LECOM - Erie Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how is the LECOM Erie medical school.
I have heard a lot about the school's rules and regulations, which does not really bother me. I would like to know more about the topics like the overall performance of the students, residency match list, students' future.

Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just go to Lecom.edu and search residency match for the match list

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a DO or an MD are just two letters after your name....many DO's take USMLEs just as MDs and plenty DOs go on to do MD residencies, in the whole grand scheme of your career if you work hard and do well a DO can take you just as far an MD....
Most people are proud to be going the DO route and not "settling" for it because they did not get into an MD school, after all you get all the education of an MD plus the extra knowledge of osteopathic technique.

I am moving to the Erie area in ten days to become part of the Class of 2013. Horrah! I can't wait.

If anyone is moving to Toledo, Ohio, my family is going to rent a very nice three bed room home of an elderly relative who has to go to a nursing home. PM me for more info. We aren't trying to make profit. We are going to rent for expenses. If you have a clinical or residency there, we'd be happy to make it home for you.

You might want to consider also posting the second part of this comment in either the general pre-osteopathic forum or on the Toledo Medical School Forum...you might get more replies.

Hey! I just got accepted! WOOHOO! :love:

Now the real work begins...where do most of the students live? Anybody looking for a roomie? I'm a 21 yr old male with low milage, pretty laid back, sort of a geek, and an American Made piece of excellence. Some scratches and dents but other than that, I'm in great condition. I may or may not bring my 2 ferrets with me depending on how things work out. I cook, I clean, I love the outdoors, and I'll definitely be using the new fitness center a lot. Let me know!

Now the real work begins...where do most of the students live? Anybody looking for a roomie? I'm a 21 yr old male with low milage, pretty laid back, sort of a geek, and an American Made piece of excellence. Some scratches and dents but other than that, I'm in great condition. I may or may not bring my 2 ferrets with me depending on how things work out. I cook, I clean, I love the outdoors, and I'll definitely be using the new fitness center a lot. Let me know!

Congrats!!! I'm still holding on to hope, and I've also applied for the post bac program.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you get the email notification from LECOM and did you just get the phone call today?

Congrats!!! I'm still holding on to hope, and I've also applied for the post bac program.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you get the email notification from LECOM and did you just get the phone call today?
Actually, I checked my status on the portal and it said that they made a decision so I called them up and Regina told me that I was accepted. I called Dr. Moore today to make sure and as far as I know, I'm in! :thumbup:

You may wanna try the LECOM Erie Class of 2013 facebook page. Also join the get together bbq page. I posted links on this thread a couple pages earlier. Congrats on the acceptance!!

Hey,

I got a call today from Rejina asking if my file was complete and if I am still interested in the Seton Hill program at LECOM?

Do you know how long after you get an acceptance? Has that happened to anyone else?

You may wanna try the LECOM Erie Class of 2013 facebook page. Also join the get together bbq page. I posted links on this thread a couple pages earlier. Congrats on the acceptance!!
Thnx!

Just got into Seton Hill today. BOO'YAH!

Members don't see this ad :)
:confused:

As I am studying and hoping to get this new mcat score up so I can be considered for this 2014 class, I am trying not to give up hope for this 2013 class.
I sure hope that my prayers are answered and that a bunch of people decide not to go to the seton hill campus! :idea:
Many congratulations to all that have been recently accepted. I know it felt glorious!!!!! I am sooo excited for you all, but yet so very jealous at the same time.:confused:

One question for those that have been very recently accepted. What was your very first point of contact? Was it the phone call, or was it an email to complete the admissions package? Just wondering.

Thanks all.

these are valid concerns. No we will not be real doctors. Most dos can't even order their equipment from the regular medical supply companies, they often have to resort to alternatives:

51mdcvajt6l._aa400_.jpg

and yes, dos also don't get compensated as well as mds. Something about how they manipulate the prices or whatever.

Looks like a crappy way to do it. You should probably forget about it.
i just love this!!!!!!!! Lol lol lol:laugh::smuggrin:

As I am studying and hoping to get this new mcat score up so I can be considered for this 2014 class, I am trying not to give up hope for this 2013 class.
I sure hope that my prayers are answered and that a bunch of people decide not to go to the seton hill campus! :idea:
Many congratulations to all that have been recently accepted. I know it felt glorious!!!!! I am sooo excited for you all, but yet so very jealous at the same time.:confused:

One question for those that have been very recently accepted. What was your very first point of contact? Was it the phone call, or was it an email to complete the admissions package? Just wondering.

Thanks all.

I hear you. This sucks. I've applied to the LECOM erie post bac program, so hipefully I'll at least be attending the school this fall and at least get into med school the next go round.

Thanks all.
Phone call. I work nights so my wife told them I wasn't there. They asked how they could get a hold of me because it was very important... she had to think for a second about waking me up but finally decided to. DUH! I went from asleep to living the dreams of my last 5+ years. It really almost gave me a heart attack.
Good luck to all.

