Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who else am I wrong about, eventual?

ETA: Uh huh, the "professional wise guy" is NOT a guy. Misleading!

Eventualeventer = chick

yea thats the one lol glad i got it straight before i meet her at VA!! i was thinking before...wow the clumsy one is a guy? wonder if he's a bean pole because i dont know many clumsy guys except the super tall super skinny ones lol

Members don't see this ad.

sorry rileyroo, not trying to cramp your style but Riley is my dog's name so of course i have to use his name and picture! And Rileys rock! :)

lol it's ok. :D welcome to the forum!

ROFL well it was loosely based on something in another thread about suits, and you were there by the question mark for a reason haha.

Quantized = chick.

Who else am I wrong about, eventual?

ETA: Uh huh, the "professional wise guy" is NOT a guy. Misleading!

Eventualeventer = chick

Sorry. Is this better? :D I call myself the son my dad never had, since we like to do things like channel surf and tell each other off-color jokes. It drives my mom crazy sometimes.

You forgot everyone's favorite troll male poster, who likes to thump his chest and declaim about the superiority of foot euthanasia.

I think Sharpei5 is a dude, too.

Now that I'm here, I'm wearing a brownish gray Anne Klein pant suit with a cream-colored blouse and black pumps with tiny heels. I can't be trusted with anything more than a 1" heel. :laugh:

P.S. My dad is just as klutzy as I am, and he is of average height and weight. He fell off the sidewalk and almost did a face plant just the other night when we were walking, in fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. So for campus tours are you planning on changing clothes? If so what are you changing into. Jeans? And what do we do with out extra clothes while we interview? I don't want to carry an extra bag around all day but I will if necessary.

Ok and this may seem silly-but I grew up in Florida though I live in Utah now..and its cold here but not quite the same level of cold that is in the NE or Minnesota...so should I wear boots for the tour? In Utah I can get away with Crocs and socks..hideous I know but I really don't care they are comfy..:D

Ok so on the garment bag discussion-For carryon you can bring 1 bag and a "personal item" like a purse, pillow, backpack etc. I imagine that a garment bag can be the "personal item" and I can just shove my purse into my bag. I also like the steam shower idea! I thought I saw a thread eairler about jewlery, hair etc...but I'm already posting here..so are there and "no no's" on that stff?

Sorry for all the questions. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I didn't change clothes for my tour, but I would suggest bringing some comfy shoes to walk in. You could just bring a big purse and stuff the other shoes in there. I definitely would not wear jeans. If you are going to change into something more comfortable, at least make it look sort of nice like khakis or navy pants or something. Most people will still be wearing their suits, so you don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. For the shoes...well i'd wear something that still looks sort of nice. I'm not so sure if I'd wear crocs. What sort of boots are you talking about? And for the bag, I brought a small suitcase that I carried onto the plane and my garment bag was my personal item. That way I didn't have to check anything. I just kept my purse in my suitcase

I didn't change clothes for my tour, but I would suggest bringing some comfy shoes to walk in. You could just bring a big purse and stuff the other shoes in there. I definitely would not wear jeans. If you are going to change into something more comfortable, at least make it look sort of nice like khakis or navy pants or something. Most people will still be wearing their suits, so you don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. For the shoes...well i'd wear something that still looks sort of nice. I'm not so sure if I'd wear crocs. What sort of boots are you talking about? And for the bag, I brought a small suitcase that I carried onto the plane and my garment bag was my personal item. That way I didn't have to check anything. I just kept my purse in my suitcase

I did change for my tour, however, as I was staying with friends, I had the freedom to go back to their apartment and didn't have to worry about carrying a lot on with me. I wore khakis, a sweater, and my clunky waterproof clog type shoes that are the ugliest and most comfortable shoes alive. I didn't feel out of place at all--sure, a lot of people were wearing suits, but most people had relatives/families/friends with them, so there were plenty of people wearing jeans.
Comfy shoes are a definite. Lot of people on my tour were miserable in their fancy heels as we hiked around the clinic and up and down stairs.

