RVC/Dublin/Glasgow/Edinburgh/Bristol c/o 2028 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RVC is an amazing school you have a fantastic option! When did you hear from Bristol?
RVC is definitely not an amazing school, it's actually an incredibly frustrating place to study

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted on Jan 26th for Bristol and applied through VMCAS. I am not going to accept the offer so good luck to everyone who is waiting!
A that’s awesome you got accepted! That’s the school I am waiting on. If you don’t mind me asking, why are you not accepting their offer?

RVC is definitely not an amazing school, it's actually an incredibly frustrating place to study
I’m sorry you had such a poor experience there. I have a great friend who goes there now and thoroughly enjoys it. Not every program is for everyone it seems :/

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you explain why you feel this way? Most people thoroughly enjoy it but I also like hearing what some people don’t like, but like the other person says not every program is for everyone so I try not to let others sway my decisions.

Written exam feedback is poor quality/doesn't make sense, the course seems super unstable because they change it so regularly, we only get exams once per year so I don't actually feel like I know what I should know, if you take the accelerated course they seem to just drop a lot of important content and expect you to figure out what it is you missed out on by yourself, next to no surgical training and no high-fidelity modelling instead, they expect you to learn a lot of stuff on EMS however there's no assurance of consistency in EMS so it's entirely on students to pick good placements and advocate for their own learning, objective standardized exam grading is wrong too frequently, they do a large portion of their teaching through group discussion sessions but these are either so large or so poorly attended that there is no quality or consistency to the sessions, they seem to be actively cutting out lecture time in favour of these group discussions as well as online modules, there are very few opportunities to be assessed until it's your pass/fail exam on the line, the list goes on for me.

• Care
Radio silence from Bristol outside of marketing ads. This week for me. I’m afraid to email them and they get annoyed with me

With all these US schools releasing decisions in this last week and next week I’m begging for like a sliver of good news from these UK ones 😵‍💫

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
With all these US schools releasing decisions in this last week and next week I’m begging for like a sliver of good news from these UK ones 😵‍💫
Oh honey same. I need to have a decision by April 5th because that's when the deposit for SGU is due.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is so weird having the website open and not getting any news from anyone! Has anyone heard good news, bad news or neutral news? I would love to celebrate anyone's victories as I am waiting for the UK schools to make a decision!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got denied entry to RVC 4 year program for 2024 but offered a spot for the 4 year program in 2025

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I had no idea that was an option! That is so cool! Congratulations on that spot for 2025! It is Fall right?
Yea I had no clue that was a thing and yes it’s for September 2025! I am fortunate enough to have other acceptances from my IS and other US schools so now have to decide to wait a whole year to start or go ahead and get started. Leaning towards just staying in the US to get it done with.

• Love
Yea I had no clue that was a thing and yes it’s for September 2025! I am fortunate enough to have other acceptances from my IS and other US schools so now have to decide to wait a whole year to start or go ahead and get started. Leaning towards just staying in the US to get it done with.
That’s awesome still. I am waiting for Bristol, so I am just glad someone got to hear from a UK school today.

• Care
That’s awesome still. I am waiting for Bristol, so I am just glad someone got to hear from a UK school today.
I really hope you hear back soon as well, I’ve seen how badly you want it so I’m sending all good luck and wishes to you!!

• Love
Has anyone emailed about an update on their application to any of the UK schools?
I haven’t I sent a few emails a few months ago and I’m worried about coming off annoying HAHA but I know in my logical brain that isn’t possible for them

I haven’t I sent a few emails a few months ago and I’m worried about coming off annoying HAHA but I know in my logical brain that isn’t possible for them
I last emailed them in December. I’m just super worried to be annoying, my husband was like “emailing them isn’t going to make them want you anymore than when you don’t email them.” But I also want them to know I mean business.

I last emailed them in December. I’m just super worried to be annoying, my husband was like “emailing them isn’t going to make them want you anymore than when you don’t email them.” But I also want them to know I mean business.
I think if your last email was in December with them you definitely could email again! Your husband is pretty right honestly because the people answering admissions emails are usually not the people making admissions decisions. Also it’s your CAREER! You have a right to mean business haha

I think if your last email was in December with them you definitely could email again! Your husband is pretty right honestly because the people answering admissions emails are usually not the people making admissions decisions. Also it’s your CAREER! You have a right to mean business haha
I just looked at my sent mail and the last time I emailed them was 12.19.2023, which was the day before my application was put on hold. LOL

Do we know the latest schools will send out decisions? I know my home state will send some in June. I just worry about visas, setting up a bank account, financial aid, and housing.

