Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else out there who still hasn't submitted...?

Also, a question for those of you who have: if I have everything done except for supplementals (the questions in VMCAS under program materials) can I submit and then finish those up, or do I need to have everything done at once?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, a question for those of you who have: if I have everything done except for supplementals (the questions in VMCAS under program materials) can I submit and then finish those up, or do I need to have everything done at once?

No you have to have those questions done to submit.

Members don't see this ad :)

Me. :laugh:

It's looking like it'll be another submit-on-deadline-day cycle. The last thing I need to do is edit up my PS--but I'm feeling too paranoid to submit without making sure my 3rd LOR comes in (whether it's the original person or the backup...man I hate this worrying. And that's because I chose not to re-request from a professor I got one from last year, because he didn't submit until just a few days before deadline...)

Me. :laugh:

It's looking like it'll be another submit-on-deadline-day cycle. The last thing I need to do is edit up my PS--but I'm feeling too paranoid to submit without making sure my 3rd LOR comes in (whether it's the original person or the backup...man I hate this worrying. And that's because I chose not to re-request from a professor I got one from last year, because he didn't submit until just a few days before deadline...)

You'll be fiiiiine. Some of my LORs could have come in earlier, but they're all there now. I have no one to blame but myself!

Reactions: 1 user
Might be worth giving them a call or sending an email. I also submitted 8/31 and was verified 9/2.

Thanks for the suggestion--I called and the guy was confused as to why I hadn't been verified yet, so he said he'd send it over to whoever does it and it was verified this evening! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Dammit. Thanks!

Everything gets "locked" once you submit and pay for even one school. If you are finished with the rest of your application and don't need to edit anything, you could submit the schools that do not have any essays in their in the school's "question" section. That way you will be in line for verification.

You'll be fiiiiine. Some of my LORs could have come in earlier, but they're all there now. I have no one to blame but myself!
Yeah now I'm definitely kicking myself for not following up like, a month ago. But during the summer I still had plenty of time to not worry about it and figured she'd submit eventually, then as September came closer I just got more and more busy between ending internship and starting school...honestly the past 2 weeks have flown by. This is why rounding up LORs is probably my least favorite part of the process--I hate feeling like I'm inconveniencing busy people with that request, and that the procrastination/responsibility factor is out of my control and falls on someone other than me :p

Everything gets "locked" once you submit and pay for even one school. If you are finished with the rest of your application and don't need to edit anything, you could submit the schools that do not have any essays in their in the school's "question" section. That way you will be in line for verification.
This is actually a really good idea.

Thanks for the suggestion--I called and the guy was confused as to why I hadn't been verified yet, so he said he'd send it over to whoever does it and it was verified this evening! :)

That's basically what happened with me. I called because a bunch of people who submitted after me were already verified and they had no explanation for why that would be but she went to talk to whoever is in charge of verifying and they had me verified within like an hour of the phone call.

My application is finally complete!!! Last LOR submitted a couple hours ago and I was verified a couple weeks ago. I'm so happy to have it all done, I hate waiting until the last minute.

Reactions: 2 users
So I just submitted but my VMCAS still says awaiting materials under my program. Everything is in transcript and LOR wise. I wonder if its the two documents for UF and that due to stupid labor day they won't have someone go yes they are here.
That happened to me and it resolved itself in a few hours. I emailed VMCAS and it had pushed through to verifying before they even got to look at it.

HAHAHA NC state's Small animal email is cracking me up!

"And the big bonus….you won’t have to take any equine or food animal rotations in your senior year! "

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
"And the big bonus….you won’t have to take any equine or food animal rotations in your senior year! "

No equine or food animal rotations...?! How could anyone want to miss out on all that fun?!;)

HUGE sigh of relief...right after securing my backup-backup LOR writer, the original professor was finally able to respond and submitted today. Went ahead and sent a "nevermind" email to my advisor, and the non-academic person I asked today can choose whether or not to submit by deadline and be a 4th evaluator. Now that I don't have to worry about the LORs all I have to do is edit PS and pay the fees (and finish up CSU's supplemental since it's also due on the 15th). Partial weight off my shoulders (won't be completely gone until I submit ;))

HUGE sigh of relief...right after securing my backup-backup LOR writer, the original professor was finally able to respond and submitted today. Went ahead and sent a "nevermind" email to my advisor, and the non-academic person I asked today can choose whether or not to submit by deadline and be a 4th evaluator. Now that I don't have to worry about the LORs all I have to do is edit PS and pay the fees (and finish up CSU's supplemental since it's also due on the 15th). Partial weight off my shoulders (won't be completely gone until I submit ;))

Cutting it close? Nah, got a whole day and a half left. :)

Cutting it close? Nah, got a whole day and a half left. :)
Yeah, I'm honestly in a slightly better position than I was at this time last year (when I had zilch for my PS and pretty much pulled an all-nighter writing it before finally submitting everything at 2pm on deadline day. nobody do that :p)

Yeah, I'm honestly in a slightly better position than I was at this time last year (when I had zilch for my PS and pretty much pulled an all-nighter writing it before finally submitting everything at 2pm on deadline day. nobody do that :p)

I was paranoid the other way and submitted too early to include some good experiences.