As for luggage, I have a carry on suitcase with my suit inside that. I was a little worried about wrinkles, but pleased to say, I didn't have an issue. My laptop bag was my personal item.

With a skirt suit, are people wearing hose? I hate them with a passion, but I dont know if it is really acceptable to forgo them for such an occasion...

With a skirt suit, are people wearing hose? I hate them with a passion, but I dont know if it is really acceptable to forgo them for such an occasion...

i hate them too! But i don't think this is the time to forgo them. especially because i saw in illinois' "appropriate attire" that women should wear hose. Since im a tomboy, i can totally see myself snagging them lol. i am bringing two pair with me and keeping one in my purse just incase! i wish i could wear pants, but they are really unflattering for my body type

Looks like my decision was made for me... its supposed to be FREEZING cold here in Bburg (and snowy) so there is no way I am wearing the skirt at the moment... I will set the hose aside for another time I guess. Thanks everyone!

Okay I keep bragging about this to all of my friend.

I got a Theory suit (think over a grand) at a second hand shop where it was on sale for 78 bucks. Taking my store credit from stuff I had consigned there, I only paid 14 bucks for a suit!

seriously if you have an upper-end consignment/second hand shop look there! Most people only wear a suit once or twice!

Okay I keep bragging about this to all of my friend.

I got a Theory suit (think over a grand) at a second hand shop where it was on sale for 78 bucks. Taking my store credit from stuff I had consigned there, I only paid 14 bucks for a suit!

seriously if you have an upper-end consignment/second hand shop look there! Most people only wear a suit once or twice!

NICE!

I have not looked at this thread yet... but lots of good tips here. Awesome! I've got an idea of what I want to wear now (need to go buy it yet, pending interview invite), but (girly question) how should I wear my hair? It's pretty long (past my shoulders) and I usually pull it up and in a bun just to get it out of the way. I'd wear it down but I'm just afraid I'd/they'd be distracted... this may just be me being a tomboy and looking for excuses:laugh: Thank you!

NICE!

I have not looked at this thread yet... but lots of good tips here. Awesome! I've got an idea of what I want to wear now (need to go buy it yet, pending interview invite), but (girly question) how should I wear my hair? It's pretty long (past my shoulders) and I usually pull it up and in a bun just to get it out of the way. I'd wear it down but I'm just afraid I'd/they'd be distracted... this may just be me being a tomboy and looking for excuses:laugh: Thank you!

i'm a tomboy...my hair is up daily. and it will be up on my interview b/c it'll drive me nuts if it's down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wore my hair in a bun for both of my interviews last year and I felt much more comfortable that way. Being that I am in the military, I felt more professional with it up, but only b/c that is what I am used to. For me wearing a suit is like wearing a uniform. I added some small decorative bobby pins just to dress up the bun a bit. Not too much though!

I have a question about hair as well. I'm a huge tomboy and I'm always really busy, so my hair is up in a ponytail every single day. My hair is really thin and straight (can't do a thing with it because it never holds, even in a bun). For my last interview I wore it half-up and half-down, but didn't like it at all. Do you think it would be ok to wear it in a ponytail for the interview (my preferred way), or should I just leave it down looking straight and lanky, even though down might be more 'professional'? I know the interviewers probably don't care at all...but its the whole first impression thing...

I would say (pulling this out of nowhere, although my fashion-savvy friend said to stick with my frizzy pony tail, as opposed to a frizzy something else) that up or at least tied back is better than down, but what do I know. ETA: Barnsey, according to my friend (who is my consultant for everything), ponytails are just fine and more professional than having hair all over the place or in the way.

