RVC/Dublin/Glasgow/Edinburgh/Bristol c/o 2028 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rejected from Bristol as well ): still waiting for my instate school but have an acceptance from Ross.

I kinda just wish I could wake up from a bad dream or that it was a mistake. I did email them how I can improve my application

Members don't see this ad :)
I kinda just wish I could wake up from a bad dream or that it was a mistake. I did email them how I can improve my application
You might get different opinions from other people but I’m honestly a firm believer in “just go where you get in” being bull****. If you truly do not think you will thrive at a program DO NOT GO!! Do not waste the money and hard work for you to be MISERABLE. I think the “go where you get in” mantra only works if you don’t care too much about where you go. If SGU is gonna make you miserable I wouldn’t do it (if it was me!!)

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I just want to say I've seen you on here so much, and how badly you wanted this! This is not the end for you :)!! Your dedication and passion for your dream will not go unnoticed- it's not if but when!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm conflicted. I want to study in the UK, but I have a spot at SGU in their foundations to vet med program. I'm worried I'll fail that, but I am also worried about declining SGU and waiting 18 months (to work) and apply to through UCAS only.
What's motivating you so badly to want to study in the UK?

I’m from Oklahoma, we do not have a good school system in general, our teachers and professors are under paid, our veterinary school is not fantastic. I want to go someone where that I feel like I’ll be getting my moneys worth, the US has to high of standard for anyone to make. As for the UK it’ll allow me to follow my dreams since I was a little girl, I’ve done my research on every school in the UK. I appreciate the different teaching styles, I also would like to be able to practice in Europe as well as US if I so wanted to. I know you don’t like the school you are currently attending, but I know what I’m getting myself into. My husband also supports the choice, he loves the idea of each schools does. I also want to give my children a better ish life. I also want to research felines specifically reproduction, I can’t do that at Ross or SGU

I’m from Oklahoma, we do not have a good school system in general, our teachers and professors are under paid, our veterinary school is not fantastic. I want to go someone where that I feel like I’ll be getting my moneys worth, the US has to high of standard for anyone to make. As for the UK it’ll allow me to follow my dreams since I was a little girl, I’ve done my research on every school in the UK. I appreciate the different teaching styles, I also would like to be able to practice in Europe as well as US if I so wanted to. I know you don’t like the school you are currently attending, but I know what I’m getting myself into. My husband also supports the choice, he loves the idea of each schools does. I also want to give my children a better ish life. I also want to research felines specifically reproduction, I can’t do that at Ross or SGU

I understand you. I want to experience life abroad & get myself out of my comfort zone. You only have one life, & for me, I’ll never be able to live abroad other than now! My rejection from RVC devastated me. I’m waitlisted at TTU (IS) but not relying on that & also kind of prefer to just apply again to more UK schools. I say follow your heart—it is scary knowing the risks, but my mentor said “vet school is already hard enough, you don’t want to be somewhere you’re (possibly) miserable at.” Best of luck to you. (PS I have interests in reproduction too! But canine :))

• Love

I understand you. I want to experience life abroad & get myself out of my comfort zone. You only have one life, & for me, I’ll never be able to live abroad other than now! My rejection from RVC devastated me. I’m waitlisted at TTU (IS) but not relying on that & also kind of prefer to just apply again to more UK schools. I say follow your heart—it is scary knowing the risks, but my mentor said “vet school is already hard enough, you don’t want to be somewhere you’re (possibly) miserable at.” Best of luck to you. (PS I have interests in reproduction too! But canine :))
I love that. I had to do a research paper for capstone last year, I wanted to focus on felines to gain a better understanding on an animal that isn’t talking much especially for my degree. I knew so much about canines because I grew up with only dogs, my degree specifically focuses on livestock, so when I went to felines I wanted to look at infertility specifically and I saw there is not much information on it, that’s what gave me the motivation to be like okay. I want to be a DVM, then try to work at a CVM while doing research

