Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'm going to become a nurse and eventually be promoted to doctor." - No joke... When I was a senior in high school some girl had this brilliant idea."

It's surprising how often I've come across this, even while doing clinic or while I'm in the hospital. People actually do think it works like The Sims lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This is to your credit. So now I'd like to ask: Do you think everyone did that? (Hint: the answer is "no" and you have to look no farther than this thread to see that). And in the end, how did it change your approach? Did you intentionally not answer questions correctly based on what you learned about the process? Do you believe that people who didn't read up on it like you did would answer questions incorrectly on purpose? So, what did you gain from learning all about that process?
No, I think they stress themselves out over meaningless things, worry about curves which don't exist, and possibly change their dates to avoid being in the summer when 'the curve is harsher' (something many people say). Plus, in the end, they lose respect in conversations because game changing or not, being uninformed is not seen as a good thing.
Moreso, I judge people who don't even bother to learn the details about their own life's aspirations (and the path to them), and I gained my own respect.
At least in your head you do. And "hypothetical" isn't the right word here. Students learn enough to get by.
No, you very clearly implied that most people don't know the match algorithm. I do, which is my point. I know 'hypothetical' wasn't correct here, but what I was trying to imply is that, just because I am responding to your version of things, where most people don't bother to know jack, doesn't mean that I'm assuming that version is correct.
I shared that sentiment, but in the end, it really didn't help.
Maybe it didn't improve your Match, but that doesn't mean it didn't help.
I'm sorry if this discussion didn't go the way you hoped, but you should really consider working on your communication style. You've invented your own debate and assigned me a side. I don't think you're naive at all - of course people should inform themselves about important events in their lives. But that's never been the discussion here. This isn't about what people should do - it's about what they are doing. What they should do is a discussion for another time.
The discussion went fine - I'm not upset or hurt over it in any way. I DO feel that you were treating me as a naive person, perhaps because I WAS discussing whether people should do these things. You never once stated before that 'of course people should inform themselves about important events in their lives' prior to this...and that was ALL I was debating. I don't give a damn about what most people do do, I try to figure out what people should do and hold myself (and, yes, others) to that when possible.

Sounds like we were having two separate discussions and thinking we were in the same one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah I just thought of something else (it's a story not a quote but whatever).
This was my first biology class. The table we sat down with on the first day ended up being our assigned lab group of 4 people. This one girl at the table kept bragging about how she was going to become a surgeon EVERY SINGLE CLASS. So anyway, the professor announces that we're going to dissect pigs next week. The girl kept going on and on about how excited she was to actually "perform surgery." So fast forward to pig dissection day. The professor puts a fully intact tiny body of a piglet on the table and she lets out a blood curdling scream. She eventually calms down and grabs the scalpel before anyone else because she "needs the practice more than any of us." So she jabs the scalpel down and practically cuts the pig in half.
Thank goodness after that disaster the professor rearranged lab groups.

Reactions: 13 users
I get really shocked sometimes when I see pre-med peeps with such terrible lack of judgment on social media sites that AREN'T anonymous (like most all of SDN is). Recent examples:

Went to send a FB friend request to a pre-med girl that I'll be doing some traveling/volunteer work with in january, but whom i've never met. ZERO privacy settings in place, and not just one, but a whole slew of stumble-drunk photos on her profile. Some were even posted by her.

Randomly clicked on the instagram hashtag "#MCAT" the other day, and up came a super classy photo of a girl flipping off the camera with both hands (her face totally visible) captioned something like "F*** the MCAT!!" (i mean, I feel the same way, but would never put that kinda thing on IG)

Also--unrelated to the above, but I am getting increasingly irked when I see pre-med peers who wear scrubs to class/in public but have no actual reason to be wearing scrubs to class/in public

Reactions: 6 users
I get really shocked sometimes when I see pre-med peeps with such terrible lack of judgment on social media sites that AREN'T anonymous (like most all of SDN is). Recent examples:

Went to send a FB friend request to a pre-med girl that I'll be doing some traveling/volunteer work with in january, but whom i've never met. ZERO privacy settings in place, and not just one, but a whole slew of stumble-drunk photos on her profile. Some were even posted by her.

