LECOM Erie Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I submitted my secondary to LECOM this past Thursday (3/1), received notification of being processed yesterday afternoon (3/6), and this morning (3/7) received an invitation to interview on April 12th at the Erie campus.

Wowwww! That is some fasst turn around! I think you just made a lot of us sighhh who have been waiting for months lol. But hey you must have some outstandingg stats! Congratulations and best of luck with your interview. Do you mind sharing those killer stats?

Members don't see this ad.

from what they said on the interview day is that they have only one wait list and that they do not rank the wait list.

I was put on the wait list . Do you think I should write a letter of intent of why I want to join the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing at LECOM Friday 3/23
Does anyone know if/when they send out an itinerary for the interview?
Also wondering if anyone can suggest a hotel in the area.
I'm a little nervous about the group interview format. Anyone who has already gone through it that can offer any suggestions please do!
Thanks!

Interviewing at LECOM Friday 3/23
Does anyone know if/when they send out an itinerary for the interview?
Also wondering if anyone can suggest a hotel in the area.
I'm a little nervous about the group interview format. Anyone who has already gone through it that can offer any suggestions please do!
Thanks!

They email you the time to be there (day starts at 8 am so like 15-20 before that).

Outside of that they day starts with a presentation then you break off into groups for your interview, come back for a financial aid presentation, then a tour and finally lunch.

The interview format, as I said before, is really easy. You dont have the spotlight on you for more than 3-5 min at a time. It is really an in-formal setting so even though i was super nervous at the beginning of the day (my first ever med school interview), I felt really comfortable a few min into the interview.

Plus you get to see what some of your competition is like. I was able to see that a lot of students in my group talked about tutoring so when it came to my question, what are you the most proud of, instead of saying something about tutoring, which was what I prepared to say, i changed it up. While I probably might not mean a whole lot, I felt better walking out because subconsciously I felt that I was able to stand out more so.

They email you the time to be there (day starts at 8 am so like 15-20 before that).

Outside of that they day starts with a presentation then you break off into groups for your interview, come back for a financial aid presentation, then a tour and finally lunch.

The interview format, as I said before, is really easy. You dont have the spotlight on you for more than 3-5 min at a time. It is really an in-formal setting so even though i was super nervous at the beginning of the day (my first ever med school interview), I felt really comfortable a few min into the interview.

Plus you get to see what some of your competition is like. I was able to see that a lot of students in my group talked about tutoring so when it came to my question, what are you the most proud of, instead of saying something about tutoring, which was what I prepared to say, i changed it up. While I probably might not mean a whole lot, I felt better walking out because subconsciously I felt that I was able to stand out more so.

I just wanna tell you I really hope you get in. You have been more than helpful on this whole thread. Im pullin' for ya :)

Thanks for the info.... it seems like other people received more information regarding their interview after the initial scheduling. I have not. Anyone else interviewing March 23rd and not heard anything? Also if the class is already full that doesn't bode well for those of us still left to interview!

Hey Guys,
I got an interview date for April 27th, isn't this late in the cycle. My Mcat is 29Q (P-10,V-9,BS-10) Jan mcat score, cumulative GPA-3.7 and Grad (biochem) up until i applied is 3.2. My issue was I had a D in O-Chem I, but I wrote an email explaining that I took a graduate level class called BioOrganic and they sent me an email saying that I was selected. I don't want to get my hopes too high, since this is really late. However, I was wondering what is the last date for Interviews? I know they accept secondaries until April 1st. I really want to get in this year, but I guess if I don't, then I will retake the O-Chem and apply early. thanks!

I am currently wait-listed. Everyone says to keep the school updated with any recent experiences and grades. However, what if you are not taking part in any new experiences but just doing the same ones with no new development?

the second thing is that they have a GPA of 3.9 on file and this last semester of undergrad the GPA will drop to a 3.8. what can you do then?

Thanks for the info.... it seems like other people received more information regarding their interview after the initial scheduling. I have not. Anyone else interviewing March 23rd and not heard anything? Also if the class is already full that doesn't bode well for those of us still left to interview!

Haven't heard anything either.

I just got the letter. I am currently on the alternate list too. I interviewed on March 9. Is alternate list the same thing as waiting list?

