Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let's get it. How's everyone feeling about living in Spartanburg for 4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm as excited as Jesse Spano to apply to this school.

As an OOS applicant, do I have a better chance getting accepted here or at the Virginia campus?

Yes and no, even though you are considered OOS you have to think about which place is going to be better for you to get a difficult degree at. Medical school is expensive anyways, I wouldn't worry so much on the funds than to whatever makes you more comfortable in whatever environment you take.

My question is how much more applicants does the VC take over the CC if any?

Yes and no, even though you are considered OOS you have to think about which place is going to be better for you to get a difficult degree at. Medical school is expensive anyways, I wouldn't worry so much on the funds than to whatever makes you more comfortable in whatever environment you take.

My question is how much more applicants does the VC take over the CC if any?

wondering this as well

wondering this as well

I don't understand the question. They take as many applicants as they get. More info can be found on the admissions page as far as numbers.

Posted this in the virginia site thread but thought I'd put here as well. Just got an email from admissions saying they received my AACOMAS application and that the committee will begin reviewing applications in the next 2-3 weeks.

Found my "we got your app" email in my junk folder

Glad you said that....in my junk folder as well. Wouldn't have seen it otherwise.....

Interviewed 10/12 and accepted 11/12. Deferred until class of 2018.
My Overall GPA was 3.52, Science 3.6, MCAT 20,23,23.
Tennessee Resident.
Biology degree. Had a year of ER scribe experience and year of Cardiology MA experience (going on 2 years now).

Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 10/12 and accepted 11/12. Deferred until class of 2018.
My Overall GPA was 3.52, Science 3.6, MCAT 20,23,23.
Tennessee Resident.
Biology degree. Had a year of ER scribe experience and year of Cardiology MA experience (going on 2 years now).

Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

Do you happen to remember when your file was complete?

This is one of my top choices, hoping for a secondary soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you happen to remember when your file was complete?

I am not sure but I would say my AACOMAS was complete mid August. Got secondary beginning of Sept. Sent it in mid Sept. Got interview invite Oct 15. Interviewed Oct 29th. Accepted 11/1

Secondary sent.....i forgot about the 6hrs of upper level science. If this is my only acceptance it will be a busy year

Secondary sent.....i forgot about the 6hrs of upper level science. If this is my only acceptance it will be a busy year

Is it a long secondary? This is my number one choice BY FAR. I love this school and am crossing my fingers for a secondary today as well.

Is it a long secondary? This is my number one choice BY FAR. I love this school and am crossing my fingers for a secondary today as well.

A couple of standard "600 words or less" style questions and the typical promise you aren't a felon type stuff

For those that have already been accepted Congrats!! I'm just wondering if I'm competitive here do you mind posting some of your stats?

GPA - 3.95
Science GPA - 3.88
MCAT- July 2014
Solid LORs
Lots of Extracurriculars

For those that have already been accepted Congrats!! I'm just wondering if I'm competitive here do you mind posting some of your stats?

GPA - 3.95
Science GPA - 3.88
MCAT- July 2014
Solid LORs
Lots of Extracurriculars

Not sure if anyone has been accepted yet this cycle, but I will post my stats:

GPA- 3.44
Science GPA- 3.55
Post-bac- 4.0
MCAT- 25
SC resident
Research publication on aging
Anatomy/Phys. Lab instructor at a local college
lots of volunteering... lots of DO shadowing.....typical applicant details

Last edited:
I am applying here this cycle and I have a 3.86 overall gpa and a 3.78 science and scored a 23 6ps9v8bs on my mcat. I am a Hispanic Texas resident.

I am applying here this cycle and I have a 3.86 overall gpa and a 3.78 science and scored a 23 6ps9v8bs on my mcat. I am a Hispanic Texas resident.

I am no expert, but I think your chances are still good despite your lower-than-average MCAT. MCAT isn't everything. Their website says the average MCAT is 25 and they have a standard deviation of 3...good luck!!