Randomly clicked on the instagram hashtag "#MCAT" the other day, and up came a super classy photo of a girl flipping off the camera with both hands (her face totally visible) captioned something like "F*** the MCAT!!" (i mean, I feel the same way, but would never put that kinda thing on IG)

Also--unrelated to the above, but I am getting increasingly irked when I see pre-med peers who wear scrubs to class/in public but have no actual reason to be wearing scrubs to class/in public
People's stupidity on social media never cease to amaze me! Do these people seriously not think about the consequences of putting this stuff on the world wide web for every one to see (including admissions committees and future employers)?!:smack:

lol to the scrubs thing. I am a premed who has to wear scrubs to class (if it's right after work) and in public because I'm required to wear scrubs at my job. I find it funny that people would actually want to wear scrubs instead of regular clothes if they don't need to be wearing scrubs. Scrubs aren't exactly fashionable ;)

People's stupidity on social media never cease to amaze me! Do these people seriously not think about the consequences of putting this stuff on the world wide web for every one to see (including admissions committees and future employers)?!:smack:

lol to the scrubs thing. I am a premed who has to wear scrubs to class (if it's right after work) and in public because I'm required to wear scrubs at my job. I find it funny that people would actually want to wear scrubs instead of regular clothes if they don't need to be wearing scrubs. Scrubs aren't exactly fashionable ;)
That's the beauty of them - they're somehow a pass on fashion!
I hate trying to be fashionable.
If I show up wearing sweats, I'm a slob.
If I show up wearing scrubs, I'm too busy to change from a productive job (note: I don't wear scrubs, precisely because I am NOT busy/productive, so it would be a farce).
Scrubs = sweats in all but public reaction. Premeds are the only ones I've ever seen judge them negatively, and that mostly seems to be a weird sort of 'they are putting on airs' reaction, which I just find bizarre.

Then there's the classic.... "What's your major?" "Premed"

I do actually say that sometimes, because when I use the term "post-bacc" I just get a blank stare. Much easier to just say "pre-med" when people ask what I'm in school for.

People actually do think it works like The Sims lol

Also being a surgeon is a promotion from a family doctor on the sims. EMT to nurse to family doc to surgeon. Stepping on all kinds of toes there.

Reactions: 12 users
A premed presenting her research program experience put her title PP slide as: "Name Biology Premed" and introduced herself as, "I'm Biology Premed."

Talking about her performance in Orgo, she said, "I would say I did pretty well, I got B's in both."

This one goes to me...
I was a sophomore shadowing in ortho surgery and the nurse came up to me as I was standing about 5 feet back from the operating table and said I could scrub in so I could stand closer. She told me to go stand next to the surgeon and I was nervous trying not to startle him thinking I wasn't scrubbed in and as I walked up to the table I said, "It's okay I'm sterile"....

Everyone laughed and cracked jokes and asked why I didn't want to have any kids. Thank god my mask covered up my red face.

Reactions: 32 users
Me: "I'm applying to medical school for 2015."
Him: "Cool, for what?"
Me: "...to become a doctor..."

:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah about being unprofessional on social media...one of my professors told our class that she was going to write someone a LOR until she saw a Facebook picture of said person laying in a pool a vomit and the caption was bragging about having a "fun night."

Bio II with mostly freshmen.

"I'm going to be a cardiothoracic surgeon," says my lab partner.

He rarely showed up, failed most quizzes, and took a W in the class.

Reactions: 2 users
Bio II with mostly freshmen.

"I'm going to be a cardiothoracic surgeon," says my lab partner.

He rarely showed up, failed most quizzes, and took a W in the class.
It's crazy how many people go in saying they want to be doctors, but can't even manage to pass the easiest of the prerequisites. I've always wondered what people with 2.0ish GPAs, holding a biology degree end up doing.

Reactions: 1 user
It's crazy how many people go in saying they want to be doctors, but can't even manage to pass the easiest of the prerequisites. I've always wondered what people with 2.0ish GPAs, holding a biology degree end up doing.

Petsmart

Reactions: 5 users
In my summer bio class:
Him: "So I signed up for the MCAT in september"
Me: "Wow that's great so you'll be applying next cycle?"
Him: "No, I'm thinking I'll start working on my app in October and apply this cycle"
Me: "Oh....okay, so how are your EC's?
Him: "I didn't really have time to do any because I work full time. My GPA should be enough to get me in at the one I'm applying to"

GLHF

Reactions: 4 users
I was studying in the lounge area of our bio department, when a prospective student (senior in high school) comes into the lounge to meet with one of the bio profs/advisors.

Advisor: So you're thinking about majoring in biology?

Prospective Student: Yes I'm premed, pediatric oncology.

Advisor: That's great.

Me: :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 users
I was studying in the lounge area of our bio department, when a prospective student (senior in high school) comes into the lounge to meet with one of the bio profs/advisors.

Advisor: So you're thinking about majoring in biology?

Prospective Student: Yes I'm premed, pediatric oncology.

Advisor: That's great.

Me: :rolleyes:
I cringed so hard on that one.

