RVC/Dublin/Glasgow/Edinburgh/Bristol c/o 2028 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear Ashlynn,

Thank you for your email.

I can see that we have not yet made a decision on your application to BVSc Veterinary Science: Accelerated Graduate Entry (D102).

Being put on hold doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with your application or your application is unsuccessful at this stage.

Please keep an eye on your email and a decision will be made as soon as we can.

We appreciate your patience during this process.

I hope this is helpful, but if you have further questions, please respond to this email and we will be happy to help.
okay, so basically no information

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on November 19 for RVC and haven’t heard anything at all. Anxiously waiting for a response…

Reactions: 3 users
You don't want to go here anyway
That is not very nice to say. I know that all colleges/universities have their pros and cons. I know in my experience, that I have had people tell me "you don't want to go to XYZ school because of this reason", and it did scare me to fail at that school.

For instance, I thought I wanted to go to Ross, but I decided not to because someone said that there are so many cons, but there are veterinarians that have graduated from there and they are fantastic veterinarians. I have seen your reasons why you don't like RVC, but someone might enjoy it.

Let us keep all schools in a positive light, but never be naîve of the cons of each school.

Reactions: 10 users
You don't want to go here anyway

I see you in the forums always shedding a bad light on RVC. I’m sorry that you’re having a bad experience there. If someone asks for opinions on RVC, feel free to give your poor experiences. But for now, please stop giving your unsolicited advice. It’s kind of annoying.

Reactions: 10 users
I agree with everything above. If you want to give constructive criticism about a program, that is welcome, but unsolicited comments with no real reasoning behind them serve no purpose on these forums. There IS a program for everyone! and if you are truly that unhappy I strongly recommend you consider transferring.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
just as a general rule of life, don’t yuck someone’s yum

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I agree with everything above. If you want to give constructive criticism about a program, that is welcome, but unsolicited comments with no real reasoning behind them serve no purpose on these forums. There IS a program for everyone! and if you are truly that unhappy I strongly recommend you consider transferring.
I've been trying since first term first year. It's really not feasible, as much as id love to be at a different school. There isn't enough awareness of how many students actually dislike the program. I feel super disillusioned and wish I'd known what I know now before choosing to lock myself into hundreds of thousands of debt at this school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been trying since first term first year. It's really not feasible, as much as id love to be at a different school. There isn't enough awareness of how many students actually dislike the program. I feel super disillusioned and wish I'd known what I know now before choosing to lock myself into hundreds of thousands of debt at this school.
I’m so sorry you are having that experience. If you don’t mind sharing what do you wish you knew before specifically about the program?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I’m so sorry you are having that experience. If you don’t mind sharing what do you wish you knew before specifically about the program?
I’d also love an answer to this as opposed to general disparagement with no reasons behind it since I and others are in this thread trying to decide if RVC is where we want to go

• Love
I’d also love an answer to this as opposed to general disparagement with no reasons behind it since I and others are in this thread trying to decide if RVC is where we want to go
I also second this. RVC is a school I had applied to but was rejected in the fall.

I also second this. RVC is a school I had applied to but was rejected in the fall.

I’ve seen his responses a few times. He focuses on a lot on talking about having to do a lot of stuff on your own like for example with exams how they aren’t given very often and it is pretty much our responsibility to make sure we know the material. However, for me at least, this curriculum style is clearly stated by RVC and people who go there know this so it seems as though this is not a negative reflection on RVC as a school as it is our responsibility to be aware of this when we enroll.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I’ve seen his responses a few times. He focuses on a lot on talking about having to do a lot of stuff on your own like for example with exams how they aren’t given very often and it is pretty much our responsibility to make sure we know the material. However, for me at least, this curriculum style is clearly stated by RVC and people who go there know this so it seems as though this is not a negative reflection on RVC as a school as it is our responsibility to be aware of this when we enroll.
I love that entail into the school, that is one of the reasons why I looked into RVC. It just breaks my heart when someone is trying to bring down someone just because they didn't do their research before paying for the spots. For example, I started my research on each school I applied for because I do not want to pay for money for a school I don't want to go to. Paying money to get reject is one thing. I live in Oklahoma, and I don't want to go to OSU for various reasons, I didn't apply to it even though if I got in it would be cheaper. I do not care for their curriculum.

Any news this week from Bristol? It just feels like its so late compared to previous years.

