Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that makes sense :)
But many majors take license exams including teachers, engineers, and accountants and many majors need to first be in good standing as pre-majors (business is a good example at my school).
Music majors have a drastically different curriculum than other undergrad students, but they don't say that they are going to a music school (of course there are music schools out there which are not a part of a university).
Then if we equate BSN to MD then does it mean that those with a DNP achieved even a higher training than an MD?

Final edit: I would agree with calling graduate degrees in nursing, nursing school.

Pre-Nursing students do take the general required classes like other students, but they also have to apply to a division of nursing within their respective university and be accepted to actually be nursing students. It is at this point they are in nursing school.

It is a competitive process. It's not as competitive as other professional schools, but many applicants do find themselves becoming reapplicants.

Many nursing programs have course load hour requirements and expectations, different grading scales and attendance policies, dress code, and drug testing policies separate from the university's policies.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 23 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is nothing new. You'd be surprised at how many people apply to med school who will never get in, even as cadavers.
Even more worse off than streampaw? Ouch.
What do you feel when you see an application like that? Pity?
I'm surprised UMich accepted a 2.8 GPA
There are a few seemingly anomalous acceptances out there.

My thinking, the applicant showed great upward trend or have a stellar postbac GPA (good post bac GPA cannot rescue total c/sGPA, since it's not a lot of credits, and great EC and overcame a lot of adversities. UMich cares a lot about distance traveled. So it doesn't shock me. But if the 0.75 GPA turns out to be true. Then...another story.

My thinking, the applicant showed great upward trend or have a stellar postbac GPA (good post bac GPA cannot rescue total c/sGPA, since it's not a lot of credits, and great EC and overcame a lot of adversities. UMich cares a lot about distance traveled. So it doesn't shock me. But if the 0.75 GPA turns out to be true. Then...another story.
Maybe their MCAT was like a 43.

This is kind of the same thing, but with a low mcat score instead of GPA. My undergrad has a guaranteed med school admissions program (one of those BS/MD program things), and in the first years of the program, ~15 years ago, there were only a few requirements to keep your position once you were in. The main one was that you had to keep a minimum GPA throughout undergrad and then take the mcat. Well at the time, they never set a minimum mcat score, so you could just sign up for a test date, straight line your answers without reading a single question and still get into med school. The med school was quick to set a minimum score once they started seeing these scores drag down their average matriculant mcat scores.

Even my school has some standards, and we pre-screen numbers below 3.0. But gyngyn has written about having to review apps with single digit MCAT scores.

What do you feel when you see an application like that? Pity?

I think that the raw numbers can be misleading. I suspect that this person had a horrible start to college,but redeemed themselves with a stunning upward trend or post-bac work. But said work would get the numbers >3.0

I'll be a 1.5 UG GPA+ a 4.0 pbGPA would = a 2.8 cGPA....or something to that effect.

There are a few seemingly anomalous acceptances out there.

This happens to me on almost a weekly basis. It's weird that people don't automatically associate medical school with becoming a physician...
I told someone that I was going to medical school in the fall and they were like oh nice for what kind of medicine. I said I don't know yet and they were like uhh okay.

I thought they were talking about specialty, which I dunno what I want to do. Later I realized they were probably asking if I was doing nursing, PA, PT, etc.

They probably thought I was an idiot lol

Reactions: 1 users
But gyngyn has written about having to review apps with single digit MCAT scores.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am the screener. I don't send those on to my dear committee (or I'd be referred to the appropriate medical service!).

Reactions: 8 users
What happened to the "Funny " part of this thread? C'mon guys...I expect more entertainment out of PA.

Haha ok! How about this: A pre-med with a 3 on an MCAT practice test (that's 3 total, folks) is planning to take actual test without studying at all and "hoping for about a 40"

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha ok! How about this: A pre-med with a 3 on an MCAT practice test (that's 3 total, folks) is planning to take actual test without studying at all and "hoping for about a 40"

100% legit. You'd do better than a 3 by random guessing, so in order to actually get a 3 you have to know the right answers and deliberately avoid them! ;)

Reactions: 3 users
100% legit. You'd do better than a 3 by random guessing, so in order to actually get a 3 you have to know the right answers and deliberately avoid them! ;)
True, I took a practice MCAT a year ago (AAMC #3) with total guessing and got a 12. I looked it up to get the subsection scores, which were a 2 VR, 4 PS and 6 BS. Granted you can get lower by not answering randomly and I could have gotten lucky with clicking but I am calling bull on someone getting a 3 total on a practice test.

