GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how Columbia's program is? It's my dream school and just want to learn everything I can about the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was rejected. I was pretty annoyed because they said they didn't like my personal statement. I thought I had good experience and a competitive GPA and they said to strengthen my application I could try to get more experience in the field (I was a PCA for over 2 years where I performed OT, PT, and speech therapy exercises and attended his therapy sessions, as well as over 10o hours of observation/volunteering in 4 different settings). I'm not trying to sound cocky or entitled by any means but it I found it odd the feedback they gave me when I'm sure many applicants didn't have much if any experience in the field (because they don't require any shadowing hours).
I was also rejected by UW-LaCrosse with over 4,000 hours of experience paid and unpaid working with children and young adults with a wide array of disabilities. I am a certified rec therapist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was also rejected by UW-LaCrosse with over 4,000 hours of experience paid and unpaid working with children and young adults with a wide array of disabilities. I am a certified rec therapist.
Wow! I'm curious who they are accepting! Did you ask about why you were rejected? They simply told me they didn't like my personal essay :/

University: Stony Brook University
Major: Bachelor of Science: Psychology & History
Overall GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3.7

Extra-Curric: Member of NSCS and Neuroscience Axis.
Work: 5 year experience as a Sonar Tech USN Submarine. Learned so much about OT & PT after having to witness overwhelming amounts of people getting into all sorts of accidents and babysitting junior sailors while undergoing treatment because they do something stupid like riding on top of a moving vehicle as if it were a skateboard.
Volunteer: Hospital Volunteer at Stony Brook Medicine. 100 observation hours: 30 OT/ 70 Hand Therapy Outpatient East Setauket.

Applied: NYU (I'm kicking my butt for this) & SUNY Downstate

Rejections: Waiting

Wait listed: None as of so far

Interviews: Still waiting for SUNY Downstate

Acceptances: NYU 3/4/2016. ( Argh I should've applied to Stony Brook).

Wow! I'm curious who they are accepting! Did you ask about why you were rejected? They simply told me they didn't like my personal essay :/
My letter indicated that there were 176 applicants for 26 spots and the average GPA for those accepted was a 3.7. It said to consider applying to their program again next year.

My letter indicated that there were 176 applicants for 26 spots and the average GPA for those accepted was a 3.7. It said to consider applying to their program again next year.
Mine did as well but I emailed back to Pete to see what was specifically wrong, considering my GPA was similar to those accepted and that's when they said the committee didn't like my personal essay.

Mine did as well but I emailed back to Pete to see what was specifically wrong, considering my GPA was similar to those accepted and that's when they said the committee didn't like my personal essay.
Ahhh, I didn't ask for details. I have other acceptances I am considering and feel I will get into and choose the one I belong in.

I was rejected. I was pretty annoyed because they said they didn't like my personal statement. I thought I had good experience and a competitive GPA and they said to strengthen my application I could try to get more experience in the field (I was a PCA for over 2 years where I performed OT, PT, and speech therapy exercises and attended his therapy sessions, as well as over 10o hours of observation/volunteering in 4 different settings). I'm not trying to sound cocky or entitled by any means but it I found it odd the feedback they gave me when I'm sure many applicants didn't have much if any experience in the field (because they don't require any shadowing hours).

@julianac4 and @ANJALU I didn't apply to UW lax, however, I went there for my undergrad. I can tell you that most of their grad students come directly from their undergrad programs... so if you didn't attend undergrad there recently, that may be a big reason. A dumb reason, but that is kind of what I have seen from friends that have done a grad program there. Good luck with your other schools - both of your experiences sound awesome to me!

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATED AS OF 3/6/16!
University: Saint Leo University
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.63 (otcas) 3.98 (last 60 credits)
GRE: 146 V 149 qQ 4 AW

Extra-Curric: Substitute teaching special needs classes

Work experience: Rehabilitation technician and Sensory-motor cognitive coach for children with processing disorders.

