Long Island University Fall 2012 Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I read on the LIU website that you need to have a minimum of 3.0 or higher for all math and science subjects as well as for the cumulative gpa. What if I have over a 3.0 gpa for everything except science? What are my chances for getting an interview or getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

It is nice to know that I am not the only one getting these emails. what exactly is a verification code? do you only get it if you call LIU directly? Or is it necessary that we have that code?

I think it's just to verify that they have your PharmCAS and supplement otherwise you don't get a verification code. However this is only conjecture at this point because when I asked this same question to the person on the other end they didn't really give a proper or clear response. Instead they were very curt and condescending which really turned me off from the school. I called in three times (each call was about two weeks to a month apart because I didn't want to annoy them) and this rude behavior was experienced each time.

I hope I don't sound like I'm bashing the school or anything because I'm sure it's a great school but it's just extra frustrating because every other school has been extra nice and responsive. Hope you guys have more luck than me :thumbup:

I think it's just to verify that they have your PharmCAS and supplement otherwise you don't get a verification code. However this is only conjecture at this point because when I asked this same question to the person on the other end they didn't really give a proper or clear response. Instead they were very curt and condescending which really turned me off from the school. I called in three times (each call was about two weeks to a month apart because I didn't want to annoy them) and this rude behavior was experienced each time.

I hope I don't sound like I'm bashing the school or anything because I'm sure it's a great school but it's just extra frustrating because every other school has been extra nice and responsive. Hope you guys have more luck than me :thumbup:

I have the same problem. Every time I called the school, they were unclear in their explanation and gave vague details. This school is seriously my first choice!! And I agree it is frustrating because other schools are VERY responsive... all except this school. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, it is very helpful for me. Btw, do you know is that one on one interview rite?

My friend said two people interviewed him. He said both were faculty as well. One helpful hint he told me is that they let you ask them any questions at the end of the interview and depending on their tone and the way they talk to you at the end, you can always tell how did your interview go.

For example, he asked them: What should I do to succeed in the pharmacy program and afterwards? They both kept giving him advices for 15 minutes or more. They wouldn't obviously give him all these advices if they knew he wouldn't be accepted or if the interview didn't go well.

Did anyone else who are transfers received any interviews yet? I still waiting for mines!:( This is my first choice and I'm depressed...........

(Accepted to two pharm schools already and still I really really really want to come here).

Did anyone else who are transfers received any interviews yet? I still waiting for mines!:( This is my first choice and I'm depressed...........

(Accepted to two pharm schools already and still I really really really want to come here).

No! They didn't even tell me that they received my application. It's funny because my application is probably the strongest application they have and they still didn't send me anything.

Why do you want to go to LIU that much? I went to that school in person and it is very small, buildings are not clean, and it is too expensive.

That's very odd.. I started the general application they want transfers to complete but don't quite remember completing it and never submitted the supplemental fee, yet I got an invite. I was very surprised because my GPA is not even that great..
Try giving them a call because I don't think they have a lot of interview dates left.

That's very odd.. I started the general application they want transfers to complete but don't quite remember completing it and never submitted the supplemental fee, yet I got an invite. I was very surprised because my GPA is not even that great..
Try giving them a call because I don't think they have a lot of interview dates left.

What was your GPA?

WAT! My GPA is 4.0 with 92 credits and they didn't even tell me they received my application. It's my last last choice any ways even though it's like 30 minutes from my home by transportation and 10 minutes drive.

BTW congrats! I know lots of people in there and have a lot of connections with pharmacists in this area so if you ever get there, stay in touch and I will hook you up !

WAT! My GPA is 4.0 with 92 credits and they didn't even tell me they received my application. It's my last last choice any ways even though it's like 30 minutes from my home by transportation and 10 minutes drive.

BTW congrats! I know lots of people in there and have a lot of connections with pharmacists in this area so if you ever get there, stay in touch and I will hook you up !

Thanks! I''m not sure if I'm going to go to the interview though. This school isn't my first choice and I'm from CA so don't know if it's even worth it to spend money on travel. If you dont mind me asking, why don't you want to go to this school?
I read some reviews of this school and students complained of the faculty not being that great. Do people you know who go there have similar complaints??

Thanks! I''m not sure if I'm going to go to the interview though. This school isn't my first choice and I'm from CA so don't know if it's even worth it to spend money on travel. If you dont mind me asking, why don't you want to go to this school?
I read some reviews of this school and students complained of the faculty not being that great. Do people you know who go there have similar complaints??

