LECOM Bradenton Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
omg u have a 30 and no interview invite? my mcat score is low thats why i thought they didnt like my application.....

Members don't see this ad.

omg u have a 30 and no interview invite? my mcat score is low thats why i thought they didnt like my application.....

I don't know... I guess we'll find out sooner or later. Wish I could find out sooner haha. I really am bummed. I was so sure I'd get an invite during the first round! I think I need to lower my hopes a bit.

I don't know... I guess we'll find out sooner or later. Wish I could find out sooner haha. I really am bummed. I was so sure I'd get an invite during the first round! I think I need to lower my hopes a bit.

Consider this. DO schools are known for having lower GPA and MCAT averages than MD schools. Your stats are more typical of an MD matriculant rather than DO. Are you applying to MD schools as well?

DO schools might hesitate to take someone with significantly higher grades and scores because they might think you will choose an MD school over their school. That is why you really have to show how committed you are to osteopathic medicine. That's why so many secondaries ask "why DO?" They don't want to be your backup if you don't get into an MD program.

So in a way, it's a good thing. Not saying you won't get an interview invite here later on of course...just something to consider for now. Your stats are great. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider this. DO schools are known for having lower GPA and MCAT averages than MD schools. Your stats are more typical of an MD matriculant rather than DO. Are you applying to MD schools as well?

DO schools might hesitate to take someone with significantly higher grades and scores because they might think you will choose an MD school over their school. That is why you really have to show how committed you are to osteopathic medicine. That's why so many secondaries ask "why DO?" They don't want to be your backup if you don't get into an MD program.

So in a way, it's a good thing. Not saying you won't get an interview invite here later on of course...just something to consider for now. Your stats are great. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Interesting take on things. I actually haven't applied to any MD schools.. nor am I planning to...
Well, I'm still hoping for an interview!

Interesting take on things. I actually haven't applied to any MD schools.. nor am I planning to...

Here's to hoping an invite comes your way. It's very early.

Why haven't you applied to MD schools? I applied to 3 so far.

Here's to hoping an invite comes your way. It's very early.

Why haven't you applied to MD schools? I applied to 3 so far.

Since my chances of getting into a DO school are higher than an MD school, what's the point of applying MD? My goal is to be a physician... doesn't matter what the letters are (to me). Also, I genuinely appreciate and believe in the osteopathic philosophy... yes, sounds cheesy but is true :)

Since my chances of getting into a DO school are higher than an MD school, what's the point of applying MD? My goal is to be a physician... doesn't matter what the letters are (to me). Also, I genuinely appreciate and believe in the osteopathic philosophy... yes, sounds cheesy but is true :)

That makes sense. I prefer osteopathic philosophy as well, which is why I am doing DO.

Applying broadly is very important as well in my experience. That's one reason I would suggest applying to MD schools. I understand your reasoning though. I am applying to as many schools as I can afford to. In the end it is a numbers game. Some schools will look at your application and pass while others really want you. It's hard to predict what will happen. The app process is really a combination of doing everything you can to improve your app and then relying on luck for the rest of the way.

That makes sense. I prefer osteopathic philosophy as well, which is why I am doing DO.

Applying broadly is very important as well in my experience. That's one reason I would suggest applying to MD schools. I understand your reasoning though. I am applying to as many schools as I can afford to. In the end it is a numbers game. Some schools will look at your application and pass while others really want you. It's hard to predict what will happen. The app process is really a combination of doing everything you can to improve your app and then relying on luck for the rest of the way.

Hmm I never thought about it that way. If along the way, I don't end up getting early interview invites, I'll probably apply to more DO schools (right now, I'm only sending in 8). Thanks for the tips!

LECOM-B stats are fairly impressive, and higher than many MD schools now. The ones on the website are outdated (a lot). I have many classmates who only applied to DO schools.

I applied to both, but only because we would have liked to have stayed in our hometown, and the nearest DO school was ~3 hours away (and I didn't even like that one). So the choice was either very competitive MD school that I didn't stand a chance in hell of getting into, or any MD or DO school.

I cared less about the MD/DO distinction than about the curriculum and what would be the best fit for me, and the best location for my family (wife and daughter). LECOM-B was perfect, and very happy we went here.

