Full Cost of Attendance at Mount Sinai vs. Yale?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Full ride Mount Sinai vs. Yale?

• Mount Sinai

• Yale

Results are only viewable after voting.

aspiringmd2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

This is my first post on SDN. I'm hoping to receive some advice on my medical school decision. I have been fortunate enough to have received admission to Yale and Mount Sinai, among other schools this cycle. Below is some of my background, as well as my pros/cons. I would appreciate hearing some helpful opinions from others. Please let me know what you think! P.S The biggest difference is cost (ZERO DOLLARS VERSUS ~60K PER YEAR) .

Background:
I attended an Ivy League institution. I am very acclimated to the big city life, but I also could see myself living in a smaller city that meets my needs. I am interested in becoming a dermatologist, so I know that I will need to perform well in medical school. I am interested in matching in residency in NYC (preferably) or in the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT). I am invested in serving underserved populations, and I am looking for a school with a diverse patient population and the opportunity to give back and volunteer.

Yale-
Pros: Great vibe on interview day, already did a summer program there so I have some connections/familiarity with the campus, no AOA, no shelf exams, 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum

Cons: I'm not sure how I will handle the transition from NYC to New Haven. Less access to other medical school students, Money

Mount Sinai-
Pros: Faculty seem very invested in their students, and they are also committed to nurturing well-rounded students, Money
Cons: Slightly less national recognition?, 2 year pre-clinical curriculum

Members don't see this ad.

yo, it's yale for sho. :sleep:

You'd want to thank me after 4 years when you don't have to worry about AOA selection for your top heavy "dermatology" match.

oh and did I mention full ride??!!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think I'd like the culture at Yale.. But depends on what you like!
Personally, I'd take the full ride to Sinai!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol no brainer. Sinai. Also, Yale isn't for everyone. I think ultimately you will be thankful you had a bit more structure and motivation to learn medicine well.

You directly contradict yourself 3 times as to which school is free. If it's Sinai, then go to Sinai for sure.

Really, I hope you are joking. I went to Yale for undergrad (now at Penn) and have a lot of Yale pride, but this shouldn't be a hard choice. I'd choose Sinai in a heartbeat. Depending on your financial situation, you are saving yourself 10 years of loan payments and a lot of stress. Sinai is a top 20 school in NYC. Everyone I know at Sinai loves it and no doors will be closed for you.

Since you did a summer program at Yale, you're probably familiar with it. Yale's focus is on research (top-notch) and definitely not on the underserved (but there are some opportunities i.e. HAVEN Free Clinic). Many of the faculty I spoke to complained about the comparably weak clinical training at the medical school. If you are considering Yale, it should be for the research, not for the underserved, diverse patient population, or clinical training (Sinai trumps Yale). That being said, if you want to be a physician-scientist and take a 50% pay-cut, the lack of debt will be invaluable. Plus, Sinai's research is also extremely good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hmm...I'm just curious, how do you perceive the Yale culture to be?
I've read a few SDN posts that linked their school's newspaper.. and it seems to be a very uppity-up (can't think of the right word) atmosphere there. Which may totally be fine for others, but I just know I wouldn't fit in well there. So it depends on who you are. If you came from an Ivy, it probably wouldn't be that different from what you were used to.

I've read a few SDN posts that linked their school's newspaper.. and it seems to be a very uppity-up (can't think of the right word) atmosphere there. Which may totally be fine for others, but I just know I wouldn't fit in well there. So it depends on who you are. If you came from an Ivy, it probably wouldn't be that different from what you were used to.
Lol, so you are making sweeping negative comments about the "culture" at Yale based on an impression you got from the undergrad school newspaper? This, ladies and gents, is why you should hesitate to trust things that you read on SDN.

I went to Yale for undergrad, and let me assure you that Yale students are the farthest thing from uppity. Even the undergrad culture is known for being one of the friendliest and happiest in the country. The medical students are particularly chill, probably because of the curriculum. You will find pretentious students no matter where you go, but there are no more at Yale than at any other school (perhaps even less). And FYI, everyone makes fun of the Yale Daily News.

That being said, I'd choose Sinai for the money and for the access to NYC's diversity of underserved patients.

Are both free? If so Yale. Otherwise Sinai.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then Sinai hands down. It's still a very well recognized school, and the lack of a debt burden will be huge.