True, I took a practice MCAT a year ago (AAMC #3) with total guessing and got a 12. I looked it up to get the subsection scores, which were a 2 VR, 4 PS and 6 BS. Granted you can get lower by not answering randomly and I could have gotten lucky with clicking but I am calling bull on someone getting a 3 total on a practice test.
I've seen applicants get a 4 total after taking the (actual) test 3 times.

Reactions: 6 users
Imagine the paper we could write for one of the psychiatry journals on the mindset of such applicants!
I admit that I am sometimes compelled to call their LOR writers to ask for an intervention.
They usually have no idea...

Reactions: 5 users
I usually avoid sharing negative things about my classmates.--several lessons I learned in college really hammered humility hard into my bone. However, I can't but to talk about this one premed girl in my college, nicest person you'll ever met. seriously. nicest and most cheerful person, honest to the teeth type as well. We crossed path several times because somehow she really liked me and I didn't mind having more friends.

Scene 1 (after gen chem class)
Me: "I didn't do as well as I thought on the last midterm, only got an 18 (out of 25)"
Her: "Me toooo!!!!!! 18!!!! I'm so glad that we got the SAME score." With a big warm smile
Me: "Well, it isn't the worst score,what questions did you miss?"
Her answer reveled that she got an 18 on Cal I midterm, which was out of 100.
Me: change topic to something random.
She eventually passed the class, even though she got between 10-15 out of 100 cumutively. Mind you, our gen chem I was completely based on multiple choices questions with 4 answers throughout the entire semester.

Scene 2 (2hrs before Physics I midterm II in the library)
Her: "FFH, helps me, I'm a little confused." And she has a calm demeanor.
Me: "Sure, what do you need."
Her: "I don't understand this chapter."
So she really didn't understand the chapter at all and it was one of the first few chapters.

She actually somehow almost finished medical school in Russia. But she decided to redo undergrad at my college (a top 5 school) after she moved to the US, and she actually did graduate. Nothing ever broke her spirits and I love that about her. Not sure what is she doing now.

Last edited:
I suppose I can share this story.

I was waiting outside the science building with another girl about two weeks ago. I was there for my friend, and she for her boyfriend, and we both were chilling outside so we could have a good time with our respective people after the class let out.

It's an exam day for Organic II, and so both of us figured that we would be there a while. She had decided to talk first:

Her: These tests take forever.
Me: Well, they're pretty hard.
Her: I don't know what you find so hard about them. It's just drawing.
Me: o_O
Her: Any idiot can draw a hexagon.
Me: It's not just a hexagon, though-
Her: He wouldn't need to take this if he just applied to medical school. Only pharmacy school needs Organic II.
Me: Are you sure? :eek:
Her: Of course I am, I'm applying this year.
Me: Oh, well, uh... Good luck with that.

I was partially irritated at how condescending she was, and so when she met up with her boyfriend, I privately thanked my lucky stars and relayed the tale to my pre-pharm friend, who got a lot of laughs out of it.

I suppose I can share this story.

I was waiting outside the science building with another girl about two weeks ago. I was there for my friend, and she for her boyfriend, and we both were chilling outside so we could have a good time with our respective people after the class let out.

It's an exam day for Organic II, and so both of us figured that we would be there a while. She had decided to talk first:

Her: These tests take forever.
Me: Well, they're pretty hard.
Her: I don't know what you find so hard about them. It's just drawing.
Me: o_O
Her: Any idiot can draw a hexagon.
Me: It's not just a hexagon, though-
Her: He wouldn't need to take this if he just applied to medical school. Only pharmacy school needs Organic II.
Me: Are you sure? :eek:
Her: Of course I am, I'm applying this year.
Me: Oh, well, uh... Good luck with that.

I was partially irritated at how condescending she was, and so when she met up with her boyfriend, I privately thanked my lucky stars and relayed the tale to my pre-pharm friend, who got a lot of laughs out of it.
An idiot is someone who thinks that they know it all, while they in fact know nada.

Not necessarily pre-med, but still a pretty entertaining story to share. Yesterday in biology; professor asks class whether, based on our reading, a fish or a cow would be a more efficient consumer.