I got a phone call. I called them today to ask what had happened and they told me I was accepted to Seton Hill !!!!

Good luck to everyone!!! I suggest you call Moore/ Rejina and ask them what is your chance. I called Moore on Tuesday and got accepted on Thursday!

So I heard that PBL students won't be having to go to anatomy lab, not sure that's a good thing. Allot of learning is done in the lab and without going you don't appreciate the differences between the various bodies. I really hope this changes for you PBL students in Erie but I don't think it will since Seaton Hill doesn't have anatomy for their PBL students you don't get to have one either.

I got a phone call. I called them today to ask what had happened and they told me I was accepted to Seton Hill !!!!

Good luck to everyone!!! I suggest you call Moore/ Rejina and ask them what is your chance. I called Moore on Tuesday and got accepted on Thursday!

When you called Moore, did he tell you your chances were good?

Most people are proud to be going the DO route and not "settling" for it because they did not get into an MD school, after all you get all the education of an MD plus the extra knowledge of osteopathic technique.

Three of my class mates last year were accepted to both MD and DO schools and all three picked DO OVER MD!!!! One even said that DO schools are the future of medicine in the extra diagnostic techniques taght and keeping up with the needs of health care in terms of producing well rounded physicians.

At the end of the day, is it really about two letters or sufficient training at a competent medical school which will ultimately provide at true benefit to society?

Good luck to anyone who is blinded by those two letters and can not make rational decision about something as simple as this. ;)

Yea, he said there are good chances. So I just waited and Rejina called me the next day.

Three of my class mates last year were accepted to both MD and DO schools and all three picked DO OVER MD!!!! One even said that DO schools are the future of medicine in the extra diagnostic techniques taght and keeping up with the needs of health care in terms of producing well rounded physicians.

At the end of the day, is it really about two letters or sufficient training at a competent medical school which will ultimately provide at true benefit to society?

Good luck to anyone who is blinded by those two letters and can not make rational decision about something as simple as this. ;)

I chose DO over MD. I had both as options and chose DO. I am sure a lot of other people did too.

Hey guys! I know I posted this on facebook earlier but I'll give it another try here. Jeet Lund and I could really use two more roommates (male or female)! We’re both in LDP and we plan on living in a 4 br, 2 ba house with a 2 car garage. The house includes a washer and drier, landscaping services, a fully stocked kitchen with a stove, fridge, microwave, etc. and it’s less than half a mile from LECOM. The rent is $1200 per month (so $300 per person). Utilities are not included. The house is located at 4516 Allegheny Rd, Erie, PA 16509. We already have 2 ferrets in the house so pets are considered on a case by case basis. Let me know if you’re interested. Pics and floor plans can be seen here:
http://alleghenyerie.blogspot.com/

So I'm hoping someone can help my in my confused state...I called and talked to Tom Ross today to see if he could give me an answer on my acceptance into the post bac program and he said everything looked good, but he and Amy Rowe were going to have to fight to see who gets to call me tomorrow morning? I didn't think Amy had anything to do with the post bac program? Does anyone know? Now I'm getting my hopes up thinking I might get off the waitlist??? But my portal has not changed at all....anyone have any advice? They wouldn't tell me anything else.

So I'm hoping someone can help my in my confused state...I called and talked to Tom Ross today to see if he could give me an answer on my acceptance into the post bac program and he said everything looked good, but he and Amy Rowe were going to have to fight to see who gets to call me tomorrow morning? I didn't think Amy had anything to do with the post bac program? Does anyone know? Now I'm getting my hopes up thinking I might get off the waitlist??? But my portal has not changed at all....anyone have any advice? They wouldn't tell me anything else.

WOW?! I have nothing to say but I feel your pain. I am also waitlisted however I would almost rather hear nothing then a mixed signal like that. GOOD LUCK my friend. I don't have any idea how you could possibly sleep after hearing something like that!

Do us all a favor and give us the good news in the morning about getting accepted to medical school!!!!

I don't drink but If i did I would drink to that!

Sounds like good news. Think what you want to happen and it will!!! I will say a prayer for you. I will be jealous, but I will also be soooo very excited for you at the same time. Post as soon as you know!!!!!!!!:xf:

Ok...so the phone call was for the acceptance into the post bac program. Still good news, at least I'll be attending the school. But not the news I really wanted.

Ok...so the phone call was for the acceptance into the post bac program. Still good news, at least I'll be attending the school. But not the news I really wanted.

Just look at it as a preview of next year. Even though it sucks not to get in to med school you are going to be leaps and bounds above all the other first years when you do get in (albeit slightly more in debt).

ok. Now I'm confused again! I checked my portal for the school of medicine just for the hell of it, and now it says a decision has been made. So I called and talked to Regina this morning and she seemed to know what I was talking about, then told me she would have to call me right back????!!!?? What's going on!

I got in!!! I got the phone call today. I'm in! I'll be seeing all of you in about a week!