I would recommend applying to MD schools if you think you're competitive. Not because there is anything wrong with DO school (I've had a great experience), but because it simply increases your odds. Philosophy is more up to the individual than the letters after their name. If you believe in treating the "whole patient", you'll do that regardless of MD/DO. If you really want to learn OMM, it's not that hard, and you can do it as an MD (although most do it after med school.) There's an MD in my town that does only OMM, and is the only guy in town who does it, including 3 DOs.

Go to the cheapest school that is the best fit for you.

I was wondering the same thing. Are there shuttles from the airport or anything like that?

I interviewed at SOMA and AZCOM and in Phoenix there were shuttles from the airport to the hotels/schools.

No shuttles from Tampa to Sarasota that I know of. It's an hour drive + toll.

I would HIGHLY recommend flying into Sarasota (SRQ) if you can find a good deal. It's usually only ~$25-50 more than Tampa (although you usually have to make a connector flight) but it's so much easier and CLOSER.

I use www.kayak.com to find good flight deals.

Most people rent cars (I did) and I would highly recommend it. It gives you the opportunity to really explore the area. I spent the entire day before my interview hanging out in Lakewood Ranch, downtown Bradenton, downtown Sarasota, near school, Siesta Key Beach, all over the place. You really want to get a feel of where you'll be living the next 2-4 years (depending on where you decide to do your rotations).

No shuttles from Tampa to Sarasota that I know of. It's an hour drive + toll.

I would HIGHLY recommend flying into Sarasota (SRQ) if you can find a good deal. It's usually only ~$25-50 more than Tampa (although you usually have to make a connector flight) but it's so much easier and CLOSER.

I use www.kayak.com to find good flight deals.

Most people rent cars (I did) and I would highly recommend it. It gives you the opportunity to really explore the area. I spent the entire day before my interview hanging out in Lakewood Ranch, downtown Bradenton, downtown Sarasota, near school, Siesta Key Beach, all over the place. You really want to get a feel of where you'll be living the next 2-4 years (depending on where you decide to do your rotations).

Thanks for the tips!

Turned in secondary app. How long did it take you peeps that are interviewing get the invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
Turned in secondary app. How long did it take you peeps that are interviewing get the invite?

Turned in secondary app. June 29. Received interview invite yesterday, July 26.

Im guessing if you indicated you are retaking the mcat they wont give an interview until they get the new mcat score. Mine says The Admissions Committee requests your MCAT score. So im guessing thats others hold ups as well.

Hi all, just a quick question to those who have been invited for an interview. My LECOM-B admissions portal status says "Congratulations, you have been scheduled for an interview at LECOM Bradenton. You will receive an email 10 days prior to your scheduled interview to reconfirm your attendance" but says nothing of the date. I am just wondering how you found out the date you are to be interviewed. Thanks.

-In case anyone is interested in my stats, I have a 4.0 science GPA, 3.95 non-science GPA, 3.98 cumulative GPA, and MCAT of 26T.

They sent an e-mail saying when the interview date was. I received the e-mail 24 hours after my portal status changed to "congratulations, invited for interview".

Is there an intermediate status between the "we're reviewing your application" and the interview invite status? Or, alternatively, if you're not offered an interview invite, does it just stay on the reviewing status?

I have a feeling this application season is making me more neurotic than usual :rolleyes:. Who's with me?

Is anyone else in the same boat?

I sent my secondary on 6/28 and my status still says "We received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."
I called them to ask about my status about 2 weeks ago and they said it is now "under review" however, my status hasn't changed (like LECOM-erie - their status changes with every move they make).

Do you think something is wrong (like an incomplete app - even though they said I was complete)? Are they generally slow in updating the status?
Should I keep calling them, I don't want to "bother" them so much especially since they say its "under review".

Last edited:
hey i am getting that same status too. if it doesnt change by tomorrow, i am calling them

Im guessing if you indicated you are retaking the mcat they wont give an interview until they get the new mcat score. Mine says The Admissions Committee requests your MCAT score. So im guessing thats others hold ups as well.

I indicated a retake and was invited... but my first test was 28 so maybe its already high enough..

