Lenox Hill on Netflix?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone watching this documentary series on Netflix? It was filmed pre-Covid19 and the need to be up early in the morning is the only thing keeping me from binge watching.

No spoilers, please.

One thing I imagine has changed in the past 4 months is that no one is shaking hands all around when meeting with patients and families. In fact, that may be the second thing that has changed, that there isn't an entire family in the pre-op bay to kiss the patient before they go to surgery.

What surprised me most, I think, was the number of emergency department patients with drug/alcohol/psychiatric problems. Clearly, I've never worked or volunteered in a NYC ER and I guess I never thought about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 16 users
I finished the series today, and really enjoyed how viewers are able to see both the physician and patient sides of dealing with acute and/or chronic illnesses.

Perhaps because I grew up in a large metropolitan area, the number of patients with drug/alcohol/psychiatric issues seemed very normal or at least expected.

Reactions: 1 users
I binged it in two nights (would have done it in one but ER shifts are long and early lol) and I loved it. I honestly felt the ER one was missing some things but I understand they cant fit everything in. It gave me an interesting look into the "Floor Physicians" and how their days are. Overall I loved it and hope they continue after COVID is done

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I binged it in two nights (would have done it in one but ER shifts are long and early lol) and I loved it. I honestly felt the ER one was missing some things but I understand they cant fit everything in. It gave me an interesting look into the "Floor Physicians" and how their days are. Overall I loved it and hope they continue after COVID is done

As I watched the last two episodes I was thinking about the neurosurgery practice and how they might be in trouble in terms of not having cases during Covid and how that might affect their revenue stream this year.

As I watched the last two episodes I was thinking about the neurosurgery practice and how they might be in trouble in terms of not having cases during Covid and how that might affect their revenue stream this year.

I’m more worried about how the cancer has progressed in some of the patients that were unable to travel to them or follow up with them due to Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m more worried about how the cancer has progressed in some of the patients that were unable to travel to them or follow up with them due to Covid.

True but it will be years to rebuild and so many more patients who will go untreated, or travel longer distances, if the practice, and the whole hospital, go under. There are entire hospitals at risk of folding for lack of revenue.

True but it will be years to rebuild and so many more patients who will go untreated, or travel longer distances, if the practice, and the whole hospital, go under. There are entire hospitals at risk of folding for lack of revenue.

Next Wednesday they are releasing a new episode filmed between March 9 - April 8. I can’t wait to see how NYC hospitals differ from the one I am at and any other surprising changes.

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Thank you @LizzyM for sharing this series with us..
After all the disruptions in the last three months, I started to have time to look up SDN, catch up on my non medical reading, reflecting on our lack sense of reality in the medical field with all its flaws and setbacks exposed by the pandemic and amplified by health disparities and social racism.., it’s a perfect time to pull away from the storm and have a reality medical TV series to remind us of who we are.. and why we chose this path to be physicians.. and connect with the human elements of our profession to bring a deeper perspective to cope with our current events..,
I can’t wait to watch the “Pandemic” episode planned to air on June 24th !!

Reactions: 1 user
@LizzyM , Thanks for sharing this too! I've been watching Chicago Med and always looking for more medical dramas/shows :)

Ok I binged it and watched in 24 hours. Easily the best medical documentary series I’ve seen. I feel like it should be a requirement for premeds/med students to watch. Maybe I’m just turning into a sappy old lady, but the show does such an incredible job highlighting physician/patient interactions and relationships. I definitely lost count of the number of times I was moved by this show. This is what it’s all about, y’all! What a great group of doctors. Looking forward to the covid episode/update. I hope they’re all doing alright.

Reactions: 3 users
TBH compared to the NYC ER's I've seen, this place looked like the Ritz. Most NYC ERs dont have private rooms, or rooms at all. Just a bunch of beds and curtains.

Its a great show. One of the best/most accurate medical shows I've seen. They do such a good job capturing the internal politics and non-clinical drama that goes into running a hospital. Really fascinating.

Reactions: 2 users
I can confirm.our local hospital has started furloughing people. Radiology volumes down about 70% for a couple months. No cancer screenings or follow ups. I think we will pull through, but there will be a couple rough spots as it takes 60 to 90 days to get paid now that volume is back to 90-95%. Bankrupting hospitals during a pandemic doesnt make much sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
God forbid they cut back on administrators

What surprised me most, I think, was the number of emergency department patients with drug/alcohol/psychiatric problems. Clearly, I've never worked or volunteered in a NYC ER and I guess I never thought about it.
Definitely a big takeaway for me during EMT training. I'd even just gotten out of a class at university with a whole unit about the opiod epidemic and it still didn't hit me until I actually saw them in the beds.

Thanks for the recommendation btw. I just finished my last show on Netflix so this was just in time.

I liked it. Pretty solid depiction of neurosurgery—the lady with the huge tumor encasing the carotid was a crazy case. What struck me was how many wild storylines they had. Everyone had a personal story going on. If it were a primetime network drama I would have said it was too dramatic and unrealistic with all the side stories, but they were all real and ostensibly within a pretty short timeframe.

Yeah I agree. I really liked it but felt it was heavy on the neurosurgery and I wanted to see more especially from the ER. Could be totally out of their control though depending on how many patients gave permission to film. Overall though, I thought it did a good job showing the humanity of both the doctors and patients.

Yeah I agree. I really liked it but felt it was heavy on the neurosurgery and I wanted to see more especially from the ER. Could be totally out of their control though depending on how many patients gave permission to film. Overall though, I thought it did a good job showing the humanity of both the doctors and patients.