Oilidigigoat, this is how I packed for my trip to Iowa:
1. Wheely suitcase that is exactly the maximum dimensions for carry-on baggage for the major airlines, containing:
- the suit
- the heels
- extra outfit (more business casual, in case I had a suit disaster or wanted to change for dinner) + extra pair of jeans and socks (I'm an over-packing freak, this was actually about the lightest I've ever packed)
- toothbrush, extra hairbrush
2. A briefcase-like bag (like a big laptop bag) containing:
- all liquids (deodorant, toothpaste) in a 1-quart Ziploc bag, with another 1-quart Ziploc bag for my inhalers and sinus meds
- my purse
- books
- a light sweater
- boarding passes (printed out the night before), Expedia itinerary, ISU itinerary and phone numbers
- iPod and headphones

I wore these shoes (in black), which are a compromise between looks and comfort, for the flight and for the tour (actually, I forgot to change into the heels for the interview. doh).

Thanks eventualeventer! I was hoping that would be ok. I have a really snazzy suit that I think a pony tail would look fine with, but didn't want to make a fashion faux pas! I'll be much more comfortable in a pony as well.

i always wear my hair up too!! But since my hair is super thick and wavy it doesn't look professional at all in a ponytail. I also have these little frizzies on the side of my head that poof out. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I def need to spend a lil time blow drying it or else i will look like a monster haha Whatever i decide i will bring a small brush and wear my hair band around my wrist (like i always do) so i can change it during the day if i want.

I am also packing 2 outfits, especially because of the snow we are supposed to get in VA this weekend. I'm so glad i dry cleaned my skirt AND pants so now i can wear either depending on the snow. This is the one time i reallllly don't want snow lol

did anyone take a padfolio or folder into the interview with questions, etc? i know that some have mentioned writing down questions, info, etc. for the interview but hadn't heard if anyone took anything into the interview or not.

did anyone take a padfolio or folder into the interview with questions, etc? i know that some have mentioned writing down questions, info, etc. for the interview but hadn't heard if anyone took anything into the interview or not.

i plan on taking a padfolio into the interview room with me. However, for VA's MMI i'm not sure if we're allowed to write during it. But i am taking it into my "normal" interviews. There is no way i'll remember the Qs i want to ask. I will also keep my photo in there and probably a print out of my poster or abstract of my paper (manustrict not fully written yet), and my resume...just in case lol. oh and my Avon Walk donation coupons...just in case they ask about community activities and someone randomly says they'd like to donate for w/e reason. haha it seems like a lot, but i just get so worried of tiny things that i want to be prepared so i don't kill myself later if i forgot something that could have made the interview more personal

This thread always cracks me up....... I would be just as amused reading about how all of you are going to get ready for a first date with someone!! HAAAA The hair woes are the best :D

Totally thought Eventual was a dude based on his...er her post about being a 'wise guy'....got me. I was surprised though, to think she was a he :laugh:

I agree on both parts (the hating and the having to wear them anyway).

if your skirt is low enough, you can get away with knee high stockings. I won't wear pantyhose at all; I switched to garters and thigh highs in HS, and never switched back. At least bathroom trips are easier that way!

I have a question about hair as well. I'm a huge tomboy and I'm always really busy, so my hair is up in a ponytail every single day. My hair is really thin and straight (can't do a thing with it because it never holds, even in a bun). For my last interview I wore it half-up and half-down, but didn't like it at all. Do you think it would be ok to wear it in a ponytail for the interview (my preferred way), or should I just leave it down looking straight and lanky, even though down might be more 'professional'? I know the interviewers probably don't care at all...but its the whole first impression thing...

You might ask someone to teach you how to do a french twist/knot. It works well with thinner hair, you can use both combs and pins to hold it, and it looks professional. If you go for a ponytail, I would suggest placing it close to the collar; otherwise nervous movement can cause the hair to swing, which may be distracting.