I love that. I had to do a research paper for capstone last year, I wanted to focus on felines to gain a better understanding on an animal that isn’t talking much especially for my degree. I knew so much about canines because I grew up with only dogs, my degree specifically focuses on livestock, so when I went to felines I wanted to look at infertility specifically and I saw there is not much information on it, that’s what gave me the motivation to be like okay. I want to be a DVM, then try to work at a CVM while doing research
You won't be a DVM going to a UK school just so you know. Lots of students have hang ups about this and although the degrees are equivalent for licensing purposes, you cannot call yourself DVM having gone to a UK school.
It also sounds like you're a mature applicant like I was. I found it incredibly challenging being in a class full of people a decade younger than me and you'll find that at any UK school because it's mostly a first entry program and the students have just never done higher education before.

• Inappropriate
Hey I saw your hopes for Bristol over the past few weeks, and I’m so sorry you didn’t get in but honestly it is not the end! You can always apply again, if you’re more keen on going to Europe for vet school then you can apply to a multiple of them next cycle
What’s interesting to me is that some people would swear the US education system for vetmed is far more advanced than anywhere else in the world, and the fact that the Caribbean schools offer the most important year (clinical) in the US then you’re set for success for sure
But that just some opinions of some vets I work with, they developed those opinions based on their personal experience working w vets thag graduated from the US vs the UK
I would say follow your heart AND HEAD cuz the most important is to go to school that will train you the best to succeed, that’s all that matters, vet school itself is 4-5years but you will be the vet they train you for the rest of your life

You won't be a DVM going to a UK school just so you know. Lots of students have hang ups about this and although the degrees are equivalent for licensing purposes, you cannot call yourself DVM having gone to a UK school.
It also sounds like you're a mature applicant like I was. I found it incredibly challenging being in a class full of people a decade younger than me and you'll find that at any UK school because it's mostly a first entry program and the students have just never done higher education before.
You still get the title of Dr. despite not being in a DVM program

Reactions: 3 users
This!! I work (in the US) alongside a Dublin grad and not only is she an excellent doctor, but she’s also given the same respect as any US- taught DVM. So what, you have a different set of letters at the end of your name. You still have the same ability to practice medicine under the same set of guidelines. Honestly most staff and clients don’t even realize she isn’t ~technically~ a DVM but an MVB instead.

Don’t let anyone stop you from pursuing your dreams. It’s *your* dream after all, not theirs. 😊

Members don't see this ad :)
Well first off, I am not that mature of a student. Most of the students I have in class with me are at most 4 years younger than me. I am only considered a mature student, because I have three kids. I am only 25, I am not that old.

This!! I work (in the US) alongside a Dublin grad and not only is she an excellent doctor, but she’s also given the same respect as any US- taught DVM. So what, you have a different set of letters at the end of your name. You still have the same ability to practice medicine under the same set of guidelines. Honestly most staff and clients don’t even realize she isn’t ~technically~ a DVM but an MVB instead.

Don’t let anyone stop you from pursuing your dreams. It’s *your* dream after all, not theirs. 😊
Honestly, I am so sick and tired of 5Hs5Ts raining on everyone's parade when it comes to the UK schools, I understand they aren't enjoying RVC, but they are just a negative Nellie.

Reactions: 4 users
Well first off, I am not that mature of a student. Most of the students I have in class with me are at most 4 years younger than me. I am only considered a mature student, because I have three kids. I am only 25, I am not that old.
25 is YOUNG!! Plus I think you have a huge advantage being a mother because you know how to multi task and keep yourself organized. You’ll have much more maturity and knowledge about life than some other applicants which will be helpful in the long run 🤣