I work at a lot of open houses and spend a lot of time talking with potential students of my school, telling them about my experiences-- especially in our science program. I know some people on SDN disagree, but I honestly think its so stupid when prospective students come to me and ask "what percent of the students here at XYZ University who apply to med school get accepted?" and actually feel a sense of comfort in the answer, as if it's the university's obligation to make sure they get in.

I want to tell them their real question should be "how much effort am I willing to put into becoming a strong med school applicant?"

Because --though I'm sure it could be argued differently at other places-- at my school, I can almost guarantee that the students who actually make it through undergrad and get into med school would have gotten in to med school at really any undergrad institution. and only a very small percent of the freshman who come in as pre-meds here actually end up applying to med schools, so the pool is skewed by the natural "weed-out" process, anyway.

Last night was the first night for one of the new ED volunteers. She was introducing herself to one of the nurses and was talking about med school.

Volunteer: I'm a sophomore at ____ State and I'm premed.
Nurse: Oh thats great. What are you interested in?
Volunteer: I want to do a residency in Downs Syndrome or Surgery
Nurse: Uh...interesting
Me: :confused:

To clarifiy I think what she meant to say was research in DS but I'm not too sure.

Last night was the first night for one of the new ED volunteers. She was introducing herself to one of the nurses and was talking about med school.

Volunteer: I'm a sophomore at ____ State and I'm premed.
Nurse: Oh thats great. What are you interested in?
Volunteer: I want to do a residency in Downs Syndrome or Surgery
Nurse: Uh...interesting
Me: :confused:

To clarifiy I think what she meant to say was research in DS but I'm not too sure.
Eh, I don't know. It's pretty obvious to anyone who takes the time to research that one couldn't do a residency in down syndrome. It doesn't sound like a slip of the tongue so much as she just doesn't know what she's talking about.

Eh, I don't know. It's pretty obvious to anyone who takes the time to research that one couldn't do a residency in down syndrome. It doesn't sound like a slip of the tongue so much as she just doesn't know what she's talking about.
Ah, but this is a thread entirely about those who are deficient in the bolded department.

Yeah I am not sure what she was trying to say. It was painfully awkward listening to her talk about med school. On the plus side, she was a really nice person and was very friendly to all the patients. So at least she has a good attitude and bedside manner.

My friend telling me about how his girlfriend failed her first MCAT because she went to hang out the weekend she had set to study for the MCAT.

Yep...just a weekend to study for the MCAT. I felt so awkward that I didn't know how to tell him that she was going to need more than a weekend.

Reactions: 7 users
Oh the memories...

noy5s.jpg

Participated in a panel for high schoolers to talk to them about health careers. One of the panelists was telling everyone how they were going to become a pediatric oncologist because "someone has to do it so they will be the one." Later on in the panel, they're talking about how they had to retake gen chem three times already. :/

Participated in a panel for high schoolers to talk to them about health careers. One of the panelists was telling everyone how they were going to become a pediatric oncologist because "someone has to do it so they will be the one." Later on in the panel, they're talking about how they had to retake gen chem three times already. :/

Lol. Lost count of students failing gen chem and orgo, but feeling relieved/optimisitic that they won't be taking those courses in med school

This one goes to me...
I was a sophomore shadowing in ortho surgery and the nurse came up to me as I was standing about 5 feet back from the operating table and said I could scrub in so I could stand closer. She told me to go stand next to the surgeon and I was nervous trying not to startle him thinking I wasn't scrubbed in and as I walked up to the table I said, "It's okay I'm sterile"....

Everyone laughed and cracked jokes and asked why I didn't want to have any kids. Thank god my mask covered up my red face.

a45e4be3992fee759dba88a6705f0d0d.jpg

I was watching the movie John Q today. There was a part where a patient comes in with a gunshot wound to the chest. The CT surgeon says "I can't handle this - I'm a thoracic surgeon, not an ER doc!"

In my summer bio class:
Him: "So I signed up for the MCAT in september"
Me: "Wow that's great so you'll be applying next cycle?"
Him: "No, I'm thinking I'll start working on my app in October and apply this cycle"
Me: "Oh....okay, so how are your EC's?
Him: "I didn't really have time to do any because I work full time. My GPA should be enough to get me in at the one I'm applying to"

GLHF

I find it more surprising that professors always want to know what specialty their pre-med students want to go into. Many of them give me odd looks when I tell them that I do not know.

Me: "I'm applying to medical school for 2015."
Him: "Cool, for what?"
Me: "...to become a doctor..."

:oops:

This happens to me on almost a weekly basis. It's weird that people don't automatically associate medical school with becoming a physician...