I have the opposite problem. My hair is really thick and wavy/curly. I can get it to do just about anything except look decent when pulled up. If I pull it up there is always some extra strand or frizzy piece sticking out making it look funny. I always wear my hair up...I like it better that way. But I think I might wear it down for the interview so it doesn't look like a big thick mess. I really have yet to decide what I am going to do. Good Luck to everyone else at their interviews!!:luck:

I have the opposite problem. My hair is really thick and wavy/curly. I can get it to do just about anything except look decent when pulled up. If I pull it up there is always some extra strand or frizzy piece sticking out making it look funny. I always wear my hair up...I like it better that way. But I think I might wear it down for the interview so it doesn't look like a big thick mess. I really have yet to decide what I am going to do. Good Luck to everyone else at their interviews!!:luck:

lol that is exactly what i was trying to say in my hair post. i hate those stupid frizzies on the side of my head! i think i will wear mine down too even tho it is long, there is no way i can get it to look professional in a ponytail

I wore my hair half up for my ohio interview

Here's a bit of advice I got the first time I applied... if you really never do anything with your hair (or you aren't used to fixing long hair, which was my case) you can see about getting your hair 'fixed' before the interview. Now, I dunno if it's worth the time or money, but it could be one less thing to worry about.

I have short hair now, so... it's just gonna be there. Hopefully our hairstyles don't matter too much, you know?

This thread always cracks me up....... I would be just as amused reading about how all of you are going to get ready for a first date with someone!! HAAAA The hair woes are the best :D

Totally thought Eventual was a dude based on his...er her post about being a 'wise guy'....got me. I was surprised though, to think she was a he :laugh:

"O/T: The First Date Thread":laugh:

I wasn't sure about the wise guy thing, but now it's just ***, so now "wise ass"? I don't mean to prod eventual, my mom calls me that every day...

Thanks for the tips about the hair... I think I might get it cut and play with a straightener to see how it is. No helmet hair allowed!

I've also got LONG curly/poofy/frizzy hair, and I don't particularly fancy bringing my straightening iron on the plane. I typically throw my hair up in a twisted bun and hold it there with a small alligator clip every day. With some extra product and a few bobby pins, I also occasionally get away with this style for formal events (ie the local horse show circuit's award banquet), so this is my plan. Fudge my way through with lots of de-frizz serum!

I love the turn this thread has taken :D. I too am conflicted about how to wear my hair, especially since I don't have clothes yet (still waiting to actually be INVITED to interview). My hair is straight and a few inches past shoulder length. It doesn't stay "fresh" very long when worn totally down, I fear that half up/half down makes me look even younger (I'm turning 21 in the next few days, and people typically think I'm in the 16-17 age range, though it's better if I'm wearing makeup), a bun looks too severe on me, and a ponytail just seems too casual. :rolleyes: :laugh: Just thought I'd join in the commiseration. Is anyone curling their hair to interview?

I'm just sad that if some poor sucker school decides to interview me by mistake, I'll have to dye my hair a natural color. Nevermind figuring out how to style the mop. :smuggrin:

I'm just sad that if some poor sucker school decides to interview me by mistake, I'll have to dye my hair a natural color. Nevermind figuring out how to style the mop. :smuggrin:

All I could think of when I read this was that one of our anatomy instructors hair is currently colored pink. it was done a month or so ago for breast cancer awareness. and a bunch of students and a few instructors are shaving for a charity fundraiser in a month or so. I may be one of those.

I refuse to change my hair color. I have really dark hair so if I dye the unnatural part to match my natural hair I will never be able to return to my fun color after the interviews. I just hope I do not have any really conservative interviewers! In general the interviewers won't mind that much, right?

My plan is actually to use another temporary color to cover up the pink. SFX (the brand I use) makes some burgundy shades that are more natural-looking.

For whatever reason, the pink color that I currently have in absolutely refuses to wash out or fade, so I think that when the burgundy washes out the pink will be as good as new with some refreshing.

For the record, I also have very dark brown natural colored hair, and had to go through a lot of bleaching to get my current results.

It probably depends some on the school and your interviewers - and how unnatural we're talking. UCDavis might be more liberal than some about it, but I still don't think I'll be taking any chances if I get an interview here - despite the fact that I work and do research at the vet school every day with this hair color. I look at it this way - sure they see me with pink hair on a day to day basis, but they also see me in jeans and hoodies and such and I sure don't plan to wear THOSE to the interview...