Volunteer:Rehab hospital 200+ hrs, SNF 16 hrs, School OT 20 hrs, peds facility 10 hrs

Applied: FGCU, ADU, St. Augustine, Barry, Nova OTD, Nova MOT, Brenau, University of Alabama at Birmingham

Acceptances:FGCU!!, Nova MOT, Nova OTD

Rejections:N/A

Interviews: Nova Mot (video) 1/5, Nova OTD 1/27, FGCU 1/29, Brenau 1/22 (declined), Barry (declined), UAB (declined),

UPDATED AS OF 3/6/16!
University: Saint Leo University
Overall GPA: 3.63 (otcas) 3.98 (last 60 credits)
GRE: 146 V 149 qQ 4 AW

Extra-Curric: Substitute teaching special needs classes

Work experience: Rehabilitation technician and Sensory-motor cognitive coach for children with processing disorders.

Volunteer:Rehab hospital 200+ hrs, SNF 16 hrs, School OT 20 hrs, peds facility 10 hrs

Applied: FGCU, ADU, St. Augustine, Barry, Nova OTD, Nova MOT, Brenau, University of Alabama at Birmingham

Acceptances:FGCU!!, Nova MOT, Nova OTD

Interviews: Nova Mot (video) 1/5, Nova OTD 1/27, FGCU 1/29, Brenau 1/22 (declined), Barry (declined), UAB (declined),
I've never heard of sensory-cognitive coaching! How'd you get a job in that? Congrats on your acceptances!

I've never heard of sensory-cognitive coaching! How'd you get a job in that? Congrats on your acceptances!

Thank you! I actually work at Brain Balance achievement centers. I am the lead sensory-motor and cognitive coach for our center. We work with children ages 4-18 (sometimes older depending on situation) with processing disorders such as ADHD, aspberger's, high functioning autism, and behavioral issues. We work through the sensory motor room which focuses on core, balance, proprioception, fine and gross motor, gait/aerobic activities, listening/processing, and visual exercises. Then we work in the cognitive room on reading and math that stimulates their weaker hemisphere of the brain. It is such a great job! It also really allowed me to stand out during the interview process. Let me know if you have any other questions!:) There are tons of centers all over the country but im in Florida.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a phone interview with Temple tomorrow. What kinds of questions can I expect to be asked? And does anyone have any advice regarding how to prepare?

Members don't see this ad :)
University: The University of Akron, Cleveland State University
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.6
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9

Extra-Curric: ~60 observation hours: Skilled nursing facility (in/out pt.), Pediatrics rehab. (in/out pt.)
Work: Home healthcare aide (current), PT aide, PT internship (non-paid)
Volunteer: Autism Society of Greater Cleveland, Columbus Special Olympics Summer State Games

Applied: Cleveland State University, Shawnee State, Temple University, Indiana State, Nova Southeastern, U of Pitt

Rejections: U of Pitt

Wait listed: Nova

Interviews: Temple University (phone 2/2)

Acceptances: Temple University (2/4 - accepted!), Indiana State University (2/4 - declined), Shawnee State (3/8). Still waiting to hear from CSU.

***Has anyone heard back from Cleveland State?

Update: Accepted to Shawnee State! 3/8

Major: B.S. Health Science & B.A. Psychology
Overall GPA: OTCAS 3.39 (Cumulative undergrad 3.6)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.36-3.6 (depending on school)
GRE: AW 4.5, V 151, Q 149

Extra-Curric: D1 student athlete, honor’s student, vice president of Psi Chi, student athlete advisory committee, ACSM certified personal trainer, high school soccer coach

OT Observation/Experience:
· 100 hours total at a pediatric fine motor camp, outpatient surgery center, post surgery rehab center.
· Honors co-op during my last undergrad semester, worked alongside an OT helping children affected by autism, SPD, ADHD. Wrote a research based reflection paper on the development of emotional-regulation and its correlation to pediatric therapy interventions 

Applied: Cleveland State, Ohio State, Shawnee State, Toldeo, University of Pitt, University of Findlay, & Davenport University

Acceptances: Shawnee State University (Open House 3/18/16)
Rejections: Toledo, Pitt, Ohio State
Interviews: University of Findlay (3/11/16)

Any feedback on my application, information on the applied schools (interviews, acceptances, rejections, etc) & other comments is greatly appreciated! This waiting game is terrible...

