Lincoln Memorial Uni. Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well, Thank You!!! I really appreciate all the input and the encouragment.

I've been accepted to LMU and I am very excited!!! I paid my deposit too.

I am just worried right now because I'm really not sure what to do at this point. Tuition Due date? how to come up with all the money? and if it is going to be a Masters for sure? Also, where am I going to live? God I can't believe I am going to be leaving this job that I've had for 6.5 years! I am very happy though. Who is joing me there from Florida?:laugh:

Congrats and good luck! Most of our class got accepted into DCOM for this year so there will be a lot of us former post-baccs around to help.

Not sure what the tuition date is, but I think a lot of us paid for the program with student loans. Which sucks, but if it gets you into med school, its worth it! And as far as where to live, there are a few on campus options, but if you want to find a place off-campus, you may want to check the postings here:

http://www.dcomdo.com/classifieds/

Members don't see this ad.

When did you get the acceptance?? I'm still waiting and so nervous!! Holly told me the admissions committee would be meeting this week... But I haven't heard anything yet.

well, Thank You!!! I really appreciate all the input and the encouragment.

I've been accepted to LMU and I am very excited!!! I paid my deposit too.

I am just worried right now because I'm really not sure what to do at this point. Tuition Due date? how to come up with all the money? and if it is going to be a Masters for sure? Also, where am I going to live? God I can't believe I am going to be leaving this job that I've had for 6.5 years! I am very happy though. Who is joing me there from Florida?:laugh:

I found out this morning. I would give her a call or email and check the status. I know that seats are filling up and there are only a few left. Good Luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Gilligan26 thank you so much! What kind of loans did you use? Undergrad, grad, private? how and when did you apply?

Oh! Congrats! I called twice and left a message. When did you apply if you don't mind me asking... I hope there's still room left for mee :confused:

I found out this morning. I would give her a call or email and check the status. I know that seats are filling up and there are only a few left. Good Luck!!!

Hello everyone!

I will be joining you guys next month. I just got my acceptance email and my letter will be coming shortly I was told. I am going!

Does anyone have a checklist of the things we need to do and how to do them?(housing, fees, etc.)

@Gilligan26 thank you so much! What kind of loans did you use? Undergrad, grad, private? how and when did you apply?

I believe the school will offer you $12,500 in financial aid. As for the rest, I took out a loan from Sallie Mae. I'm not sure what others did

So the ones who are not accepted, what did they do wrong?

I just got accepted today as well!! So excited! Where is everyone planning to live? It's so late in the summer and I have only weeks to find a nice area/apartment/place to stay and sign a lease...

I just got accepted today as well!! So excited! Where is everyone planning to live? It's so late in the summer and I have only weeks to find a nice area/apartment/place to stay and sign a lease...

Probably seen it on here before but dcomdo.com is where I found my place and seems to be the go to place if you want to find a house/apartment off campus. Congrats to everyone who got accepted lately!!!

Will I be fine with a bike to get around the university and my housing area? Or do people usually drive everywhere? If so, I need to buy a car from somewhere around there..

It all has to do with performance in the courses and your MCAT score. There were a few people with MCATs below 20 and poor performance in the medical courses (below an 80). Treat this like its your last chance to get into medical school (because it very well might be). Work hard and don't give them an excuse to not accept you. You'll get back what you put in.

Will I be fine with a bike to get around the university and my housing area? Or do people usually drive everywhere? If so, I need to buy a car from somewhere around there..

Unfortunately, there are no sidewalks anywhere in Harrogate. We had a few without cars but after a few months of constantly bumming rides for others, I believe most of them ended up getting cars. Its really hard to get around without one since everything is so spread out. (You'll even have to drive into KY just to get groceries)

I got accepted last week as well. So excited to meet everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you guys that already went through the PMSP, did they talk to you guys about the upcoming Master's program at all? If so, what did they say?

I think it was a lot of factors but the main thing was not doing as well in classes as was expected. There might've been people with high C's that got in but you don't want to risk it in a post-bacc program. From what I understand, the people that didn't get in had lower grades in their classes (especially MGA--not doing well in that first semester will make it impossible for you to take med school classes second semester, so it can really hurt you), had MCATs that were in the low 20's (22 or lower), and/or had something in their application/interview that hurt them.

