a roommate or renter in East Falls.

I'm a 30 year old married female looking for a studio, 1 bedroom or house share in the East Falls. I don't have pets but love cats and I don't smoke. I'll be away some weekends visiting my husband in Brooklyn, and if he comes to visit in Philly we would be happy to arrange so that people can stay at our place in Brooklyn. We did a house trade with a couple in San Francisco last year and it was a blast. Please message me if you're interested or would like to share apartment/house leads.

I don't know if you use Facebook, but there seems to be a lot of folks in the Class of 2013 group looking for roommates/housemates. Check it out if you'd like.

I don't know if you use Facebook, but there seems to be a lot of folks in the Class of 2013 group looking for roommates/housemates. Check it out if you'd like.

Whats the facebook group called?

I just got accepted to Drexel!:D:D:D:D:D:D I didn't think they even were sending out invites this late! I'm pumped to say the least. Anyway, I am not sure which apartment I should be looking at... Is Carlton any good? If not Carlton, where? I am thinking about living with some friends at around 45th and Chester.. Is that a mistake? Should I not think about living that far from campus? Also, any other advice on what I should be doing right now would be helpful, because I just found out this afternoon! Thanks.

Wow, congrats! You hit a homer pretty late in the game. So celebrate, you deserve it. Try not to become a Philly sport fan, those guys are very strange, or deranged, other than that, just show up, be enthusiatic, have a smile on your face, avoid Craigslist, and you should be good to go.

I just got accepted to Drexel!:D:D:D:D:D:D I didn't think they even were sending out invites this late! I'm pumped to say the least. Anyway, I am not sure which apartment I should be looking at... Is Carlton any good? If not Carlton, where? I am thinking about living with some friends at around 45th and Chester.. Is that a mistake? Should I not think about living that far from campus? Also, any other advice on what I should be doing right now would be helpful, because I just found out this afternoon! Thanks.

That'd be somewhat of a hike to get to class, but it wouldn't be impossible. You'd have to drive or take a combination of buses/trolley's/RR/etc. I guess you could also take SEPTA to Hahnemann and take the shuttle to Queen Lane, or SEPTA to Drexel's main campus and take the shuttle to Hahnemann and then the shuttle to Queen Lane. Not exactly convenient. Are you planning on going to class every day?

yea... actually, I just got into carlton apts ... sorta went from one extreme to the other. >.> Thanks for the reply.

Congrats! Were u accepted off the wait list or is this the first time you have heard from Drexel after your interview?

Congratulations to all of you!
I'm a 4th year that went through the IFM track...if you have any questions regarding IFM, housing, classes, books, etc. Please let me know. Drexel is a fantastic school and you will absolutely love it. The next two years will likely be some of the most difficult years of your lives so far, but stay focused and you'll be fine! I know I was nervous before school because I was accepted very late in the game. I was just an average joe MCAT 29 but with hard work I ended up honoring the majority of my classes first year and all during second year...it's all about how much effort you put in. So if you have any questions please ask!

Congratulations to all of you!
I'm a 4th year that went through the IFM track...if you have any questions regarding IFM, housing, classes, books, etc. Please let me know. Drexel is a fantastic school and you will absolutely love it. The next two years will likely be some of the most difficult years of your lives so far, but stay focused and you'll be fine! I know I was nervous before school because I was accepted very late in the game. I was just an average joe MCAT 29 but with hard work I ended up honoring the majority of my classes first year and all during second year...it's all about how much effort you put in. So if you have any questions please ask!

Hi lipofuscin232,
Thanks for offering help here. I was just wondering, do I need to worry about buying textbooks yet? are textbooks suggested or required? are they helpful? I'm in the PIL program but I assume the textbooks for both tracks are the same?

Hi lipofuscin232,
Thanks for offering help here. I was just wondering, do I need to worry about buying textbooks yet? are textbooks suggested or required? are they helpful? I'm in the PIL program but I assume the textbooks for both tracks are the same?

I wouldn't buy any textbooks upfront, because there's a good chance that you won't use any of them. If you're itching to buy something, buy a Netter's atlas. All textbooks are suggested. You're not required to buy any of them, and most people don't.

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering whether anyone plans to live at Berkshires of East Falls on School House Lane, or if you've heard anything about the complex and/or management. I've already signed a lease there and would love to get to know other Drexel students who might be living nearby!

Just curious if anyone could let me know if there is a dress code for the Queen Lane campus? Or can I just go in in a t-shirt and jeans? I'm heading over there to do my white coat fitting soon.