Is there an intermediate status between the "we're reviewing your application" and the interview invite status? Or, alternatively, if you're not offered an interview invite, does it just stay on the reviewing status?

I have a feeling this application season is making me more neurotic than usual :rolleyes:. Who's with me?

I think your more neurotic than usual hahaha. But that's the life of a med school applicant right?

I too am still on the "we're reviewing your application" status but I only submitted mine yesterday.

No wonder. I have the same message, also. I was freaking out wondering why my MCAT scores weren't submitted. Hopefully it is because they are waiting for my retake.

Same here! I'm really bummed about this.
I'm from CA, SciGPA 3.65, MCAT 30. Where's my invite?!?! ):

Awww crap. I submitted my secondary two days ago. I hope I get an interview invite in a couple weeks.

My stats: 3.14 cGPA, 2.96 sGPA, MCAT 33Q, CA Resident

/crosses fingers

Awww crap. I submitted my secondary two days ago. I hope I get an interview invite in a couple weeks.

My stats: 3.14 cGPA, 2.96 sGPA, MCAT 33Q, CA Resident

/crosses fingers
That is going to hurt you. Ask Dbdan about his cycle last year. He was another applicant with a sub 3.0 sGPA. I'm sure he could be of some use when it comes time to answering questions about that and I can almost asure you that you will be doing that.

I've got an 8/26 interview date. I had an 8/12 but had to switch it because of a prior engagement. I hope that 2 week difference won't hurt me too bad.

Last year I applied to LECOM-B very late and received an interview. Although, I decided to take a year off before starting school so I withdrew my application before my interview. Will this affect how they view my application this year? I have already applied (I think my application was complete and my secondary was sent off by July 8th) but I have not received an interview yet. I'm starting to worry! My stats are 3.79 GPA and 26 MCAT. What should I do and what do you think about my situation?? Thanks!!

I have an interview 8/29, anyone else interviewing?

That is going to hurt you. Ask Dbdan about his cycle last year. He was another applicant with a sub 3.0 sGPA. I'm sure he could be of some use when it comes time to answering questions about that and I can almost asure you that you will be doing that.

Hey,

Yea, funny you mention DbDan. His app is exactly like mine (~3.0 gpa and 33 on MCAT). I sent a PM to DbDan asking him exactly this about a week or two ago. It wouldn't be <3.0 but I took a few courses @ community college during high school and AACOMAS counts it... ridiculous if you ask me. I'm going to be taking more science courses this fall but my app won't be updated until Decemberish when I finish fall semester.

Are you guys staying at hotels near the beach or near the school?

SDN LECOM-B interview beach party!

Are you guys staying at hotels near the beach or near the school?

SDN LECOM-B interview beach party!

I was gonna get a hotel near the school for convenience. Unless the beach is fairly close...

On a side note, how old do you have to be to rent a car? I am 23. If I can't rent a car, I don't know what I will do out there. Taxi maybe?

I was gonna get a hotel near the school for convenience. Unless the beach is fairly close...

On a side note, how old do you have to be to rent a car? I am 23. If I can't rent a car, I don't know what I will do out there. Taxi maybe?

The beach looks reasonably close. Within a 15-20 minute drive (at least Google Maps looks like it). You can rent a car if you're 23, you will have to pay a younger driver surcharge though. It adds something like $10-20 a day, so it's not cheap, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

The beach looks reasonably close. Within a 15-20 minute drive (at least Google Maps looks like it). You can rent a car if you're 23, you will have to pay a younger driver surcharge though. It adds something like $10-20 a day, so it's not cheap, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Yeah, the under 25 additional charge definitely sucks. Check and see if your parents have a triple a motor club membership. Mine do, so I think I get a discount. Also, I would advise to not get the additional insurance that these rental companies offer which is expensive. I talked to my insurance guy and he said that rentals are covered under my plan (check with yours to make sure). The only thing though is if the car is wrecked, you have to compensate for the money they would make from renting the car out, which does suck. AKA, do not wreck it.

The beach is close and I will be making the trip. I fly in on Thurday to the Bradenton/Sarasota airport from Charlotte, NC so I think i get in about 11. Not sure if I will go that afternoon though. I don't depart until Saturday so I will probably be waiting until post interview to beach it up.