It probably depends some on the school and your interviewers - and how unnatural we're talking. UCDavis might be more liberal than some about it, but I still don't think I'll be taking any chances if I get an interview here - despite the fact that I work and do research at the vet school every day with this hair color. I look at it this way - sure they see me with pink hair on a day to day basis, but they also see me in jeans and hoodies and such and I sure don't plan to wear THOSE to the interview...

Yeah, there may be folks out there that consider it unprofessional. I know if I do shave my head, I will need to wear scarves and such to keep it from distracting clients in the hospital. Even if the interviewer doesn’t have an intentional bias against it, if it distracts them from your answers, it may create an impression in them that ‘the candidate didn’t say much’ even if you are very elegant. Not fair, but I have experienced it from the interviewer’s side.

We had a young woman come in for a zoo internship interview with a fair number of piercings (at least half a dozen in one ear, and a few less in the other, and at least one eye brow, one nose, and one lip.) I don’t have any actual objections to piercings, and think many of them look very attractive on some individuals, but I admit the ONLY thing I could think about while she was interviewing was how delightful the macaws, raccoons, and kinkajous would find that jewelry and the risk of potential injury to her. Maybe she never would have worn them while working with those animals, I don’t know. I do know that she came back for an interview the following year with no jewelry other than a few studs in her ears and we offered her the position. I didn’t actually realize it was the same person until she brought it to my attention. Marvelous woman, but I was too busy going over the ‘what if’s’ during the first interview to hear what she was saying.

As far as unnatural hair color goes, mine is pretty subtle, so I don't think it will distract them. Let me put it this way, it took the people I work with a couple weeks to notice.

When I remember and am motivated, I use CHI Silk Infusion. It's an awesome leave-in defrizz conditioner potion which does not make your hair stiff or plasticky.

Unfortunately, I won't have time before my interview at VT to get my hair done. :(

Yup, sorry about the wise guy confusion. I think of it as a general term for us Peanut Gallery denizens. The stars are for wise ass. I wasn't sure whether SDN would censor it.

sumstorm said:
If you go for a ponytail, I would suggest placing it close to the collar; otherwise nervous movement can cause the hair to swing, which may be distracting.
My hair doesn't swing, it just poofs. :D I actually get a nice effect by tying my hair back in a high ponytail, then parting the hair above the scrunchie and pushing the pony tail back into the part so that it forms sort of a bun. I've never tried hair pins, but I'd probably poke out an eardrum.

I thought of you guys this afternoon. My lab group (fly and bat geeks) had a meeting to PLAN the rest of the meetings for the semester. You wouldn't think it would take very long, but we spent 45 minutes picking a time and debating what to discuss this semester. We're about as good as this board at staying on topic. ;)

P.S. For Maryland folks with curly frizzy hair, there's an awesome guy in Frederick on S. 6th ??? St. who did a great job with my hair. I think it was something like $50 for a trim and minor style. Sadly, I've been too busy lately to get my butt back up there.

For people with piercings, if the piercing is relatively healed you can take the jewelry out for the length of the interview-- most won't close up that quickly. I take out all of mine for interviews, aside from my first lobe piercings, and even though those are larger gauge piercings they're very discrete.

I love the turn this thread has taken :D. I too am conflicted about how to wear my hair, especially since I don't have clothes yet (still waiting to actually be INVITED to interview). My hair is straight and a few inches past shoulder length. It doesn't stay "fresh" very long when worn totally down, I fear that half up/half down makes me look even younger (I'm turning 21 in the next few days, and people typically think I'm in the 16-17 age range, though it's better if I'm wearing makeup), a bun looks too severe on me, and a ponytail just seems too casual. :rolleyes: :laugh: Just thought I'd join in the commiseration. Is anyone curling their hair to interview?

Happy Early Birthday!!! I will be 22 in May and I also get told all the time that I look really young. Actually, just last month I was carded on the way into a rated R movie. :confused: Wearing my hair up makes me look younger so that is why I will probably wear it down. I will probably slightly curl my hair since I can never get it completely straight.