The alternate list is the same as the wailist. Does anone know when accepted applicants need to have that $1,000 something deposit in? I'm trying to get an idea of when the waitlist may move.

The alternate list is the same as the wailist. Does anone know when accepted applicants need to have that $1,000 something deposit in? I'm trying to get an idea of when the waitlist may move.
The deposit is $1500, and they give you about 30 days from the date of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone wanna split gas, up from NYC, for the March 23rd interview?

does anyone know if someone posted the match list for lecom-erie 2012?

Still waiting for an opening in Erie LDP. Accepted to SH PBL, but want to switch. Anyone interested??

is the class filled yet at Erie? I know they are still interviewing for another month atleast.

thats my question also is the class full?

i sent in my app last week, got my interview invite this week. Just wondering if they are just going to put everyone who interviews from here on out on the wait list.

On my wait list letter they said that "at this time the class size has been achieved". That was back in early march. So I'm thinking that means that they have handed out all the acceptances, now it's just a matter of waiting for people to decide not to go. That's what I'm thinking.

Hey- I was wondering if anyone has experience with community college credits for the science prereqs at LECOM. When I visited they said that they accept the credits but I wanted to double check before I take the courses. I am a post-bacc student and have a few sciences prereqs to finish and the four year college in my city only offers them in the middle of the day EVERY day. I work and cannot make it everyday. The community college schedule works for me. Wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem upon admission. Any thoughts?

Hey- I was wondering if anyone has experience with community college credits for the science prereqs at LECOM. When I visited they said that they accept the credits but I wanted to double check before I take the courses. I am a post-bacc student and have a few sciences prereqs to finish and the four year college in my city only offers them in the middle of the day EVERY day. I work and cannot make it everyday. The community college schedule works for me. Wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem upon admission. Any thoughts?

It wasn't a problem at all for me.

It's been 4 months and I'm still under review. :confused: Should I just assume these people hate me? lol

Is it ok to send LECOM a letter of interest or a letter of intent because I was put on the alternative list. and if yes who should i address it to?

The interview was really laid back, but my group had some very established candidates (one guy working on his Chemistry dissertation, a hockey champion, flight paramedic)... I don't know how I looked compared to them -- though I have no idea about their grades. But they did mention even if waitlisted, 120 people got taken off of the waitlist last year...

Hey guys! I am a 2nd year and will be moving to Pittsburgh in May to start my rotations. I own a 4 bedroom house in Erie, about 10 min from the main campus and 3 min from the PBL campus. I currently have two 1st yr ISP students (female) living here and I am looking for a 3rd female to move in this summer. The rent is $300/month and that includes utilities. If you are interested in cheaper housing, please email me @ [email protected]
Thanks

For those of you who have been waitlisted and have not been accepted anywhere else, the postbac program at LECOM may be a good option for you. If you maintain a 3.0 and do not fail any of the classes, you are GUARANTEED a spot in the medical school the following year. Pros - guaranteed acceptance and dont have to start repaying student loans, Cons - you will increase your student loan debt. If you decide this is the way you want to go, you should apply now because they only take 60-70 students. Your application will not affect you waitlist status and if you get accepted into the med school, you just have to cancel your postbac application. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

The interview was really laid back, but my group had some very established candidates (one guy working on his Chemistry dissertation, a hockey champion, flight paramedic)... I don't know how I looked compared to them -- though I have no idea about their grades. But they did mention even if waitlisted, 120 people got taken off of the waitlist last year...

Does anyone know how many people they waitlist?

Is it ok to send LECOM a letter of interest or a letter of intent because I was put on the alternative list. and if yes who should i address it to?

I sent a letter of interest for LECOM-Bradenton and they were very welcoming of it. I would send the letter to someone in the admissions office and/or whoever spoke to your group on behalf of the admissions dept. p.s. I was accepted off of the waitlist 1 month after my interview :) Best of luck with it!

Anyone know if the LECOM 2012 match list is out yet?

