Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL thanks everyone :D. I'm definitely looking forward to the first birthday since I started college that I don't have 2-3 exams! And happy birthday to you, Jpeterman.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry. Is this better? :D I call myself the son my dad never had, since we like to do things like channel surf and tell each other off-color jokes. It drives my mom crazy sometimes.

You forgot everyone's favorite troll male poster, who likes to thump his chest and declaim about the superiority of foot euthanasia.

I think Sharpei5 is a dude, too.

Now that I'm here, I'm wearing a brownish gray Anne Klein pant suit with a cream-colored blouse and black pumps with tiny heels. I can't be trusted with anything more than a 1" heel. :laugh:

P.S. My dad is just as klutzy as I am, and he is of average height and weight. He fell off the sidewalk and almost did a face plant just the other night when we were walking, in fact.

Yeah I'm a guy, and after reading through this thread I am relieved that I am, all I have to do is roll out of bed throw on a suit, run my hand through my hair and head off to interview. I feel for you ladies, I'm sure you all will look great whether your hair is straight or curly or your suit is black or brown or your blouse is red/blue/green/teal/orange/yellow. Lets hope your clothing will not be the deciding factor of whether you are admitted or not .
Maybe I missed the point of this thread, it could be about just talking for fun about interview attire. I guess this proves I'm a guy.

Yeah I'm a guy, and after reading through this thread I am relieved that I am, all I have to do is roll out of bed throw on a suit, run my hand through my hair and head off to interview. I feel for you ladies, I'm sure you all will look great whether your hair is straight or curly or your suit is black or brown or your blouse is red/blue/green/teal/orange/yellow. Lets hope your clothing will not be the deciding factor of whether you are admitted or not .
Maybe I missed the point of this thread, it could be about just talking for fun about interview attire. I guess this proves I'm a guy.

:laugh:

Yes us ladies can be quite picky about how we look at times...especially for important things. Although I really do hope no one attempts to wear a yellow or orange blouse..that might be a little over the top although while I was liking at blouses I was tempted to get a bright purple/blue tie-dye looking one with the hope that at least they will remember me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to straighten my hair but worried that if it rains, it will be curl and frizz. I am now thinking about using my hairagami. With a little gel or hair spray it makes a perfect bun. Takes some practice, but I always get compliments on my hair when I wear it.

I have a question about hair as well. I'm a huge tomboy and I'm always really busy, so my hair is up in a ponytail every single day. My hair is really thin and straight (can't do a thing with it because it never holds, even in a bun). For my last interview I wore it half-up and half-down, but didn't like it at all. Do you think it would be ok to wear it in a ponytail for the interview (my preferred way), or should I just leave it down looking straight and lanky, even though down might be more 'professional'? I know the interviewers probably don't care at all...but its the whole first impression thing...

If you really want to put your hair in a bun and your hair will hold a ponytail, I know how you can put it in a bun. I am in the military, so I am very knowledgable on the "perfect bun". Here are the steps on how to do it:
1) Get a sock that is close to the same color as your hair ( a dress sock for short or thin hair or a longer, tube sock for longer or thick hair). This takes some playing to figure out which one you need. Cut the foot off of the sock so that you are left with the "tube" open at both ends.
2) Roll the sock in on itself so that you create a "donut"
3) Put your hair in a ponytail. If you do this with your hair wet, it will be less likely to frizz out by the end of the day or use lots of hairspray, gel, etc.
4) Take your sock donut and slide it over the ponytail (so that it is around the rubberband, kinda like it is now the ponytail).
5) Spread your hair over the donut and use another rubberband to place over the "hair donut"
6) You may or may not have extra hair around the bun depending on the length of your hair and the size of the sock. Wrap the extra hair around the bun and use hair pins to secure it (hair pins work better, they are "crooked" on both sides, while bobby pins are straight on one side and "crooked" on the other). You may have to go to a beauty supply store to get the hairpins.

It only takes a little bit of practice to get this "perfect bun" There may be some videos on youtube, but I couldn't find any GREAT ones.

