Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone applying for PGY-2 in ID?

Members don't see this ad.

How many programs did you guys apply to for PGY2?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many programs did you guys apply to for PGY2?
9 total. It was going to be 10, but one of the programs had an early commit at the last minute. Lame.

I'm hoping to hear something soon. I feel like I'm just getting crickets right now. I didn't have a good residency application process last year, so I'm really anxious, apprehensive, and nervous…three things I was trying to avoid while I'm on one of my more difficult experiences this month! Blah.

so far I've heard back from 5/7 programs. 3 interviews and 2 rejections, but I have interviews at my top two reach choices! so excited.

I have a phone interview set up for next week at my top choice and they said it would be 10 minutes and I wasn't allowed to ask any questions. Anyone have any experience with these types of interviews?

9 total. It was going to be 10, but one of the programs had an early commit at the last minute. Lame.

I'm hoping to hear something soon. I feel like I'm just getting crickets right now. I didn't have a good residency application process last year, so I'm really anxious, apprehensive, and nervous…three things I was trying to avoid while I'm on one of my more difficult experiences this month! Blah.

Good luck! I'm thinking this week and next week things will pick up a lot. I had a crappy time last year as well, so I know how you feel. I'm sure it'll go great! :)

Got a couple invites and no rejections so far. I think I'll be hearing more around the holiday weekend when programs play catch up.

Just happy the first contact was for invites. Rejections would have made me nervous.

I have two interviews and two rejections. I am still waiting on a bunch. Does anyone have interviews that are on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two interviews and two rejections. I am still waiting on a bunch. Does anyone have interviews that are on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays? Thanks.
I scheduled one on a Tuesday. I've been trying to schedule them on Mondays and Tuesdays to study over the weekend. I'm still waiting on quite a few as well, mainly my east coast programs.

I've been trying to schedule for Monday and Friday, but my only choices have been middle of the week. It makes it a bit hard because I could potentially take off 3 days of work for an interview. I feel bad for missing work, but they know the importance.

I work seven on seven off. I only have six open Mondays and Fridays, but I have tons of other weekdays open. Thanks for the input.

Invite number 2 for PGY2. This is going much better than last year. So far no rejections, either! :)

surprisingly, I've already heard back from all 7 PGY-1 programs I applied to. 4 interviews and 3 rejections. so excited!

Invite number 2 for PGY2. This is going much better than last year. So far no rejections, either! :)
What specialty are you applying to?

I got my first rejection today. So 3 and 1 right now. Waiting on 4 more. I think I'm only going to get 1 more invite.

What specialty are you applying to?

I got my first rejection today. So 3 and 1 right now. Waiting on 4 more. I think I'm only going to get 1 more invite.

Applying for ID. Turned in six applications, so waiting on four programs still.

Anyone know if ucsd has sent out pgy-1 onsite invites yet? (If we're allowed to ask that :p)

surprisingly, I've already heard back from all 7 PGY-1 programs I applied to. 4 interviews and 3 rejections. so excited!
man I applied to 14 and so far 1 interview and 1 rejection. The suspense is killing me! A lot of my deadlines were 1/10 though so I'm thinking next week will be a big week with hopefully some good news

congrats and good luck to ya though

Can I also just mention today I got two sales calls, both with voicemails from states I applied to far away from where I live. You can imagine my frustration when i played the voicemails thinking it was the programs only to hear "We can install your alarm system for free!!!"

So far, 5 invites and no rejections. Still waiting on 8 more programs to respond. Travel logistics starting to look ... expensive and time consuming ...

man I applied to 14 and so far 1 interview and 1 rejection. The suspense is killing me! A lot of my deadlines were 1/10 though so I'm thinking next week will be a big week with hopefully some good news

congrats and good luck to ya though

Can I also just mention today I got two sales calls, both with voicemails from states I applied to far away from where I live. You can imagine my frustration when i played the voicemails thinking it was the programs only to hear "We can install your alarm system for free!!!"

I've heard nothing so far :( I guess next week will be when it all starts...

ALSO. The same thing happened to me yesterday! I got a stupid spam phone call from a faraway state that I applied to, as well. I was so disappointed when I picked up and found that it was nonsense.

oh man another rejection to kick off my weekend. This one was def a long shot but in an awesome city

I got another rejection today that came in the mail to my surprise, so I'm now 3 and 2. Blah. Waiting to hear back from 3 more places.

Last edited:
First rejection today. Womp womp.

First rejection today. Womp womp.