My husband is a first year at lecom erie and I remember how nerve racking it was to move a family to a completely new place. If any of y'all are moving with a family and have questions about housing, financial assistance, or just want someone to introduce you around, let me know. We have an amazing group of "lecom widows" here to support each other in this journey. Send me an email at [email protected] if you need anything

When you say 120 people get taken off of the waitlist each year, do you mean that 120 people on the waitlisted get accepted? If so, any idea if this is for Erie and SH combined? The reason I ask is because when I called in I was told that on average about 9 people deny their acceptance, meaning 9 people on the waitlist get accepted. It's confusing hearing all these different versions of things!

I was wondering if anyone can comment on the atmosphere among the students. Are they helpful towards each other, or compete against one another?

When you say 120 people get taken off of the waitlist each year, do you mean that 120 people on the waitlisted get accepted? If so, any idea if this is for Erie and SH combined? The reason I ask is because when I called in I was told that on average about 9 people deny their acceptance, meaning 9 people on the waitlist get accepted. It's confusing hearing all these different versions of things!

There was definitely a miscommunication somewhere in there. I know of a lot more then nine people who got in off the wait list for sure. You could probably read back through this forum and find close to nine people who gave up their spots already. I think they say they are full, but it's kinda like a few restaurants they are mostly full, but if a celebrity (outstanding applicant) shows up then they give them one of the reserved spots. Other then that they give away the wait list spots as people withdraw there applications.

Also you will see a lot of movement right after may 15th. That is the day md applicants who have paid a deposit at multiple schools have to make a choice. These ends up causing a landslide effect. Some people drop there d.o. acceptance for a newly offered m.d. spot. This then opens spots at several d.o. schools and people shift around in the d.o. system as they get off the waiting list at their top choice school. In the midst of all the shifting around several spots open up to pull people up who are still waiting on an acceptance. Be warned the shifting around is a long process it doesn't all happen that week. It comes in waves. At least that's how it seems to go. Sorry if I ramble a bit, but hopefully it made my point and gave some of y'all comfort. There is ALWAYS that person who gets accepted the week before or even the first week of school.

I was wondering if anyone can comment on the atmosphere among the students. Are they helpful towards each other, or compete against one another?

They are extremely helpful. They share everything notes, study guides, slides and videos they think are useful etc... My husbands year even has an online Dropbox so whenever anyone finds anything useful they post it on there so everyone has access to it. It has been really surprising how willing to help each other out everyone has been,

That's awesome! Exactly what I want. Thanks! :)

I think that means that 9 people don't send in the deposit. Of the people who send in a deposit maybe 110 change their mind and go somewhere else when it is all said and done. Hence 120 people may get taken off the waitlist at some point in the year.

I was thinking about this. Last year some school pulled 40 people off their waitlist. They had around 100 seats. LECOM i think is officially the largest DO school so 120 people getting of the wait list seems reasonable since they have over 300+ students combining SH and Bradenton. If it was 120 for just the Erie campus then that seems awfully high.

This question is for any current LECOM med students: Are you guys mainly taking unsubsidized loans to pay off the tuition? Is there any students just taking loans for the tuition? not counting housing/food etc., if so how much is your monthly interest rate?
I'm sorry for all these questions but I'm trying to get a picture of how much interest will accrued plus the loan amount once I graduate if I just take out the loans for tuition.

To those who've been accepted--when are we supposed to get information on housing, orientation, schedule, etc...?

Do they still have open seats here or are they interviewing for the wait list?

Interviewing Apr 27th, def not the last day of interviews as I was originally scheduled for May 4th and they also have a May 11th date.

They said 3/12. But I didn't hear anything.

URGENT: can anyone here please post a link to the admissions login page for LECOM??

I just got an interview invite for May 11. I had no clue schools interview past April. Anyone else get this date? (The date is actually good for me, since I would have just graduated, so I am not going to change it.)

I just got an interview invite for May 11. I had no clue schools interview past April. Anyone else get this date? (The date is actually good for me, since I would have just graduated, so I am not going to change it.)

Congrats! I've been waiting for a response forever :( Mind if I ask your stats?

No problem.

28Q MCAT (10 on verbal and bio), 3.61 cGPA, unknown science GPA (simply because I haven't calculated it yet, but I can tell you it is definitely above 3.0), Honors student, taking calculus III right now.
i also submitted the secondary last week and got the interview invite today.