Do we know the latest schools will send out decisions? I know my home state will send some in June. I just worry about visas, setting up a bank account, financial aid, and housing.
It could be into the summer if you're ultimately placed on reserve which is UK version of waitlist. I know most places will have sent out decisions of acceptances and rejections in the past by end of March and then everyone who didnt receive one is on reserve list

• Care
For those that got accepted into RVC could you tell me what they estimated the cost of tuition to be? I’m getting different opinions on accepting my deferred admission but wanted to see financially would it be cheaper than my IS.

Also, does anyone know how much the deposit is for Bristol if you are accepted? Trying to save as much of my own money for vet school!

Also, does anyone know how much the deposit is for Bristol if you are accepted? Trying to save as much of my own money for vet school!
Deposits are usually between $500-1000 but I know Glasgow’s is 1000 pounds which is a little more than 1000 USD so it’s probably similar

• Love
Deposits are usually between $500-1000 but I know Glasgow’s is 1000 pounds which is a little more than 1000 USD so it’s probably similar
Beautiful! Thank you! I just know it isn't something I can find on the internet, so I was hoping some would know roughly!

I was looking into this and the UCAS general deadline is May 16 for all schools to submit decisions for those who sent in applications by the January deadline. They included the earlier vet school deadlines in their general timeline so I’m going to assume the May date is the latest we’ll possibly hear. I’m guessing deadlines to get off the waitlist will vary by school.

The good thing is that all of these schools take in a fair amount of international students, so there’s a high probability they wont make it impossible for admitted students to get their ducks in a row prior to the big move.

Edit: it might not be a bad idea to start making a checklist + ensure your passport is up to date if UK is your first choice? Some of it will apply to in country and out of country schools regarless ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love
I was looking into this and the UCAS general deadline is May 16 for all schools to submit decisions for those who sent in applications by the January deadline. They included the earlier vet school deadlines in their general timeline so I’m going to assume the May date is the latest we’ll possibly hear. I’m guessing deadlines to get off the waitlist will vary by school.

The good thing is that all of these schools take in a fair amount of international students, so there’s a high probability they wont make it impossible for admitted students to get their ducks in a row prior to the big move.

Edit: it might not be a bad idea to start making a checklist + ensure your passport is up to date if UK is your first choice? Some of it will apply to in country and out of country schools regarless ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I did get my passport for renewal. I was a minor when I first got my passport to travel to Guatemala, then I never traveled again. I also got married, and so it was just time to renew it. I am saving a lot of money from my paychecks for fees, I set up an Amazon wish list for friends/family, and I know it'll take roughly 6-8 weeks for my passport to be renewed, which is about beginning of April. I knew I would have to get it renewed, because the two schools I have already been accepted into are in the Caribbean, so either way I would need my passport for student visa. Oddly enough, I got accepted into two schools internationally and waiting for Bristol, but I couldn't even get an interview in the US :oops::rolleyes:

Has anyone heard anything from Glasgow about movement on the waitlist? I was notified that I was still on it a couple weeks ago, but haven't seen anyone else say anything about it since the waitlist first came out..

Has anyone heard anything from Glasgow about movement on the waitlist? I was notified that I was still on it a couple weeks ago, but haven't seen anyone else say anything about it since the waitlist first came out..
Hi,
I messaged them a couple of months ago and from what I understood, we won't have any news before everyone answers to their offer so in the area of March/April.

For those that got accepted into RVC could you tell me what they estimated the cost of tuition to be? I’m getting different opinions on accepting my deferred admission but wanted to see financially would it be cheaper than my IS.
I’m first year accelerated course and my tuition was 41,500 pounds. BUT you also need to consider the cost of the deposit which I think was 10% of the tuition (which gets deducted from the over all tuition for your first year), plus you need to pay for your visa costs, you need to pay for your NHS fee for all four years, you need to factor in the cost of travel and your belongings, you’ll need to figure out if you want to live in student housing or private accommodation(which is a pain in and of itself) and have enough cash to sustain you until you get your loan (which you won’t until the terms already started), I brought my cat over so if you want to do that that’s additional costs and a whole slew of other issues as well.
You’ll need to pay the deposit, the visa costs, and the NHS fee months ahead of time and I think that big lump sum was close to 9-10k usd all said and done. These costs can be factored into your loan so you can retroactively pay yourself back but bear in mind that your loan won’t come to you all in one big installment but 1/3 per term.

