how are so many premeds so unintellegent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lmao, Imagine being an older male from a privileged background who is a doctor and the system has worked well for. Then imagine interviewing a student who wants to change the establishment and the status quo, it ain't gonna fly. I'm all about standing for my beliefs, but doing so in this case would have very little or no benefit. Even if my closet was entirely full of Che Guevera and Rage against the machine t-shirts I'd still slip in a suit and tone things down for them.

You assume too much. Not every physician is an older male from a privileged background.

One physician who interviewed me was a female resident who, like me, was the first in her family to graduate high school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Huh?

Disclaimer: I didn't really read the previous page, so I apologize if this comment is irrelevant and makes no sense.

No one expects you to completely agree with the way our current healthcare system functions ('the establishment' ?) There are things that work, things that could be better, and things that just don't work. If you have things to say then say them. I would rather accept a candidate whose striving to improve the system than someone who passively sits there and accepts everything as it is because he thinks that's what the interviewer wants to hear. I would want an innovative student whose ready to tackle today's challenges. If you have beliefs then stand up for them. Just be respectful.

it's a mostly non-serious reply to some other joke comment.
You assume too much. Not every physician is an older male from a privileged background.

One physician who interviewed me was a female resident who, like me, was the first in her family to graduate high school.

it's a joke, but there is still a lot of status quo. It's good that you met an exception.

No... not everyone is a tryhard premed gunnin for that 4.0. Most college students are totally okay with Bs you know.. Dont be so pretentious?

less than a 3.0 isn't a B avg yo. Also engineers regularly pull off 3.0+ so less than 3.0 in psych is pitiful

Members don't see this ad :)
less than a 3.0 isn't a B avg yo. Also engineers regularly pull off 3.0+ so less than 3.0 in psych is pitiful
Sorry let me further specify, that some students are okay with Bs and Cs. Is that better for you? Do you feel accomplished?

Reactions: 1 user
nah, bit too controversial to question the establishment considering that they establishment will be the ones interviewing.

Yet, you wish to enter the profession of that establishment.

Yet, you wish to enter the profession of that establishment.

yea, basically, which is why I'm minding my Ps and Qs and not directly questioning it during my interview, otherwise it'd be a one way ticket to rejection. it'll probably go like this afterwards though:
1) become part of the establishment
2) become comfortable w/ being a part of the establishment once you're in the fold
3) be like "whatever i already went through the formalities and my experiences being a doctor gave me the other side of the perspective, and after dealing w/ issues doctors deal with i'm more liable to side with them, especially if i've been through similar issues".

yea, basically, which is why I'm minding my Ps and Qs and not directly questioning it during my interview, otherwise it'd be a one way ticket to rejection. it'll probably go like this afterwards though:
1) become part of the establishment
2) become comfortable w/ being a part of the establishment once you're in the fold
3) be like "whatever i already went through the formalities and my experiences being a doctor gave me the other side of the perspective, and after dealing w/ issues doctors deal with i'm more liable to side with them, especially if i've been through similar issues".

Yes, you (like the rest of us) will become what you loath now (the establishment).

Yes, you (like the rest of us) will become what you loath now (the establishment).

yea, exactly and how many years of school we're going through, all the stress, tests, and hoops, i'd pretty much sign anything for a stable career and future and fight like hell to keep it. cant blame anyone.

yea, exactly and how many years of school we're going through, all the stress, tests, and hoops, i'd pretty much sign anything for a stable career and future and fight like hell to keep it. cant blame anyone.
Which makes you no different than them.

Members don't see this ad :)
my point is why don't they try harder? I am a firm believer that if you put your mind to it you can achieve it. In my opinion laziness of the mind is the worst kind of stupidity. if a person is a fully functioning member of society they have the potential to do anything, but on that same note if you cannot pass the same class 4 times the only person you can blame for your stupidity is you. Its frustrating because I see all these people with the potential to be incredibly intelligent, yet they choose not to try. If you can read and gain knowledge to help others and you choose not to because it would require effort...etc, how come you don't like me, the end.

I think you are confusing "intelligence" with "willfully uneducated," and even then you aren't doing it right. I failed general chemistry twice because I hadn't taken enough math to understand some basic principles that most people run across in high school, and also I had to work a lot. You have no idea what's going on in this girl's head. Maybe this one goal is the only one she's got, and maybe it will get her through college, but for sure it's none of your business.

