Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the last 2 questions of the secondary.. if they don't really apply to you how are you guys answering them..

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the question about listing experiences not on AACOMAS... what if you listed everything on AACOMAS? I put everything I've done on AACOMAS, but I don't want to leave it blank...

For the question about listing experiences not on AACOMAS... what if you listed everything on AACOMAS? I put everything I've done on AACOMAS, but I don't want to leave it blank...

I left it blank...

Received and finished the secondary today. Yet another waiting game begins.

I have not yet received any secondary!

I got verified late July. I got an email stating:

"Thank you for submitting a primary application to VCOM – Virginia Campus. Please be advised your application was received from AACOMAS. We look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications during the next two to three weeks and will be certain to follow-up with you regarding your status at that time."

-Considering that three weeks haven't passed yet, is anyone on the same boat?

"Thank you for submitting a primary application to VCOM – Virginia Campus. Please be advised your application was received from AACOMAS. We look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications during the next two to three weeks and will be certain to follow-up with you regarding your status at that time."

I submitted my primary to them about a week ago and got a secondary a couple days later. Who knows how all of this works.

Yep, except with the CC campus. Verified 6/24, got the email they received my primary and still nothing. I emailed them earlier in the week asking what my status was but they have yet to respond. Idk what to think! It's been 6 weeks with no word! :(

I'm honestly confused :oops: so whats the difference (environment, socially, etc) between Viriginia and Carolina campus?? I understand that curriculum-wise and so on its nearly identical.

I just went to submit my application today, and it asked either for PayPal or a Check number... i typed in a check number but didn't pay anything. But it says I submitted my application. I'm confused... did this happen to anyone else? I didn't get any verification that I paid or am officially done with the application itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just went to submit my application today, and it asked either for PayPal or a Check number... i typed in a check number but didn't pay anything. But it says I submitted my application. I'm confused... did this happen to anyone else? I didn't get any verification that I paid or am officially done with the application itself.

That check number is meant to be the actual number of the check that you would be mailing in. The only options to pay are Paypal or mailing in a check. I don't think they handle checking transactions online. You might want to call them on Monday and work that out.

Edit: Just a little late haha.

I finally got an invite to do a secondary today. They are really late in processing our apps. They received my primary in late June and this is the first time I have heard from them since.

I finally got an invite to do a secondary today. They are really late in processing our apps. They received my primary in late June and this is the first time I have heard from them since.

Same here. It was almost 6 weeks. Glad we finally got one!! :thumbup:

Oh my God this is the worst secondary I have ever seen.

I have heard that there are worse. OHSU is one that I know is bad, and others are complaining about U Arizona Tucson.

Compared to OHSU, these questions seem tame. These are about health care issues, OHSU wants you to open your soul and expose the soft parts so they can stab you with a rejection or a LOOOOOOONG hold period (usually until May).

dsoz

I have heard that there are worse. OHSU is one that I know is bad, and others are complaining about U Arizona Tucson.

Compared to OHSU, these questions seem tame. These are about health care issues, OHSU wants you to open your soul and expose the soft parts so they can stab you with a rejection or a LOOOOOOONG hold period (usually until May).

dsoz

Ha so true. MSU's secondary is much more of a pain too

MSU's secondary = worst thing of my life :thumbdown:

I didn't apply to MSU. I should go over to that thread and check out the questions.

dsoz

has anyone received a complete e-mail from VCOM virginia campus?

Hey guys, I have a good Mcat and good GPA at Virginia Tech. I have good shadowing and good volunteering hours. 2 years of research and leadership experiences. Do I have a chance here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I have a 27 P Mcat (10,6,11) and a 4.0 GPA at Virginia Tech. I have 150 shadowing and 150 volunteering hours. 2 years of research and leadership experiences. Do I have a chance here?

yes lol you have a good chance for probably any DO school...

yes lol you have a good chance for probably any DO school...

Really? I am just really worried right now because of the 6 in verbal. English is my second language but still I wasn't expecting anything this low.

Anyone from Cali going to this school? If you aren't from the area do you think you need to have stats that are well above the stated average on the website?

Basically I am asking if the regional bias makes it not worth applying to this school OOS with cGPA average, sGPA above average, MCAT below average in comparison to their 2015 class profile.

Really? I am just really worried right now because of the 6 in verbal. English is my second language but still I wasn't expecting anything this low.