Update. Still waiting to hear back from Cleveland State University like some others I read. Hopefully we all get accepted to CSU shortly so we know what we are doing with our lives!

Update. Still waiting to hear back from Cleveland State University like some others I read. Hopefully we all get accepted to CSU shortly so we know what we are doing with our lives!

I'm waiting to hear back from them too! Agree with you 100% :)

University: California State University, Fullerton
Major/Minor: Kinesiology/Gerontology
Undergrad GPA: 3.66
Pre-req GPA: 3.46-3.81 (I got a C my first time in A&P2, retook the course and got an A the second time. Not sure if they factor in the first grade, hence the range)
GRE: 157 V, 152 Q, 4.5 writing
Observation Hours: 40 acute inpatient, 50 hand therapy, 30 outpatient peds, 120 SNF
Volunteer: Hospice friendly visitor, volunteer in the activities department at an assisted living
Work experience: retail and reception since I was 16, OT aide at the SNF that I did my 120 hours since August
Other extracurriculars: member of Alpha Phi Omega, CPR/AED & first aid certified, Dean's list multiple semesters

Applied: Rush U, Chatham, Salus, UPitt, UW Seattle, UW Milwaukee, Temple, AIC, D'Youville
Interviews: Salus 11/05, Rush 11/20, Chatham 11/21, Temple 12/21
Acceptances: Salus 11/11, Rush 11/25, Chatham 12/04, Temple 12/23, D'Youville 02/09, AIC 02/17, UW Seattle 03/09
Waitlists:
Rejections:
UPitt 01/14

I think I'm good at interviews, haha. Pretty sure I'll be attending Rush-- the only school that would possibly make me change my mind is UW Seattle. Also, I'm a dark asian girl, if that counts for anything cynical.

Update: Accepted to UW Seattle :soexcited:

Thank you! I actually work at Brain Balance achievement centers. I am the lead sensory-motor and cognitive coach for our center. We work with children ages 4-18 (sometimes older depending on situation) with processing disorders such as ADHD, aspberger's, high functioning autism, and behavioral issues. We work through the sensory motor room which focuses on core, balance, proprioception, fine and gross motor, gait/aerobic activities, listening/processing, and visual exercises. Then we work in the cognitive room on reading and math that stimulates their weaker hemisphere of the brain. It is such a great job! It also really allowed me to stand out during the interview process. Let me know if you have any other questions!:) There are tons of centers all over the country but im in Florida.

Can I ask how you got that job? I actually went through Brain Balance's program as a child and it changed my life and actually set me on my path to want to be an OT!

Can I ask how you got that job? I actually went through Brain Balance's program as a child and it changed my life and actually set me on my path to want to be an OT!
That is amazing! A friend of mine actually saw a post for an open position as a coach and thought it would be perfect for me since I loved OT. I interviewed last summer and got the job! I trained at the Naples, FL Center and I have been working in the Tampa center ever since. I was promoted to lead coach of the center in October. It is so rewarding, I really love my job. Which center did you attend?

Hey! Here are my stats..
Overall GPA: 3.4 (3.36 OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-3.8
Last 60hrs: ~3.75
GRE: AW 4, V 148, Q 141

Applied: University of Texas El Paso, Texas Tech University, Nova Southern University, Winston-Salem State University, St. Scholastica, Brenau University

Interviews: Texas Tech, Brenau
Waitlisted: St. Scholastica, Texas Tech, UTEP
Acceptances: St. Scholastica (2/17)
Rejections: N/A

UPDATE #2: I've been accepted off UTEP's waitlist

Hey! Here are my stats..
Overall GPA: 3.4 (3.36 OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-3.8
Last 60hrs: ~3.75
GRE: AW 4, V 148, Q 141

Applied: University of Texas El Paso, Texas Tech University, Nova Southern University, Winston-Salem State University, St. Scholastica, Brenau University

Interviews: Texas Tech, Brenau
Waitlisted: St. Scholastica, Texas Tech, UTEP
Acceptances: St. Scholastica (2/17) UTEP (3/9)
Rejections: N/A

Update #3: Accepted to Brenau!!