Nope nothin I think most schools are operating on a later time frame this year unfortunately:/

• Hmm
RVC rejection. :( Fort Worth Nov 14th interview. Best of luck to the rest of applicants

• Care
  • Sad
Nowhere is it stated that your entire year of grades will come from 60-100 MC and a couple short answer questions. Nothing at all was made clear about the way the school assesses in the application period. I came to this school to be pushed hard as a student and I don't feel like I've gotten that at all. In fact lots of my classmates actively **** on people for working hard, encourage barely scraping a pass, nobody shows up to lecture or group discussion sessions or when they do they are extremely disruptive and loud. There isn't enough space for the number of students on campus, rotation groups are massively overfull and they're just increasing the class size. Because nobody shows up to things the school is transitioning more and more lecture content into online learning modules so not only are you not getting as much lecture time, you don't actually get feedback to ensure you know the material.
If I wanted to go teach myself medicine on msdvet I would've gone to a school that charges me less than 70k USD to do it.
The issue with getting next to no feedback or correction is that the overall understanding of important concepts is just not there, there's no consistency.

Nowhere is it stated that your entire year of grades will come from 60-100 MC and a couple short answer questions. Nothing at all was made clear about the way the school assesses in the application period. I came to this school to be pushed hard as a student and I don't feel like I've gotten that at all. In fact lots of my classmates actively **** on people for working hard, encourage barely scraping a pass, nobody shows up to lecture or group discussion sessions or when they do they are extremely disruptive and loud. There isn't enough space for the number of students on campus, rotation groups are massively overfull and they're just increasing the class size. Because nobody shows up to things the school is transitioning more and more lecture content into online learning modules so not only are you not getting as much lecture time, you don't actually get feedback to ensure you know the material.
If I wanted to go teach myself medicine on msdvet I would've gone to a school that charges me less than 70k USD to do it.
The issue with getting next to no feedback or correction is that the overall understanding of important concepts is just not there, there's no consistency.
That does sound a little worrying to me. Have you tried reaching out to professors? How are their availabilities outside of class? Is it possible to ask them questions after class?

I have visited RVC campuses last year. I would agree that Camden campus is a little small, but it doesn't seem crowded. The classrooms are big and there are nice study spaces (although less private than I liked). Hawkshead campus is really big though, and there is a new building under construction. I also know some students enrolled in RVC, they seem to be happy with the EMS and rotations they get. I understand what I saw may be limited and don't necessarily reflect the truth...but that's what I generally liked what I saw and heard from the school. The tuition is indeed very expensive, that's why I don't want to rush my decision ignoring even the smallest concern I have. It might be helpful to hear from other students. Does anyone know an RVC current student forum?

to be paying that much in tuition and being given online class is ridiculous and I agree seems to be a major flaw to their curriculum

I have visited RVC campuses last year. I would agree that Camden campus is a little small, but it doesn't seem crowded. The classrooms are big and there are nice study spaces (although less private than I liked). Hawkshead campus is really big though, and there is a new building under construction. I also know some students enrolled in RVC, they seem to be happy with the EMS and rotations they get. I understand what I saw may be limited and don't necessarily reflect the truth...but that's what I generally liked what I saw and heard from the school. The tuition is indeed very expensive, that's why I don't want to rush my decision ignoring even the smallest concern I have. It might be helpful to hear from other students. Does anyone know an RVC current student forum?

I agree. Each program isn’t for everyone but everyone I’ve talked to that goes there is happy. Seems like it’s just dependent on how you learn and stuff like that. Im not aware of one but let me know if you find a forum I’d be curious to hear from others.

Last edited:
I had no clue it was 70k, I thought they told us ~50k
So the tuition fees are around 56,019 USD with the conversion right now. This is just tuition fees and includes nothing else so books, housing, and other accommodations. In comparison to some US schools this is still not a bad deal at all lol. I think there are schools in the US that oos will put you into 400,000k debt range

That does sound a little worrying to me. Have you tried reaching out to professors? How are their availabilities outside of class? Is it possible to ask them questions after class?
The professors are the saving grace of the school. They're absolutely lovely, generally great teachers and most of them are very approachable with questions using this online system called padlet. They're also massive experts in their fields, I can't fault the schools expertise.

Who else is anxiously waiting for an answer from Edinburgh? ✋🏻✋🏻

So the tuition fees are around 56,019 USD with the conversion right now. This is just tuition fees and includes nothing else so books, housing, and other accommodations. In comparison to some US schools this is still not a bad deal at all lol. I think there are schools in the US that oos will put you into 400,000k debt range
Hello everyone, I went to RVC 2018-2022 in the accelerated programme, and I loved my experiences in the UK.
I got the below fee table from UC Davis site (Cost of Attendance - DVM 2023-24). I basically put it into excel and filled in the estimate for RVC based on my own experiences. There will be variabilities of course based on individuals' needs/lifestyle/course (4 vs 5 year programme) as well as exchange rates but happy to answer any questions you may have.