Like people have said before, if you do well in MGA and have a decent MCAT, you'll be fine. LMU really isn't the type of school that's out to get anyone and rob them of their money. If you're concerned at all about your performance, Janette Martin, Dr. Cross, Holly and most everyone else is very open to having you come in and talk to them. Plenty of people did do that during the year and they got their questions answered.

Thank you eveyone for all of your help!

I am a bit disappointed that there is not "guarantee", which I know is hard to come by (I think LECOM is the only one that explicitly states it). I will deff keep this as an alternative in case I cant get into a Med school next year.

thanks again!

Thank you eveyone for all of your help!

I am a bit disappointed that there is not "guarantee", which I know is hard to come by (I think LECOM is the only one that explicitly states it). I will deff keep this as an alternative in case I cant get into a Med school next year.

thanks again!

LECOM actually doesn't explicitly state it. Call them to clarify the acceptance letter and you will see that it is not an actual guarantee. There are other factors to consider in addition when picking which school is right for you. Your success is dependent on various factors and a school that fits you as a person cannot be overlooked. LECOM is PBL and if you like that type of learning then go for it but if not, there are other programs better suited towards helping you succeed.

Do most pmsp students stay in the housing offered in the admission packet? Or are you guys able to find good apt rentals? I am planning on visiting this week...

Do most pmsp students stay in the housing offered in the admission packet? Or are you guys able to find good apt rentals? I am planning on visiting this week...

About half stayed on campus and half off. Check out Ball Realty, a lot of students live in those apartments. Also check out dcomdo.com/classifieds

About half stayed on campus and half off. Check out Ball Realty, a lot of students live in those apartments. Also check out dcomdo.com/classifieds

Nice, thank you! Is it generally less expensive to rent than stay on campus? I would just need to find a female roommate, which I don't know how to go about doing...lol. I'll try the websites you listed.

Just accepted to the post bac/ masters program. Anyone know if there is a FB group for the entering class?

Just accepted to the post bac/ masters program. Anyone know if there is a FB group for the entering class?

Congrats! See you there!

but from what I've seen on here with at least a 22 MCAT and a good showing in the program especially in the dcom classes you should get in. If any current students or past ones have any input on this I would love to hear it.

Is this the official word? I don't have to retake MCAT if I scored a 22 to get into DCOM(assuming I get a 3.0 in the program)? I don't mind taking it again but if it is not necessary and a 22 is enough I don't want to spend more money for MCAT.

Congrats! See you there!

Is this the official word? I don't have to retake MCAT if I scored a 22 to get into DCOM(assuming I get a 3.0 in the program)? I don't mind taking it again but if it is not necessary and a 22 is enough I don't want to spend more money for MCAT.

This is just what I've got from this thread so take it for what it is but most students seem to agree that with a 22 and a good showing in the program (especially the med school classes) that you should get in. Of course that could change this coming year, who knows. I can tell you the average MCAT for PMSP students accepted into dcom this round was a little over 23 so you can assume there were several students below 23 if that was an average. I can also tell you I am waitlisted at dcom right now with a 22 so I would think if they would consider me for admissions without the program surely they would accept me if I can go there and prove I can make it in med school classes but yet again I'm just starting this fall so maybe a previous student could chime in.

Nice, thank you! Is it generally less expensive to rent than stay on campus? I would just need to find a female roommate, which I don't know how to go about doing...lol. I'll try the websites you listed.

Depending on where you live, I think its about the same price. As for finding a roommate, check out the facebook page for the PMSP as well as the page for the entering medical class. Lots of people are looking for roommates.

We don't have a separate page for each PMSP class, but there is one facebook page that has a collection of past and future students.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/128398037236394/

Hi Everyone! I am new to SDN but I just wanted to familiarize myself with this thread because I am going to be applying to the program for the 2014-2015 academic year. I have graduated already but I am in the process of completing pre-requisites and re-taking some courses in order to apply to this program. I am very anxious and hope that I am able to get accepted next year. If you guys have any recommendations for me please let me know. I have prior clinical research experience, volunteering experience within the hospital and a free clinic, and have references from a D.O. I want to know everything I can possibly do to enhance my chances of being accepted. I am planning to take the MCAT this year (fingers crossed for a great score), and feel as if this program would be very beneficial for me. I appreciate any responses! Also, congratulations to those of you that have been accepted and best of luck this upcoming year!

So I couldn't see the wall of the entering class of 2017, but I browsed the PMSP fb page....Any major pros/cons between living in campus housing vs renting an apt for the first year?

