LECOM Bradenton Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called too. I'm in!

Did they seem like they had an issue with you calling? I hope they realize that everyone is just very excited/anxious! I wonder if there have been any applicants turned down with an interview this early in the season?

Members don't see this ad.

Did they seem like they had an issue with you calling? I hope they realize that everyone is just very excited/anxious! I wonder if there have been any applicants turned down with an interview this early in the season?

No, I think she seemed ok with it.

Last year it seemed like everyone from the 1st and 2nd interview was rejected/waitlisted made my wait for the 3rd interview pretty horrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got in! :) They were very friendly on the phone, I wouldn't worry about calling

@everyoneaccepted Do they give acceptances to people without a DO letter?

I'm with you guys.. interviewing on the 29th! I don't have a D.O. letter though, only MD letters. I was wondering if there was a possible way to get a D.O. letter there on campus?

All the DOs near my area are busy, don't respond, or aren't interested in mentoring someone. :(

I'm nervous.

Also, I'm flying in on Saturday when are the rest of you guys coming through?

Reason I ask is because I remember reading something along the lines of "didnt have DO letter, told the dean, dean said hey talk to this guy, talked to him for like 10 min, got all requirements checked off and was accepted (this was all on interview day)" But then again, it could have been in my dream and I could be making this all up in my head.

so flying in this thursday night for the interview friday with a hurricane on the door step... and it could possibly get to CAT 4.... this should be brownie pts for dedication right?

To those interviewing on Monday Aug 29:
I'm flying in from CA on Sunday morning. If any of you are interested in meeting up on Sunday, PM me!

To those interviewing on Monday Aug 29:
I'm flying in from CA on Sunday morning. If any of you are interested in meeting up on Sunday, PM me!

If any of you interviewees want to have some food/beer and a friendly chat on Sunday, let me know. I'll be around all day with nothing to do. I'm a 4th year, and have been around the block, so to speak, and am always willing to answer any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kwon, I'll be there, planning on hitting the beach with another SDNr...

If any of you interviewees want to have some food/beer and a friendly chat on Sunday, let me know. I'll be around all day with nothing to do. I'm a 4th year, and have been around the block, so to speak, and am always willing to answer any questions.

I'm game for it... I'm staying at the Country inn, from Sat on... assuming that I can get there ;)

Although it looks like it will be tracking further east than originally expected!

I'd also be interested in meeting up on Sunday, that'd be great!

Hey guys, once again, if you are free to meet up on Sunday August 28th, private message me your email address. This way, we can just email each other all at once. It's much easier :)

Thanks!

Hey guys, once again, if you are free to meet up on Sunday August 28th, private message me your email address. This way, we can just email each other all at once. It's much easier :)

Thanks!

Agreed, everyone PM Future Dr Kwon your email if you want to meet up on Sunday. I'll do the same and will try to think of a good place...

does anyone know what address we should send in the letters? I tried to look for it and found regular one, but I don't want to send them to wrong address.:(

Did anyone get a phone call for their interview or just an email?

email. I dont know about others, but I was simply given a date, not a choice of dates.

Zoomzoom: Same for me...

To those who called admissions about your acceptance, did your 'status' change or did you just call?

Last edited:
Zoomzoom: Same for me...

To those who called admissions about your acceptance, did your 'status' change or did you just call?

My status changed to "the committee has made a decision" or something to that effect. I had to call to find out what it was.

So I just have to obsessively check the portal, and then call? :) Also, for those people who lurk, there is a group of us meeting on 8/28 in Bradenton for dinner... PM me for details...

does anyone know what address we should send in the letters? I tried to look for it and found regular one, but I don't want to send them to wrong address.:(

I asked them let me get you the address...

The address you may have your letter of recommendation sent to is listed below:
LECOM
5000 Lakewood Ranch Blvd.
Bradenton, FL 34212

Good luck!

So I just have to obsessively check the portal, and then call? :) Also, for those people who lurk, there is a group of us meeting on 8/28 in Bradenton for dinner... PM me for details...

Yes! I just called today and was ACCEPTED!!! Be yourself and you'll do great!!

how soon are you guys going to send in your deposits?

Is it just the deposit that has to be taken care of in 30 days? or everything (physical, vaccinations, paperwork)?

As far as I know, the 30 day requirement is just for the $1,500.00 deposit. I'll let you know more when I get my stuff in the mail, should be any day now.

I asked them let me get you the address...

The address you may have your letter of recommendation sent to is listed below:
LECOM
5000 Lakewood Ranch Blvd.
Bradenton, FL 34212

Good luck!

Thanks!

My status is now:

"Your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made. "

I never got this message before when applying to Erie. Sounds scary to me D:

My status is now:

"Your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made. "

I never got this message before when applying to Erie. Sounds scary to me D:

I got this too! I was wondering what it meant. I have an interview with LECOM so I was wondering if that made a difference? Any input would be appreciated!

how soon are you guys going to send in your deposits?

Is it just the deposit that has to be taken care of in 30 days? or everything (physical, vaccinations, paperwork)?

You have 30 days for the deposit. You will get a matriculation packet later (I think it was in late winter or early spring) detailing all of the requirements for admission- drug screen, background check, immunizations, etc. Don't worry about all of that now, enjoy what little bit of free time you have left.
:luck:

I got this too! I was wondering what it meant. I have an interview with LECOM so I was wondering if that made a difference? Any input would be appreciated!

I got that message right before my application was reviewed by the committee. I got an interview the next week.

What do you guys think about the basically all-PBL curriculum? In the end, how do you think it compares to a more traditional lecture-based curriculum? I guess what I am really wondering is if it tends to equal out with time or if PBL better prepares you via clinical reasoning and clinical applications.

What do you guys think about the basically all-PBL curriculum? In the end, how do you think it compares to a more traditional lecture-based curriculum? I guess what I am really wondering is if it tends to equal out with time or if PBL better prepares you via clinical reasoning and clinical applications.

I think it really depends on your style of learning. It has always been my opinion that you retain knowledge better if you apply it, but this is not true for everyone.

The students we observed were very knowledgeable. Did not seem like year 2's at all, so I think that speaks volumes.

I definitely think your critical thinking skills would improve from doing case studies. On that I think there is no debate.

Lots of advantages: You can schedule your study time as you see fit. Applying the material to a case can help retention and clinical application. You start seeing labs and rads reports, etc from day 1, so by 2nd year you're pretty good at things that 3rd years struggle with from other schools. You get good at working in a team, presenting cases to "attendings", and differential diagnosis...all of which you do as part of your PBL case. It's very good prep for 3rd year and beyond.

Disadvantages: No lecture. No spoon feeding. You have to do all the work yourself. You have to figure out what's important, and what isn't. LOTS more reading. I have friends at lecture based schools who simply memorize some power points and take a test. It's not like that here...you'd fail. Of course, if you study, you'll know stuff better than the powerpoint crowd, IMO. It's not for everyone though...some people don't retain the knowledge as well without lecture, and some retain better without lecture. So, it's up to you to make sure you can learn without lecture...most people adjust fine though, even if it's not ideal for you, you can still do very well here. I have classmates you can read things once, fast, and retain everything and ace the tests (and boards) with very little study time, comparatively. Others study 12 hours a day and do average. The only people that do poorly are the ones who don't study and party all the time...there's always a couple.

The only other possible disadvantage (but could also be seen as an advantage) is that you can get very good grades in PBL even though you have some holes in your knowledge base. For example, each PBL test may only have a few questions on Embryology or Histology. You could, theoretically, do pretty well on your PBL test without knowing much about those two subjects. No one really does this, but people do tend to prioritize what they enjoy and what they're interested in. I, for one, hated embryo, but still made myself study it some (i.e. enough to do ok on USMLE World and Board questions). It was (and remains) one of my weaker subjects. In a non-PBL school, with a separate class for each basic science, it'd be difficult to get by without knowing a fair amount of embryo (for example). I don't think this is a huge problem, because the PBL tests do keep up on our toes, and the students are mostly responsible for themselves and we make ourselves study, even if we don't "need" to. But, still...it's a possible downside.

Lots of advantages: You can schedule your study time as you see fit. Applying the material to a case can help retention and clinical application. You start seeing labs and rads reports, etc from day 1, so by 2nd year you're pretty good at things that 3rd years struggle with from other schools. You get good at working in a team, presenting cases to "attendings", and differential diagnosis...all of which you do as part of your PBL case. It's very good prep for 3rd year and beyond.

Disadvantages: No lecture. No spoon feeding. You have to do all the work yourself. You have to figure out what's important, and what isn't. LOTS more reading. I have friends at lecture based schools who simply memorize some power points and take a test. It's not like that here...you'd fail. Of course, if you study, you'll know stuff better than the powerpoint crowd, IMO. It's not for everyone though...some people don't retain the knowledge as well without lecture, and some retain better without lecture. So, it's up to you to make sure you can learn without lecture...most people adjust fine though, even if it's not ideal for you, you can still do very well here. I have classmates you can read things once, fast, and retain everything and ace the tests (and boards) with very little study time, comparatively. Others study 12 hours a day and do average. The only people that do poorly are the ones who don't study and party all the time...there's always a couple.

The only other possible disadvantage (but could also be seen as an advantage) is that you can get very good grades in PBL even though you have some holes in your knowledge base. For example, each PBL test may only have a few questions on Embryology or Histology. You could, theoretically, do pretty well on your PBL test without knowing much about those two subjects. No one really does this, but people do tend to prioritize what they enjoy and what they're interested in. I, for one, hated embryo, but still made myself study it some (i.e. enough to do ok on USMLE World and Board questions). It was (and remains) one of my weaker subjects. In a non-PBL school, with a separate class for each basic science, it'd be difficult to get by without knowing a fair amount of embryo (for example). I don't think this is a huge problem, because the PBL tests do keep up on our toes, and the students are mostly responsible for themselves and we make ourselves study, even if we don't "need" to. But, still...it's a possible downside.

This all makes a lot of sense. I really do think it can help you retain more material. My only concern is the sheer amount of reading and pacing of it. In undergrad I would read basically 1 textbook chapter per day (40-50 pages) and that was it. It would take 3-4 hours to do and then I would review notes from class. How much reading do you have to do and how quickly do you have to do it?

This all makes a lot of sense. I really do think it can help you retain more material. My only concern is the sheer amount of reading and pacing of it. In undergrad I would read basically 1 textbook chapter per day (40-50 pages) and that was it. It would take 3-4 hours to do and then I would review notes from class. How much reading do you have to do and how quickly do you have to do it?

It starts slower, and picks up. At first, you do anatomy, which is lecture with some reading. Towards the middle-end of anatomy, you start PBL, but since you're also taking anatomy, you read stuff that ties into the anatomy that you're studying and they reinforce each other...

Once anatomy is over, towards the end of 1st semester and into 2nd semester, you might have to look at 3-6 chapters, but you have a day and a half, at least to do this.

Some of the chapters are quite short also. Others are really long and difficult, but it's very doable. It will definitely be faster paced than what you did in undergrad, but that's par for the course in med school. By the 2nd semester you're probably somewhere around 5-10x the pace of the average pre-med undergrad pace. It is like drinking from a firehose, and it's all a blur.

You have 3 PBL tests each semester (at least we did), and first year, you'll probably average around 25-35 chapters per test...ish. Very doable, but unless you have a photographic memory, you'll want to read most of these chapters 2-3 times. I kept a spreadsheet of what chapters I was studying for the test and how many times I had read them, to keep it straight. They're not assigned, your PBL group chooses them based on the case you're working on. So, an MI case might get 3-4 heart physiology chapters, heart anatomy, heart embryo, heart histology, heart pathology, biochem of mitochondria, and HTN drugs...or any combination of the above, maybe not all of them...that's more of a 2nd year amount. By 2nd year, you'll have read most of these chapters for tests before, so if you get a heart case 2nd year, you'll do all the ones you did before, which you probably will barely have to read, plus the ones you haven't done.

I should add that many people don't read much at all, and instead opt for things like the Kaplan lecture videos (with or without supplemental readings from real books or review books). The success you have with this depends on your own learning styles and abilities...some people do ok with it, others bomb because the review courses don't cover quite enough material, but I've found the review stuff to be a good starting point to build on.

It's complicated, I know...but it's a good system, and it works. You're just responsible for your own education. Some people don't handle that responsibility well, but most do very well.

For those (ladies) with interviews coming up...are you planning on wearing a blouse or long-sleeved button up? I think my button-up might look more professional, but I don't want to be sweating like a pig in FL at the same time.

Good luck everyone! Two more days....kinda freaking out!!! :)

For those (ladies) with interviews coming up...are you planning on wearing a blouse or long-sleeved button up? I think my button-up might look more professional, but I don't want to be sweating like a pig in FL at the same time.

I'm wearing a skirt suit, so I'll just have a jacket on and round neck underneath. It will definitely be toasty! But I figure when we interview it will be nice and air conditioned. I'm sure as long as you dress professionally and with conservatism it will be fine. :)

I'm wearing a suit jacket and pants.... I'm used to the FL weather though... I'll just be wearing a sleeveless blouse underneath

Wear a suit jacket, it looks a lot more professional. At all my interviews the girls that didn't stuck out like a sore thumb.

thanks for the suggestions. I decided on a nice-looking, short-sleeved blouse and a suit jacket w/ pants. :cool:

I am wearing a full suit, not a blouse/shirt with pants. I have a jacket w/tank top and skirt... It's a lighter weight black material... We're going to be inside most of the time, so I am not worried too much about temperature....

I have a pant suit with a long sleeve button up. I'm worried I'm going to be sweaty! haha, oh well. At least I'll look professional...

I have a question about parking on campus. I don't see any information about that in the interview email. For those of you who interviewed already: did you have to pay for parking/ was there plenty of parking/ did you have to look around for parking?? I'm trying to get an idea of what time I should actually arrive on campus.

Thanks!

I am wearing a full suit, not a blouse/shirt with pants. I have a jacket w/tank top and skirt... It's a lighter weight black material... We're going to be inside most of the time, so I am not worried too much about temperature....

Most of the day was fine, but the hour in the PBL room got really warm so take that into consideration. It is a great school, with awesome faculty so enjoy the interview