LA Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
How is the LA market these days? Have a friend getting $300/hr doing easy solo cases. Heard from another person that Henry Mayo is offering $400/hr? But have not personally verified.

Members don't see this ad.

300 an hour buys you a chicken mcnugget combo in LA. Why anyone wants to live in that godless hell scape is beyond me.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
300 an hour buys you a chicken mcnugget combo in LA. Why anyone wants to live in that godless hell scape is beyond me.

One thing that is never brought up in this forum is that if you happen to be a certain ethnicity like Korean, Armenian, or Persian, LA offers community and cultural amenities that cannot be matched anywhere else. Places where elderly parents can gather and feel at home. Even other top 10 cities cannot match it. The pull can be very strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One thing that is never brought up in this forum is that if you happen to be a certain ethnicity like Korean, Armenian, or Persian, LA offers community and cultural amenities that cannot be matched anywhere else. Places where elderly parents can gather and feel at home. Even other top 10 cities cannot match it. The pull can be very strong.
Tons of Koreans in New York.
Tons of Persians in wash dc/new york
(Yes I know southern ca is the Mecca for Persians (half of them live there as I have lots of Persian friends) just like Southern California is also Mecca for Vietnamese and Miami is Cuban land where elderly parents don’t have to relearn a language.

But my point is you don’t necessarily have to live in LA to experience what dc or New York can offer elderly parents who are of Persian decent.

Reactions: 1 user
(Yes I know southern ca is the Mecca for Persians (half of them live there as I have lots of Persian friends) just like Southern California is also Mecca for Vietnamese and Miami is Cuban land where elderly parents don’t have to relearn a language.

But my point is you don’t necessarily have to live in LA to experience what dc or New York can offer elderly parents who are of Persian decent.

Very true. My aunts, uncles, and cousins are “New York Koreans”. I was just trying to give one perspective on why someone might want to or need to live in LA. One of our partners moved to LA for a job that paid significantly less because her immediate and extended family are “LA Koreans”.

Reactions: 1 users
Most people who grew up in Southern California want to go back. Especially minorities. This is a stereotype to some degree but being closer to family is an important part of life for a lot of East and South Asians.

I'm not anesthesia, but I took a worse lower paying job to be close to my parents and siblings.

It was worth it especially when one parent got fairly sick and needed major surgery. Being able to be close by to help out was priceless.

Reactions: 8 users
Man I thought this was about Louisiana and I was like "What? Asians? Persians? What the hell are they doing in the swamp?"

• Haha
I'm a graduating fellow who chose a job in LA because my spouse found a job there.

LA groups are primarily production/RVU based. Outside of Kaiser and the academic hospitals, most groups are 1099 rather than w2. Everyone forms their own S-corp to help with tax deductions. The groups that I looked all currently have new hires make 100% partner rates, and the units are insurance blended. Partnership track is anywhere from 1-3 years without any additional buy-in.

Almost all of the people who work in LA all have some sort of connection. They either grew up there or did their training there. Most of the better groups hire by word of mouth. I would not have found the group I signed with without asking my friends who work in the area.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah it took me 6 hrs to get to a 3 hr destination from LA to northern cali recently on a drive cause of that traffic. Yes the weather is great, the girls are pretty but the cost for a doc who is striving for FI or FIRE can be more of a challenge. Sure if your dual MD that's one thing.

I'm a graduating fellow who chose a job in LA because my spouse found a job there.

LA groups are primarily production/RVU based. Outside of Kaiser and the academic hospitals, most groups are 1099 rather than w2. Everyone forms their own S-corp to help with tax deductions. The groups that I looked all currently have new hires make 100% partner rates, and the units are insurance blended. Partnership track is anywhere from 1-3 years without any additional buy-in.

Almost all of the people who work in LA all have some sort of connection. They either grew up there or did their training there. Most of the better groups hire by word of mouth. I would not have found the group I signed with without asking my friends who work in the area.

Every single group in LA, OC and SD is hiring and short staffed. 100% partner rate for new hires is the norm.

Also, if your hospital is a non profit, you are newly eligible for PSLF. Even in PP.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it took me 6 hrs to get to a 3 hr destination from LA to northern cali recently on a drive cause of that traffic. Yes the weather is great, the girls are pretty but the cost for a doc who is striving for FI or FIRE can be more of a challenge. Sure if your dual MD that's one thing.
I’m curious, what NorCal destination is normally a 3 hr drive from LA?

• Haha
How is the LA market these days? Have a friend getting $300/hr doing easy solo cases. Heard from another person that Henry Mayo is offering $400/hr? But have not personally verified.

Very difficult to know dollars per hour based on typical private practice eat what you kill compensation structure. Anyone in OC or LA proper actually making $300/hr? What are people out there actually making? I think $225-250/hr is more realistic.

I must have missed the memo on the hiring spree
Too late, no take backs!!

Yeah because NY is so much cheaper than LA... To me, NY is the worst place to practice medicine. At least I have sunshine, good Chinese food, and good weather if I'm gonna be poor in socal.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Every single group in LA, OC and SD is hiring and short staffed. 100% partner rate for new hires is the norm.