Student: "the fish would be more efficient because since it's in water it doesn't experience the effects of gravity"

The entire class bursts into laughter

The professor struggles to find words that encourage the student while correcting him

I cradle my face in my hands

Reactions: 8 users
My first day of undergrad was yesterday. Whenever I had a class where the teacher asked us to introduce ourselves and state our majors, there was always someone who identified their major as just "premed"(our school does not offer that as a major). One of them looked pissed that we didn't pause to appreciate what a special snow flake she was.

This one is from my mom when I was talking to her about med school requirements.
"So if you graduate with straight A's then you go to med school?"

My first day of undergrad was yesterday. Whenever I had a class where the teacher asked us to introduce ourselves and state our majors, there was always someone who identified their major as just "premed"(our school does not offer that as a major). One of them looked pissed that we didn't pause to appreciate what a special snow flake she was.

This one is from my mom when I was talking to her about med school requirements.
"So if you graduate with straight A's then you go to med school?"

you're mom isn't too off course haha

Not a premed story, but I took a marine bio elective to fill up some open space, and Organic1/2 isn't required for that class. Here's me, a senior Chemistry major, sitting with Marine Bio majors about to graduate as well and our instreucter starts talking about the Deep Water Horizen spill. I commented how cool it was that the oil had dissappered rather quickly once the microbes had been added, and a student goes "i don't think it was the microbes. I mean after a month in the ocean, the oil has to go through some serious wear-and-tear"

I had no words

Reactions: 9 users
A fellow premed at the hospital listed off the prereqs he's taking at the local CC, and he didn't include physics. I told him he should add it, and he replied:

"MD schools don't require physics, that's only DO programs."

He was very adamant about it so I didn't try arguing, but suggested he take physics anyways since it's on the MCAT, and he replied:

"What? Physics isn't on the MCAT" and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

He then said he's only applying to two schools, the JD/MD program at Baylor and one in-state MD school as a safety.

Good luck with that bro....

Reactions: 6 users
My favorite convo has to be one from my freshman calc class:

Me:So what do you want to do in the future?

Him: "Well the plan was to join the family business after high school, but it turns out you need to go to college to become a dentist."

I think he withdrew after a few weeks...

Note: the person who took the test is not a native English speaker and did not take any science classes prior. I did not believe it myself but the person in question showed me their score printed out from The Princeton Review website.

My favorite convo has to be one from my freshman calc class:

Me:So what do you want to do in the future?

Him: "Well the plan was to join the family business after high school, but it turns out you need to go to college to become a dentist."

I think he withdrew after a few weeks...

He's lived with a family of dentists his whole life and is just realizing now they need a college education??? :eek: :smack: Ouch, good luck kid!

He's lived with a family of dentists his whole life and is just realizing now they need a college education??? :eek: :smack: Ouch, good luck kid!

At least he knew they were dentists. I have a friend who has no idea what his parents or siblings do for a living. He has never cared enough to ask them.

I know this one has probably been posted several times already but I've heard it so many times I need to say it:
Freshman/Sophomore in Premed Pre-MCAT study: "Oh, I can get a 30 on the MCAT no problem, I'm doing pretty well in my classes!"
lol

While I was in my second year of university I decided to volunteer as a tutor through my university’s tutoring centre. One day I met this one freshman that was having problems with gen chem and after I tired to help him sort some of his issues out he told me he wasn’t too worried about getting a C because he was going to apply to pursue an MD-PhD.

Me: Actually you have to really worry about getting a C its even harder to get into an MD-PhD program.

Him: No, I don’t have to worry the medical schools will understand that my grades are a little lower because I spent time preparing for writing my PhD thesis.

Me (in my mind): What the F is this kid talking about.

Me (to him): So you’ve started research for a PhD? I thought you need a PI and funding etc.

Him: No I’m going to do my PhD in literature. I am reading a ton preparing for it and because not a lot of applicants for MD-PhD do a PhD in literature medical schools will want to accept me because of the different perspective I can bring to the medical community.

Me: I knew that you could do you PhD in a field like anthropology or engineering but I thought that you had to do a PhD related in some way to the medical field.

Him: No, you can do it in what ever field you like and it doesn’t have to be medically based at all; take me for example, I’m going to do a PhD in literature and its not going to be based on anything medical.

Me: Oh well that’s news to me good luck with that.:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
While I was in my second year of university I decided to volunteer as a tutor through my university’s tutoring centre. One day I met this one freshman that was having problems with gen chem and after I tired to help him sort some of his issues out he told me he wasn’t too worried about getting a C because he was going to apply to pursue an MD-PhD.

Me: Actually you have to really worry about getting a C its even harder to get into an MD-PhD program.

