Masters Program For Foreign Trained Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi everybody,am a new member and am very happy to join u guys.i hav given my gre yesterday ,feeling very dpressed got 1050.Do i stand any chance in getting into masters ???????????am plannin 2 apply for case western,umich,university of illinois ,as these universities r closer to my place .hope some1 will cast some ray of hopes in me .bye nd will keep in touch

Members don't see this ad.

hello i finished my bds in india n want to go to us 4 dds what r the exams do i need to take 4 it n universities that offer this course weather i need to take gre general r subject test
let me know the information soon
thankq

hello i have finished my bds in india want to do dds in us what all the exams do i need to give for it n universities that offer dds. do i need to write gre general or subject test. how many years does it take
plz let me know the information soon
thakq

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
Bikki and anyone else interested in MS/PhD programs; am working on my PhD in Oralbiology.
If u've got questions, shoot'em! I will be glad to tell you what I know!

hello drjennix,
Am glad that some1 lik u is there to tell me something about masters in oral biology.Till now i was concentratin only on masters in clinical dentistry but wen i came across ur thread gave a thought on this course .Can u give me more information about this course like, what are the prospects after doing masters in oral biology ? is it an acedemia related program?and also i had gone through ohio state oral biology dept there they are speaking about bachelors degree in US to do the masters in oral biology ,is it true ?do we have to do bachelors to persue masters in this program?
I am lil curious to kno about this ,hope u can help me .thank u advance.

hello drjennix,
Am glad that some1 lik u is there to tell me something about masters in oral biology.Till now i was concentratin only on masters in clinical dentistry but wen i came across ur thread gave a thought on this course .Can u give me more information about this course like, what are the prospects after doing masters in oral biology ? is it an acedemia related program?and also i had gone through ohio state oral biology dept there they are speaking about bachelors degree in US to do the masters in oral biology ,is it true ?do we have to do bachelors to persue masters in this program?
I am lil curious to kno about this ,hope u can help me .thank u advance.

You dont really have to be a bachelors in oral biology from US university to get into MA oral biology. With BDS u have an additional advantage. If u have a decent GPA and GRE around 1200, you have a good chance for MS oralbiology. But the only thing is, u have to take care of your tution expenses until u get some form of assistanship. I know you addressed the question to someone else, hope my reply will give you an idea.
All the best!

You dont really have to be a bachelors in oral biology from US university to get into MA oral biology. With BDS u have an additional advantage. If u have a decent GPA and GRE around 1200, you have a good chance for MS oralbiology. But the only thing is, u have to take care of your tution expenses until u get some form of assistanship. I know you addressed the question to someone else, hope my reply will give you an idea.
All the best!

thank u very much,it was really kind of u 2 giv me this reply ,by the way r u sure that our gre score should be 1200?coz i got a gre score of 1050,do u think that wil hamper my chance of gettin in2 this programme?morover i would be grateful 2 u if u can tell me the benefits out of masters in oral biology,is it only academia related?is phd necessary or can we settle dwn wid masters itself?hope am not buggin u wid lot of queries of mine,thanx a lot once more

RE: The Oral Health in Crisis all over US

My Fellow Drs.,

Here from the Live Free or Die State. My favorite motto. I have something very important to tell you people & becoz of this I join this forum. We need to collect data & a position letter send to US Congress ,or in the New England area we need to appear in the next annual meeting of the Rural Health Meeting.I am not kidding at all. Every State in New England area (NH MA,CT,RI VT,ME ) got sued class action lawsuit proliferates in each State becoz of the shortage of dentists. Each States costs them millions of dollars if not billions on the Federal level becoz of this. In NH alone the NH DHHS got sued recently ,check Hawkins v.Commissioner NH DHHS ( google) or go to NH General court. You will confirm what I mean. We don't need to go through this crap of passing the NDB .....blah...blah...blah..that's a bunch of crap.They needed us very very very badly now. Let us play the hardball, the playing field is in our court ready at our own disposal.

We need to unite and send our position argument to the US Congress. This is not a hard thing to do. If anyone can design a petition draft , where we can put our demands to limit if not eliminate the restrictions to practice, e.g. requirements of NDB 1@2 etc...& change it to serve the underserved areas as our ticket to practice Dentistry isn't this will be fair? We must decide how long we stick ourselves in these rural areas. We need to stick together.This is the same requirements the Congress requires with Medicine grads.They call it residency.Two years I guess.

I am introducing a bill in my State Congress NH next year to this effect ,I encouraged everyone to do the same in their State. It is more effective to do this on the Federal level so we are not just serving ourselves but the future of our colleagues who has the same aspirations as we are.

Thank you & my gratitude to the people who make this webste possible so we are able to talk to each other.