Right, but you can't call yourself a DVM because "Dr" is a clinical environment title afforded by license and not by your degree.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Right, but you can't call yourself a DVM because "Dr" is a clinical environment title afforded by license and not by your degree.
Okay. My main question for you, why do you insist on going to everyone who wants to apply for vet school in the UK. We all have read your reasons over and over again about why you hate RVC. Not every school is like RVC, not everyone will fit in each program. You are already in the program, and you are coming on here to crap talk RVC to applicants. I guess, I just do not understand how you are being so immature about the situation you are in and bringing people down. You are being EXTREMELY rude to everyone on this thread. None of us have asked you for your unsolicited advice. I sure as heck didn't. I answered your question about why I want to go to school in the UK, but yet you continue to belittle the situation. I had my heart broken into a million piece on Wednesday, you coming here and crap talking about what I want to do is not plain rude. You claim you are a mature student with kids being about a decade younger than you in class, but you are not acting like it.

Correct you don’t call yourself DVM but you call yourself whatever letters your school uses which when finding jobs works exactly the same as a DVM if you pass the NAVLE

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Okay. My main question for you, why do you insist on going to everyone who wants to apply for vet school in the UK. We all have read your reasons over and over again about why you hate RVC. Not every school is like RVC, not everyone will fit in each program. You are already in the program, and you are coming on here to crap talk RVC to applicants. I guess, I just do not understand how you are being so immature about the situation you are in and bringing people down. You are being EXTREMELY rude to everyone on this thread. None of us have asked you for your unsolicited advice. I sure as heck didn't. I answered your question about why I want to go to school in the UK, but yet you continue to belittle the situation. I had my heart broken into a million piece on Wednesday, you coming here and crap talking about what I want to do is not plain rude. You claim you are a mature student with kids being about a decade younger than you in class, but you are not acting like it.
I'm sorry to hear you got rejected in any case. I'm not here targeting you specifically about RVC I'm just talking openly about the reasons why many students in my program are frustrated with the school. They do great marketing and love to play up their ranking but I'd prefer to highlight to people that it's a big crock and actually you should just go to the cheapest school available to you. There are a lot of negatives to the UK teaching system as well, and I know you say you've researched it but until you're in it you won't get a realistic perspective. I put RVC on a pedestal when I was looking at where to go and it was one of the biggest disappointments of my life. I'd prefer to save someone else from that. If it's the only offer you get them obviously go there.

I'm sorry to hear you got rejected in any case. I'm not here targeting you specifically about RVC I'm just talking openly about the reasons why many students in my program are frustrated with the school. They do great marketing and love to play up their ranking but I'd prefer to highlight to people that it's a big crock and actually you should just go to the cheapest school available to you. There are a lot of negatives to the UK teaching system as well, and I know you say you've researched it but until you're in it you won't get a realistic perspective. I put RVC on a pedestal when I was looking at where to go and it was one of the biggest disappointments of my life. I'd prefer to save someone else from that. If it's the only offer you get them obviously go there.
Like others have said, just because it’s your only offer doesn’t mean you have to take it. Vet school is hard enough, I work with vet students and DVMs, they told me how hard vet school, you shouldn’t go to a school that’s going to make you miserable. I’m sorry you are having a horrible time.

Like others have said, just because it’s your only offer doesn’t mean you have to take it. Vet school is hard enough, I work with vet students and DVMs, they told me how hard vet school, you shouldn’t go to a school that’s going to make you miserable. I’m sorry you are having a horrible time.
The thing is I truly thought RVC would make me happy, so much so that I decided not to apply for my regional school for another round which would've cost me a quarter of the tuition. I think it's much harder for those who have already done post secondary study because they have a frame of reference for what higher education should feel like, and I think many of the second entry students especially would tell you that our school has many issues. Extremely self motivated students probably get a good amount out of this school for sure.