I was paranoid the other way and submitted too early to include some good experiences.
You could always still add more experiences! (no idea if adcoms will read/notice those that were added after submitting, but since's deadline hasn't come, it may be likely that most schools haven't started looking at their apps yet?)

I am not sure what all they have done, but there were status updates on the supplemental pages for different things. I'll get to talk about some of it at the interviews if I get one I guess.

Im still cutting it super close, was ready to submit last week then made the mistake (?) of asking my future lawyer and writer friends to take a look. They had a lot of good suggestions. All I have to do is look over/possibly edit my PS one my time and edit one schools supplemental questions due on the 15th. I can't wait to finally hit submit!

Also, I've been going back and forth on the explanation statement, maybe you guys can help me? My adviser told me to include a statement about my freshman year GPA since it was kinda low (3.2) but my cumulative is pretty nice. (3.73). So the reason why I did worse that year was because two of my family members died (grandfather and aunt). Should I say one was due to a random act of homicide? The situation surrounding her death made it quite hard on the family. And can I leave it at that or do I need to say how i learned from it blah blah blah? I mean I had other stressors that happened while in school and maintained a good GPA, but nothing as hard as that was (minor health problems for me and lots of potentially life-threatening health problems for my horse).

ETA: OR should i just say two family members of mine died and not be specific, I dont want them to think Im trying to play a sympathy card. That is not my intention at all.

Submitted Saturday night (9/10) and verified today (9/13)!!!

Im still cutting it super close, was ready to submit last week then made the mistake (?) of asking my future lawyer and writer friends to take a look. They had a lot of good suggestions. All I have to do is look over/possibly edit my PS one my time and edit one schools supplemental questions due on the 15th. I can't wait to finally hit submit!

Also, I've been going back and forth on the explanation statement, maybe you guys can help me? My adviser told me to include a statement about my freshman year GPA since it was kinda low (3.2) but my cumulative is pretty nice. (3.73). So the reason why I did worse that year was because two of my family members died (grandfather and aunt). Should I say one was due to a random act of homicide? The situation surrounding her death made it quite hard on the family. And can I leave it at that or do I need to say how i learned from it blah blah blah? I mean I had other stressors that happened while in school and maintained a good GPA, but nothing as hard as that was (minor health problems for me and lots of potentially life-threatening health problems for my horse).

ETA: OR should i just say two family members of mine died and not be specific, I dont want them to think Im trying to play a sympathy card. That is not my intention at all.
If you choose to include it, you can make it as detailed or nonspecific as you feel appropriate to explain the situation. When I explained a medical issue I had during one semester, I didn't go into detail; I just said "a personal medical issue which required surgery". You definitely don't have to go far into it if you don't want to. I personally don't think you really need to explain a 3.2 freshman GPA though, especially given your cumulative!

Good luck to everyone still finishing things up over the next couple of days! Vet school is stressful and crazy and awful sometimes, but you couldn't pay me to go through the application process again. To everyone playing the waiting game, I know it sucks, but I promise you will survive. Stay busy, have some fun, and the time will go by faster than you think!

Reactions: 3 users
Ugh, got everything set to submit tonight, and my internet crapped out (live in the middle of nowhere and it sucks). Guess who gets to drive to a coffee shop early tomorrow before work?

Ugh, got everything set to submit tonight, and my internet crapped out (live in the middle of nowhere and it sucks). Guess who gets to drive to a coffee shop early tomorrow before work?

Least you can grab some coffee while you're there that early

I'm so glad to hear some of you late bloomers are in the same boat as I am, not that I'd wish this on anyone. I was beginning to think I was the only one left still having to submit! (And waiting on an LOR :eek:)

Question, for those of us submitting the days leading up to the deadline, do we have to have it submitted by the deadline or verified? I will definitely have it submitted in time, but I'm not sure how it goes with verification. My transcripts have been in months ago if that matters.

