This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SavannahLeigh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some advice on how to move forward with eLORs. I can't find a similar question anywhere in the forum history so I apologize in advance if this is a repetitive topic.

Last year I applied to four universities in the UK through UCAS, which requires work experience to be documented through typed letters of recommendation. I'm reapplying this year through VMCAS, and am a bit stuck on what to do with my previous letters of recommendation in this format.

My problem is, I did my vet experience about a year ago, and have since been working with exotics in order to diversify my qualifications. Though the letters I have from the two vets I worked for previously are very good, I don't think they are going to be on board with the idea of re-submitting them through VMCAS. Both were short term internships of about 80 hours each. I will ask of course, but I would like to know how well my other options come across in case they aren't willing to take the time to fill out the eLORs.

I currently have completed eLORs from the president of a exotic animal educational program, a recent chemistry professor, and the head keeper of a big cat conservation center. I also plan on getting a recommendation from the director at an animal shelter that specializes in medical and behavioral problems.

Without the vet recommendations, would these be adequate? I'm only using VMCAS to apply to RVC and Edinburgh. I believe RVC only states that they need applications through VMCAS, but nothing else pertaining to how the application should be filled.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

If not technically required, I would say having an eLOR from a veterinarian is still essentially required. If you have the old letters from veterinarians it might help them if you provided them with the letters they wrote previously to help jog their memory. If they are unwilling to write one then I would get out there and find a vet to shadow ASAP and try to build a relationship with them to get a good LOR.

I'd hope of they are nice people they could just click the link and attach the letter they wrote before. The VMCAS makes it really easy so hopefully they will take the time to send them in.