Him: No, I don’t have to worry the medical schools will understand that my grades are a little lower because I spent time preparing for writing my PhD thesis.

Me (in my mind): What the F is this kid talking about.

Me (to him): So you’ve started research for a PhD? I thought you need a PI and funding etc.

Him: No I’m going to do my PhD in literature. I am reading a ton preparing for it and because not a lot of applicants for MD-PhD do a PhD in literature medical schools will want to accept me because of the different perspective I can bring to the medical community.

Me: I knew that you could do you PhD in a field like anthropology or engineering but I thought that you had to do a PhD related in some way to the medical field.

Him: No, you can do it in what ever field you like and it doesn’t have to be medically based at all; take me for example, I’m going to do a PhD in literature and its not going to be based on anything medical.

Me: Oh well that’s news to me good luck with that.:rolleyes:

Man, that's weird

I know this one has probably been posted several times already but I've heard it so many times I need to say it:
Freshman/Sophomore in Premed Pre-MCAT study: "Oh, I can get a 30 on the MCAT no problem, I'm doing pretty well in my classes!"
lol

They are in for a rude awakening once they take an AAMC practice test!

On a similar note, it really annoys me when people tell me something like "you did really well in college so its hard to believe you are struggling to do well on your MCAT." ITS NOT THE SAME THING! :bang:

A premed in my physics class told me they were just going to guess on the physics section of the MCAT since they didn't understand it. :eek:

lol
I was/am this kid...only without the doing pretty well in my classes bit, and I claimed I'd break a 36 or 38! :laugh:
Standardized tests have always been my jam, though.
*off to go take AAMC8* :whistle:

Here's one that was just posted: The thought of not being able to practice the specialty of medicine that I that I want most because I took the easy way out [by getting a DO degree] is almost as troubling to me as not being able to practice medicine at all.

Reactions: 7 users
Here's one that was just posted: The thought of not being able to practice the specialty of medicine that I that I want most because I took the easy way out [by getting a DO degree] is almost as troubling to me as not being able to practice medicine at all.
...:smack:

At least he knew they were dentists. I have a friend who has no idea what his parents or siblings do for a living. He has never cared enough to ask them.
I've met a few teenagers that lived with their parents and had no idea what they did for a living. It always struck me as so odd.

Listening to a group of premed students walking by me

Random kid responding to his friend: "what do you mean I have to get a letter of recommendation???!?!"

Also because even that - holding stuff - is considered a huge liability risk, which is why most premeds do not do these things, or even scrub in. Most hospitals would throw a FIT about something like that (at mine, HR threw a fit even just for shadowing, and told a coworker who was asking about it "if someone else is doing it, just don't even tell me...I don't want to know, and if I did I'd have to stop it"). Those sorts of things are often considered absolutely nonpermissible, and the reason often given, even if not entirely true, is ethics.

So if she WERE getting at clamp-holding, it may be called unethical here and not elsewhere, but what they really mean is that it's a liability.

the ENT surgeon I am shadowing is so cool, he wants me to scrub in everytime just so I can actually touch the blue covers and get close to the patient lol

Her: Well Im sure those schools in Orlando (UCF) and in Miami (FIU) are pretty easy to get into
Me: No. Stop right there. Those schools have a 32 MCAT avg. (hers is <30)
Her: But...but....I thought they were new so they would be easy to get into
Me: They were new about 5 years ago.
Her: *shocked*
Me: Medical school is difficult to get into no matter where you apply.

upload_2014-8-24_0-29-54.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users
I have a friend who is pretty far along in undergrad and over the last year has been thinking about med school. He's got amazing grades and ECs, but here's the convo we had about the MCAT:

Me: Have you thought about getting the MCAT out of the way before the test changes?
Him: I wasn't planning on taking it. But I went to talk to XYZ school (local med school) and after going there they seem really adamant that i have to take the MCAT before i apply. I figured you would only need that if your GPA wasn't high enough.
Me: ...speechless...

I have a friend who is pretty far along in undergrad and over the last year has been thinking about med school. He's got amazing grades and ECs, but here's the convo we had about the MCAT:

Me: Have you thought about getting the MCAT out of the way before the test changes?
Him: I wasn't planning on taking it. But I went to talk to XYZ school (local med school) and after going there they seem really adamant that i have to take the MCAT before i apply. I figured you would only need that if your GPA wasn't high enough.
Me: ...speechless...

Makes me question people's ability to use google.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.