The MCAT question has also been on my mind and I am glad that others are discussing it here. The program's MCAT requirement was raised this year to be a min of 20. So why would they accept you to the program if you had anything below a 22 (and at least 20) knowing that you will not get into DCOM with that score? The way I see it, we were all accepted for a reason. If we had no chances of getting accepted even if we were to do well in the program, then that really hurts the program itself. From what I've gathered, if you were accepted (which also means that you've had some decent gpa and mcat of at least 20), and you were to do well in MGA and Histo (80%+), and you do well in the interview, then your chances of getting accepted are higher.

Any input from current or past students is highly appreciated.

So I couldn't see the wall of the entering class of 2017, but I browsed the PMSP fb page....Any major pros/cons between living in campus housing vs renting an apt for the first year?

You can join the 2017 page if you want. In fact, might be a good idea since you'll be in classes with the 1st year students and they'll probably share study guides, etc. One con of living on campus might be that its an alcohol-free campus, unless you live at the Inn or Lee/Mars. I also think that the on campus options are expensive considering the amount of space you get. Major con of living off campus is that its hard to find a place to live. Other than that, there's really no difference.

The MCAT question has also been on my mind and I am glad that others are discussing it here. The program's MCAT requirement was raised this year to be a min of 20. So why would they accept you to the program if you had anything below a 22 (and at least 20) knowing that you will not get into DCOM with that score? The way I see it, we were all accepted for a reason. If we had no chances of getting accepted even if we were to do well in the program, then that really hurts the program itself. From what I've gathered, if you were accepted (which also means that you've had some decent gpa and mcat of at least 20), and you were to do well in MGA and Histo (80%+), and you do well in the interview, then your chances of getting accepted are higher.

Exactly, they accept you into this program if you're considered a "borderline" student for med school. Your stats are on the line and this is their chance to give you a test run at being a med student.

Anyone looking for a roommate? Or need a place to stay and doesn't mind having a roommate...? Message me. I'm neat and clean, Indian, vegetarian, and pretty easy going. Oh, and I'm a pretty darn good cook. :p

How many letters of recommendation would you guys suggest getting? I am planning to have 2 from science faculty, one from a D.O., and another from my research adviser. Would any more be too much? Thanks!

Adding to the pro/con list: a good thing about living on campus/at the Inn is that it's furnished. It's convenient if you're moving cross-country and don't have time to buy furniture. Also utilities are included with rent. A con is that it IS more expensive and if you're not used to the area, it's difficult knowing where to look.

How many letters of recommendation would you guys suggest getting? I am planning to have 2 from science faculty, one from a D.O., and another from my research adviser. Would any more be too much? Thanks!

I was told to also get one from a professor that you have from the post-bacc program.

I agree with what some of the people above have said. If they accept you, they want you to succeed. For people with low MCATs, they were told at the time of admission that they would have to retake the test. If you're still concerned about it, I would talk to Janette Martin and/or Holly and see what they say. They're upfront and will tell you what they think.

Adding to the pro/con list: a good thing about living on campus/at the Inn is that it's furnished. It's convenient if you're moving cross-country and don't have time to buy furniture. Also utilities are included with rent. A con is that it IS more expensive and if you're not used to the area, it's difficult knowing where to look.

I'm coming all the way from Chicago....I'm actually visiting all day tomorrow so I'll check out the housing if I can....I really just care about convenience and space (aka big closet lol)...So if any girls need a roommate, PM me! :)

@schwasted589, when you say they were told to retake during admission....were you referring to DCOM's admissions or the post bac itself? Would this happen during the program? I don't think it is a smart idea to retake the MCAT during a post bac program.

@schwasted589, when you say they were told to retake during admission....were you referring to DCOM's admissions or the post bac itself? Would this happen during the program? I don't think it is a smart idea to retake the MCAT during a post bac program.

TBH, I'm not sure of the specifics. I would contact admissions at DCOM and/or Holly/Dr. Jarstfer and see if they have any input. I'm assuming that if they accepted you this year they're fine with your stats. There was a different advisor for the program in the past and changes were made after he left so you should be fine with your scores if they accepted you. But again, I wouldn't take any of our words for it. Double check to make sure.

I just got a packet in the mail about orientation. It says on the first day there will be ETS biology testing and vocabulary testing. Anyone know anything about this? I wasn't expecting any testing on the first day lol, what do they use this for?