Also, if your hospital is a non profit, you are newly eligible for PSLF. Even in PP.

Surprisingly the LA academic hospital positions seem be competitive, at least for cardiac. I loosely looked into academic jobs in LA and was shocked to see how low the compensation packages are considering the high COL and taxes. And yet, people still want those positions. I'm coming from a big east coast training program, and it seems like you either need a very well padded CV or have done some amount of training in LA to even get your foot in the door. Most of my emails/faculty introductions were all unanswered.

Too late, no take backs!!

Yeah because NY is so much cheaper than LA... To me, NY is the worst place to practice medicine. At least I have sunshine, good Chinese food, and good weather if I'm gonna be poor in socal.
My buddy who is Korean. We did internship together in nyc. He’s from LA proper. Grew up there.

Eye doc. Did his eye training southwest. Fellowship in south. Moved back to Southern California proper in the city for 10 plus years. Where all the family is.

But moved back to nyc to live the last 4 years and loves the city. He enjoys the city life.

My buddy who is Korean. We did internship together in nyc. He’s from LA proper. Grew up there.

Eye doc. Did his eye training southwest. Fellowship in south. Moved back to Southern California proper in the city for 10 plus years. Where all the family is.

But moved back to nyc to live the last 4 years and loves the city. He enjoys the city life.

Yeah there's nothing like paying 20 bucks (plus tax and tip) for a margarita and listening to loud cars, loud music and loud sirens all night long

Nyc is dirty smelly and crowded

• Haha
  • Dislike
Very difficult to know dollars per hour based on typical private practice eat what you kill compensation structure. Anyone in OC or LA proper actually making $300/hr? What are people out there actually making? I think $225-250/hr is more realistic.

It’s not difficult at all if you keep track of your cases.

$250/hour would come out to $518k per year gross income, assuming 45 hours per week and 6 weeks vacation. That’s a bit low, even for LA/OC these days.

There are many factors to consider when people choose a job. Family, spouse, marital status (custody) friends and general comfort with an area. Many established people already have homes/condos/etc.

Yeah there's nothing like paying 20 bucks (plus tax and tip) for a margarita and listening to loud cars, loud music and loud sirens all night long

But it is fookin noo yawk. Ya dum fook.

• Haha

$250/hour would come out to $518k per year gross income, assuming 45 hours per week and 6 weeks vacation. That’s a bit low, even for LA/OC these days.
I think call can make things pretty hard to compare. If you are home call Q5 with a 50% call back rate for average of 2 hours…technically that’s 1 hour worked per call on average….but it better pay better than an hour worked 7-3 M-F.

Overall LA it seems absurdly expensive to live for a new grad (or someone moving to LA) with rates now exceeding 7%. https://cdn.nar.realtor/sites/defau...23-housing-affordability-index-2023-07-14.pdf

Median mortgage payment for median house has roughly doubled nationally since 2020, and LA kept pace or exceeded that depending on the neighborhood.

Last edited:

plus the physical infrastructures of some of the hospitals (even those with a great reputation) - horrendous! its a tough problem when space is so hard to come by

Still, I love NYC. Reminds me of my youthful carefree days.

Still, I love NYC. Reminds me of my youthful carefree days.
Everywhere (almost) is great when you are young. My uncle was a WW2 submariner and always thought of his submarine as home. His face lit up when he talked about it. I could never understand until I became old (almost).

• Haha

Actually seems pretty good. Others think this is too low?

Are we 100% positive about this???? You are telling me that even tho my practice is most definitely not a non profit, if the healthcare system we contract with is a 501c (they are all are) I can be ELIGIBLE for PSLF???

This is honestly a game changer for those of us who were on that COVID pause for years and could actually work out in our favor. I paid nothing, even on my attending salary last year, but am currently 3 years into PSLF because all these monthly counted toward it. Would I ever benefit from PSLF in 10 years on my PP salary? No. Would I benefit in 6.5 years, actually YES!

I'm emailing my loan officer right now. Are we 100% positive about this? If so you are the MAN.

• Care
1. Your group must have a contract with a “qualified employer”, ie a “nonprofit” hospital or clinic. This may give more incentive for young debt ridden doctors to work at “nonprofit” facilities. I’m not sure but I don’t think “for profit” hospitals run by Tenet, Prime, and HCA would qualify. However, even if you are directly employed by a for profit entity, eg a PE backed/owned AMC, I believe you still qualify as long as your for profit group is contracted to provide services at a nonprofit hospital and you spend all your time or at least 30hrs/week at the nonprofit hospital. It also gets murky if you spend most of your time at a surgicenter or other for profit facility.

2. At least in Ca and Tx, an official from the nonprofit hospital must attest that you are filling a role that cannot be filled by a direct employee of the hospital because of laws barring direct employment of physicians.

Last edited:
Are we 100% positive about this???? You are telling me that even tho my practice is most definitely not a non profit, if the healthcare system we contract with is a 501c (they are all are) I can be ELIGIBLE for PSLF???