Happy Early Birthday!!! I will be 22 in May and I also get told all the time that I look really young. Actually, just last month I was carded on the way into a rated R movie. :confused:
WTF? On the subject of carding, I went to a $$ restaurant with a friend for my 21st birthday, and they didn't even card me when I asked for an appletini! I guess they figured that underage people don't bother trying to get hammered at nice restaurants.

Happy birthday, aspiringDVM! I'm not sure how I missed that the first time around.

WTF? On the subject of carding, I went to a $$ restaurant with a friend for my 21st birthday, and they didn't even card me when I asked for an appletini! I guess they figured that underage people don't bother trying to get hammered at nice restaurants.

Lol!! I went to Vegas two days after my 21st birthday and for the entire week I was there I was not carded a single time. It is weird...I wonder how they decided who and who not to card??? :confused:

"i'll take an appletini, easy on the tini" ;) (scrubs, if you dont' know)

so on my friends bday we dared him to order this, the bartender goes "what?" *awkward face* and then leaves him to help someone else. hahaha then 5 min later he gave him his drink, of course it tasted nasty cuz it was just apple, but the memory has lasted forever!

I'm over thirty, and one of my profs earlier this semester commented about me being 'young and fresh out of undergrad.' I know I picked my jaw off the floor, since I consider my physical appearance, at best, to be matronly.

As someone who has been an interviewer many times, I would say the following:

Definitely wear hose with a skirt. Don't wear knee-highs unless you are certain they don't show when you sit or wiggle, even in a low chair. It is very distracting when you can see the top of them.

A pony tail is fine, but wear a clear or neutral (like black or brown) ponytail holder - not a fluffy holder like a scunchie (sp?).

Hope this helps!

A tip to make a pony look a little more professional is to take a small chunk of hair and wrap it around where the rubber band is and pin it in place kind of like this....
4074526300_0cffa89236_o.jpg

As someone who has been an interviewer many times, I would say the following:

Definitely wear hose with a skirt. Don't wear knee-highs unless you are certain they don't show when you sit or wiggle, even in a low chair. It is very distracting when you can see the top of them.

LOL! that is why I mentioned garters as well! However, most of my business suits do just fine with knee highs (I have been on camera enough to be certain.) I gave up on panty hose when my job barely allowed me time to grab a swallow or two of water let alone mess with pantyhose in the bathroom. I also have a body type that tends to cause pantyhose to either bunch or sag (small ankles, calves, knees, big thighs and hips)… which I think is probably equally distracting (think bulge of material at the knee.) And if you can see my garters my skirt is either indecent, or the interviewer is intentionally putting themselves in a situation to see up a skirt. Though I am like many others on here…hate hose!

iBut since my hair is super thick and wavy it doesn't look professional at all in a ponytail. I also have these little frizzies on the side of my head that poof out.

I have the frizzies too! My family calls them my "wings!" :(

Happy Birthday to all the January Birthdays!

I've got hair that doesn't know if its curly or straight, and it's LONG. Past the small of my back when its straight or wet. Tends to be difficult to work with...even harder to do something "quick" to it.

For interviews, what I did was straighten it the day before, before I got on my flight. Quick shower when I get to wherever, keeping the hair dry. The dampness gives it just a tiny bit of wave without going crazy, and once it's been "slept on," it actually looks halfway decent without looking greasy from a ton of product, or flattened like my curls tend to get.

If I take a regular shower, my curls really only look decent while they're still half wet. Then they frizz. So straight it is, and that way, I can even avoid bringing the straightener with me.
I pulled the top half back loosely, so it was out of my face and off my shoulders, and Ta-Da I was done.

I'd love to be able to really curl it, in hot rollers, but they take up too much space in the bag, and need to be done the day of the interview.

That was the method for Kansas anyway. I'm going for a haircut tomorrow--first in over two years, so we'll see how cooperative it becomes after that.