Really, I hope you are joking. I went to Yale for undergrad (now at Penn) and have a lot of Yale pride, but this shouldn't be a hard choice. I'd choose Sinai in a heartbeat. Depending on your financial situation, you are saving yourself 10 years of loan payments and a lot of stress. Sinai is a top 20 school in NYC. Everyone I know at Sinai loves it and no doors will be closed for you.

Since you did a summer program at Yale, you're probably familiar with it. Yale's focus is on research (top-notch) and definitely not on the underserved (but there are some opportunities i.e. HAVEN Free Clinic). Many of the faculty I spoke to complained about the comparably weak clinical training at the medical school. If you are considering Yale, it should be for the research, not for the underserved, diverse patient population, or clinical training (Sinai trumps Yale). That being said, if you want to be a physician-scientist and take a 50% pay-cut, the lack of debt will be invaluable. Plus, Sinai's research is also extremely good.

Clinical training at every school is weak. It's not due to the school but because people have no time and are more concerned about legal issues than training the next generation
Yale has a great reputation and always matches well

Well technically not top 20 anymore ;)

Lol, so you are making sweeping negative comments about the "culture" at Yale based on an impression you got from the undergrad school newspaper? This, ladies and gents, is why you should hesitate to trust things that you read on SDN.

I went to Yale for undergrad, and let me assure you that Yale students are the farthest thing from uppity. Even the undergrad culture is known for being one of the friendliest and happiest in the country. The medical students are particularly chill, probably because of the curriculum. You will find pretentious students no matter where you go, but there are no more at Yale than at any other school (perhaps even less). And FYI, everyone makes fun of the Yale Daily News.

That being said, I'd choose Sinai for the money and for the access to NYC's diversity of underserved patients.
Quite the uppity comment though :rofl:

Now is this full ride including housing and other various living expenses? Not that it matters, I'd probably choose Sinai over Yale in your situation.

Expensive Yale or free SUNY would be a much more difficult choice. (I'd probably go Yale) But Sinai for free? Take it. Say Thank You! And run to NYC --

Helping the needy with Derm though? Anyone reminded of that Suburgatory episode?

You would be out of your head to not pick whichever is free.

Yea, I voted Yale. I misread where the money was. So add another to Sinai and subtract one from Yale. FWIW I interviewed (but did not match) at Yale for residency and the people seem awesome

The biggest difference is cost (ZERO DOLLARS VERSUS ~60K PER YEAR) .

The difference in quality/opportunities/research/training/education etc. between the two schools is essentially insignificant and definitely not worth 240K plus interest in the long run. So go for Sinai.

I'm curious as to why AOA is considered a bad thing. I understand that it may make the environment more competitive, but would you really be considered the same (from a school with no AOA) than having been in AOA (from a school that has it)?

Omg.. Please don't pass on your full ride at Mount Sinai... Idk why you are worried about National recognition when you want to match in NYC, and being at Mt. Sinai you'll have every resources you need to make connections and rotate/do research at other NYC institutions and match in Derm as long as your numbers are also good. Lets not forget to mention you're looking at ~300K difference (after interest). Thats like an expensive car + a down payment on a house. I don't feel like Yale is worth it.

I'm curious as to why AOA is considered a bad thing. I understand that it may make the environment more competitive, but would you really be considered the same (from a school with no AOA) than having been in AOA (from a school that has it)?

I think having AOA is better than not having AOA because your school doesn't have it.

That is because having AOA means that you were at the top of your school whereas if your school does not have AOA, it is unclear whether you were at the top of your class (maybe yes, maybe no).

With that being said, I think going to a school that does NOT offer AOA is better if you think you won't be at the top of your class in the preclinicals (and/or don't want to do the work to reach that point). That way, you can just do enough to pass and focus on other things (e.g., prepare for Step 1, do research, do other ECs, etc.) and you won't be explicitly penalized by the lack of AOA status.

It's the same argument for why most people prefer P/F over graded curriculum.

If you go to Yale make sure that your Halloween costume does not offend their super chill students

Reactions: 2 users
mt sinai has national recognition. It has top notch gi and a huge liver transplant program

Don't mean to hijack thread, but why is this student freaking out?
She's an undergrad student.

Although there are a couple (not many) loud people in our class too, most are very chill. There are chill students and gunners everywhere though, we just have the Yale system which selects for chill more heavily.