UE grad 90/Philippines

RE: The Oral Health in Crisis all over US

My Fellow Drs.,

Here from the Live Free or Die State. My favorite motto. I have something very important to tell you people & becoz of this I join this forum. We need to collect data & a position letter send to US Congress ,or in the New England area we need to appear in the next annual meeting of the Rural Health Meeting.I am not kidding at all. Every State in New England area (NH MA,CT,RI VT,ME ) got sued class action lawsuit proliferates in each State becoz of the shortage of dentists. Each States costs them millions of dollars if not billions on the Federal level becoz of this. In NH alone the NH DHHS got sued recently ,check Hawkins v.Commissioner NH DHHS ( google) or go to NH General court. You will confirm what I mean. We don't need to go through this crap of passing the NDB .....blah...blah...blah..that's a bunch of crap.They needed us very very very badly now. Let us play the hardball, the playing field is in our court ready at our own disposal.

We need to unite and send our position argument to the US Congress. This is not a hard thing to do. If anyone can design a petition draft , where we can put our demands to limit if not eliminate the restrictions to practice, e.g. requirements of NDB 1@2 etc...& change it to serve the underserved areas as our ticket to practice Dentistry isn't this will be fair? We must decide how long we stick ourselves in these rural areas. We need to stick together.This is the same requirements the Congress requires with Medicine grads.They call it residency.Two years I guess.

I am introducing a bill in my State Congress NH next year to this effect ,I encouraged everyone to do the same in their State. It is more effective to do this on the Federal level so we are not just serving ourselves but the future of our colleagues who has the same aspirations as we are.

Thank you & my gratitude to the people who make this webste possible so we are able to talk to each other.

UE grad 90/Philippines

Hi Lakambini,

Thanks for the info.
Nice post :)

Mabuhay,
Chloe

are you trying to say that the NBDE IS BLA BLA BLA? I DONT UNDERSTAND? I AGREE THAT THERE IS NEED FOR REFORM, BUT THE REFORM I BELIEVE IN REQUIRES PASSING PART 1 AND 2 . I FEEL THAT OUR SYSTEM SHOULD BE THAT OF MEDICINE AND THE USMLE , PASS ALL THE PARTS GOTO RESIDENCY FOR THREE YEARS GET PAID WORK HARD THIS WOULD HANDLE ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS FIRST FOR THE POPULATION AND SECOND FOR THE FTD'S.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone can get this message in everybody's head we will have more brains to consolidate what I am trying to say. Sending a petition letter to the US Congress to eradicate most of the obsolete restrictions is not so hard. I need your 2 paragraphs signed & notarized off we go. NDB as far as I am concerned is irrelevant , iwhen you pass your board in your country ,we shouldn't castrated to study again . They cannot hold all of us responsible that someone/few who commit a fraud in the past ,that we all do the same. In the Philippines there is this saying . you cannot punished Pdro for what Juan did. The same is true in here.I have a long trail of history of how each agency here at least in NH operates. But I am sick that is why I do not pursue to practice.As far as reseach in the politics that is where I am at,I do not need to work as hard.But in this field I want if I can eager to help & share to you guys of what is going on in Washington. I was asked to go to the meeting of New England of Rural Health las week but I was too sick to travel.At any event that you guys are sick & tired of going the circle of the politics of pursuing the incomprehensible resctrictions to practice in any State ,let me know if I am still alive , I will see my Senator again.It doesn't matter where you are at in this world, you can talk to the Congress as just like anybody,like I can. One dentist I met in Boston at the Yankee Dental Congress is so fed up that he said he really is going to an International tribunal for this issue. If you ask me my opinion why the US Congress on the Federal level the reason being is the in the event Federal that collides or will up against the State's law,the Federal law comes unprecedented. Bates v. Me DHHS.(google) it, Bates v. GA DHHS. Both of these cases reached US Supreme Court. In both cases the ADA ( American Disability Act) cannot be challenged by individual State's law becoz ADA mandated these State's that people with disabilities is protected on the Federal level & not on the State's level.You may ask what is the correlation of ADA to us ,I am making a Federal law like the ADA as an example that Federal law supercedes any State's law so in the event we passed a law to practice Dentistry without restrictions mandated by the Congress ,all State's are bounded to apply the Federal law over the State's law.

I am also aware that the military serving in Iraq & anywhere else are dire need of dentits. That is next topic,I need to go back to my work.

UE grad 90/Philippines

Corrections

Bates v. Maine DHHS; Olmstead v. GA DHHS ;
Hawkins v. NH Commissioner DHHS,
Swain v. Gregg (NH DHHS past Commisioner)

So far this will tell you in NH alone how the shortage of dentists affects the entire population. But CT i know also in dire need.VT who wants to live there? Except if you are a family of that Croc Hunter.