University: Stony Brook University
Major: Bachelor of Science: Psychology & History
Overall GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3.7

Extra-Curric: Member of NSCS and Neuroscience Axis.
Work: 5 year experience as a Sonar Tech USN Submarine. Learned so much about OT & PT after having to witness overwhelming amounts of people getting into all sorts of accidents and babysitting junior sailors while undergoing treatment because they do something stupid like riding on top of a moving vehicle as if it were a skateboard.
Volunteer: Hospital Volunteer at Stony Brook Medicine. 100 observation hours: 30 OT/ 70 Hand Therapy Outpatient East Setauket.

Applied: NYU (I'm kicking my butt for this) & SUNY Downstate

Rejections: Waiting

Wait listed: None as of so far

Interviews: Still waiting for SUNY Downstate

Acceptances: NYU 3/4/2016. ( Argh I should've applied to Stony Brook).
Congrats on your acceptance to NYU! When do you have to make your deposit/decision by?

@julianac4 and @ANJALU I didn't apply to UW lax, however, I went there for my undergrad. I can tell you that most of their grad students come directly from their undergrad programs... so if you didn't attend undergrad there recently, that may be a big reason. A dumb reason, but that is kind of what I have seen from friends that have done a grad program there. Good luck with your other schools - both of your experiences sound awesome to me!
Thanks! Good luck to you as well.

Updated:

University: SDSU San Diego State University

Major: Business with an emphasis in marketing

Overall GPA: 3.0+ish
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V157 Q155 A3.5

Extra-Curric: 200+ hrs with CYKT

Volunteer: 300+ hrs peds, out patient acute, CHT and upper extremity, ADHC

Applied: Belmont University, USC, St. Augustine, Dominican, Huntington, SJSU, Loma Linda, , West Coast, Midwestern University - Downers Grove, Midwestern University - Glendale

Acceptances: Belmont(2/8), Huntington(2/22) - declined admission, Dominican(2/25), St. Augustine(3/9)

Rejections: Loma Linda (2/4 alternate list)

Has anyone been accepted into Concordia University too and know about their program? I am unsure about blended learning for OT, however it is $40,000 cheaper than another program I got into...

University: University of Florida
Major: Health Science
GPA: 3.52
GRE: 309 4.5 writing
Volunteer: 30 in Nursing facility , 15 in outpatient rehab (will complete 100 hours though)
Experience: 3 years teaching in China
Applied: Adventist University

Have an interview scheduled with them. If I don't get in I'll probably just wait till next year to apply to more schools because ADU's application was a bit rushed since I just returned back from China in December.

Major: Neuroscience
Overall GPA: 3.23
Pre-Req GPA: i dunno lol
GRE: 155 Quantitative / 155 Verbal / 4 Analytical Writing

Observation Hours:
60 hours total (mental health, in/out, work conditioning)

Volunteer/work:
US Army 2010-2013, 11B1P

Applied: PhilaU, UofS, UIC, Midwestern (probably not going to accept UofS or Midwestern even if I do get accepted due to super high costs)

Acceptances: PhilaU, UofSciences

Waitlist: None yet

Rejections: None yet

Interviews:

Update: got into UIC!
3/4... not bad for someone with a lower GPA.
I'll be going to UIC :D
I probably won't have to take out student loans with what I have left of the GI bill + Illinois Veterans Grant
woohoo!

I probably won't have to take out student loans with what I have left of the GI bill + Illinois Veterans Grant
woohoo!

Congrats on your acceptance!! I'm waiting to hear back from UIC still When did you get the email? Do you mind sharing your stats?

Has anyone got accepted or heard anything back from St. Augustine MOT program Austin TX. campus?

Had my interview on February 19th and was told that we would hear about decisions 3 to 4 weeks out.

Anyone?

woohoo!
But, did you legit poop out of happiness? Was it a real thing?