To all,
I was accepted last cycle and have defered to this class. I got accepted with 3.5 GPA and 23 MCAT.
>2,000 hrs as ER scribe and Medical Assistant in the largest cardiology institution in Memphis. So if I can do it you guys can do it. Just have to make yourself stand out in the interview process.

To all,
I was accepted last cycle and have defered to this class. I got accepted with 3.5 GPA and 23 MCAT.
>2,000 hrs as ER scribe and Medical Assistant in the largest cardiology institution in Memphis. So if I can do it you guys can do it. Just have to make yourself stand out in the interview process.

Thanks for the boost of confidence! May I ask if you were a SC resident? I wonder if that makes a difference.

Nevermind, I just realized you said you were in Memphis. I am taking a tour next week. I have been before for an open house, and I absolutely loved the facilities. The staff was so friendly, too.

Nevermind, I just realized you said you were in Memphis. I am taking a tour next week. I have been before for an open house, and I absolutely loved the facilities. The staff was so friendly, too.

What day?

Friday at 10am

Ah ok, I'll be there on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to seeing it and Spartanburg as well. NC resident here, I didn't really want to do a tour at first but Virginia admissions suggested I do one to get acquatinted.

Ah ok, I'll be there on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to seeing it and Spartanburg as well. NC resident here, I didn't really want to do a tour at first but Virginia admissions suggested I do one to get aquatinted.

Ah, I grew up in NC. Spartanburg is cool, and the surrounding towns are nice. Check out Greenville (if you have never been). The downtown area is cool. But, I'm a girly girl and like to shop :)

Ah, I grew up in NC. Spartanburg is cool, and the surrounding towns are nice. Check out Greenville (if you have never been). The downtown area is cool. But, I'm a girly girl and like to shop :)

Oh nice, I'm not really from anywhere particular (I've moved like 20 times) but NC is where most of my family is. Did you like their open house? Also, most of the people I've spoken to at this school seem very laid back, I like that. I've been to Greenville before but might go there as well if there's no Krystal's in Spartanburg. I'm a guy guy. :p

My science GPA was 3.45 and my advisor said that they rounded up so I went ahead and gave it a shot. Do you set up the tours yourself or is it a group tour?

My science GPA was 3.45 and my advisor said that they rounded up so I went ahead and gave it a shot. Do you set up the tours yourself or is it a group tour?

Dang! I wish I went for it. I already applied to other schools, so I guess it is too late for me :(. There is a form on the website that allows you to message them with your requested tour date. When you submit the form someone in admissions emails you or calls you back pretty quickly. You get to choose the date/time, so I guess there is a chance it could be a group tour, but could also just be you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oh nice, I'm not really from anywhere particular (I've moved like 20 times) but NC is where most of my family is. Did you like their open house? Also, most of the people I've spoken to at this school seem very laid back, I like that. I've been to Greenville before but might go there as well if there's no Krystal's in Spartanburg. I'm a guy guy. :p

I did like their open house. I knew I was several months away from actually applying, but it was still a great opportunity to learn about the school, some of their rotation sites, and OMM. There was also a chance to talk with current students and have lunch with them to ask questions, and they let you bring your application in and speak with admissions officers for guidance, which was pretty cool. I didn't have an application yet, but it seemed like a great opportunity for feedback.

What do you guys know about the reputation of VCOM? (USMLE scores). VCOM is my top choice (girlfriend is going there this fall, and I can join in the following year.)
I have a 32 MCAT and 3.92 gpa. I hope that I have a chance. From VA, but live in AR.
How does it compare to other DO schools like TCOM and WV-COM?

What do you guys know about the reputation of VCOM? (USMLE scores). VCOM is my top choice (girlfriend is going there this fall, and I can join in the following year.)
I have a 32 MCAT and 3.92 gpa. I hope that I have a chance. From VA, but live in AR.

Why isn't an MD school a top choice? There are some that are close to VCOM. VCOM has a good reputation in Virginia, while this Carolina campus is new.