Below table for RVC explained - prices for the most part were converted with current exchange rates GBP to USD
1) Tuition seem to be going up by roughly $1000 USD every year since I went
2) Health insurance is paid in full on your visa application, I only spread it out over 4 years for better visual. Currently is 776 pounds per year for Student visa holders
3) Food is based on roughly 300 pounds in groceries per month, rent is based on student accommodation rent estimate from my research of current year. Rent 1st year is high due to London. But in Hawkshead for year 2-4 is a lot cheaper, I'd estimate roughly 600 pounds/month on the middle-high end of rent for year 2-4.
4) Personal expenses, London is pricey depending on what you wanna do. It' also a central travel hub so expect to do some (a lot) of travelling, but like I said this is based on your lifestyle. You can literally fly to France/Denmark/Italy for a weekend for like 50 pounds. Frankly I beliebve if you are living in London first year you should enjoy it. Expenses for year 2-4 will be mainly based on your EMS (Externships) which you will need 26 weeks of. Where you set that up is up to the students.
5) Transportation for school, RVC buses are free for students. If you live further from campus, or need to take the trains or get a car to go to school is up to individuals. But I did not have a car during my 4 years and got by.
6) RVC when I went was paperless, there will be ZERO textbooks you will HAVE to purchase. Whatever you need can be rented out at the school library. $300 per year is mainly for lab coats, boiler suits, stethoscopes, and anyextra materials you may or may not need.

Take the bottom fee table with a grain of salt, things can change next few years, but I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have. My experience is a bit different since I half was in lockdown, but for the most part the below I believe is a good estimate.

Expenses (UC Davis)1st Yr.2nd Yr.3rd Yr.4th Yr.Expenses (RVC) 1st Yr. (London)2nd Yr. Hawskhead Campus3rd Yr.4th Yr.
Tuition & Fees (1)$34,397$34,397$34,397$38,745Tuition & Fees (1)$56,558$57,558$58,558$60,000
Health Insurance$6,186$6,186$6,186$6,186Health Insurance (Part of your Visa Paid in full before UK)$983$983$983$983
Housing & Food (2)$19,647$19,647$19,647$23,595Housing & Food (2)$21,972$13,694$14,000$14,300
Personal Expenses$2,240$2,240$2,240$2,677Personal Expenses$6,000$3,200$3,200$3,200
Transportation$3,173$3,173$3,173$3,461Transportation (To school)$0$0$0$0
Books and Supplies$3,795$2,270$3,420$4,579Books and Supplies$300$300$300$300
Total for California Residents
(includes health insurance)
$69,438$67,913$69,063$79,243Total$85,813$75,735$77,041$78,783
Nonresident Supplemental Tuition
(for California nonresidents)
$12,245$12,245$12,245$12,245
Total for Non-residents
$81,683$80,158$81,308$91,488

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone, I went to RVC 2018-2022 in the accelerated programme, and I loved my experiences in the UK.
I got the below fee table from UC Davis site (Cost of Attendance - DVM 2023-24). I basically put it into excel and filled in the estimate for RVC based on my own experiences. There will be variabilities of course based on individuals' needs/lifestyle/course (4 vs 5 year programme) as well as exchange rates but happy to answer any questions you may have.

Below table for RVC explained - prices for the most part were converted with current exchange rates GBP to USD
1) Tuition seem to be going up by roughly $1000 USD every year since I went
2) Health insurance is paid in full on your visa application, I only spread it out over 4 years for better visual. Currently is 776 pounds per year for Student visa holders
3) Food is based on roughly 300 pounds in groceries per month, rent is based on student accommodation rent estimate from my research of current year. Rent 1st year is high due to London. But in Hawkshead for year 2-4 is a lot cheaper, I'd estimate roughly 600 pounds/month on the middle-high end of rent for year 2-4.
4) Personal expenses, London is pricey depending on what you wanna do. It' also a central travel hub so expect to do some (a lot) of travelling, but like I said this is based on your lifestyle. You can literally fly to France/Denmark/Italy for a weekend for like 50 pounds. Frankly I beliebve if you are living in London first year you should enjoy it. Expenses for year 2-4 will be mainly based on your EMS (Externships) which you will need 26 weeks of. Where you set that up is up to the students.
5) Transportation for school, RVC buses are free for students. If you live further from campus, or need to take the trains or get a car to go to school is up to individuals. But I did not have a car during my 4 years and got by.
6) RVC when I went was paperless, there will be ZERO textbooks you will HAVE to purchase. Whatever you need can be rented out at the school library. $300 per year is mainly for lab coats, boiler suits, stethoscopes, and anyextra materials you may or may not need.