AS at Bergen Community College: 3.7 GPA
BA Recreation Administration (Therapeutic Recreation): 3.9 GPA (finishing in may)

Observation Hours: 57 hours in hand therapy and pediatrics
Volunteer: Group activities and one on one sessions with individuals with developmental disabilities. Worked with an OT at this facility.

Took an intro to occupational therapy course (A-)

Applied: Kean, Seton Hall, Columbia, NYU
Accepted: Columbia (3/10)
Wait listed: NYU
Rejections: Kean

Has anyone been accepted to the post-baccalaureate MOT program at Maryville University in St. Louis?

Has anyone been accepted to the post-baccalaureate MOT program at Maryville University in St. Louis?
I did last month! Have you heard anything about the program?

Congrats on your acceptance!! I'm waiting to hear back from UIC still When did you get the email? Do you mind sharing your stats?

Got an email Friday around 1pm. My stats are in the message I quoted with the update... Definitely a lot lower than other applicants which shows it's not just the numbers that count. I honestly didn't think I had a chance when I applied.

But, did you legit poop out of happiness? Was it a real thing?

Yes!
Once immediately after reading the email and once again after I had changed my pants.

Just Google "party hard baby poo"

Last edited:
I did last month! Have you heard anything about the program?

I have heard nothing but great things but I am waiting to hear back from two other schools first. Are you going to Maryville for sure?

I have heard nothing but great things but I am waiting to hear back from two other schools first. Are you going to Maryville for sure?
That is good! I am still waiting to hear back from two other schools too. Do you know anyone that currently goes to Maryville? I have never been there.

FINAL:
University: ASU
Major: Health Science
Overall GPA: 3.75
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9-4.0

Applying: MWU AZ, ATSU, University of Toledo, NAU, MGH, Washington University, Pacific University, St. Catherine University, Creighton University, University of Washinton

Acceptances: University of Toledo, ATSU, NAU, MGH, Washington University

Rejections: MWU AZ, PU, UW, St. Catherine

Interviews: MWU AZ, ATSU, MGH, Creighton (I declined), NAU

Attending NAU!!

Last edited:
I'm excited to finally be able to post this!

Undergrad: Western Washington University
Major: Human Services
Undergrad GPA: 3.49 (otcas)
Prerequisite GPA: 3.87 - 3.94 (depending on school)
GRE: 154 V 152 Q 4.0 AW

Extra-Curric: church children's ministry, college ministry small group leader, musician, camp counselor, homeless ministry outreach

Work experience: ABA Therapist

Volunteer: 229 hrs pediatric clinic, 139 hrs hospital outpatient rehab, 29 hrs geriatrics / productive aging

Applied: University of Washington, Eastern Washington University

Interviews: Eastern Washington University

Acceptances: University of Washington

I have yet to hear back from EWU but I will be attending the University of Washington this fall!!!

I've heard back from a couple schools, so I think I'll play the stats game now too :)

Overall GPA: 3.0
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 152 Quantitative / 159 Verbal / 3.5 Analytical Writing (whoops)

Observation Hours:
70+ hours education
8 hours inpatient (stroke, spinal cord injury, TBI)
3 hours hand therapy
Volunteer/work:
2,100+ hours with AmeriCorps NCCC FEMACorps
Therapeutic horseback riding (~8 years)
Currently employed as a special education teacher assistant, and am an after school tutor

Applied: College of St. Scholastica, St. Catherine University, MGH Institute of Health, University of the Sciences, Bay Path University, Howard University, Midwestern (IL), Huntington University, Indiana Wesleyan University, VA Commonwealth, Chatham, a handful of others because I may be a tad bit crazy.

Acceptances: -patiently twiddles thumbs-

Waitlist: College of St. Scholastica

Rejections: VA Commonwealth (required a GRE writing score of 4.5+), Chatham University

Interviews: MGH, Huntington University, Indiana Wesleyan University

I was accepted into Indiana Wesleyan's OTD program earlier this afternoon!! I ultimately have my fingers crossed for MGH (though really, it will be a tough choice if I have to decide between the two), but I am SUPER EXCITED. :soexcited:

Update to the quoted because why not~!