I was going to straighten my hair but worried that if it rains, it will be curl and frizz. I am now thinking about using my hairagami. With a little gel or hair spray it makes a perfect bun. Takes some practice, but I always get compliments on my hair when I wear it.

I love my hairagami!!! Now that my hair is longer, instead of the sock, I use the hairagami. I had to order 3 of them to make sure I had enough of them to last the year in Iraq!

Yeah, there may be folks out there that consider it unprofessional. I know if I do shave my head, I will need to wear scarves and such to keep it from distracting clients in the hospital. Even if the interviewer doesn’t have an intentional bias against it, if it distracts them from your answers, it may create an impression in them that ‘the candidate didn’t say much’ even if you are very elegant. Not fair, but I have experienced it from the interviewer’s side.

We had a young woman come in for a zoo internship interview with a fair number of piercings (at least half a dozen in one ear, and a few less in the other, and at least one eye brow, one nose, and one lip.) I don’t have any actual objections to piercings, and think many of them look very attractive on some individuals, but I admit the ONLY thing I could think about while she was interviewing was how delightful the macaws, raccoons, and kinkajous would find that jewelry and the risk of potential injury to her. Maybe she never would have worn them while working with those animals, I don’t know. I do know that she came back for an interview the following year with no jewelry other than a few studs in her ears and we offered her the position. I didn’t actually realize it was the same person until she brought it to my attention. Marvelous woman, but I was too busy going over the ‘what if’s’ during the first interview to hear what she was saying.
Nyanko and sumstorm, thank you for your comments and suggestions regarding unnatural hair color. You have definitely answered my question of how to wear my hair (if I tie it back the color is mostly hidden). I also asked all of the vets I work for if I should dye over it and they told me that leaving the color in will not be a problem. It was an issue I was concerned about, so thank you!!

Hey guys! I was randomly searching "vet interview prep" and found a document from Texas A&M pre-vet site that said wearing a skirt suit to an interview in unprofessional. Is this true? Or is that just a weird Texas thing?

RunTheWorld, I've heard the same thing - that for pre-vet, a skirt is considered unprofessional. No CLUE why, and it's perfectly acceptable in other fields, but since I hate skirts anyways I'll be sticking with a pantsuit. :D

RunTheWorld, I've heard the same thing - that for pre-vet, a skirt is considered unprofessional. No CLUE why, and it's perfectly acceptable in other fields, but since I hate skirts anyways I'll be sticking with a pantsuit. :D

I've never had anyone say as much, but I've gotten a similar vibe from various people. Maybe it has something to do with such a female-dominated profession overcompensating in the opposite direction? Like if we wear a skirt, it will make us seem too girly and not able to cope with the rough and dirty demands of the veterinary profession? I really don't know, just musing. I'd say if you have a skirt suit that works for you, by all means wear it!

i would def think that may be a texas thing. otherwise, no way. ive talked with many people from all schools and they dont care if you wear a skirt or pants. whichever you choose, make sure they fit professional (not too tight, not too short). i wore a skirt suit for my vmcrvm interview and i didnt feel out of place. there were other girls with skirts and even this dress that looked like a suit until she stood up and i realized it was a one piece dress. if the weather would have been warmer im sure i would have seen more skirts.

Absolutely! At both my Missouri and VMRCVM there were lots of girls in skirt suits. I wore one for Mizzou and was fine. I did not wear one at Virginia-Maryland partially because I knew I would have a long day of classes, interview, and dinner w/friends. I wasn't sure it when it would start snowing and did not want to trek around campus in a skirt and pantyhose :thumbdown:.

I've never heard in anyother profession that a skirt suit is unsuitable when a pantsuit would be fine. Boo Texas :bullcrap:.

x2

Members don't see this ad :)
I just thought I'd throw out that New York & Co. usually has some really nice sales on suits. I got two on clearance last year for less than $100 apiece. They're especially nice if you're like me and have a long torso and arms and want a suit jacket that covers your hips and wrists without also being large and boxy. Oh, and most of their pants also come in long and short lengths if the regular 32" inseam just doesn't cut it for ya.

