Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, what time during the day has Jasmine been making the calls? That way I'm not anxiously waiting all day haha. Anybody perviously accepted wanna fill us in :)

Members don't see this ad.

You also have to take into account that a portion of those accepted into the class may end up attending school elsewhere, so they will likely accept more than enough to fill the class in anticipation of the last minute withdrawals.
I am one of those accepted and deposited and I'm pretty sure they don't over accept to make sure to fill the class. For example 100 deposits means they will actively accept 60-65 for a class of 150. The luxury at this point in the cycle if you have not been accepted/wait listed the turnover is two weeks not months or a month like it was earlier. The caveat of this is one bird in hand is better than two in the bush. If you get accepted you have to put a deposit down. At this point some cancel other interview and "hop in bed with the first guy that winks at them" or they elect to still see other schools and attend other interviews. There's no penalty for looking. But if you like another school Better you may go there but you lose you initial deposit.
It's all a very sick expensive game to find the best school for you. But at the end of the day money should not play a role in your choice so my advice is to see all you can through this process and if nothing else use it as an excuse to travel before you start medical school.

I am one of those accepted and deposited and I'm pretty sure they don't over accept to make sure to fill the class. For example 100 deposits means they will actively accept 60-65 for a class of 150. The luxury at this point in the cycle if you have not been accepted/wait listed the turnover is two weeks not months or a month like it was earlier. The caveat of this is one bird in hand is better than two in the bush. If you get accepted you have to put a deposit down. At this point some cancel other interview and "hop in bed with the first guy that winks at them" or they elect to still see other schools and attend other interviews. There's no penalty for looking. But if you like another school Better you may go there but you lose you initial deposit.
It's all a very sick expensive game to find the best school for you. But at the end of the day money should not play a role in your choice so my advice is to see all you can through this process and if nothing else use it as an excuse to travel before you start medical school.
This is me just speculating and being very neurotic :), but if I figure correctly they have close to about 110 seats filled. (rough guess based on Facebook group) The committee met today to go over the last 2 weeks of interviews. I think they interview 3 times during the week (anyone know otherwise?) If this is the case, I figure close to 9 interviewees a day. So that would make around 54-55 interviewers. Potentially they could fill the rest of their spots in this next 2 weeks. I feel that gives us (the ones waiting on a call tomorrow) decent odds. I wish everyone the best, especially my group (Feb 12). We had a great time as a group and meshed well :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is me just speculating and being very neurotic :), but if I figure correctly they have close to about 110 seats filled. (rough guess based on Facebook group) The committee met today to go over the last 2 weeks of interviews. I think they interview 3 times during the week (anyone know otherwise?) If this is the case, I figure close to 9 interviewees a day. So that would make around 54-55 interviewers. Potentially they could fill the rest of their spots in this next 2 weeks. I feel that gives us (the ones waiting on a call tomorrow) decent odds. I wish everyone the best, especially my group (Feb 12). We had a great time as a group and meshed well :)

I believe Mrs. Oliver said she was making calls between 3-5 central time tomorrow! May the odds be ever in our favor! Good luck tomorrow!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I've been accepted and put my deposit down. Interviewing 3 times a week seems a little high.

There are still plenty of seats left in the class it's only the end of February...my guess is they'll accept ~40 more students and then waitlist another 40 (gauging partly off of the FB group).

You easily still have plenty of time for a spot. The timing isn't against you at all. Now it's a matter of are you a good fit for the school...They seem to like a particular type of student with certain experiences and interests that align with their own. Good luck to those getting in though, this school seems to be awesome.

The reason I say that number of interviews might be slightly high is b/c you have to take into account the other VCOM campuses that might have students relocate (i.e. student decides to locate to VCOM-Auburn instead of VCOM-Carolina)

I've been accepted and put my deposit down. Interviewing 3 times a week seems a little high.

There are still plenty of seats left in the class it's only the end of February...my guess is they'll accept ~40 more students and then waitlist another 40 (gauging partly off of the FB group).

You easily still have plenty of time for a spot. The timing isn't against you at all. Now it's a matter of are you a good fit for the school...They seem to like a particular type of student with certain experiences and interests that align with their own. Good luck to those getting in though, this school seems to be awesome.
Both my interviewers basically said to me (without bluntly saying it) is that the only thing keeping me from an acceptance at VCOM-auburn was my low MCAT. My interview and other EC/philosophy about medicine, I feel, really fits Auburn's. I guess we'll see right?

Thanks for your input! Congrats on your acceptance :)

do I have a chance with a 3.2 gpa and 24 mcat ???

do I have a chance with a 3.2 gpa and 24 mcat ???

I think the question you should ask yourself is, "Do I have a chance to succeed in any medical school with a 3.2 GPA and 24 MCAT." Unless you have a tremendous upward trend in GPA and a good reason for the 24 MCAT, you might want to re-evaluate.

I hate to sound harsh, sorry.

P.S. my overall GPA is probably around a 3.2, so I am by no means knocking your 3.2. However, I have a ~3.7 over the past 2 years, a ~3.6 over the past 3, and my GPA is really weighed down by 140 units of 3.05 from the 1990s. I'm just trying to illustrate how an upward trend can mitigate a lower overall GPA.

I think the question you should ask yourself is, "Do I have a chance to succeed in any medical school with a 3.2 GPA and 24 MCAT." Unless you have a tremendous upward trend in GPA and a good reason for the 24 MCAT, you might want to re-evaluate.

I hate to sound harsh, sorry.