Good luck to all the fellow waitlisters. I'm rooting for you!:smuggrin::laugh::D

I got in!!! I got the phone call today. I'm in! I'll be seeing all of you in about a week!

Good luck to all the fellow waitlisters. I'm rooting for you!:smuggrin::laugh::D

What a difference a day or two makes.........congratulations. See you in a week.

Congrats BMills09! Persistence pays off :) Do you mind me asking which campus/pathway you got accepted in???

Congrats! Better get packing. Are you coming to Greensburg?

Congrats BMills09! Persistence pays off :) Do you mind me asking which campus/pathway you got accepted in???

Thanks! I'm assuming LDP, it was my first choice. I'm going to the Erie campus. My wife and I just put an offer on a house yesterday (we went and looked at homes last weekend b/c I thought I'd be at least attending the post bac program).

We're packing all right, we're coming from St. Louis.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm jumping up and down in my room for you right now!!!!

Finally a happy ending!!!

Good luck!!!!!!

Does anyone have any room, or know of someone who might for me to stay about 30 days until I close on my house Aug 21st? It would just be me and my suitcase. I'm clean, quiet and I'll contribute money towards what ever is needed.

So after talking to a few of you about the bbq, I think it's best if we do one keg and if we run out then we can go on a beer run. I'm afraid there won't be enough people drinking beer from the keg and have a bunch left over. It would be easier to have left over beer in bottles or cans than in a keg. Also I think it's best if everyone brings their own food to the bbq. We can have ppl bring chips or pop but it may be too difficult to coordinate having a list of food to sign up for when everyone is in the moving process. Glenwood Park is next to the zoo. Go on peach st and take a right on w. 38th. Go straight past the YMCA and hockey rink on the right. At Glenwood Ave, take a right. The park is about a block on the right. There are a bunch of pavillions available and just look for one with a bunch of ppl and a keg.

I know I posted this in the Osteopathic forum but I didn't know if everyone used that page. PM me if you have any questions

DocMaz?!?! Are you kidding me? Couldn't you have picked a different screen name? I don't need everyone here thinking I'm the idiot who thinks DOs are not doctors and asking all these ridiculous questions. Are you going to be in the class of 2013?

Hey thanx for the response guys! I'm just really worried cuz i want to go into sports med, but think that it might be really hard to do if i'm not a "real" doctor. I mean i know a PA can do it, so hey, why can't DO's too, am I right?? SUCH A RELIEF!!

After talking to a cardiologist that i know who went to PCOM (my #1 choice!).... i got the feeling that us "lake DO's" from LECOM are closer to a chiropractor than an MD. But I told him i dont care as long as i can get into sports med and make a lil cash workin for the STEELERS (My fav. team).

Speaking of which has anyone from LECOM ever successfully made it through the draft and got into sports med? This is really killing me.... im getting so nervous!

Congratulations!!!!! I prayed for you and it worked :D

DocMaz?!?! Are you kidding me? Couldn't you have picked a different screen name? I don't need everyone here thinking I'm the idiot who thinks DOs are not doctors and asking all these ridiculous questions. Are you going to be in the class of 2013?

LOL.....I didnt ven catch that. I thougth your PMs were normal and then I thought you went off the deep end or something..............talk about a frame job!

LOL.....I didnt ven catch that. I thougth your PMs were normal and then I thought you went off the deep end or something..............talk about a frame job!

They even have the same avatar to make it freakier. And I highly doubt there's another person in our class with the same name as me. I've been framed on SDN!

Well..... Good Luck to the class of 2013. I hope to join you next year, since I did not get the call from Admissions. Since class begins Monday, I will not hold out hope any longer boo hoo!!!!! For all of the Seton Hill folks, Please let me know how it goes. It was my first choice. I will now polish up my act and try again.

medschl hpeful, keep your head up, good luck for the next cycle and I know you'll do awesome the next go around. I'll see everyone on Monday!

medschl hpeful, keep your head up, good luck for the next cycle and I know you'll do awesome the next go around. I'll see everyone on Monday!
Thanks so much. Have a great Year One. Study Hard, and find time to play a little. :)

Hey everyone!
I just interviewed in Erie yesterday (8/18). I was impressed with everything there, and the interview format is different...however, it may be different come September.
If anyone has any questions about the school, curriculum, location, etc. feel free to ask me!:)

Could please tell me more about the new format of the interview? how does it work? what kind of questions do they ask? and whether or not we are given any writing assessment? I am having an interview in 3 days and I am really nervous.
Thanks in advance, hope to hear from you soon

Hey everyone!
I just interviewed in Erie yesterday (8/18). I was impressed with everything there, and the interview format is different...however, it may be different come September.
If anyone has any questions about the school, curriculum, location, etc. feel free to ask me!:)

Could you please let me know more about the new format of the interview? how does it work? what kind of questions do they ask? are we given any type of writing assessments?
I am having an interview in 3 days and I am really nervous,
I would really appreciate your help, thanks in advance!