Last edited:
I just got a packet in the mail about orientation. It says on the first day there will be ETS biology testing and vocabulary testing. Anyone know anything about this? I wasn't expecting any testing on the first day lol, what do they use this for?

:laugh: I almost forgot about those. The first day of orientation they gave us several "tests" that only lasted about 10 minutes or so each. They aren't graded and are really just to give you an idea of where you stand.

:laugh: I almost forgot about those. The first day of orientation they gave us several "tests" that only lasted about 10 minutes or so each. They aren't graded and are really just to give you an idea of where you stand.

Like multiple choice test? Is it something we need to study for?

No, there's nothing to study for. The only tests I remember was a vocabulary test (just general vocab, not medically related) and then a test to find out what type of learner you are (visual, print, hands-on, etc). IMO, I thought the only real function the tests served were just to take up time during the orientation. I felt like they just wanted our orientation to take up the whole day and doing those tests helped accomplish that.

lol. nothing you have to study for. First day is fairly chill. There's breakfast, a LONG ice-breaker, and people talking at you about the program. And random tests. I honestly only remember the vocab one and the one about learning styles.

I don't have that orientation info in my packet. Do you think they revised it in the last few months? Also, any word on the proposed masters?

I don't have that orientation info in my packet. Do you think they revised it in the last few months? Also, any word on the proposed masters?
I just visited this past week and they said they should be hearing any day now.

I wasn't in my original packet.. It was a new letter that I recieved. It said they haven't heard a decision about the masters yet but it said they would let everyone know the day they found out.

I just got the orientation schedule today so now i realized what was going on thank you!

For those who chose LMU over other schools such as PCOM, would you mind telling me why? This was a realllyyy last minute decision for me, I didnt apply anywhere else...

I've received the orientation package as well but it doesn't have much information about what we need to bring with us. Does anyone know if we need scrubs or a dissection kit for MGA? Is there a list of specific books that we need to buy ahead of time? Should we wear a tie for orientation or just dress causually? Any information or details would be highly appreciated...:)

I've received the orientation package as well but it doesn't have much information about what we need to bring with us. Does anyone know if we need scrubs or a dissection kit for MGA? Is there a list of specific books that we need to buy ahead of time? Should we wear a tie for orientation or just dress causually? Any information or details would be highly appreciated...:)

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/oms1_fall_books.pdf

This is the book list for the 1st year med students. Check what is listed under MGA for required supplies. You'll need scrubs and maybe a dissection kit, but don't buy either until you get to Harrogate. They may assign a specific color to you and someone in your dissection group may already have a kit, plus a lot of people donated their kits to the lab last year.

As for books in MGA, even though it says "required" you don't actually NEED any of them. The notes in class are sufficient for passing the test. Though you will need the Grant's dissector to know the procedures in lab. Netter's is also really helpful, but the best atlas in my opinion is Rohen because it has actual pictures of cadavers (this book isn't on the list but its good).

Orientation is business casual.

@Gillian26, Thank you so much for the info! I was asking just to be prepared and buy things here ahead of time. Someone else before mentioned that you have to take MGA lab in order to do actual cadaver dissection...apparently that's not true and the MGA course consists of a lab component.

I appreciate the recommendations as far as the books and everything else!!! I really wish there was a list of FAQs or a "things I wish I knew before starting the program" thread lol.

Does anyone know when the housing information(room #, etc.) for the Mars/Lee apartments will be released?

I would hope really soon as I am planning to move there in 3 weeks but I have not gotten anything about check ins. I called housing just to make sure they assigned me a room.you could try the same

@Gillian26, Thank you so much for the info! I was asking just to be prepared and buy things here ahead of time. Someone else before mentioned that you have to take MGA lab in order to do actual cadaver dissection...apparently that's not true and the MGA course consists of a lab component.

I appreciate the recommendations as far as the books and everything else!!! I really wish there was a list of FAQs or a "things I wish I knew before starting the program" thread lol.

There are entirely 2 different things and the person that posted that was correct. First semester, you take MGA which has a lecture and lab component. The lab component is where you're divided into groups of 4-5 and you dissect a cadaver. Then you study from that cadaver and you're tested on organs/innervations FROM those cadavers during the practical portion of your block exam.

Then second semester, if you get above an 80 in MGA, you have the option of taking a prosection course. In this course, you're also divided into groups of 4-5 and you dissect an entire cadaver from beginning to end. Those cadavers are used to teach PA students over the summer. This course is only for post-baccs so there's no other OMS-1s there.