I have to say that I'm biased: I've worked at Express for almost 5 years (during undergrad and while I was a vet tech as well) and I love their suiting options. I bought myself an awesome skirt and vest with their longsleeve essential shirts (shirt with collar) and it was awesomely snazzy at my RVC interview. It will be making an appearance at my Tufts interview tomorrow. They may be a little pricey (I got a discount, LOVE that I work there sometimes), but they're really comfortable and wearable for many years.

Other than that, I find the skirt suit very professional. I like to think of it as the woman's powersuit. I feel sexy AND confident in it.

Wow, so many topics in this thread, can't resist.
Should I get interviews, I plan on wearing a suit. Picked one up before a wedding for about $150 from an S&K that was circling the drain. I would love to wear my Class A uniform - looks pretty good with the awards and the glistening jump boots, but it probably sends the wrong message.

On age - don't feel bad. I still get carded - I'm 6 months out from 35 and haven't looked under 21 since I was 27, tops.

Oh yeah, add me to the XY club.

I know some people in another thread said something about bringing things with them to the interview-a resume, a photo, an abstract, etc. Were you able to actually bring them out if necessary? Like, if you were talking about your research, is it appropriate to whip out your abstract for the admissions people to read or put in your file?

I know some people in another thread said something about bringing things with them to the interview-a resume, a photo, an abstract, etc. Were you able to actually bring them out if necessary? Like, if you were talking about your research, is it appropriate to whip out your abstract for the admissions people to read or put in your file?

I had no need in any of my interviews for anything I brought in the room. If you want them to read your abstract, they probably won't during the interview because of the time constraints but I don't think there is a problem saying something like "If you are interested in reading my abstract at a later time, I've brought copies." I would only do that if they seem really interested in learning more about it.

I don't think there is a problem saying something like "If you are interested in reading my abstract at a later time, I've brought copies." I would only do that if they seem really interested in learning more about it.

i agree. i brought my abstract with me but during my interview they really seemed to want to talk about my goals and future not about my research. when i told the "cold" interviewer i do research on diabetes and obesity she began to explain how they have a lot of research at their university in this area and how i could find a lot of labs that would take me on during the summer. they didn't even ask me about my specific project so i didnt think it was right to give them my abstract. So, if your experience was like mine i wouldnt bother, but if they ask you to explain your project then you can always mention that you have a hard copy if they would like it for later!

As it gets closer I'm getting more nervous about the whole thing. I don't know what shirt to wear under my jacket, I have no shoes yet, I don't know what to do with my hair, I don't have a padfolio. AHHH!! I feel like I'm so behind and I'm freaking out a little bit, but I don't even have time to freak out because of school.

I don't have shoes either and my suit needs to be altered! Even though the pants are petite size they still need to be hemmed, and the jacket needs to be taken in.

As it gets closer I'm getting more nervous about the whole thing. I don't know what shirt to wear under my jacket, I have no shoes yet, I don't know what to do with my hair, I don't have a padfolio. AHHH!! I feel like I'm so behind and I'm freaking out a little bit, but I don't even have time to freak out because of school.

Breath Bearby! You'll do fine. The biggest thing in any interview- be it behavioural or open file is that they want to get to know some part of you. You are always you (whoa a bit philisophical there) so you alread have the most important part.

As far as the shirt goes- I tried on half a dozen and one was really cute but not me it wasn't until the last one where the sales lady said "Oh you look much more comfortable and like yourself in this shirt". So find one that you feel comfortable in. Ditto for shoes.

I still don't have a padfolio and it was never a problem. Generally there was somewhere to set stuff down before the interview so if they give you a folder you don't have to take it in with you.

Finally, the debate about resume. Honestly they have a limited time to talk to you and just my experience, they just want to talk. In open file they have all that info about you so I think they want to make sure the duck quacks like a duck. In the behavioural its not so much what you've done as how you present it. I heard of one student at a school that does behavioural interviews- she talked about weight watchers in her interview.

You'll do great! Reading the SDN questions and practicing them with a friend really helped me. I hope they help you. Sorry this is long-winded and I'm new to SDN, I hope I haven't stepped on any toes, this is all just personal opinion.

Breath Bearby! You'll do fine. The biggest thing in any interview- be it behavioural or open file is that they want to get to know some part of you. You are always you (whoa a bit philisophical there) so you alread have the most important part.