It has a good reputation. VCOM-CC isn't in Virginia, so I'm not sure if being from Vriginia will matter too much. The school is pretty new, so facts and figures you are looking for may not be available yet...

URM

3.15 cGPA

3.35 sGPA

MCAT-- August (Expecting 26-28 based on practice test)

100+ volunteer hours (Habitat for Humanity and Free Health Screening)

13000+ Clinical hours as a nurse

60 shadowing hours (MD/DO primary care)

Will I be competitive for VCOM?

Last edited:
URM

3.15 cGPA

3.35 sGPA

Where are you from/live? Your GPAs are below average for the school, although youre urm, so im sure at will help to some extent. I'd think you'd need a high MCAT. Good luck man, study hard.

URM

3.15 cGPA

3.35 sGPA

It'll help if you apply early. Have you submitted your aacomas? You can always update them with your MCAT once you receive it, but submitting it now may give you an advantage. It takes a while for aacomas to process. Good luck!!

Where are you from/live? Your GPAs are below average for the school, although youre urm, so im sure at will help to some extent. I'd think you'd need a high MCAT. Good luck man, study hard.

I am from Florida... You think my sGPA is also below average for the school! Hopefully I can get a 28+ MCAT score... VCOM is at the top of my list.

It'll help if you apply early. Have you submitted your aacomas? You can always update them with your MCAT once you receive it, but submitting it now may give you an advantage. It takes a while for aacomas to process. Good luck!!

Will submit at the end of this month... I think my application will get verified by the time my score is in... Still working on my PS though.

Let's get it. How's everyone feeling about living in Spartanburg for 4 years?

How is the town of Spartanburg? What type of housing do you think most students live in? (Apt, house?) this is def one of my top picks just waiting to be verified!!!!

I am from Florida... You think my sGPA is also below average for the school! Hopefully I can get a 28+ MCAT score... VCOM is at the top of my list.

Will submit at the end of this month... I think my application will get verified by the time my score is in... Still working on my PS though.

Yes it's lower, they're GPA heavy (as well as regionally). They say a competitive MCAT is 24. I'd apply soon if I were you.

How is the town of Spartanburg? What type of housing do you think most students live in? (Apt, house?) this is def one of my top picks just waiting to be verified!!!!

It's a smaller city thats mostly AAs, and pretty historic. The school has a community mission and its a southern city. You all should check out the 2014 CIB:
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

I'd assume people live in Apts (which close to school would be more expensive). There's no campus housing on anything like that. I haven't been to the school as yet, but will post my thoughts Monday.

Yes it's lower, they're GPA heavy (as well as regionally). They say a competitive MCAT is 24. I'd apply soon if I were you.

Ok... Will try to submit in the next two weeks....

There are some decent houses in a neighboring town called Boiling Springs. I mapped it and one neighborhood that has a pool is 6 miles from the school. If anyone is like me, non-trad or just want to buy a house, the payments are way less than renting.

There are some decent houses in a neighboring town called Boiling Springs. I mapped it and one neighborhood that has a pool is 6 miles from the school. If anyone is like me, non-trad or just want to buy a house, the payments are way less than renting.

Buying is certainly cheaper, the area is more expensive than I would've thought for a 30k populated city.

Buying is certainly cheaper, the area is more expensive than I would've thought for a 30k populated city.

I know what you mean. It seems like the price of renting is even worse. If you don't want to live in an apartment, a house will run you 1250+/ mo, but a $150k house would only be around $850 with taxes/insurance. That's not too bad...

I am not applying this year, but am interested in this campus for the future. I used to live in the area, and want to caution everyone that there is a Boiling Springs, NC and a Boiling Springs, SC.
Make sure you know what area you're searching in! lol Some sites don't have the two separated and will pull up a search for the Boiling Springs in NC instead of SC.

I received a 2ndary from this school today but have not taken the mcat. Does anyone know if this is normal?