Take the bottom fee table with a grain of salt, things can change next few years, but I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have. My experience is a bit different since I half was in lockdown, but for the most part the below I believe is a good estimate.

Expenses (UC Davis)1st Yr.2nd Yr.3rd Yr.4th Yr.Expenses (RVC)1st Yr. (London)2nd Yr. Hawskhead Campus3rd Yr.4th Yr.
Tuition & Fees (1)$34,397$34,397$34,397$38,745Tuition & Fees (1)$56,558$57,558$58,558$60,000
Health Insurance$6,186$6,186$6,186$6,186Health Insurance (Part of your Visa Paid in full before UK)$983$983$983$983
Housing & Food (2)$19,647$19,647$19,647$23,595Housing & Food (2)$21,972$13,694$14,000$14,300
Personal Expenses$2,240$2,240$2,240$2,677Personal Expenses$6,000$3,200$3,200$3,200
Transportation$3,173$3,173$3,173$3,461Transportation (To school)$0$0$0$0
Books and Supplies$3,795$2,270$3,420$4,579Books and Supplies$300$300$300$300
Total for California Residents
$69,438$67,913$69,063$79,243Total$85,813$75,735$77,041$78,783
Nonresident Supplemental Tuition
(for California nonresidents)
$12,245$12,245$12,245$12,245
Total for Non-residents
$81,683$80,158$81,308$91,488
Hello! Thank you so much for sharing that information! Would you mind talking about how you feel about the course structure? I know it's very self-motivated, but I'm wondering about the availability of professors after class for answering questions or giving feedbacks. If you like, would you also talk a little about your EMS experience? Was it hard to get into your first choice? (for you and your peers) Did you get any clinical skill practice on life animals before entering your fourth year?

Hello! Thank you so much for sharing that information! Would you mind talking about how you feel about the course structure? I know it's very self-motivated, but I'm wondering about the availability of professors after class for answering questions or giving feedbacks. If you like, would you also talk a little about your EMS experience? Was it hard to get into your first choice? (for you and your peers) Did you get any clinical skill practice on life animals before entering your fourth year?
Yea so the course is structured in a way where basically your grades are essentially weighed by a big final every year. Mine were online, but it may be back in person now. So you really have to keep yourself on task with studying and keeping up with the material.

Professors are all very lovely and knowledgeable in my experience. Have had a few where we would just chat during lunch at RVC cafeterias. And also a few times where certain professors get invited to my friends' birthday parties and show up haha and you are talking with them with a drink haha, it is definitely a different vibe for sure.

EMS experience for me was mostly during lockdown, basically you set up 2-4 weeks with clinics of your choice. I took it as a chance for me to explore the country so I have had EMS in England, Wales, and Scotland and I made the most out of my time, it is as simple as shooting an email with your resume and sorting out the dates with the EMS practice you want to go (as long as the clinic fits RVC's EMS practice guidelines). I had some limited clinical skills but like i said, was very limited by COVID restrictions for me personally, but I have had friends who did EMS in the states and also in less restrictive countries prior to 4th year.

• Love
Just got waitlisted at RVC :/ . Not sure how much hope to hold onto, but thought I’d give you all the update since I feel like we’re in this together at this point, haha.

• Care
Just got waitlisted at RVC :/ . Not sure how much hope to hold onto, but thought I’d give you all the update since I feel like we’re in this together at this point, haha.
Got waitlisted to RVC this morning as well :/ does anyone know if their list tends to move much?

Got waitlisted to RVC this morning as well :/ does anyone know if their list tends to move much?
Not sure about the 4yr program, but last year for the 5 year course 21 out of 33 waitlisted people got offers.

Also a random question, when does the fall semester start for RVC? I was trying to find an academic calender but couldn't

Also a random question, when does the fall semester start for RVC? I was trying to find an academic calender but couldn't
Classes in the UK start in September, if I remember correctly, Bristol's start week is September 15th, so RVC is probably around the same date.

I'm conflicted. I want to study in the UK, but I have a spot at SGU in their foundations to vet med program. I'm worried I'll fail that, but I am also worried about declining SGU and waiting 18 months (to work) and apply to through UCAS only.