Kentucky animal nutrition course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringDVM

AU CVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the ASC 380 independent study course at the University of Kentucky? My school doesn't offer any ag/animal science courses, so I'm stuck taking the animal nutrition prereq for Auburn either online or by correspondence.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately I can't help you with Kentuckys course, I didn't even know they offered one.

I think I will be taking an animal nutrition course as a pre-req for applying to Florida...right now I'm looking into taking it online either through Rutgers or Purdue. I think North Carolina State University also offers an online course, as may a few other schools.

From reading past threads, it seemed like many people liked Purdue's course. Hope that helps at all!

Hey Aspiring, I am currently taking the online Animal Nut. course through Purdue. I have put it off, but for the most part I think that it is a great course. My only complaint is that it is very expensive. I am also taking it as a prereq for Auburn. It was very easy to register for and the format is through blackboard. So, I hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rutgers, for out of state, is nearly $2,500, so how much is Purdue?

Thanks, I'll definitely look into the one at Purdue. I was planning to do the UK one last summer, but they temporarily suspended enrollment at the same time I sent in all the paperwork and didn't see fit to inform me of this for about 6 weeks :mad:. With that incident as a precedent for communication, I'm now a bit worried about the course.

Last edited:
Sorry but I dont know anything about the course at UK, but if you are in Lexington you could look into the animal nutrition at Morehead State. I dont know much about it but I know they offer one that satisfies Auburn's requirement.

Has anyone taken the ASC 380 independent study course at the University of Kentucky? My school doesn't offer any ag/animal science courses, so I'm stuck taking the animal nutrition prereq for Auburn either online or by correspondence.

I took it a couple years ago when I was doing the last of my undergrad. Its a decent course. Took me a bit of time to finish it because of my regular coursework but it wasn't that bad and the professor was really good about responding to my emails. The only pain was putting things in the regular mail. I would have preferred it being an online course instead of just an independent study course.

I took the Animal Nutrition course from UK this past fall semester. Dr. Austin Cantor taught the course and I thought the course was great. It was set up through BlackBoard and all material was submitted over the internet. I didn't have to submit any paper mail unless I wanted to. There's a lot of math involved with the class and at times it can be frustrating, but I learned a ton!

Thanks for all the input, everyone! Now I just need to find time to actually take the class...

Rutgers, for out of state, is nearly $2,500, so how much is Purdue?
Purdue is around $1000.00 by the time you pay all of the fees. Now that I see how much Rutgers is I take back my only complaint.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into the one at Purdue. I was planning to do the UK one last summer, but they temporarily suspended enrollment at the same time I sent in all the paperwork and didn't see fit to inform me of this for about 6 weeks :mad:. With that incident as a precedent for communication, I'm now a bit worried about the course.
Are you at Transy by any chance, Hopenpray?
Hey Aspiring, not sure what you mean by Transy other than a transient student, but it that is it no I am not a transient. I just registered for the course through Purdue's web site and distance learning link. I get tired of filling out all of that transient paperwork.

Transy = Transylvania University (which means "across the woods" in Latin -- we were around decades before Dracula was published).
Since you also took animal nutrition forAuburn, I thought you might be a KY student at a non-ag school like mine. I'm the ONLY member of my class who's pre-vet, and I was just hoping in vain for some company :).

Transy = Transylvania University (which means "across the woods" in Latin -- we were around decades before Dracula was published).
Since you also took animal nutrition forAuburn, I thought you might be a KY student at a non-ag school like mine. I'm the ONLY member of my class who's pre-vet, and I was just hoping in vain for some company :).
Hey Aspiring, sorry I didn't get the lingo. I know how you feel about being the only pre-vet around. I am in the South but not in Kentucky. I am also at a non-ag school. It is mostly pre-health, and teaching. Most of these folks haven't stood next to a cow much less assisted in palpating one. Good luck on getting the animal nut. pre-req.