Oh yes....I went there last week and essentially all my friends who are in the pharmacy program said that it is the worst program ever because they stress you out for no reason and you don't learn as much as other programs. One of my friends have been in LIU since after high school in their pre pharm program and she got kicked out during her first pharmacy school year because she had some problems and couldn't keep the exact GPA required even though she was very close. She said that the college keeps having fire alarms almost every 2 days and the buildings are dirty and kept complaining.

Don't think I'm throwing you away to take your spot. You are free to go there of course but I thought I would share what I heard. And it is also too expensive.....you got the top programs in CA, why not get in any colleges there? Were you refused because of your GPA?

If I get accepted into UB, I'm going there and choosing it over LIU even though it's 7 hours drive vs just 10 minutes from LIU.

Oh yes....I went there last week and essentially all my friends who are in the pharmacy program said that it is the worst program ever because they stress you out for no reason and you don't learn as much as other programs. One of my friends have been in LIU since after high school in their pre pharm program and she got kicked out during her first pharmacy school year because she had some problems and couldn't keep the exact GPA required even though she was very close. She said that the college keeps having fire alarms almost every 2 days and the buildings are dirty and kept complaining.

Don't think I'm throwing you away to take your spot. You are free to go there of course but I thought I would share what I heard. And it is also too expensive.....you got the top programs in CA, why not get in any colleges there? Were you refused because of your GPA?

If I get accepted into UB, I'm going there and choosing it over LIU even though it's 7 hours drive vs just 10 minutes from LIU.

Thanks for the info! :)

I applied to 2 in CA but got rejected from one and stil waiting on the other. :xf:

When did you interview with UB? I was supposed to have mine Feb 17 but had to cancel last minute so they offered to do it off Skype!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! :)

I applied to 2 in CA but got rejected from one and stil waiting on the other. :xf:

When did you interview with UB? I was supposed to have mine Feb 17 but had to cancel last minute so they offered to do it off Skype!

I have interview in March 2nd....wait, they let you have an interview off skype? I didn't know that. Were there any exceptional reasons that convinced them to do it off skype?

I have interview in March 2nd....wait, they let you have an interview off skype? I didn't know that. Were there any exceptional reasons that convinced them to do it off skype?

Something personal came up last minute and I'm assuming the later interview days were already full so they made an exception. Goodluck on your interview!

Something personal came up last minute and I'm assuming the later interview days were already full so they made an exception. Goodluck on your interview!

Thank you :) hopefully we both attend there !

Congrats on the invite. I did try calling them and they told me that it is still under review. The wait is killing me! I've already have 5 other pharmacy interviews planned and confirmed but I will reject them immediately if I can get a interview at LIU.

I applied as a transfer too, right before their supplemental deadline and just had my interview last week. I think i got the interview invite about 3 weeks ago.

I applied as a transfer too, right before their supplemental deadline and just had my interview last week. I think i got the interview invite about 3 weeks ago.

When did you submit your application?

When did you applied? And may I ask your stats?

When did you applied? And may I ask your stats?

I guess we both didn't see the part that he said right before the supplemental deadline and we just went ahead and asked when did he apply :D

I guess we both didn't see the part that he said right before the supplemental deadline and we just went ahead and asked when did he apply :D

i forget..... was the supplemental deadline, the same as the deadline for the pharmcas application for LIU on Jan. 5, 2012?

i forget..... was the supplemental deadline, the same as the deadline for the pharmcas application for LIU on Jan. 5, 2012?

As far as I know, yes they are the same....

It's drawing to the last week of February and I still have not received an invitation for an interview. Can anyone please tell me when would be the appropriate time to give LIU a call to ask them about my application? I've called them twice already and still nothing from them. I know LIU conduct interviews til the end of March but does anyone know when they stop giving out interviews??

pleaseeee this is my FIRST choice.... I can't let this pass me by :(

It's drawing to the last week of February and I still have not received an invitation for an interview. Can anyone please tell me when would be the appropriate time to give LIU a call to ask them about my application? I've called them twice already and still nothing from them. I know LIU conduct interviews til the end of March but does anyone know when they stop giving out interviews??

pleaseeee this is my FIRST choice.... I can't let this pass me by :(

Some of their own students got interviews in March so there is still some time. I have no idea why you like the school very much but ya I have a lot of friends there and that's what they told me !