When everything is considered the upfront cost for the move alone is massive and it would be immensely easier to move within the US than to move overseas but tuition-wise it could be about the same as some other OOS schools. Your in state will ALWAYS be the cheapest option, in like 99% of cases, but if you really really hope to study overseas and experience a different culture and a way different teaching experience and you’ve got an additional year to save up then it might just be a good option for you. The conversion rate needs to be factored in and fees and tuition can fluctuate so take my rant more as an estimate.
You can also find out more precise info on the RVC web page but their website is kind of **** so expect to do some digging.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I’m first year accelerated course and my tuition was 41,500 pounds. BUT you also need to consider the cost of the deposit which I think was 10% of the tuition (which gets deducted from the over all tuition for your first year), plus you need to pay for your visa costs, you need to pay for your NHS fee for all four years, you need to factor in the cost of travel and your belongings, you’ll need to figure out if you want to live in student housing or private accommodation(which is a pain in and of itself) and have enough cash to sustain you until you get your loan (which you won’t until the terms already started), I brought my cat over so if you want to do that that’s additional costs and a whole slew of other issues as well.
You’ll need to pay the deposit, the visa costs, and the NHS fee months ahead of time and I think that big lump sum was close to 9-10k usd all said and done. These costs can be factored into your loan so you can retroactively pay yourself back but bear in mind that your loan won’t come to you all in one big installment but 1/3 per term.

When everything is considered the upfront cost for the move alone is massive and it would be immensely easier to move within the US than to move overseas but tuition-wise it could be about the same as some other OOS schools. Your in state will ALWAYS be the cheapest option, in like 99% of cases, but if you really really hope to study overseas and experience a different culture and a way different teaching experience and you’ve got an additional year to save up then it might just be a good option for you. The conversion rate needs to be factored in and fees and tuition can fluctuate so take my rant more as an estimate.
You can also find out more precise info on the RVC web page but their website is kind of **** so expect to do some digging.
Thank you so much for this! After also looking into these other expenses and cost to retake classes I just decided to stay in the US. Would’ve loved to go internationally but took this as my sign it wasn’t meant to be but I’m okay with that!

Would Edinburgh send out decisions before March? I really want to plan a school visit for spring break...

How hard was it setting up a bank once you knew you were going to RVC? I haven’t been accepted into Bristol, yet. However, I am just trying to play everything out and see what steps I need to take to move to England.

How hard was it setting up a bank once you knew you were going to RVC? I haven’t been accepted into Bristol, yet. However, I am just trying to play everything out and see what steps I need to take to move to England.
It really depends to be honest, it depends on the bank and and the schools and how flexible they are. The bank I wanted to go with was HSBC, and they were pretty stringent on their requirements. In addition, the school wasn’t really willing to provide the statements required to prove their visa sponsorship until you were actively enrolled in the course, ie the first day of the course. I can only speak to my experience about RVC though so I’m not sure how helpful Bristol is or is not in comparison. Everything kind of falls back on the school to some extent because they are the ones who are your sponsor. The only exception I could see would be if you got private housing and could produce a lease to prove your residence but you’d probably need a UK bank account to get a lease in the first place.
I would encourage you to look into requirements for opening bank accounts at different places more seriously once you know of your acceptance status and go from there

• Care
I sent this a while ago and I know people have heard back since so incase you want to join!

You're invited to my new group 'RVC accepted students!' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Got accepted by RVC's 5 year program 2 hours ago! Really happy although I'm not likely to go

• Care
Did they reply back to you?
Dear Ashlynn,

Thank you for your email.

I can see that we have not yet made a decision on your application to BVSc Veterinary Science: Accelerated Graduate Entry (D102).

Being put on hold doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with your application or your application is unsuccessful at this stage.

Please keep an eye on your email and a decision will be made as soon as we can.

We appreciate your patience during this process.

I hope this is helpful, but if you have further questions, please respond to this email and we will be happy to help.