Last edited:
I find it more surprising that professors always want to know what specialty their pre-med students want to go into. Many of them give me odd looks when I tell them that I do not know.

Mainly because in the PhD world you pretty much have to know what type of research you want to do before you apply to their programs. This is why they can't wrap their head around the MD/DO world. Your research also has to follow a consistent pattern. If you did research with a cardiologist and then a neurologist, they would look at you with a weird expression. If you were to talk about these experiences with physicians instead, they would be applauding your efforts. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

Mainly because in the PhD world you pretty much have to know what type of research you want to do before you apply to their programs. This is why they can't wrap their head around the MD/DO world. Your research also has to follow a consistent pattern. If you did research with a cardiologist and then a neurologist, they would look at you with a weird expression. If you were to talk about these experiences with physicians instead, they would be applauding your efforts. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.
I suppose that just highlights the fundamental differences people should be aware of when they start these "PhD or MD" threads.

This happens to me on almost a weekly basis. It's weird that people don't automatically associate medical school with becoming a physician...

Not necessarily. It could be that they made that assumption (falsely) with too many people that said they were going to medical school to become a nurse or something else and eventually gave up and stopped assuming medical school = doctor.

I get the "oh cool! Medical school! So what do you want to do with a degree in nursing?" pretty regularly if medical school ever comes up in a conversation.

But I think that has something to do with me being female, haha

^^Those nurses need to stop telling people that they go to any type of school. They are simply majoring in nursing, period.

^^Those nurses need to stop telling people that they go to any type of school. They are simply majoring in nursing, period.

Nursing school is different than other majors.

It's not medical school, but it is different.

Nursing school is different than other majors.

It's not medical school, but it is different.

Any major is different than other majors.

At least if a nursing student goes to a traditional university, I would find it strange if they said they are going to a nursing school. They still take gen ed classes with other undergrad students.

Any major is different than other majors.

I think you are uninformed as well. Nursing school is a professional school. It's not med school, but it's akin to it, as well as pharmacy school, PT school, etc. It's not simply a major. Pre-nursing is a major... But then you apply to a nursing program to become a nurse. They even take a licensing exam.

Reactions: 3 users
I think you are uninformed as well. Nursing school is a professional school. It's not med school, but it's akin to it, as well as pharmacy school, PT school, etc. It's not simply a major. Pre-nursing is a major... But then you apply to a nursing program to become a nurse. They even take a licensing exam.

Well that makes sense :)
But many majors take license exams including teachers, engineers, and accountants and many majors need to first be in good standing as pre-majors (business is a good example at my school).
Music majors have a drastically different curriculum than other undergrad students, but they don't say that they are going to a music school (of course there are music schools out there which are not a part of a university).
Then if we equate BSN to MD then does it mean that those with a DNP achieved even a higher training than an MD?

Final edit: I would agree with calling graduate degrees in nursing, nursing school.

Last edited:
But many majors take license exams including teachers, engineers, and accountants and many majors need to first be in good standing as pre-majors (business is a good example at my school).
Music majors have a drastically different curriculum than other undergrad students, but they don't say that they are going to a music school (of course there are music schools out there which are not a part of a university).
Then if we equate BSN to MD then does it mean that those with a DNP achieved even a higher training than an MD?

Final edit: I would agree with calling graduate degrees in nursing, nursing school.

I did not equate the MD/DO degree with a BSN. That would be crazy. Just the fact thy they have their own schools.

Also, I do not have the time to argue.. I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between majoring in Music/Anthropolgy/Chemistry and going to nursing school. I'm sure you have done plenty of research into the nursing field yourself and understand the differences.

Nursing school is a professional school, as are master's programs in education.

Engineering programs are not, generally speaking, professional programs. Taking a professional engineer licensing exam is not part of engineering curriculums the way licensing exams are for nursing shcool and education programs.

There's a distinct difference between professional programs and other programs. That doesn't mean they're the same.

Probably applying to medical school. According to the data provided by UMich, there was someone with 0.75 GPA applied last year.

I've noticed a more sympathetic view of DOs on SDN, even in the pre-allo forum. I believe the only sources of anti-DO prejudice nowadays in from elderly MDs and ignorant pre-meds, and few scattered residents. Rock on.
For me, not just more sympathetic and more "informed" according to my observation. When I first heard of DO, I had no idea what it was, so without further information to help me understand it (and I didn't really spend the energy to investigate neither) I simply classified DO as lower on the hierarchies. Now, after many years of collecting information, I see how DO have their own niche in the field of medicine, just like all the other team players in the big system.

Status
Not open for further replies.