By the way, I got into medical school. I've also taken and passed graduate level biochemistry classes. Managed to graduate from a top 10 school. Seriously dude, you would have called me a tool when I started my pre-med courses, and you would have been wrong, because you are wrong.

but clearly if they try harder they can. many of them that I have spoken to would rather not study, read, memorize formulas etc. and try to cram 2 nights before and expect an A. Then, they trash a good professor because they didn't study. I mean so many of those people are in my biology class the dept. is forcing the professor to resign after this semester because they band together in groups of 10-15 and storm the deans office multiple times every semester because her tests are challenging them to think on a college level. tell me how people like that are not lazy. how is that not voluntary ignorance? that population I just described is 90% of the premeds at my university.

M A T U R I T Y folks.....

Okay, I'll take the bait and give a serious answer.....

Look at our public highschools. You can get through without doing any work because teachers are afraid of failing anybody (because it makes their own record look bad). Take those kids who have never done homework/studying in their lives, throw them into college where 'pre-med' is supposed to be prestigious (because it impresses your parents) and failure is less an option than a foregone fact.

^Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone who went to public school, but it sure accounts for a lot.
I teach - and I fail plenty of kids who do not have enough understanding... of course this has made me less popular but I don't really care.

Oh yes, it is odd. But that's been covered ad nauseam and really shouldn't surprise people anymore. I'm also really into Star Trek, martial arts and shotgun sports and fantasy novels.
That's cool that you're in to fantasy novels. Have you ever considered writing a fantasy novel where you are some kind of super genius? That seems like a pretty interesting fantasy. Although, I can imagine how it would be hard for you as an author to imagine yourself in that position...

Why are you assuming engineering is harder?
jaguars-fan-gif_original.gif

That's cool that you're in to fantasy novels. Have you ever considered writing a fantasy novel where you are some kind of super genius? That seems like a pretty interesting fantasy. Although, I can imagine how it would be hard for you as an author to imagine yourself in that position...

jaguars-fan-gif_original.gif
Instead, I recommend the Iron Tower Trilogy by Dennis McKiernan.

No... not everyone is a tryhard premed gunnin for that 4.0. Most college students are totally okay with Bs you know.. Dont be so pretentious?

Yeah and most college students don't have any plans after graduation.

Not everyone is cut out for medicine. That's true for all fields.

I mean sure there are lots of us who are naturally smart, work very hard, or even know how to cheat and do well in classes, but there are so many pre-med students that are SOOOOOO dumb... Like they cant make above a 50 on a biology or chemistry test, but are convinced they will get in medicine is the career for them. I even had a girl who was in her 4th time in gen chem 1 try to convince me I had to take a graduate level anatomy course as a pre requisite to med school.... I was just listening to her talk about how she is finally gonna pass with a D in chemistry and I was thinking "wow your a person?! I feel you need to be walked home so you don't walk out into traffic a get hit by a bus!" How do you deal with pure idiocy in your peers? (sorry if this post offends anyone. these opinions are based on numerous interactions and obeservations at my university)

How ar babbies formed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol? Are you serious? I finished the entire trilogy in two weeks.
Then you definitely would have read his sequel series, The Golden Shard. How long did it take you to finish that series? There's no way you did it in 2 weeks.

Then you definitely would have read his sequel series, The Golden Shard. How long did it take you to finish that series? There's no way you did it in 2 weeks.
Never heard of that one, "mate."

Huh?

Disclaimer: I didn't really read the previous page, so I apologize if this comment is irrelevant and makes no sense.

No one expects you to completely agree with the way our current healthcare system functions ('the establishment' ?) There are things that work, things that could be better, and things that just don't work. If you have things to say then say them. I would rather accept a candidate whose striving to improve the system than someone who passively sits there and accepts everything as it is because he thinks that's what the interviewer wants to hear. I would want an innovative student whose ready to tackle today's challenges. If you have beliefs then stand up for them. Just be respectful.

Not that I'm on the OP's side, but this just isn't true. They want BS applicants and everybody knows it. You think your mission statement really resonates with my soul? Please. There are certain things they want to hear, and comments like the one in question here are going to be toxic for any interview. I think we wish that an honest candidate had a better chance, but we know that just isn't the case.

Lol are you mad because I saw through your pathetic ruse?
I just thought you would have some more entertaining behaviors to play around with.

Now quit bothering me. Any decent person would honor that request. Comply or you'll be reported.

Reactions: 2 users
Not that I'm on the OP's side, but this just isn't true. They want BS applicants and everybody knows it. You think your mission statement really resonates with my soul? Please. There are certain things they want to hear, and comments like the one in question here are going to be toxic for any interview. I think we wish that an honest candidate had a better chance, but we know that just isn't the case.

I'm not talking about school's mission statements at all. The 'BS' part of the application process is simply playing 'the game', ie. checkbox activities (research, clinical volunteering, non clinical volunteering, etc.).