This is honestly a game changer for those of us who were on that COVID pause for years and could actually work out in our favor. I paid nothing, even on my attending salary last year, but am currently 3 years into PSLF because all these monthly counted toward it. Would I ever benefit from PSLF in 10 years on my PP salary? No. Would I benefit in 6.5 years, actually YES!

I'm emailing my loan officer right now. Are we 100% positive about this? If so you are the MAN.

Yup.

You shouldn’t have to email your loan officer. This is all handled through the normal PSLF channels.

I did this working for the VA. The rules changed during COVID, effectively making any repayment plan eligible (historically, it was only the income-based repayment plans that were eligible). The issue will be who is your actual employer, like who will be writing the employment verification letter. What is THEIR status with regard to being non-profit?

EDIT: Just saw Nimbus' post above and it sounds like it's more complicated than I said and maybe there IS a path if your employment isn't directly with the non-profit.

I would look into specifics on this. My understanding is that Kaiser (a non profit) was legally not allowed to employ the physicians in CA or TX and therefore those docs didn't qualify for PSLF, so this is just addressing the specific loophole of working for a non-profit group at a non-profit hospital in one of those two states that by law excluded you from PSLF. So an AMC or PP wouldn't be included.

This is not factually correct.

A professional corporation cannot be set up as a 501c.

In the state of California (and Texas), there is a legal prohibition against the corporate practice of medicine. Essentially, hospitals cannot hire physicians. They contract with groups to provide services. These groups are mostly structured as a professional corporation. This applies to Kaiser (their physician practice is the Permanete Medical Group), Cedars, and others. All of them have attached medical groups that employ the physicians.

If you work for a private practice or even an AMC that is structured this way because of a legal prohibition, it is covered.

Last edited:
I would look into specifics on this. My understanding is that Kaiser (a non profit) was legally not allowed to employ the physicians in CA or TX and therefore those docs didn't qualify for PSLF, so this is just addressing the specific loophole of working for a non-profit group at a non-profit hospital in one of those two states that by law excluded you from PSLF. So an AMC or PP wouldn't be included.

Not true. Please read the CMA link I posted above. Our practice manager has already identified the administrators at our contracted hospitals who are willing to sign the necessary attestation.

1. Your group must have a contract with a “qualified employer”, ie a “nonprofit” hospital or clinic. This may give more incentive for young debt ridden doctors to work at “nonprofit” facilities. I’m not sure but I don’t think “for profit” hospitals run by Tenet, Prime, and HCA would qualify. However, even if you are directly employed by a for profit entity, eg a PE backed/owned AMC, I believe you still qualify as long as your for profit group is contracted to provide services at a nonprofit hospital and you spend all your time or at least 30hrs/week at the nonprofit hospital. It also gets murky if you spend most of your time at a surgicenter or other for profit facility.

2. At least in Ca and Tx, an official from the nonprofit hospital must attest that you are filling a role that cannot be filled by a direct employee of the hospital because of laws barring direct employment of physicians.

To update this post, one of my partners had the remaining balance of their loan forgiven in November. They were the first in our group. Others are still in process.

Surprisingly the LA academic hospital positions seem be competitive, at least for cardiac. I loosely looked into academic jobs in LA and was shocked to see how low the compensation packages are considering the high COL and taxes. And yet, people still want those positions. I'm coming from a big east coast training program, and it seems like you either need a very well padded CV or have done some amount of training in LA to even get your foot in the door. Most of my emails/faculty introductions were all unanswered.
You dodged a bullet. Stay away from academic jobs.

Current Kaiser listings

Last edited:
Current Kaiser listings

Seems a bit high for Kaiser... I'm assuming they are calculating their benefits package as part of compensation?

I'm seeing lots of jobs advertising 650k-750k in the LA area (san fernando, valencia, or southward towards SD). Seems like adequate income to afford to live in LA and even buy a house, or am I wrong?

Current Kaiser listings

lol some of these make zero sense. How is the minimum salary higher than the maximum salary?

Reactions: 3 users
Seems a bit high for Kaiser... I'm assuming they are calculating their benefits package as part of compensation?

I'm seeing lots of jobs advertising 650k-750k in the LA area (san fernando, valencia, or southward towards SD). Seems like adequate income to afford to live in LA and even buy a house, or am I wrong?

As long as HHI is around 1 M. Nice houses in neighborhoods with good school districts are around 2 M.

As long as HHI is around 1 M. Nice houses in neighborhoods with good school districts are around 2 M.
I guess I'm generally keeping an eye for work outside of but near LA, where the housing is somewhat cheaper. I'm talking Santa Clarita/Valencia/thousand oaks/Oxnard. Though I guess I'm not too familiar with the housing market in those areas or if these places indeed have cheaper housing :rolleyes:

I guess I'm generally keeping an eye for work outside of but near LA, where the housing is somewhat cheaper. I'm talking Santa Clarita/Valencia/thousand oaks/Oxnard. Though I guess I'm not too familiar with the housing market in those areas or if these places indeed have cheaper housing :rolleyes:
Yeah more affordable in those areas. Oxnard 800k-1M, Thousand Oaks 1-1.5 M for something like 3 bed 3 bath.