Well, they followed 2 neurosurgeons, a OB resident and a emergency medicine doc so there was a blend of surgeries, deliveries and "emergencies".

Well, they followed 2 neurosurgeons, a OB resident and a emergency medicine doc so there was a blend of surgeries, deliveries and "emergencies".

Yes. What I’m trying to say is that it came off to me as more focused on the neurosurgery aspect. I am not sure of the actual time spent in each department so it may not even be technically true. I think it felt this way to me, though, because they were able to involve the whole NSG department and follow patients long term. In some ways that’s because NSG has chronic patients, but OB does too (residents do have clinic patients they follow), and I actually think shows like Untold Stories of the ER do a decent job expanding on ER patients’ stories despite it being over a shorter time frame. I would’ve liked to see maybe following women’s pregnancies throughout their course not just deliveries (we kinda got that from the two female doctors’ pregnancies), and for the ER, maybe more about the differential diagnosis process. And more of the departments not just the single doctors. Again, this may be out of the filmmakers’ control in some ways. I still really enjoyed it, just thought they could’ve expanded more within the other two specialties.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to start by saying how happy it makes me to see people talking about this show!

I’m a current medical student at the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Lenox Hill Hospital is one of our affiliated hospitals and clinical training sites. Through Zucker SOM, I was actually able to do research and directly work alongside several of the attending physicians in the Neurosurgery Department at Lenox Hill Hospital, and one in particular is still my mentor. I’m also about to start my MS3 year and will be doing 3 of my upcoming rotations at Lenox Hill Hospital, including OB/GYN, so it was great to see that highlighted as well.

All in all, I can confirm that these teams of physicians are really as incredible as they appear on the show. If anyone has any questions about my experience or the Zucker SOM in general, please feel free to PM me!

Last edited:
Has anyone watched the covid episode yet? One episode didn’t do it justice but very sad. I can’t imagine what everyone in NYC hospitals went through.

Has anyone watched the covid episode yet? One episode didn’t do it justice but very sad. I can’t imagine what everyone in NYC hospitals went through.

I haven't had a chance to watch the Lenox Hill "Pandemic" episode yet, but it you want to see more of the height of the pandemic in NYC hospitals I recommend the CBS documentary filmed at Montefiore (teaching hospital for Einstein) in the Bronx, able to be viewed here:

I haven't had a chance to watch the Lenox Hill "Pandemic" episode yet, but it you want to see more of the height of the pandemic in NYC hospitals I recommend the CBS documentary filmed at Montefiore (teaching hospital for Einstein) in the Bronx, able to be viewed here:

Thank you for the recommendation! Will be watching this next.

Despite my natural affinity to Neurosurgery and its glamorous work.. it can drain you emotionally,
I know it did to me.. where I drifted away..,
Wether you are saving a life from cancer, addiction, or lately from a Virus.., or if you are helping someone to bring a life to this world.., this series showed you a glimpse of the noble work that all other specialties can do.. in a nice and simple humanistic way!!

Yes the Covid19 episode was short and it did not depict the pandemic in great details.., but you can imagine the logistical difficulties to picture such struggle in dealing with this tragedy and its emotional toll on all of them..
it did rock their hospital to the core and caused so much pain and suffering with financial distress.. that is threatening now to bring down so many small rural hospitals throughout the country in this pandemic successive regional waves..,

I am not sure when they will recover from this.., to gear back and be ready to produce another episode of this good real medical series to make it as a good reality introduction to all our aspiring young physicians..!!

Thank you @DarklingThrush for reminding me that the Covid-19 episode had dropped. I dropped everything and watched it last night. My only quibble was with the on-screen counter of "mortality rate" that was not a rate (a rate is expressed as a number in relationship with population.... death per 100,000 population, infant deaths per 1,000 births, etc).

The justified aprehension on the part of the doctor in the emergency department and the compassion of the surgeon pressed into service as an intensivist were humbling.

Because virtual things are real things right now and there's a push to do virtual shadowing, do you believe watching Lenox Hill could count as shadowing? On one website to a small medical school I had never heard of, I found the TV series listed under virtual shadowing opportunities. This got me thinking...however, I DO NOT want it to come across as trying to play the system. To limit the ambiguity I was thinking about starting a medical documentary club at my school or something and listing it there. Lenox Hill and other documentaries could definitely count as an activity that would display medical exploration and exposure. I thought this question would apply to all who are enjoying Lenox Hill @LizzyM

• Wow
Because virtual things are real things right now and there's a push to do virtual shadowing, do you believe watching Lenox Hill could count as shadowing? On one website to a small medical school I had never heard of, I found the TV series listed under virtual shadowing opportunities. This got me thinking...however, I DO NOT want it to come across as trying to play the system. To limit the ambiguity I was thinking about starting a medical documentary club at my school or something and listing it there. Lenox Hill and other documentaries could definitely count as an activity that would display medical exploration and exposure. I thought this question would apply to all who are enjoying Lenox Hill @LizzyM

Even with this current pandemic, I refuse to believe that we live in a world where watching Netflix adds any value at all to our medical school application.

Because virtual things are real things right now and there's a push to do virtual shadowing, do you believe watching Lenox Hill could count as shadowing? On one website to a small medical school I had never heard of, I found the TV series listed under virtual shadowing opportunities.[/USER]

Please share the link to the med school virtual shadowing opportunities page. Thanks!

Yeah! I know @NPComplete That's why I was asking, I thought that was extremely unexpected... Here's the link. Its with the American Medical Women's Association, not a medical school. And it was listed under online seminars along with the shadowing opportunities.