I'm so glad to hear some of you late bloomers are in the same boat as I am, not that I'd wish this on anyone. I was beginning to think I was the only one left still having to submit! (And waiting on an LOR :eek:)

Question, for those of us submitting the days leading up to the deadline, do we have to have it submitted by the deadline or verified? I will definitely have it submitted in time, but I'm not sure how it goes with verification. My transcripts have been in months ago if that matters.

Submitted. As long as there's no major problems, it can be verified after :)

yup verified after! SO I checked it like 20 million times. It'll be just my luck to have something go wrong on that and then I'm out of luck. I will cry and be so mad if that happens haha. Anyways I just hit submit, its already on verifying so lets hope it changes to verified :p. TWO of my LOR turned it in this past Friday so I have been freaking out for a while lol

yup verified after! SO I checked it like 20 million times. It'll be just my luck to have something go wrong on that and then I'm out of luck. I will cry and be so mad if that happens haha. Anyways I just hit submit, its already on verifying so lets hope it changes to verified :p. TWO of my LOR turned it in this past Friday so I have been freaking out for a while lol

Awesome, and congrats on submitting! Looks like I'll be on the day of the deadline this year....

3.73 cumulative is going to be above average at most schools. Along with the upward trend you probably don't need to explain anything.

The explanation statement is really more for issues that would make the adcoms worry that you aren't going to complete the program. Rough start with a very strong finish tells the story you want them to hear.

3.73 cumulative is going to be above average at most schools. Along with the upward trend you probably don't need to explain anything.

The explanation statement is really more for issues that would make the adcoms worry that you aren't going to complete the program. Rough start with a very strong finish tells the story you want them to hear.

Agree with this completely.

I had the same exact thing happen to me recently. Two of my family members died in one semester, additionally a friend of mine too. So three in total, two within two days of each other. All awful and all very very unexpected. I just mentioned that I had 2 family members pass away, and did not go into detail (nor did I want to). The following semester I was still going through mourning, and then something else unexpected happened to me. I only had two grades suffer, but I still mentioned it. I mentioned it very briefly and chose to highlight everything positive about me. I was not going to let these horrible circumstances that were out of my control define me as a student and applicant. So I chose to talk about what I can bring to the table and how my unique interests and qualities in this field will be an asset to any program.

do schools really care about your grades after submitting VMCAS (senior fall & senior spring semester)... like from what u have heard... if you have never gotten a B before... and now you get a B, will they be like damn slacker

do schools really care about your grades after submitting VMCAS (senior fall & senior spring semester)... like from what u have heard... if you have never gotten a B before... and now you get a B, will they be like damn slacker
One B, especially if it's surrounded by a sea of As, isn't going to significantly lessen your chances at veterinary school, trust me.

I wish I only had 1 B to worry about!! Don't worry about one B. I have friends that got in this year with much much worse grades...

Some schools will input/update your fall grades into your application.

After you get accepted, during your spring semester, I believe there is normally a "don't get lower than a C in any of your remaining pre-reqs" stipulation or something similar. I got a B- in physics II that semester and it surely didn't hinder me so as long as you pass they normally don't care.

Likely going to have to cut WSU and go down to 2 schools after all. App money... :( Wish my internship had been paid, then I'd have enough money saved for this to not be an issue.

Likely going to have to cut WSU and go down to 2 schools after all. App money... :( Wish my internship had been paid, then I'd have enough money saved for this to not be an issue.
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

You gotta do what you gotta do, but the sads :arghh:

Happy VMCAS submission day!
ImageUploadedBySDN1473952249.894540.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Just like how the time we have to wait until interviews. It will go by quickly I hope!

Reactions: 3 users
Yep! They usually send them out the Friday of finals week for us undergraduates here at Purdue. It will be a fantastic time.

Yep! They usually send them out the Friday of finals week for us undergraduates here at Purdue. It will be a fantastic time.

Sounds like Christmas.

Oh crud. Do they ever call for admissions/ interviews? Because I'm spending 2 and 1/2 weeks in South Africa after Christmas and won't have the calling part of the cell phone

Hmmm I wanna say they email you for interview and call for admissions? It should be before Christmas. Not sure the exact date of finals week. December 10 maybe?

Before supplementals: oh man I'll never remember this debit/credit card number

After supplementals: my card number is xxxxyyyyzzzzbbbb, expires on abcd, and the security code is ddd (or dddd)

Reactions: 6 users
Before supplementals: oh man I'll never remember this debit/credit card number

After supplementals: my card number is xxxxyyyyzzzzbbbb, expires on abcd, and the security code is ddd (or dddd)
hahahaha this is totally me as well! No longer have to look at my card to know my number!