I have been watching your posts for months and feel as though I need to weigh in and agree with Ashlynn. Enough already. You are giving your often unasked for and highly negative opinion. You don’t seem to be on here to assist as you claim, but rather to gripe continuously about how the school has let you down and belittle it. Someone shares disappointment that they didn’t get in and you shoot back with “ you dont want to come here anyway.” There is a big difference between giving feedback for consideration and just tearing down a program because it hasn’t lived up to your expectations. Maybe no program would have for you, who knows. There are a lot of people out there who share that they love the school hence it is not a “ big crock” it is just not the greatest experience for you and likely some others. I just politely ask that you consider not continuing to do this to the students on this thread.

• Love
Thank you for sharing your experience at RVC, it does make me consider more carefully about whether the program is the one for me. However, when people are experiencing frustration in the thread, negative opinion is really the last thing we need. You've given your input and enough is enough. I couldn't think of any program where one can succeed without being self-motivated. I really hope you would get the help you need and make this degree work for you.

• Love
It also sounds like you're a mature applicant like I was. I found it incredibly challenging being in a class full of people a decade younger than me and you'll find that at any UK school because it's mostly a first entry program and the students have just never done higher education befor
your BVM is a DVM-equivalent degree, this is a non issue. Most practices will put DVM next to your name regardless on business cards and websites and has never been a problem for me or any of my colleagues in the states.

Only thing US practices will want to clarify and it's the same with any oversea school is a short question of whether it's AVMA accredited or whether you need to go through the ECFVG process simply because a lot are still unfamiliar with the UK schools.

I was in my mid-late 20s when I went to RVC. Unless you are in the 5/6 year programme most of your 1st year will be with people in their early mid 20s with a previous degree, which would make the good core of your peers if you would like to associate with more people your age. It's only during 2nd/3rd year when the classes start mingling and it's honestly never been a problem for me since they are also bright individuals going through the course together.

• Love
Hey everyone, I graduated in 2022 from RVC. I also was briefly at one of the island schools for a semester as well so I actually have a little bit of a comparison. I would be more than happy to answer your questions here or in DMs.

I had a great experience there and 100% felt like I made the right decision. Although currently I am in the states, I do plan on moving back to the UK eventually to be a vet because I loved everything about my RVC experience and life in the UK.

To knock out a few big questions...
I know there's a lot of "concerns" about the exam system at RVC. It is a big multi-part exam exam end of the year with a combination of oral portion, practicals, multiple choice, essay-like prompt scenarios (depending on the year you are in). But everything flows in a way where it'll make sense and in my opinion better prepares you on how to think and process scenarios as a vet in the real world. The non-UK schools on the otherhand are more or less evaluated on repeated midterm-midterm-midterm-final generally most if not all on multiple choice questions that are aimed towards passing the NAVLE. Sure the NAVLE pass rates may be higher in those schools, and for a lot of US/Canada students this is what matters to them the most and there's nothing wrong with that. But literally ask any vet that has taken the NAVLE and I am willing to bet money that 95%+ of those vets will tell you the NAVLE was a terrible hurdle and not a good gauge of your abilities as a vet.

Also bear in mind at the end of the day RVC is still a UK school geared toward UK/European students, NAVLE is still relatively secondary (changing now with more international students admissions) and there will be quite a few things like diseases, conditions etc that will be covered more in-depth and some less-detailed in regards to materials for the NAVLE. As I have stated before you will have a lot of responsibility with you keeping up with the material and this will be difficult for some students who are used to a system of constant examinations to keep up.

Professors - Almost all of not all of the professors and clinicians are lovely and want you to learn. RVC is not just a highly ranked prestigious school by luck year after year, a lot of the clinicians are amongst the top of their field. I hear stories from my colleagues in their work/internships discussing what their courses was like to their colleagues/seniors, and it was not uncommon to hear " Oh wow you worked with Dr. ____?! I've read a lot of their books/seminars/lectures on XYZ subjects etc, what was that like?".
While I was job hunting, some of the doctors and managers that I interviewed with were more interested in hearing about my experiences and were impressed by how prestigious the school is, so it was definitely a huge + imo.