I think you have a good shot. With English not being your first language, it's a reasonable excuse. Plus your GPA and your ties to Virginia should really help that out A LOT (plus ur great science scores! :thumbup: ) Just my opinion though :oops:

Off the top of my head cGPA 3.59, sGPA: 3.82, MCAT 28 with an abysmal freshman year. I've rocked all my bio classes including many upper levels that we will be taking in med school. I can't see this one class doing anything to change anyone thoughts on my application.

I'm assuming the email was automated, was just wondering if anyone else has had success bypassing it.

I got the same email and called the office to see if it was a mistake. They said I was being put on hold until fall semester grades come in. My GPA's aren't nearly as good as yours and my MCAT is a point higher but same sort of boat. I was a bit stunned at being held pre-secondary to be honest, you would think they would take the $50 secondary fee at least. I wonder if the regional bias plays a role here.

I think you have a good shot. With English not being your first language, it's a reasonable excuse. Plus your GPA and your ties to Virginia should really help that out A LOT (plus ur great science scores! :thumbup: ) Just my opinion though :oops:

Words can't describe how much relief you have given me :) Thank you so much for the encouragement!

I got the same email and called the office to see if it was a mistake. They said I was being put on hold until fall semester grades come in. My GPA's aren't nearly as good as yours and my MCAT is a point higher but same sort of boat. I was a bit stunned at being held pre-secondary to be honest, you would think they would take the $50 secondary fee at least. I wonder if the regional bias plays a role here.

Yeah this was one of my top schools, up there with the schools most of SDN considers the best DO schools. I can't imagine it's regional bias as they didn't give us a chance to fill out a secondary and explain ourselves better. I'm not sure what I will do about this school as they told me they are indeed going to wait for my biochem class and I may have an acceptance with deposit already payed for by then. Really disappointed with my situation here.

Invisibility.gif

..it's how I feel in this thread

Anyone from Cali going to this school? If you aren't from the area do you think you need to have stats that are well above the stated average on the website?

Basically I am asking if the regional bias makes it not worth applying to this school OOS with cGPA average, sGPA above average, MCAT below average in comparison to their 2015 class profile.

It is a good school. They are bias for people that want to work in this area. We have a large shortage. But that being said your stats are good than you have a good chance.

Yeah this was one of my top schools, up there with the schools most of SDN considers the best DO schools. I can't imagine it's regional bias as they didn't give us a chance to fill out a secondary and explain ourselves better. I'm not sure what I will do about this school as they told me they are indeed going to wait for my biochem class and I may have an acceptance with deposit already payed for by then. Really disappointed with my situation here.

I might be in the same boat by then, and honestly I don't know if I will fill out their secondary if I got one later. Definitely disappointing because I like the school. Semester doesn't end until Dec 15th, and grades take another week, so basically it will be after Christmas until they will even consider sending me a secondary. They told me to just make sure I got A's and B's in my upper division sciences this semester (biochem here too, and physiology) and I should be fine, and not to worry because lots of people interview in the spring. But if I'm sitting on other acceptances with high deposits to hold my seat it wont be easy to just wait until March for an interview.

I might be in the same boat by then, and honestly I don't know if I will fill out their secondary if I got one later. Definitely disappointing because I like the school. Semester doesn't end until Dec 15th, and grades take another week, so basically it will be after Christmas until they will even consider sending me a secondary. They told me to just make sure I got A's and B's in my upper division sciences this semester (biochem here too, and physiology) and I should be fine, and not to worry because lots of people interview in the spring. But if I'm sitting on other acceptances with high deposits to hold my seat it wont be easy to just wait until March for an interview.

Sounds very familiar. They are waiting on my Biochem course for the fall...But I have other schools interested etc...While the school is only 30 minutes from me it would be hard to not accept other offers that are 'sure things'. In the end no matter which school you go to you will be practicing medicine...so I guess it is a good problem to have. :)

I withdrew from VCOM this morning (before submitting the secondary). Best of luck to all who are applying here!

Its been difficult/impossible to get hold of these guys via email or phone. Hope that they begin offering interview invites soon... anyone received completes yet?

Its been difficult/impossible to get hold of these guys via email or phone. Hope that they begin offering interview invites soon... anyone received completes yet?