But my philosophy for interviews was to absolutely be myself, if I'm not a good fit for the school then I'm not a good fit. I had multiple discussions about access to health care and the ACA, moral global health responsibilities, undocumented migration, research ethics, etc. I stood up for what I believed in in a respectful manner, even if it wasn't quite what my interviewer believed in. I'm not going to try to determine what side of an issue my interviewer is on just so I can agree with them on everything. And no, I don't think this advice is 'toxic' for interviews: I had 10 interviews, 9 acceptances and 1 wait list.

I'll let this be my last comment about this though, as I don't really feel like debating .. and this thread really just needs to end.

Legit lol'd when I saw Professor Khan and imagined Sal trolling here

Reactions: 1 users
Is this a serious question?
Yes. I also would assume English or biology or history was harder. Those require either tons of essays or tons of memorization ... Or both.

Engineering is just playing with some numbers and equations to solve for some variable or to optimize some variable to produce max yield.

When someone tells me they major in history, I always get impressed - I think I failed AP euro exam and I studied a lot.

Last edited:
Yes. I also would assume English or biology or history was harder. Those require either tons of essays or tons of memorization ... Or both.

Engineering is just playing with some numbers and equations to solve for some variable or to optimize some variable to produce max yield.

When someone tells me they major in history, I always get impressed - I think I failed AP euro exam and I studied a lot.

Your view of engineering is very narrow. There's way more to engineering than just that.

Reactions: 4 users

Ahahahahahhahahaha

You are so wrong. Just sit there and stew in your wrongness

Reactions: 2 users

With all due respect.. No.

That's like saying English is just reading and writing down some words or chemistry is just mixing letters with numbers to make formulas or history is just memorizing random dates.

Just because you failed the AP Euro test does not mean it's a very difficult subject (idk, I didn't take it). History may be tough for you, but is also quite easy for other people. That's how it is with many subjects, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. But I think that anyone who knows anything about engineering will agree that it is indeed a quite difficult and rigorous discipline. I have never met someone who thought engineering was easy. I respect all majors, but I have a special respect for engineers.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an engineering major and trust me when I say that it is no walk in the park.

With all due respect.. No.

That's like saying English is just reading and writing down some words or chemistry is just mixing letters with numbers to make formulas or history is just memorizing random dates.

Just because you failed the AP Euro test does not mean it's a very difficult subject (idk, I didn't take it). History may be tough for you, but is also quite easy for other people. That's how it is with many subjects, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. But I think that anyone who knows anything about engineering will agree that it is indeed a quite difficult and rigorous discipline. I have never met someone who thought engineering was easy. I respect all majors, but I have a special respect for engineers.
I am a chem E (BS&MS), it was much much easier than the English and history classes I had to take. Any biology class (bio, genetics) was much harder than any of my chem E classes. Chem E - you can re-dervive anything but those other classes, either you know the materials or you don't - no way to wing it on an exam.

I don't think any major is harder than others. Like you said, it just depends on your individual strength.

Edit: wow I have bad grammar :/

Last edited:
Same! Engineering was easier than my art class - I got a D in that class D: and I tried really hard but my self portrait looked more like a monkey.

Engineering and comp Sci was so much more tolerable as I also had the best roommate in the world - she let me copy all her homework AND baked the most delicious brownies (she says they are normal brownies but I don't believe her - can you become addicted to brownies?)

While we're on topic on brownies... what types do you make?

It would depend how stupid I feel as a pre-med

On most days, I like plain brownies (sometimes sub half of the butter with coconut oil) and other days I like to put in dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or peanut butter swirls :)

Are you a brownie princess? :love:

Another reason SDN SERIOUSLY needs the function of removing a thread from one's view.

And we need to bump more 2-week old threads which have already run their course!

To be fair, taking Gen Chem I four times to pass is excessive, one should consider that chemistry (and maybe becoming a doctor) might not be one's ideal path at that point...

OP, your sig reads "50% of the population has an I.Q. Below the average of 100. That means 1 out of every 2 pre-med students has a below average intelligence."

This is incorrect. An IQ of 100 represents the mean IQ of the population, or a representative random sampling of the total population. Pre-med students aren't a random sampling of the total population; they are a subset of a subset of a subset of the population. Therefore, the subset of students completing pre-medical coursework--which is included in the subset of students focusing their studies on the sciences, which is part of the subset of the population that has attended or is attending an institution of higher education--is not a representative sampling of the total population.

So, OP, why, as a pre-med, are you so unintelligent?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
How is this thread not closed yet? Let's ban the OP while we are at it.