Health and wellbeing - RVC is very accomodating to your wellbeing in my experience. Although there will be times where you are overwhelmed with the material and school life (as with any school), I think they have for the most part done a great job being accomodating and listening to students' needs.
Some little things including but not limited to.... Wheelchair access are all around the campus, during 2nd or 3rd year you will be placed in a student group 6:1 (Could be less now) with a professor/resident to discuss any concerns every couple of weeks, every Wednesday is a half-day for sports, catching up on school work, socials, nightlife, whatever you want really for that life balance. And in general most if not all of what you need to succeed is included in the tuition vs a lot of the "hidden fees" (Textbooks, learning materials, transportation, etc) I felt I wasn't prepared signing up for when I went to school in the US.

This is just a short list of many things, happy to discuss and answer anyone of my experiences.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

That is so exciting! Feline reproduction has a special place in my heart too. I’ll see you next cycle on these threads, & I know we’ll both get into our dream schools then.

• Care
Are there any Canadians here that have applied for any UK school? I know our situation is definitely different than in the US and would love to chat with someone who’s going through the same process as me.

Are there any Canadians here that have applied for any UK school? I know our situation is definitely different than in the US and would love to chat with someone who’s going through the same process as me.
Here! From Quebec, applied and got into Glasgoww, I woud love to chat!

To you guys who applied, would you mind sharing your stats/gpa/hours? I'm thinking of applying next cycle but I can't seem to find any class data like American schools usually have. I know they have minimum requirements, but I was wondering if they accept people around that range or if it's much more competitive. Just trying to decide if it's worth my time + money to apply or not. I would appreciate any insight at all!

To you guys who applied, would you mind sharing your stats/gpa/hours? I'm thinking of applying next cycle but I can't seem to find any class data like American schools usually have. I know they have minimum requirements, but I was wondering if they accept people around that range or if it's much more competitive. Just trying to decide if it's worth my time + money to apply or not. I would appreciate any insight at all!
I applied for a UK school where I was actually slightly below the required GPA (however the GPA conversion from the UK is kinda confusing) but I managed to get a handful of interviews because I have a good amount of animal experience. I think as long as you have a good application, even if you are lacking in GPA or something else, they would still look at interviewing

Anyone else here not heard from Bristol? Starting to think something went wrong w my app bc they don’t respond to my emails asking about it as well 😕

Anyone else here not heard from Bristol? Starting to think something went wrong w my app bc they don’t respond to my emails asking about it as well 😕
No news from them either since December where they said I was on hold…

ive also been on hold since december and have heard nothing since then

Y'all are probably okay. If you haven't heard thats a good thing. No news means that you haven't been rejected :')

Schools keep throwing me for a loop bc all the timelines are pushed like a month later than every other cycle

• Care
I haven't had a read through the whole thread, so not sure if it's been mentioned - but the UK has recently decided to prohibit most student visa holders from bringing dependents with them to the UK. Worth doing some research into this if any of you were planning to bring dependents:

Just received acceptance to Edinburgh!!

Thank youuu!! It was my first choice I’m so relieved. I interviewed in NY on Feb 13!

I also just got an offer from Edinburgh! I was interviewed in San Francisco on the 4th of Feb

Who else will bring their dog to Edinburgh? I am so nervous because it seems difficult to find pet friendly housing there…

Last edited:
Anyone who has been reject from Bristol, has anyone emailed them asking how to improve your application? I emailed the same day and I have yet to hear back from them and its been a week.:unsure:

Did anyone hear from Edinburgh today? Someone I know got a rejection. Wondering if they sent out all the offers yesterday and are now sending rejections...

yes i got rejected this morning from edinburgh as well. best of luck to yall still waiting!

Did anyone hear from Edinburgh today? Someone I know got a rejection. Wondering if they sent out all the offers yesterday and are now sending rejections...
I got rejected today