Thanks

Hey all,

I'm trying to get a sense of the area neighborhoods. I hear that East Falls is a walking-distance radius, while Manayunk/Roxborough are more lively. I also get the sense that the latter are safer places. My question: does safer mean safe? Should I plan on not wandering around at night even if I live in Manayunk/Roxborough? Will I need to worry about my car/apt being broken into?

Also, how is Center City for safety? How's the commute between there and the school, traffic-wise, in the mornings and such?

Thanks!

Just curious if anyone could let me know if there is a dress code for the Queen Lane campus? Or can I just go in in a t-shirt and jeans? I'm heading over there to do my white coat fitting soon.

Thanks

No dress code. Everyone wears t-shirts and shorts/jeans. It makes the med school applicants look that much more awkward. :laugh:

Hey all,

I'm trying to get a sense of the area neighborhoods. I hear that East Falls is a walking-distance radius, while Manayunk/Roxborough are more lively. I also get the sense that the latter are safer places. My question: does safer mean safe? Should I plan on not wandering around at night even if I live in Manayunk/Roxborough? Will I need to worry about my car/apt being broken into?

Also, how is Center City for safety? How's the commute between there and the school, traffic-wise, in the mornings and such?

Thanks!

You can't make any blanket statements about the different areas in terms of safety. There are safe places and not so safe places anywhere you go. Just pay attention to the area when deciding where to live, and you'll be fine.

Center City is the same way. There are very nice areas, and not so nice areas. The commute is doable (a good number of folks do it), but can potentially be a hassle. If you're planning on taking the shuttle, know that it doesn't run past 10pm on weekdays and not at all on weekends.

Hey Everyone!
Congratulations on all your acceptances! I know this is a little late to ask ...but are there any girls who are still looking for roommates? Me and my roommate are looking for a third girl to share a three bedroom and we will be living near the queen lane campus so the commute is quick. If you would like more information let me [email protected].

Again congratulations to all...and see you next year!

For anyone that is finished with their first year, could you happen to answer the following questions?

1. Can we wear any color scrubs for the gross anatomy lab? I already have a bunch of blue ones, but I don't know if they are the same shade as the ones that Drexel is selling. Does it really matter??

2. How much is a parking permit?

3. Is there street parking available -- hence making the parking permit not really necessary?

For anyone that is finished with their first year, could you happen to answer the following questions?

1. Can we wear any color scrubs for the gross anatomy lab? I already have a bunch of blue ones, but I don't know if they are the same shade as the ones that Drexel is selling. Does it really matter??

2. How much is a parking permit?

3. Is there street parking available -- hence making the parking permit not really necessary?

You've got questions, and I've got answers:

1. Any color scrubs are fine.

2. If I recall, parking permits are ~$200 for the semester or ~$400 for the year unless things have recently changed. The year-long includes the summer so there's a benefit to going with the pricier option.

3. There is street parking and many folks utilize it. You can pretty much always find something, but it may be a few blocks away.

Also, just to note, there's always security roaming around campus (24/7) so parking in the fenced and gated campus lot is very safe. As a result, lots of folks leave their cars in the lot if they live close to campus or when they're out of town. Keep that in mind.

Hi there,

I am going to be a first year at DUCOM and I would appreciate input from current and incoming students about the Aetna Advantage Plan offerred at Drexel.

The Aetna plan makes you pick one dental provider from their list. My family dentist is not on their provider list, so I would appreciate 1. recommendations for affordable dental plans from students not going with the Aetna plan and or 2. recommendations for dentists in the Philly area who are participting providers with Aetna Dental Advantage.

Any input would be appreciated, especially #2. since I may end up going with the school plan. Thanks in advance!

Karen

I was just wondering if any MSII-IV students that are on the forum could explain how the third and fourth years at Drexel work. I am interested in going to one of the away sites for my rotations, but am unsure of how the process works. I have spoke with some administration, but they just send me to other departments or have been uncertain of how exactly the process works. How are students accepted to these away rotations - essays? class rank/grades? lottery? etc.. Do most people that desire doing away rotations usual get them, or is there a lot of interest/competition.

If you don't know how this works, could you provide me contact info for someone that does?

Thanks for your help.:)

Congrats everyone!!

Last edited:
I was just wondering if any MSII-IV students that are on the forum could explain how the third and fourth years at Drexel work. I am interested in going to one of the away sites for my rotations, but am unsure of how the process works. I have spoke with some administration, but they just send me to other departments or have been uncertain of how exactly the process works. How are students accepted to these away rotations - essays? class rank/grades? lottery? etc.. Do most people that desire doing away rotations usual get them, or is there a lot of interest/competition.

If you don't know how this works, could you provide me contact info for someone that does?

Thanks for your help.:)

Congrats everyone!!