I emailed admissions to let them know I'm withdrawing my application and they emailed back immediately and I emailed back/forth a few times with someone from admissions. She was just curious about why I was withdrawing and if I had a seat somewhere else, etc.

VCOM-VC is my top choice. I went to their spring open house and fell in love with the school. I submitted all my secondary and recommendations Aug 17th but they had a "glitch" with Interfolio and somehow never downloaded my recommendations until last week when I contacted them so my application was sent on for review later than it should have. Their fall open house is coming up Oct 20th. I can easily get to Blacksburg but I'm not sure if I should go again as its the same program. If I haven't heard from VCOM by early October would it be helpful to go again to the open house? Last time I had a 30 minute meeting with an admissions rep so I'm not sure if they frown upon people coming again. Any advice/suggestion would be helpful so I can begin to plan.

VCOM-VC is my top choice. I went to their spring open house and fell in love with the school. I submitted all my secondary and recommendations Aug 17th but they had a "glitch" with Interfolio and somehow never downloaded my recommendations until last week when I contacted them so my application was sent on for review later than it should have. Their fall open house is coming up Oct 20th. I can easily get to Blacksburg but I'm not sure if I should go again as its the same program. If I haven't heard from VCOM by early October would it be helpful to go again to the open house? Last time I had a 30 minute meeting with an admissions rep so I'm not sure if they frown upon people coming again. Any advice/suggestion would be helpful so I can begin to plan.

I have a similar history with ATSU SOMA in that they are near me and I have had the chance to really get exposed/interact with them a lot over the last few years. If I were you, I would just take a take a deep breath and let the process take its course. Waiting isn't any fun but there is still PLENTY of time for getting reviewed and offered an interview. They haven't sent out any yet this year! I doubt an open house will reap anything that you are looking for but take all this with a grain of salt, its just my personal opinion.

VCOM likes it when candidates stalk. I went to an open house at Blacksburg, an open house at Spartanburg (and brought about ten friends), and went to their DO for a Day program that they ran last spring. They're really about making sure they admit people who are interested in the school, and they will pull your application on the spot if you show up for an open house and mention that you applied (true story). That person ended up getting in, so I'm pretty sure they didn't mind.

Why is there still no activity from VCOM-VA?! I realize they may be sending out invites for people not on SDN but reallly, not a single sign of life yet?

Why is there still no activity from VCOM-VA?! I realize they may be sending out invites for people not on SDN but reallly, not a single sign of life yet?
Right?? I'm an early decisions applicant and still have not received an II. I talked to them last week and they said that they haven't sent out any offers yet. I was told in August that interviews for early decisions would be in mid-September. I'm starting to get a little worried because other schools have already accepted people!

Right?? I'm an early decisions applicant and still have not received an II. I talked to them last week and they said that they haven't sent out any offers yet. I was told in August that interviews for early decisions would be in mid-September. I'm starting to get a little worried because other schools have already accepted people!

Wow, that must be frustrating. I would think you should be hearing back from them soon considering you are ED but hopefully the rest of us do too.

I too talked with them earlier this week. It seemed like there was 1-2 interview dates for this month in order but if they are really planning on that I hope they get on it soon!
I'm from the western region of the States so I said i really liked their school but asked if there is any way (if i am granted an interview) to schedule it with my other trips out east in mind. I realize its a long shot but I really like VCOM, I just don't know if I can afford to make too many more cross country trips, especially with the cost of getting into Roanoke...
If they get on the ball soon and even more so if they get me in on one of these dates they'll win HUGE points in my book. Fingers crossed for us both

Anybody heard any word on any interview offers??

If I were you (being ED with my hands tied until they make a decision) I would
call and follow up. They never give the impression of being bothered by pre-med mentality:D

OK, the elephant in the room:

Has nobody else noticed that Whitney (Mrs. King), the admissions coordinators at VCOM, is ridiculously beautiful? She left a message on my cellphone, and I melted a little. :D

Right AHEMM. Applications, medical school, important stuff.

OK, the elephant in the room:

Has nobody else noticed that Whitney (Mrs. King), the admissions coordinators at VCOM, is ridiculously beautiful? She left a message on my cellphone, and I melted a little. :D

Right AHEMM. Applications, medical school, important stuff.

Does this mean you got an interview invite?
By the way, it will be a little awkward if she reads these threads... ha:laugh: