Iowa State University c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who has accepted / is planning to accept their offer looking into housing yet? The trailer parks seem to be the obvious way to go, but it's freakin' impossible to get one right now...
I have bought a trailer already in the park right next to the school! I wouldn't say its impossible to get one, when i went down there to look a couple weeks ago there was quite a few for sale. I will also be looking for a roommate!

Members don't see this ad.

I have bought a trailer already in the park right next to the school! I wouldn't say its impossible to get one, when i went down there to look a couple weeks ago there was quite a few for sale. I will also be looking for a roommate!

Are you located in the Old Orchard park? Does the park still have trailers for sale? I'm seriously considering buying one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to buy a trailer your FY, you can buy one during your second year.

So we're supposed to hear our number on the waitlist by the 6th right? I'm getting anxious! haha

So we're supposed to hear our number on the waitlist by the 6th right? I'm getting anxious! haha

You can message them and get your number if you need it right now (if you really want to go to ISU and waiting to send your deposit elsewhere). Last month I was at 127 and as of Monday morning I'm at #48 (position 72 with 24 in front of me with no replies and this was the last day to reply). I ended up withdrawing myself earlier this week anyway since I decided on MSU.

Again, don't message them unless you were in my situation. If you really are seriously considering ISU and are waiting to send in your deposit elsewhere then they'll be happy to let you know where you stand on the list early. If not, just wait a few more days and you'll have your official number.

Good luck to everyone on the list. From the info she gave me on previous years, a lot of you will be called off. :)

You can message them and get your number if you need it right now (if you really want to go to ISU and waiting to send your deposit elsewhere). Last month I was at 127 and as of Monday morning I'm at #48 (position 72 with 24 in front of me with no replies and this was the last day to reply). I ended up withdrawing myself earlier this week anyway since I decided on MSU.

Again, don't message them unless you were in my situation. If you really are seriously considering ISU and are waiting to send in your deposit elsewhere then they'll be happy to let you know where you stand on the list early. If not, just wait a few more days and you'll have your official number.

Good luck to everyone on the list. From the info she gave me on previous years, a lot of you will be called off. :)

Did they happen to mention how many they typically pull off the waiting list?

This is what Kathy messaged me.

Last year we went to 69 out of 103 to fill the non-resident slots and the year before that we went to 62 out of 105. Before that (2012) we went to 94 out of 95 which I was sweating! It would be difficult to say if you would receive an offer or not. Based on the last two years, you are close but you may want to accept MSU to guarantee the position.

Last year I believe they got to 48? And thanks for the info Felixor90!

When you say this was the last day to reply...last day to reply to what?
Thanks for the great info! Very helpful.

The alternate ranking is already posted on your portal page.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah mine isn't there...it just says alternate-alternate list. I guess I need to call them tomorrow =\

Yeah mine isn't there...it just says alternate-alternate list. I guess I need to call them tomorrow =\
Oh no! I hope they've gotten it sorted out for you?
Update!
This list is moving already, I was extended an offer yesterday (the 10th). I was #13
Good luck everybody!!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Oh no! I hope they've gotten it sorted out for you?
Update!
This list is moving already, I was extended an offer yesterday (the 10th). I was #13
Good luck everybody!!! :)

Yeah, apparently they didn't assign me a spot....pretty unprofessional IMO when I paid all this money to fly out there etc etc.
It was all this big hubbabloo that they took 2 days to figure out.

Accepted today! I was 35th

Reactions: 2 users
Just declined my OOS seat! To whoever gets it, ENJOY!

Iowa State is awesome, but another school one me over!

I don't know....pretty sure they didn't assign the OOS admits a number. I was never on the waitlist, if that's what you mean.

I don't know....pretty sure they didn't assign the OOS admits a number. I was never on the waitlist, if that's what you mean.
Oh sorry! I thought you meant on the waitlist. Congrats on getting in elsewhere!

Hopefully you get the email tomorrow that you got the spot!

I just got my acceptance! I was #38. See the rest of you in Iowa and good luck to everyone else!!

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted #41 yesterday but will be turning it down for my in-state school! Good luck to everyone else!

How are they notifying acceptances? Phone calls or through the messaging system?

How are they notifying acceptances? Phone calls or through the messaging system?

They will notify you through the messaging system. I also received a phone call the next day. She said that they were making sure that I had checked the portal.

Accepted as well...#71A. Still debating as to wether or not I should go....if anyone could give me some information on Iowa State's program (particularly equine) that would be wonderful. I only have 5 days to decide! :scared:

Declined my OOS acceptance today good luck all on wait list

In the trailer park that you all are talking about, are there a set number of animals that you can have in your home?

In the trailer park that you all are talking about, are there a set number of animals that you can have in your home?

The limit is 2 pets and only one can be a dog. I've met a lot of vet students there who have way over that limit. The owner of the trailer I'm buying had 2 dogs and 3 cats and never got in trouble. What I've been told is as long as you're pets are good and you don't let them run around the park going crazy you will be fine.

The limit is 2 pets and only one can be a dog. I've met a lot of vet students there who have way over that limit. The owner of the trailer I'm buying had 2 dogs and 3 cats and never got in trouble. What I've been told is as long as you're pets are good and you don't let them run around the park going crazy you will be fine.

Ok. Thank you so much for the info!! I wanted to be sure that I could bring my traveling circus since I'll be renting out my house here in S.C.

Accepted as well...#71A. Still debating as to wether or not I should go....if anyone could give me some information on Iowa State's program (particularly equine) that would be wonderful. I only have 5 days to decide! :scared:

What's holding you back?
Have you been accepted to other comparable colleges?
Can ISU Vet. Med. answer some questions you have?

What's holding you back?
Have you been accepted to other comparable colleges?
Can ISU Vet. Med. answer some questions you have?

Yes I have been accepted to Kansas State as well. I emailed ISU and they answered all of my questions very thoroughly. I think I am going to go with KSU for more intangible things then anything...both of them are very good schools and I will get a great education wherever I go. So I'm pleased with that :)

I got called off the OOS wait list today - I was #70. Declined my seat. Good luck to the next person!

I got called off the waitlist earlier this week, but I will be declining my seat. Good Luck to those of you still waiting!

Accepted OOS. So excited to be a cyclone!!

I got accepted to Iowa State Vet School and will be starting this fall!! I have purchased a trailer in Old Orchard Mobile home park close to the vet school and am looking for a roommate. Feel free to message me for more details if interested.

For those of you at the end of the waitlist there is still hope! I was 93 on the OOS waitlist and yesterday I was offered admission to Iowa State Vet School. I have already accepted a position at my IS school so I declined the offer. Good luck to those of you still on the waitlist!!!

If anyone is still looking for housing I have a room in a great 4bedroom 2bath house close to campus and pet friendly! $350 per month plus utilities! :D

Hey everyone! I'm an in-state ISU c/o 2020 applicant, and I was wondering how many people got to committee review and then got REJECTED before having an interview? Do most people in committee review get an interview? I'm in committee review and trying to gauge my odds of getting an interview, which I know isn't really possible... Just curious! I'm in the same place all of you were last year around this time! I'm very anxious to hear back, and nervous, and excited at the same time! Thanks!

Hey everyone! I'm an in-state ISU c/o 2020 applicant, and I was wondering how many people got to committee review and then got REJECTED before having an interview? Do most people in committee review get an interview? I'm in committee review and trying to gauge my odds of getting an interview, which I know isn't really possible... Just curious! I'm in the same place all of you were last year around this time! I'm very anxious to hear back, and nervous, and excited at the same time! Thanks!

If I remember correctly, the first review is just to eliminate people with really low numbers (<3.0 gpa; don't know for gre), then committee review is where they decide if you get an interview or not by looking at your numbers, experience hours, and personal statement. Your odds at that point are about 50/50 to 1/3 depending on the applicant pool. They gave us exact numbers last year and they were something like ~1000-1500 make it to committee review and ~400 get interviews. Then ~150 get accepted and ~150 get waitlisted, with the remainder getting rejected post-interview. Try not to worry about predicting the future, because I know people with higher stats than me that were rejected. You really never know what they're looking for. Good luck!

If I remember correctly, the first review is just to eliminate people with really low numbers (<3.0 gpa; don't know for gre), then committee review is where they decide if you get an interview or not by looking at your numbers, experience hours, and personal statement. Your odds at that point are about 50/50 to 1/3 depending on the applicant pool. They gave us exact numbers last year and they were something like ~1000-1500 make it to committee review and ~400 get interviews. Then ~150 get accepted and ~150 get waitlisted, with the remainder getting rejected post-interview. Try not to worry about predicting the future, because I know people with higher stats than me that were rejected. You really never know what they're looking for. Good luck!
This was so helpful, I really appreciate the response! I'm in the same boat you all were last year, so I'm sure you can understand my anticipation! But you're right, watching paint dry doesn't make it dry any faster :wacky: