LECOM - Erie Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After living in Erie this past winter I would say that if you can afford a 4 wheel drive u should definitely get it. Apparently, we got about 30% more snow this past winter than usual, but nontheless from what I got from people who have lived there all thier lives the winters are pretty snowy every year anyways...lake effect snow. People have little cars and get through the winter, but I'll tell you that it was so annoying digging my little car out some mornings...it just takes a little more time to get out. Bottomline, if u can a afford it get a 4 wheel drive...if not you'll survive...but be ready...

Members don't see this ad.

After living in Erie this past winter I would say that if you can afford a 4 wheel drive u should definitely get it. Apparently, we got about 30% more snow this past winter than usual, but nontheless from what I got from people who have lived there all thier lives the winters are pretty snowy every year anyways...lake effect snow. People have little cars and get through the winter, but I'll tell you that it was so annoying digging my little car out some mornings...it just takes a little more time to get out. Bottomline, if u can a afford it get a 4 wheel drive...if not you'll survive...but be ready...

Good point.....don't forget the garage....if you have to pay extra get a garage...nothing worse than digging your car out when we got a foot (no exaggeration here) of snow overnight and its monday morning exam day...........check that. digging out any day. period. They do plow the roads well though.....I heard a rumor you can always see the pavement in LECOMs parking lot......

Members don't see this ad :)
Seton Hill is open...thier inaugaural class will be starting in the fall. I attended Lecom's post-bacc and a couple of our classmates got accepted there. So yeah...they're up and running for business. Only PBL though.

Good point.....don't forget the garage....if you have to pay extra get a garage...nothing worse than digging your car out when we got a foot (no exaggeration here) of snow overnight and its monday morning exam day...........check that. digging out any day. period. They do plow the roads well though.....I heard a rumor you can always see the pavement in LECOMs parking lot......

okay but then... with a garage.. don't you have to shovel the driveway? so you end up digging yourself out of snow one way or the other, no?

I just gave up my seat, so I hope one of you that are still waiting gets it! Just to give you an idea of my timeline... I got the email to start filling out papers 6/8 and got in on 6/18. Obviously this gap differs on how much movement they have but hope it gives you a rough idea. Good luck!

does anybody know of places with garages or at least covered parking? i'm looking around and it appears to be slim pickings at this point.

If you go through LECOMs post bac program are you guaranteed a seat for the med school ? Do you have to re-take your MCAT? and how long is it?
Thanks so much for the information.

If you go through LECOMs post bac program are you guaranteed a seat for the med school ? Do you have to re-take your MCAT? and how long is it?
Thanks so much for the information.

You are guaranteed an interview if you maintain a 3.0 GPA and score at least a 22 on the MCAT. No guaranteed acceptance after interview. It's a one-year program.

okay but then... with a garage.. don't you have to shovel the driveway? so you end up digging yourself out of snow one way or the other, no?

I like your thinking...very thorough...........No you do not have to dig yourself out. The different apartment complexes have or should have a snow plow service that comes in the middle of the night (though mine was always late) and plows. Kind of sucks cause if you are a light sleeper, then it might wake you up, at least will beable to pul out.

Even if we get pounded and they don't show up and you have to put it in reverse and "gun it" to get out, you will most likely be clear by the time you get back.

Remember, driving in snow is an acquired skill here. The first couple snows, everyone is driving real slow and all sared. By December or January, we could get 8 inches and you are still expected to be to school / work on time.

It really is not that bad if you have a garage, IMHO

Agreed, four wheel drive is NOT a necessity. Many people purchase all purpose tires normally around Thanksgiving time so the have the most grip through the heavy snow months (avoid paying for snow tires). Also, take a lesson from the old creepy guy in the first Home Alone and keep a shovel and a bag/garbage can of salt in your trunk (in case of emergency).

On another note, I posted this in Class of 2013 thread, but a current students might be able to answer better.

Given that our refund checks from financial aid will not be available until two weeks after the start of classes, how do they expect us to be able to purchase text books? Is the cost of books taken out at the same time as tuition?

I like your thinking...very thorough...........No you do not have to dig yourself out. The different apartment complexes have or should have a snow plow service that comes in the middle of the night (though mine was always late) and plows. Kind of sucks cause if you are a light sleeper, then it might wake you up, at least will beable to pul out.

Even if we get pounded and they don't show up and you have to put it in reverse and "gun it" to get out, you will most likely be clear by the time you get back.

Remember, driving in snow is an acquired skill here. The first couple snows, everyone is driving real slow and all sared. By December or January, we could get 8 inches and you are still expected to be to school / work on time.

It really is not that bad if you have a garage, IMHO

I love this answer!!! I have a 2006 red mustang rear-wheel drive. I can "gun it" but what are my chances of avoiding the ditch, the neighbors or anything else in my way. Do I own a sled with an engine? By the way, despite my traction control, I can get sideways in spit!!!!

Do you suggest I trade in my dream car for a more realistic means of transportation or do you think there is a lake Erie version of "pimp my ride" that can make my sports car winter ready?

Members don't see this ad :)
I love this answer!!! I have a 2006 red mustang rear-wheel drive. I can "gun it" but what are my chances of avoiding the ditch, the neighbors or anything else in my way. Do I own a sled with an engine? By the way, despite my traction control, I can get sideways in spit!!!!

Do you suggest I trade in my dream car for a more realistic means of transportation or do you think there is a lake Erie version of "pimp my ride" that can make my sports car winter ready?

OK, now that you asked I actually have some experience here.....had a 72 Chevvel in high school (no I am not that old, it was a classic then too). Some sand bags in the trunk will weight it down. If you want, you can get studded snow tires. I actually had a second set of rims and put the snows on them, that way it was easy to switch them myself.

I just went through this whole thought process again....just picked up a mint 1991 Firebird Formula for my son who turns 16 in a couple weeks. I was scared of the real wheel drive thing too, but I got through it.

Anyways, traction control, with weight and good tires will get you through....the only thing is sometimes you have to plan a little when coming up to an intersection with a hill....you always want to have that momentum on your side! Keep the mustang

Put the Mustang away for the winter!! The potholes and salt will ruin it within a year.

for people who are there and/or familiar with the erie area, how important is it to have a four-wheel drive car? is front wheel drive sufficient or risking it in the notorious snow?

I have lived in erie my entire life. I have yet to have a 4WD vehicle and have never had a problem. If you have a front wheel drive car with good all-season radials on it you should be fine. However, snow tires are a great investment. Snow tires will get you anywhere that you need to be. Good Luck!

I am about to buy a computer and have been debating between a really good Toshiba laptop or an ok HP tablet pc. Any suggestions?!

SV####- I can't comment on the HP, but I just got a Toshiba Satellite in preparation for LECOM. So far so good, but I'm not a fan of Vista as I am so used to XP. Other than that, it seems to be a very solid laptop.

I just got a Lenovo Thinkpad T500. So far, seems to be the most solid laptop I've ever used.

Anybody else get taken off the waitlist? The count down is really starting now....

Also, anyone know if there are any seats open in the masters of bioscience 1 year program? I got into Kansas City's, but I did not realize Erie had the same thing....

Are you allowed to apply if you're on the waitlist?

So the book list is out and I'm looking for deals. I have 2 q's. I get 2 results for Gray's Anatomy, one with online access and one with online case studies, anyone know which one we need? (PBL this is). Also anyone know which of the recommended books are good to have and which ones are fine without?

less than 30 days until classes start.:( and still now word yet.

i thought the general consensus was to wait until we get there to see what we really need... no? i ordered histolgy and embryology because it seems like those we'll be needing within the first week. are people just going ahead and buying everything now?

OK, now that you asked I actually have some experience here.....had a 72 Chevvel in high school (no I am not that old, it was a classic then too).

Now that is a nice car!!!! That is another one of my dream cars. I hope you still have it. If you don't you should kick yourself very very hard. My brother had a 72 Nova with white pearl paint. He sold it and I was very angry. Maybe I will kick myself if I let the mustang go over cold weather but I will cry like a little girl if I see it upside down in the ditch. I hope your 91 firebird is a better car than the black and chrome 1999 firebird I had. The car fell apart because it was poorly made. It could break some necks though.

Thanks for the advice

Now that is a nice car!!!! That is another one of my dream cars. I hope you still have it. If you don't you should kick yourself very very hard. My brother had a 72 Nova with white pearl paint. He sold it and I was very angry. Maybe I will kick myself if I let the mustang go over cold weather but I will cry like a little girl if I see it upside down in the ditch. I hope your 91 firebird is a better car than the black and chrome 1999 firebird I had. The car fell apart because it was poorly made. It could break some necks though.

Thanks for the advice

I have to start reading my posts for errors before submitting..........anyways, I sold the Chevelle before going off to college. It was mint with like 40,000 miles when I sold it! So, yes I regret it. As long as you put a couple really good coats of wax on the mustang and make sure you touch up any scratches, as well as keep the salt off you should be fine.

Does anyone know which prof is in charge of the new masters program in Biomedical Sciences at LECOM-Erie?

Does anyone know which prof is in charge of the new masters program in Biomedical Sciences at LECOM-Erie?

You might want to pose this question on the post-bacc thread, you'll get more answers and more information about the program itself!

time to push through the AACOMAS for next year...I bit the bullet and did it last week
I've done it already as well. I was just hoping ya know?:(
I haven't sent them off yet. I am re-taking the MCAT and want to wait for my score. It was nice that everything including the personal statement transfered right over, what a relief!

I'll be dropping my seat soon, so hopefully one of you gets it! Good luck!

So I'm excited to be going to LECOM! But I was thinking more about it, and I have a question...

Will we be considered REAL doctors when we graduate? I mean we will all be D.O.'s... not M.D.'s...

Also, is it true that D.O.'s receive less compensation from insurance companies than M.D.'s?

I would appreciate any help! I mean we are all smart people...

So I'm excited to be going to LECOM! But I was thinking more about it, and I have a question...

Will we be considered REAL doctors when we graduate? I mean we will all be D.O.'s... not M.D.'s...

Also, is it true that D.O.'s receive less compensation from insurance companies than M.D.'s?

...Are you serious? This guy gets into a med school? WOW!!!

Umm... I just erased my tirade. I wish you luck.

In the event that I do get in or get into the post bac program...does anyone know good places to rent in Fairview? I can only find Honey Tree Hollow townhomes online. They're ok, but the guy wants $4,000.000 to walk in the door!!!

These are valid concerns. No we will not be real doctors. Most DOs can't even order their equipment from the regular medical supply companies, they often have to resort to alternatives:

51MDCVAJT6L._AA400_.jpg

And yes, DOs also don't get compensated as well as MDs. Something about how they manipulate the prices or whatever.

Looks like a crappy way to do it. You should probably forget about it.

These are valid concerns. No we will not be real doctors. Most DOs can't even order their equipment from the regular medical supply companies, they often have to resort to alternatives:

51MDCVAJT6L._AA400_.jpg

And yes, DOs also don't get compensated as well as MDs. Something about how they manipulate the prices or whatever.

Looks like a crappy way to do it. You should probably forget about it.

You just gave me the laugh I needed for today.
I agree, give up your seat, turn back now while you still can.

hahaha! perfect answer for an "amazing" question.

Where can I find the book list? I cannot find it on the portal. Thanks!

Where can I find the book list? I cannot find it on the portal. Thanks!

These are on the bookstore website. The Anatomy list is the one they sent out with the registration day information. The other one, like I said, was on the website along with the anatomy list. These are for LDP so I hope you are LDP. If not, I'm sorry I don't how to help you.

Attachments

• Anatomy Book List.zip
    130.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Core Book List.zip
    130.2 KB · Views: 189
Go to my.lecom.edu and select the the Erie campus. Then go to the bookstore and you can find the book list there.

...Are you serious? This guy gets into a med school? WOW!!!

Whoa!!! I'm speechless...

Hey thanx for the response guys! I'm just really worried cuz i want to go into sports med, but think that it might be really hard to do if i'm not a "real" doctor. I mean i know a PA can do it, so hey, why can't DO's too, am I right?? SUCH A RELIEF!!

After talking to a cardiologist that i know who went to PCOM (my #1 choice!).... i got the feeling that us "lake DO's" from LECOM are closer to a chiropractor than an MD. But I told him i dont care as long as i can get into sports med and make a lil cash workin for the STEELERS (My fav. team).

Speaking of which has anyone from LECOM ever successfully made it through the draft and got into sports med? This is really killing me.... im getting so nervous!

Hey thanx for the response guys! I'm just really worried cuz i want to go into sports med, but think that it might be really hard to do if i'm not a "real" doctor. I mean i know a PA can do it, so hey, why can't DO's too, am I right?? SUCH A RELIEF!!

After talking to a cardiologist that i know who went to PCOM (my #1 choice!).... i got the feeling that us "lake DO's" from LECOM are closer to a chiropractor than an MD. But I told him i dont care as long as i can get into sports med and make a lil cash workin for the STEELERS (My fav. team).

Speaking of which has anyone from LECOM ever successfully made it through the draft and got into sports med? This is really killing me.... im getting so nervous!

:troll:

Please stop talking.

LOL......all Trolls Fear Chuck Norris. I heard Chuck Norris is actually able to land consecutive roundhouses to the face while typing a reply on a blackberry.........really.

Maz, you really are funny. Just hope you are still anonymous as many current students and faculty read this stuff. In addition to the roundhouses, I would watch out for the MSI hazing swirlees during orientation............I'm just saying.

Doc Maz, Hey if you have any doubts, you can drop your spot and I or another waitlister will kindly take it ;)

Doc Maz, Hey if you have any doubts, you can drop your spot and I or another waitlister will kindly take it ;)

i agree... there are plenty of us who are very keen on the DO route waiting to take ur spot