As far as the shirt goes- I tried on half a dozen and one was really cute but not me it wasn't until the last one where the sales lady said "Oh you look much more comfortable and like yourself in this shirt". So find one that you feel comfortable in. Ditto for shoes.

I still don't have a padfolio and it was never a problem. Generally there was somewhere to set stuff down before the interview so if they give you a folder you don't have to take it in with you.

Finally, the debate about resume. Honestly they have a limited time to talk to you and just my experience, they just want to talk. In open file they have all that info about you so I think they want to make sure the duck quacks like a duck. In the behavioural its not so much what you've done as how you present it. I heard of one student at a school that does behavioural interviews- she talked about weight watchers in her interview.

You'll do great! Reading the SDN questions and practicing them with a friend really helped me. I hope they help you. Sorry this is long-winded and I'm new to SDN, I hope I haven't stepped on any toes, this is all just personal opinion.

Definitely not stepping on toes. I definitely appreciate what you had to say. I'm going to look for shirts again today, and shoes too.

Be careful when making your shoe decision!

I wore a skirt suit to my interviews, and basically bought the first pair of black, closed-toe, low/medium-heel shoes that fit for under $40... (if you ask me, none of the choices were very attractive anyways.)

Wish I had opted for flats though! 1) No one notices your feet :) and 2) hour-long tour directly after my interview = broken toes for a week!

I've never worn closed-toed heels and if I can avoid it, I never will again...

I bought an awesome pair of Clarks. Clarks are always comfortable, and they have many ankle boots so that, if you're wearing pants, you don't have to worry about hosiery (which I hate and it's itchy). And they are so comfortable, and look great with jeans so you can wear them and love them for years. They probably run $100-$150 but hey, if you would buy them anyway... awesome investment.

I bought an awesome pair of Clarks. Clarks are always comfortable, and they have many ankle boots so that, if you're wearing pants, you don't have to worry about hosiery (which I hate and it's itchy). And they are so comfortable, and look great with jeans so you can wear them and love them for years. They probably run $100-$150 but hey, if you would buy them anyway... awesome investment.

Wearing hosiery with pants??? Madness!!

I get open-toed thing I guess, though I probably wouldn't wear open toed shoes to an interview anyway. But showing skin on your feet is too risky???

I have a feeling that if I even ever set foot into the state of Oklahoma at least six people would immediately keel over from shock upon seeing me... ;)

Haha well, I doubt it would matter on the hose thing, but I also hate sticky suction feet so I prefer socks or something when I'm not in all-out sandals. Maybe that's why I assumed hose were necessary.

As for you, well, your hair would certainly cause some dirty looks here and there. I'm sure you'd get more crap in small town Oklahoma than you would here, but hey, at least you aren't black. That's the worst. :rolleyes:

So I have an interview at PEI next week and I'm still having issues. My dad thinks that the pant suit I bought doesn't look good (but I'm pretty sure nothing will ever be good enough for him). He wants me to do a skirt suit but there's been debate about whether it's looked down upon in vet med or not. The other problem I have with a skirt suit is that I think I would be freezing. I'm from the South and I've been cold here the past few days, I can't image trying to be comfortable in a skirt when there's snow everywhere. Anyway, still trying to figure out what to do. I think I'll probably stay with the pants because I'll feel more comfortable and be able to focus on the interview instead of what my legs/skirt are doing

So I have an interview at PEI next week and I'm still having issues. My dad thinks that the pant suit I bought doesn't look good (but I'm pretty sure nothing will ever be good enough for him). He wants me to do a skirt suit but there's been debate about whether it's looked down upon in vet med or not. The other problem I have with a skirt suit is that I think I would be freezing. I'm from the South and I've been cold here the past few days, I can't image trying to be comfortable in a skirt when there's snow everywhere. Anyway, still trying to figure out what to do. I think I'll probably stay with the pants because I'll feel more comfortable and be able to focus on the interview instead of what my legs/skirt are doing

I think you should wear the pant suit if that's what your most comfortable in. ;) I'm sure it looks great! (What do dads know about clothes anyways? lol).