Definitely stay near school. Anywhere near Lakewood Ranch, Univ. Blvd, or Rt 64 is fine. Even the Econo Lodge isn't that bad for an Econo Lodge (although if you have the money, pop for something better).

Go to Siesta Key Public Beach. It's about 20-30 minutes from school, but only about 5-10 min further than the other, much crappier beaches. Worth the extra couple of minutes. #1 beach in the USA this year. Don't expect giant waves though, the surf is pretty calm, but it's very relaxing, warm water, and amazing sand.

There was something mentioned about a shuttle service from the airport when I interviewed a couple of years back, but it was ~$70 one-way from Tampa, or $35 one-way from the Sarasota airport. Even with whatever extra fees the rental car places throw at you, it's got to be cheaper than that. Lakewood Ranch (the section of Bradenton where the school is located) is a suburban area without much public transportation, so... yeah, you need a car, especially if you want to hit Siesta Key or any of the other beaches.

This is why we should all try to figure out if any of us are going to be there on the same day. Shared expenses... I was looking at the Country inn/suites, $64.50/nt, right by the school. I'm going to call tomorrow and find out if they have a shuttle to the airport. If they do, I will taxi to the school. If not, I will rent a car. I'll be there 8/27-8/29 (after the interview)...
There are cheaper hotels/motels, but they are further.. Days Inn on hotels.com=38$/nt...

@Koala, 7/9

I booked Country inn & suites by the school through priceline for 54$/nt, I also booked my rental car through priceline for 14$/day. I'm staying 8/27-8/29....

Last edited:
Any new interview invites?? Do they send them out in batches or a few each week?

k i just checked on the status on my portal..and I have a weird one....

"The Admissions Committee requests all letters of recommendation before making a decision on your file"

i thought we send in rec letters once we get an interview invite...now their office is even closed. will call them first in the morning. i wonder if they are unsure of giving me an interview with my iffy mcat score and thats why they need my letters? anyone else get a similar status?

It sucks having to wait for my new mcat score :(

Congrats!
Man I'm still waiting on my invite :(

k i just checked on the status on my portal..and I have a weird one....

"The Admissions Committee requests all letters of recommendation before making a decision on your file"

i thought we send in rec letters once we get an interview invite...now their office is even closed. will call them first in the morning. i wonder if they are unsure of giving me an interview with my iffy mcat score and thats why they need my letters? anyone else get a similar status?

Interesting... Let us know what they say tomorrow! Good luck!

I have an interview set for August 12! I see two others that have that interview date. It seems like this is the earliest interview date for this school! I am getting nervous! :scared:

This is going to be an expensive trip!!

>$400 for the flight from CA to Bradenton
~$80 for car rental
~$40 for one night stay at the Econo Lodge

):

Has anyone had this experience..
I applied through AACOMAS in mid july and it was released on 7/21. Have not received a secondary yet. Just received an email basically asking me to apply (to LECOM in generally not specifically LECOM-B)...but its not a secondary and its to an email address I did not use in my AACOMAS application (but is the one I used to register for my upcoming MCAT)

I applied through AACOMAS in mid july and it was released on 7/21. Have not received a secondary yet. Just received an email basically asking me to apply (to LECOM in generally not specifically LECOM-B)...but its not a secondary and its to an email address I did not use in my AACOMAS application (but is the one I used to register for my upcoming MCAT)

You should call or email LECOM and ask if they have received your primary application and why you haven't received the secondary yet. It never hurts to ask them directly! :)

That's happening to me, as well. I added LECOM-B the second week of July, called them a few days ago, and they told me to call later this week.. they're planning to upload another batch of primaries soon.

I got LECOM-Erie interview invite a week ago, but I still haven't heard back from Bradenton :(

c3.6/s3.5 MCAT28

You should email them, the Erie campus had a 'glitch' with my app and my secondary didn't come until I asked them about it.

Dr. Kwon, That is why I posted what I did for my stuff. I got my rental car for 14$/day and Country Inn and Suites for 54$/nt... on priceline. The flight I can't help with... but I bid on my stuff through price line....