P.S. my overall GPA is probably around a 3.2, so I am by no means knocking your 3.2. However, I have a ~3.7 over the past 2 years, a ~3.6 over the past 3, and my GPA is really weighed down by 140 units of 3.05 from the 1990s. I'm just trying to illustrate how an upward trend can mitigate a lower overall GPA.

This is more true post-interview than pre-interview. I also have an upward trend in the last two years with a 3.9 average GPA, but with a GPA that is the same as both of yours. I have been denied interviews because of a low average GPA and low MCAT. The schools look at the average GPA and MCAT first and foremost, before delving into your application.

This is more true post-interview than pre-interview. I also have an upward trend in the last two years with a 3.9 average GPA, but with a GPA that is the same as both of yours. I have been denied interviews because of a low average GPA and low MCAT. The schools look at the average GPA and MCAT first and foremost, before delving into your application.

Funny, I was literally rejected outright from a few DO schools, yet received IIs from a few MD schools and quite a few other DO schools. It's all so random, but I think my MCAT, LORs, and crazy ECs made a big difference. Back to the OP: you might want to have that internal dialogue before going further. Good luck!

Funny, I was literally rejected outright from a few DO schools, yet received IIs from a few MD schools and quite a few other DO schools. It's all so random, but I think my MCAT, LORs, and crazy ECs made a big difference. Back to the OP: you might want to have that internal dialogue before going further. Good luck!

I believe MCAT got your foot into the door for those schools. And the upward trend in the grades, awesome LORs and ECs is what sealed the deal post-interview (this is my take on it though). Some schools value a high MCAT and others a high GPA, and even some schools value excellent clinical experience. Yeah it can be rather random.

Congrats to you on being accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
is you mcat above 23???

I believe she said rejections would be emailed. Would those emails also go out today? Or would they have come already, or perhaps tomorrow??? I suppose no news (no email) is good news.....

I agree with "non-sibi-sed-omnibus". The MCAT sucksssssss. And I don't think it does a good job of predicting a student's future success as a doctor. However, poor MCAT scores may correlate with struggling on board exams (I believe they do), so if you can't get that up or compensate in some other area then your chances might be slim. The board exams are going to be rough, so you wanna be confident that you can do it (and admissions wants to be as well).

I think my L.O.R. reallllly helped me in post interview. From a well known/recognized D.O.

Surprisingly VCOM has really low MCAT averages. So, my guess is if they see some success with GPA (hence their higher GPA averages--3.6 science) then you can get in with a low MCAT.

I thought I had low numbers. I knew my L.O.R. was gonna help tons though. So, it's all about compensating weak parts....

But if you get an interview just prepare and do your best--and if it's meant to be then great, but if not go back to the drawing board and figure things out.

I believe she said rejections would be emailed. Would those emails also go out today? Or would they have come already, or perhaps tomorrow??? I suppose no news (no email) is good news.....
I was wondering the same thing

Not yet! Patiently waiting by sdn, my phone, and my email. Will post here immediately to let people know...

Just to let everyone know - I have had no news yet either....

Hey yall! Interviewed a few weeks ago and just got my acceptance letter! Does anyone know how much the background check is? Do we have to pay for the drug test too??

Did you get a call? Or just a letter? Was it email or post?

Call, email, then letter! I'm going to be broke from paying all these deposits and other fees! But thats ok!

Just so you all know, they like to make all of those calls/emails on the same day. If you think about it, you can probably figure out why...

They don't have enough time this afternoon to notify everyone, so it will be tomorrow at the earliest. Have a good night. :)

Just so you all know, they like to make all of those calls/emails on the same day. If you think about it, you can probably figure out why...

They don't have enough time this afternoon to notify everyone, so it will be tomorrow at the earliest. Have a good night. :)
Wondering how you know??

Thanks for letting us know!! :)

Why do we now believe they will be making calls tomorrow rather than now and into the evening - as was communicated at the interview? Has someone made contact with admissions to learn this new information?

Why do we now believe they will be making calls tomorrow rather than now and into the evening - as was communicated at the interview? Has someone made contact with admissions to learn this new information?

You don't have to take anyone's (or that of someone who has been through the process) word for it; maybe parse this thread and make a spreadsheet of all the people who were expecting an afternoon/evening call after the adcom had been interviewing another group all day ... but got the call/email the following morning instead? That might help pass the time.

Seriously, hang tight and enjoy your evening. GL!

Reactions: 3 users

On my interview day we were told that all calls and emails would be made on the same day. These calls/emails would occur either in the afternoon following the ADCOM decisions or else the next day. My phone call came in the day after the ADCOM was set to meet at around 1pm. If I remember correctly, acceptances are via phone call while wait lists and rejections are via email. I could say try to get some rest, but having been through the process I can imagine how all your nerves must be. Good luck.

Hey yall! Interviewed a few weeks ago and just got my acceptance letter! Does anyone know how much the background check is? Do we have to pay for the drug test too??

Follow the instructions on the "Welcome, Class of 2019!" site; the cost was approximately $73.

Just filled it out! It says its $73 if you live in texas or new mexico, it was only $67 for me! ;);)

Well that makes me feel better. No call or email today and was wondering what was going on. Guess we'll wait till tomorrow.

I just received a call, accepted to this wonderful school!!!! Good luck!!

Reactions: 6 users

Last edited:
Congrats! So that leaves 3 of us on here still waiting for calls?

Last edited:
Hey y'all scratch half of what I said earlier.

If you don't get that call/email, hang tight, and don't bomb her VM or email in the morning. :)

My deadline for mailing a deposit to another school is tomorrow. Under such circumstances, do you all think I should contact her tomorrow? VCOM is my preference and I would rather send that deposit to Auburn in the event I will be accepted - just with a delay in notification.....