But if you opt for the skirt, I don't really think its an issue. There were other skirt suits at both interviews I went too. I hardly ever wear skirts but decided on one because I bought my suit while visiting my ps (in Chicago) just before I flew back to Wyoming. (Needless to say, I wasn't going to be able to buy something here that didn't have a huge belt-buckle. Ha!) I'm REALLY short and always need to have dress pants tailored and didn't have time for that. So a skirt seemed easier. But if I had more time, I probably would have gone with pants.

My dad didnt want me to wear a pants suit either. But he is right, I look better in a skirt. I have a pear shaped body and i'm short so if i wear pants i look like a blob. But if i wear a skirt and a fitted jacket my curves look really nice. A fitted jacket REALLY makes a big difference.

I wore my skirt suit to 2 interviews and i wore hose. I was not cold (even in the 8 degree weather) and surprisingly there were lots of other skirts there! I thought I'd be the only one lol. If the weather is cold, the students who give the tours usually try to avoid going outside for long periods.

In the end, go for w/e you feel comfortable in and feel good in. For myself, I chose the skirt (even though i dont wear them often) because it boosted my self esteem and that was more important to me. It made me feel more confident during the whole day.

I saw plenty of women wearing pants suits to their interviews (myself included). I wore pants because I knew I would be cold (I'm from CA, haven't worn a skirt all winter...and it doesn't even get that cold here) and I'm much more comfortable wearing pants. I wouldn't say pants suits are frowned upon, either--I had 3 interviews, and the one that I got rejected after, I knew didn't go well. You'll be sitting at a table anyway, so your legs will be underneath and not visible anyway.

bearby:

dress appropriately and comfortably, and don't let thoughts of what you're going to wear get in the way of the more important preparations you need to make for interview day.. (i.e. preparing answers to those questions on the interview feedback that they do actually ask)

BUT...imo--you should wear the pants :)

Hate to resurrect this thread after all this time...

But can we talk make-up? Do I wear any? A little? Obviously, not a lot, but how much is too much. I'm not a girly-girl and NEVER wear it day-to-day, but I feel like it's expected a little in situations like this.

I love Reitmans. I have a pair of black dress pants from there, which are possibly the most comfortable and most flattering dress pants I ever worn. And they don't need to be ironed. :love: And they were only $30. I have a purple silk blouse, short sleeved, but my interview is late May and I'm going to be wearing a blazer, so hope it's okay? I already have a blazer, but it doesn't quite match my pants (different texture/fabric), so need a new one. Is jewellery appropriate? I have a small silver horse I wear for luck. Yes/no?

Shirts tucked or untucked? It seems like a lot of women's blouses are designed to be worn untucked, and if you tuck them in, it looks weird, but not sure if it'd look sloppy. Mom is constantly tucking my shirt in...

Going to buy shoes on Monday. I hate shoe-shopping. :rolleyes:

I hardly ever wear makeup, so for my interviews I just wore a tiny bit of foundation, and very quiet eyeshadow and lip gloss - I'd be uncomfortable with more. I kept my earrings in (two holes plus a stud in my cartilage), just kept them simple, and I wear a chain with a triskele on it all the time that I also left on for the interviews. And a watch. I think as long as you keep it classy and simple, you're fine.
I also left my button-down blouse untucked, simply because that's the way most of them are designed these days. Saw a few girls with nice tops on, or a button down under a sweater-vest. Again, as long as you are dressed appropriately and you're comfortable, you'll be fine!

Thanks. I'm so out of my element in this respect. :oops: I live in t-shirts and jeans, and when I have to get dressed up, I wear kimono, so a suit is foreign territory for me! I'm almost considering taking my esthetician older sister to PEI with me so she can prep me! :p

I'd say just be yourself. You want to be comfortable and you won't be if you are worried about how your make up looks or smudging it and what not. I usually just wear mascara day to day so I just went with the usual.