Acceptances: Indiana Wesleyan University
Waitlist: College of St. Scholastica, St. Catherine University (accepted 3/22), MGH Institute of Health, Bay Path University, Carroll University
Rejections: VA Commonwealth (required a GRE writing score of 4.5+), Chatham University, USciences, Huntington University, MUSC
Interviews: MGH, Huntington University, Indiana Wesleyan University, Hofstra University, Kettering College

tl;dr Life Lesson From Istariell: I was rejected to a handful and waitlisted at five before finally receiving an acceptance, so hang in there friends - all it takes is one!

Last edited:
Is there anyone that is still waiting to hear from Wisconsin: Madison? I haven't heard anything, and when I log into the myUW account, all it says is "pending" by my status! :X freaking out!

Is there anyone that is still waiting to hear from Wisconsin: Madison? I haven't heard anything, and when I log into the myUW account, all it says is "pending" by my status! :X freaking out!

Mine says the same!!

UPDATED! I was previously waitlisted at TWU (houston) but just got an email telling me a spot just opened up. So now I'm faced with hard decision of choosing between UTHSCSA or TWU. Never thought I'd be in this position with my stats...feeling blessed and conflicted simultaneously.

University
: The University of Texas at Austin (graduated in 2011)
Majors: Biomedical Engineering, and Chinese
Overall GPA: 3.13
Pre-Req GPA: 3.89
GRE: 160V 162Q 3.0W

Extra-Curric: Habitat for Humanity, Women in Engineering Program (WEP), VaNTH, Undergraduate research assistant (had 1 publication), Animal shelter worker
Work: Product engineer in a consumer electronics company (non-OT related)
Volunteer: 25 hrs private clinic pediatrics OT, 8 hrs charity organization pediatrics OT (on a ranch), 12 hrs rehab center outpatient OT, 3 hrs aquatics/OT, 5 hrs hippotherapy OT

Applied: UTMB, TWU (houston), UTHSCSA

Rejections: none so far

Wait listed: UTMB

Interviews: UTMB, UTHSCSA

Acceptances: UTHSCSA, TWU (houston)

University: UCSD
Major: General Biology (B.S.) and Psychology (B.A.)
Overall GPA: 3.31 (OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.8-3.9 (depending on school)
GRE: V: 165 Q: 159 A: 5

Observation: 250+ hours Outpatient Peds Clinic, 50+ hours Outpatient & Inpatient Stroke Clinic, ~10 hours Hand Therapy

Applied: CSU Dominguez Hills, SJSU, Samuel Merritt University, University of St. Augustine (San Marcos), University of New England, University of Wisconsin - Madison, MGH IHP, Boston University, University of Washington, University of Puget Sound

Interviews: University of New England (11/13), Samuel Merritt University (11/05), MGH IHP (02/05), Boston University (02/06), University of St. Augustine - San Marcos (declined)

Rejections: CSU Dominguez Hills, Samuel Merritt University

Waitlist: Boston University, University of Puget Sound

Acceptances: University of New England, MGH IHP

Attending: MGH IHP!! :soexcited:

I am almost thinking about going to Maryville. The deadline to accept the offer is next Monday 3/21. Let me know if you know anyone goes there!

Anyone hear anything from University of Saint Augstine (TEXAS campus)? Had my interview there for the MOT program on February 19th. Was told we would hear back 3-4 weeks but I haven't gotten anything.

Anyone hear anything from University of Saint Augstine (TEXAS campus)? Had my interview there for the MOT program on February 19th. Was told we would hear back 3-4 weeks but I haven't gotten anything.

Sounds like applied for the fall start date? Not sure if this info helps, but I applied to the San Marcos campus and heard back 3/9 that was for the May start date though.

Best of luck, the waiting game is a killer.

Sounds like applied for the fall start date? Not sure if this info helps, but I applied to the San Marcos campus and heard back 3/9 that was for the May start date though.

Best of luck, the waiting game is a killer.

Yes that is correct. I applied for fall 2016.

I also found out that the texas campus had a third group of interviewees of 70 and that there were on 10 spots left. Not sure if it was for the MOT program or the PT program.