When you say "away sites," do you mean the full year programs at AGH, Monmouth, etc. where you do all your third year rotations at one hospital? Or do you simply mean the ability to do rotations at hospitals outside of Philadelphia?

If you want to do one of the full-year programs, you apply for it. It's really just based on space and level of interest.

The normal process is a lottery. You rank your preferred locations and times for each rotation and it's put into a computer. You're almost guaranteed to get a rotation or more outside of Philly just because of limited space. There's also an opportunity to swap rotations with classmates if you so desire.

When you say "away sites," do you mean the full year programs at AGH, Monmouth, etc. where you do all your third year rotations at one hospital? Or do you simply mean the ability to do rotations at hospitals outside of Philadelphia?

If you want to do one of the full-year programs, you apply for it. It's really just based on space and level of interest.

The normal process is a lottery. You rank your preferred locations and times for each rotation and it's put into a computer. You're almost guaranteed to get a rotation or more outside of Philly just because of limited space. There's also an opportunity to swap rotations with classmates if you so desire.

I meant the full year programs. Do the people that apply to go to their 3rd and 4th somewhere else, say Monmouth, typically get accepted from the lottery? Which sites are most competitive? If you are accepted to do a full 3rd year at Monmouth (or any other site for that matter) are you guaranteed to stay there for the fourth year or do you have to apply again. If you decide to do your 3rd year another site for the full year (say Monmouth), you do all of your rotations there, correct?
When does the lottery typically take place?

Thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it.

I meant the full year programs. Do the people that apply to go to their 3rd and 4th somewhere else, say Monmouth, typically get accepted from the lottery? Which sites are most competitive? If you are accepted to do a full 3rd year at Monmouth (or any other site for that matter) are you guaranteed to stay there for the fourth year or do you have to apply again. If you decide to do your 3rd year another site for the full year (say Monmouth), you do all of your rotations there, correct?
When does the lottery typically take place?

Thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it.

As far as I know, applying for the full-year programs is separate from the lottery. The lottery takes place during the spring of your 2nd year. I don't know which sites are most competitive. If you're accepted into one of the full-year programs you're guaranteed to stay there for your 3rd year but NOT your 4th year. There is no full-year program for fourth year, so staying there is a matter of scheduling the rotations that you want. Remember, 4th year is mostly electives and not every hospital offers the electives you want, so you may not be able to stay at one hospital and do everything you want.

All of that being said, it's definitely doable to stay at one of the full-year sites for both your 3rd and 4th year. I've met a few people who have.

You've got questions, and I've got answers:

1. Any color scrubs are fine.

2. If I recall, parking permits are ~$200 for the semester or ~$400 for the year unless things have recently changed. The year-long includes the summer so there's a benefit to going with the pricier option.

3. There is street parking and many folks utilize it. You can pretty much always find something, but it may be a few blocks away.

Also, just to note, there's always security roaming around campus (24/7) so parking in the fenced and gated campus lot is very safe. As a result, lots of folks leave their cars in the lot if they live close to campus or when they're out of town. Keep that in mind.

Over $400 to park on Drexel's suburban wide-open parking lot with plenty of room.

The first sign that you're nothing more than a cash-filled pinata...and Drexel plans to whack every last dollar out of you.

Welcome to DuCOM!

Hi, I'm an MS-3, and first off--RELAX! :) Everything will work out. Right now, just focus on getting settled in, and being an awesome 1st-year. That being said, "Away sites," during 3rd year, are simply sites that are more than 1 hour away from Philly. These sites provide housing for students who are doing a rotation at that site. Some of these "away sites" offer all-year options for students who want to spend the year there. However, not all "away" sites are all-year. I think the only all-year away sites are: AGH, Monmouth and St. Peter's. The competitiveness of getting an all-year site request depends on how many spots are open, and how many other people in your class want to do the same thing. For my class, I don't think the all-year away sites were terribly popular.

Hope that answers your question. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Cheers!

Hi, I'm an MS-3, and first off--RELAX! :) Everything will work out. Right now, just focus on getting settled in, and being an awesome 1st-year. That being said, "Away sites," during 3rd year, are simply sites that are more than 1 hour away from Philly. These sites provide housing for students who are doing a rotation at that site. Some of these "away sites" offer all-year options for students who want to spend the year there. However, not all "away" sites are all-year. I think the only all-year away sites are: AGH, Monmouth and St. Peter's. The competitiveness of getting an all-year site request depends on how many spots are open, and how many other people in your class want to do the same thing. For my class, I don't think the all-year away sites were terribly popular.

Hope that answers your question. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Cheers!

Actually, I'm an MS-2. I think you meant to quote the person above me. But good advice for them, nonetheless (and for me, once spring rolls around).