Bringing back the old thread, read through it all and am worrying quite a bit about what to do. Got all excited looking at flights and starting to prep interview questions, but forgot for a day about the whole clothes/appearance part of it, ugh. I've never worn a pantsuit and feel like I would look ridiculous in one, but I'm afraid from all that's been said here that black dress pants and a blouse wouldn't be dressy enough. Not doing a skirt because I'm afraid of freezing to death. So don't know what to wear and need to figure it out really soon! Also, my warm jacket is a purple peacoat, I hope that doesn't look weird to wear with business attire, but freezing isn't in my agenda.

Purple peacoat = totally okay. ;)

And I can totally agree with everything that cowgirla said. A good suit is worth the investment, because this certainly won't be the last time you need it. I bought one for my interview last year and once I found a suit that flattered me, I felt it made me look more confident and professional (a big leap for a girl who has a collection of Hello Kitty t-shirts :oops:). I'm 23, but usually get mistaken for 18, so a good suit and a pair of heels made me feel like a future vet, rather than the awkward, geeky undergrad that I am.

I think a blouse and dress pants would work as long as it's the right kind of blouse. Nothing overly sparkly or low cut, but bright colours are good.

Bringing back the old thread, read through it all and am worrying quite a bit about what to do. Got all excited looking at flights and starting to prep interview questions, but forgot for a day about the whole clothes/appearance part of it, ugh. I've never worn a pantsuit and feel like I would look ridiculous in one, but I'm afraid from all that's been said here that black dress pants and a blouse wouldn't be dressy enough. Not doing a skirt because I'm afraid of freezing to death. So don't know what to wear and need to figure it out really soon! Also, my warm jacket is a purple peacoat, I hope that doesn't look weird to wear with business attire, but freezing isn't in my agenda.

Dress pant and a nice top are just fine, that's what I wore to all my interviews (and got in to all schools I interviewed at). You will be stressed enough at the interview there is no reason to wear something you are uncomfortable being in as well. Good luck!

Has anyone interviewed for a school in the UK and worn a skirt suit? I have an interview in Scotland and am wondering what their view on skirt suits would be?

This is probably going to be a ridiculous question to most of you but I've lived in Miami, FL since graduating high school and have never had to deal with wearing a suit in icy/cold weather. I have an interview at Kansas in January and hear that it's quite cold and icy there during that time. Any advice from the ladies on what types of shoes to wear to the interview so that I don't end up slipping during the tour and falling on my butt??

I also need to go buy a suit made of thicker material. I've gotten spoiled living down here!

This is probably going to be a ridiculous question to most of you but I've lived in Miami, FL since graduating high school and have never had to deal with wearing a suit in icy/cold weather. I have an interview at Kansas in January and hear that it's quite cold and icy there during that time. Any advice from the ladies on what types of shoes to wear to the interview so that I don't end up slipping during the tour and falling on my butt??

I also need to go buy a suit made of thicker material. I've gotten spoiled living down here!

I wore a pair of low heels to all of my interviews but brought a pair of sneakers for the walking interviews. I don't think the Kansas tour goes outside at all, so if you've got a bag you can bring with you, store your heels in there until you get away from ice. But if I recall, they did a good job of salting and plowing.

None of my dress clothes fit me right now. Can't I just wear a bathrobe to the interview? sigh. :(

I had to buy a new suit last time. Being a weiner and not trying mine on until I know I'll need it this time. I was smart though - solid black suit from Express. So if my butt has somehow expanded even more (!!!) then I can just go buy a new pair of black Editor pants and not have to replace the top. Unless I grow on top... bahahaha. Not happening.

Actually, I recommend this heavily. If you might interview again, buy a black suit if you're wanting a suit. I got a tan one last time and I LOVED it... but good luck replacing those pants.

Has anyone interviewed for a school in the UK and worn a skirt suit? I have an interview in Scotland and am wondering what their view on skirt suits would be?

SOV: LOL! Good point.

Tamsdivision: I wore a skirt suit to my interview for RVC and everything seemed fine. I wasn't the only one there with a skirt suit either.

I am obessing over my outfit again this year....
Do you think "fit" matters? It seems like I remember a lot of "fitted" suits last year. Do you think this comes across more manicured....
But then on the other hand does a looser blazer type coat make you look more "conservative" and professional.
I just can't decide.