The wait is over! I got an interview! How should I prepare for this interview????:D What should I be expecting?? Anyone had an interview already? What should I be expecting??

The wait is over! I got an interview! How should I prepare for this interview????:D What should I be expecting?? Anyone had an interview already? What should I be expecting??

Good job, congratulation. i applied there but didnt get a interview call yet, but the only advise i can give u is, be urself, speak the truth.

i just got invited for an interview...i m sooo excited...i registered for 19th march at 10:20 a.m anyone else registering for the same day???

i just got invited for an interview...i m sooo excited...i registered for 19th march at 10:20 a.m anyone else registering for the same day???

did they call you or email you, or mail you in papers?

How big is the class size? 200 students per class?

they emailed me and then i had to go their interview website to choose a day and time for an interview...

where r u from? i mean which state? where did you do your pre-pharmacy coursework?

I am from NJ and I have done my Pre-Pharmacy from Rutgers University...

I did my pre-pharmacy coursework from Florida, maybe they don't like floridians, hahahahaha. i can't wait to hear a news from them. so nervous. uff

hey ! i am a transfer student and I had my interview last week!
the interview was with two faculty members and it was preety laid back..
they asked about 7 questions and they were kinda simple except for that question about a friend copying from your assignment, lol.
i hope i get accepted though

they asked about 7 questions and they were kinda simple except for that question about a friend copying from your assignment, lol.

When did you submit your application?

i submitted my application in December

I submitted in the end of november and I have a 4.0 GPA and 79 % PCAT (Much much higher than what they require) and still didn't even hear that they received my application.

This school is a joke, seriously !

But congrats for you...are you out of state?

I did my pre-pharmacy coursework from Florida, maybe they don't like floridians, hahahahaha. i can't wait to hear a news from them. so nervous. uff

hahaha no i think they just havent started reviewing ur app yet....hope u get an email soon...

I submitted in the end of november and I have a 4.0 GPA and 79 % PCAT (Much much higher than what they require) and still didn't even hear that they received my application.

This school is a joke, seriously !

But congrats for you...are you out of state?

lol! thanks though....
no i live in NY!

Small world! I also completed my pre reqs at Rutgers and I have an interview at the same time! will definitely see you there then :)

Small world! I also completed my pre reqs at Rutgers and I have an interview at the same time! will definitely see you there then :)

hahaa what a small world...!!! loll do u go to RU Newark or New brunswick??

Hi! I am a transfer student as well. I am sure that you did fab and shouldn't worry about it. Would you mind sharing a bit of your experience during the interview and possible questions that they asked you? That would be great help. This is my first choice and I don't want to mess it up because I have really bad interviewing skills or lack of.

Hi! I am a transfer student as well. I am sure that you did fab and shouldn't worry about it. Would you mind sharing a bit of your experience during the interview and possible questions that they asked you? That would be great help. This is my first choice and I don't want to mess it up because I have really bad interviewing skills or lack of.

Definitely!

The Interview is very laid back.. I was interviewed by two faculty members.
They really emphasize on making the interview more of a conversation rather than just questions and answers. Some of the questions were, how would a friend describe me, what are my weaknesses, if I am in a difficult situation whether at school or wrk how would I deal with that problem. They want to see if you are able to solve problems and think critically.

I wish they would have given me an a tour of the pharmacy building though..
All the best and good luck!

do you know how many people apply to the school including transfers?

Definitely!

The Interview is very laid back.. I was interviewed by two faculty members.
They really emphasize on making the interview more of a conversation rather than just questions and answers. Some of the questions were, how would a friend describe me, what are my weaknesses, if I am in a difficult situation whether at school or wrk how would I deal with that problem. They want to see if you are able to solve problems and think critically.

I wish they would have given me an a tour of the pharmacy building though..
All the best and good luck!

Very helpful!! Thanks for the feedback!!!! I'm sure you are one of the top candidates for the school no worries. :D

Sorry for the late response! I go to RU New brunswick! btw is LIU your first choice??

I go to RU Newark...and yea LIU is my first choice...however i got into FDU and had interview today at LECOM in Florida...so waiting for their reply too...lets see what happens..but yea i really wanna go to LIU....how abt u??

I go to RU Newark...and yea LIU is my first choice...however i got into FDU and had interview today at LECOM in Florida...so waiting for their reply too...lets see what happens..but yea i really wanna go to LIU....how abt u??

I got accepted into Temple but LIU is closer to me, so we'll see how it goes. Good luck!