It sucks. It's like you're feeling good about yourself after the first couple of invites and then that one rejection is like "whyy??"! That's how I felt anyways. lol

Serious question: is there an accepted/proper etiquette to turning down interviews without burning bridges?

It was discussed last year and the gist was that if you're going to do it go ahead when they offer it to you. Apologize and say you can't accept the offer (I guess it'd be up to you if you want to say why). Don't accept them then cancel it.

It was discussed last year and the gist was that if you're going to do it go ahead when they offer it to you. Apologize and say you can't accept the offer (I guess it'd be up to you if you want to say why). Don't accept them then cancel it.

Thanks Goldfish! Always appreciate your responses : )

Would it be within reason to request rescheduling in light of incoming interview invitations?

Would it be within reason to request rescheduling in light of incoming interview invitations?

Maybe KARM12 could step in and answer this, she's more experienced with this stuff but if I were a director, I wouldn't be too happy with someone wanting me to reschedule them for an interview to go to another interview. I feel like that says you're more interested in interviewing with the other program than you are mine.

Maybe KARM12 could step in and answer this, she's more experienced with this stuff but if I were a director, I wouldn't be too happy with someone wanting me to reschedule them for an interview to go to another interview. I feel like that says you're more interested in interviewing with the other program than you are mine.

I was thinking more along the lines of possibly consolidating interviews in regions into blocks to avoid flying into the city 2 or 3 times (assuming there are available dates within that week) rather than rescheduling due to overlapping interview dates. I'm fine with traveling each time too, it's just a 2-3x times more expensive to do so. The cost is chump change in the overall life-time picture so I haven't really requested any programs yet about rescheduling.

When programs offer a list of dates, does the number of dates offered usually correlate with the number of people they will be interviewing? I've had the option to rank my top 3 date preferences of anywhere from 10 to 25 possible interview slots. I guess I'm trying to figure out how many people I'm up against, not that it will change how I do anything, just curious.

I was thinking more along the lines of possibly consolidating interviews in regions into blocks to avoid flying into the city 2 or 3 times (assuming there are available dates within that week) rather than rescheduling due to overlapping interview dates. I'm fine with traveling each time too, it's just a 2-3x times more expensive to do so. The cost is chump change in the overall life-time picture so I haven't really requested any programs yet about rescheduling.

Sorry, that wasn't clear in your question. I've heard people ask programs if it was okay to reschedule to avoid multiple trips to the same area, and I don't think any of the programs have had problems doing that if a spot on the day you want to interview is available.

Sorry, that wasn't clear in your question. I've heard people ask programs if it was okay to reschedule to avoid multiple trips to the same area, and I don't think any of the programs have had problems doing that if a spot on the day you want to interview is available.

Thanks. Yea I guess I wasn't totally clear since it could work multiple ways

I applied to 9 places (all close to their deadlines though because I was so paranoid about my LOIs and I kept re-doing them)... so far I've gotten two interviews, but I JUST applied to 2 places on Wed. and the last one today... It's prob. going to come back and bite me in the end that I waited so long since they are going to either A. think I am a procrastinator or B. think I am not serious about their program. : /

I applied to 9 places (all close to their deadlines though because I was so paranoid about my LOIs and I kept re-doing them)... so far I've gotten two interviews, but I JUST applied to 2 places on Wed. and the last one today... It's prob. going to come back and bite me in the end that I waited so long since they are going to either A. think I am a procrastinator or B. think I am not serious about their program. : /

Nah, I literally sent in most of my applications for pretty competitive residencies an hour before they closed (same reasons as you). So far 4 interview invites, no rejections. I obviously don't know that much from the other side of things, but I don't think I'd hold it against anyone who applied close to the deadline unless we specified it was rolling admissions, or had early deadline + late deadline options. I bet your LOI was stellar since you worked on it so hard so don't worry! : )

so far, not as good as i had hoped, 3 rejections :wideyed: and 1 telephone interview that was a few weeks ago (so I'm assuming that's a rejection). waiting on 7 more but I'm starting to think a residency is not in my future :nailbiting: this process is draining.

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has heard back from Palomar, Huntington, or Kaisers in CA?

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has heard back from Palomar, Huntington, or Kaisers in CA?

I think some of my classmates got a couple calls for Kaisers (but don't know which ones, there are so many of them!)

Just wanted to wish all of you the best of luck! This process was super stressful and draining last year, but all worth it in the end!

Thank you, Kmoogs.

Sorry my response wasn't very helpful. :-/

I guess it's still early-ish for interview invitations? I'm still waiting on 5 of my programs