UE grad 90/Phils

Hi!
Bikki and anyone else interested in MS/PhD programs; am working on my PhD in Oralbiology.
If u've got questions, shoot'em! I will be glad to tell you what I know!
Hello drjennix.i was wondering whether there are any PhD programs where the candidate is given a stipend and there are no tuition fees.Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank u very much,it was really kind of u 2 giv me this reply ,by the way r u sure that our gre score should be 1200?coz i got a gre score of 1050,do u think that wil hamper my chance of gettin in2 this programme?morover i would be grateful 2 u if u can tell me the benefits out of masters in oral biology,is it only academia related?is phd necessary or can we settle dwn wid masters itself?hope am not buggin u wid lot of queries of mine,thanx a lot once more

1200 is not a fixed number, if u have additional credentials like a good GPA and research experience, u will definitely make it.
All the Best

Corrections

Bates v. Maine DHHS; Olmstead v. GA DHHS ;
Hawkins v. NH Commissioner DHHS,
Swain v. Gregg (NH DHHS past Commisioner)

So far this will tell you in NH alone how the shortage of dentists affects the entire population. But CT i know also in dire need.VT who wants to live there? Except if you are a family of that Croc Hunter.

UE grad 90/Phils

Of the many, many flaws in your argument that FTD's should be able to immediately gain licensure to practice in the US, one is humorously obvious: How many FTD's are willing to come to this country and agree to work in the underserved areas you are using to justify the concept of immediate licensure in the first place?

Somebody Google Helena, Arkansas and see if you would like to live there for 5 years.

Or Guin, Alabama
Or Echo, Minnesota

Or the Southside of Inner city Chicago for that matter. Although the requirement by many states for FTD's to receive a DDS prior to licensure can be onerous, there are reasons for it. As an educator and clinician, I have seen the dental work of my immigrant patients, which was done by some overseas dentists. I am not generalizing to ALL FTD's, here, but much of it would be considered malpractice in this country. Which means big lawsuits. The state dental boards are not willing to take the risk that a given FTD happened to go to a 'good' foreign dental school as opposed to a bad one. There is no way to know. This is the primary reason most states require some level of education to be achieved in the US.

That said, good luck to you all. My wife is an FTD and has done quite well. Her DDS program was somewhat repetitive, but believe it or not she learned some important things during the program. She will soon have the required credentials to practice in any state in the country.

As an FTD myself, I agree with what was posted here. Word for word.
I had my dental assisting days, and have seen some horrendous dental work which has been done overseas. Again, not to generalize at all ... some FTD's are superb dentists.
I second everything you just said ...

No offense to any of the FTD's who sat for the California boards, and passed ... setting the licensure standards based almost solely (in our case) on a clinical exam is a flawed process. Just because you can "train" yourself to pass the boards, does not mean that you are at par with the regular DDS students. There has to be some kind of quality control. I can pretty much train a dental lab tech to pass the boards, if you give me enough time. Does it mean he has the least clue about what he is doing ? I am just saying ... how are they supposed to know which FTD's are "lemons" ?
And do not get me wrong ... I am not saying that all american graduate dentists are excellent in every aspect of what they do, but at least us FTD's have a much much higher shot at success than anyone else and can benefit immensely by putting ourselves through a better education system.

Sherif

Of the many, many flaws in your argument that FTD's should be able to immediately gain licensure to practice in the US, one is humorously obvious: How many FTD's are willing to come to this country and agree to work in the underserved areas you are using to justify the concept of immediate licensure in the first place?

Somebody Google Helena, Arkansas and see if you would like to live there for 5 years.

Or Guin, Alabama
Or Echo, Minnesota

Or the Southside of Inner city Chicago for that matter. Although the requirement by many states for FTD's to receive a DDS prior to licensure can be onerous, there are reasons for it. As an educator and clinician, I have seen the dental work of my immigrant patients, which was done by some overseas dentists. I am not generalizing to ALL FTD's, here, but much of it would be considered malpractice in this country. Which means big lawsuits. The state dental boards are not willing to take the risk that a given FTD happened to go to a 'good' foreign dental school as opposed to a bad one. There is no way to know. This is the primary reason most states require some level of education to be achieved in the US.

That said, good luck to you all. My wife is an FTD and has done quite well. Her DDS program was somewhat repetitive, but believe it or not she learned some important things during the program. She will soon have the required credentials to practice in any state in the country.

I meant to say exactly what Jaybe and NileBDS said and I was called an idiot on the other thread. :D It is easy to pass the boards but takes a lot of work to understand the system in which the US works. Education is a must for that.

Once more, could you confirm that "in order to practice dentistry in California as a foreign-trained dentist, the person must pass the NBDE exam (I & II) and also the bench exam"?

So there is no need to go through an advance standing program to get a DDS/DMD and it doesn't make any difference where the dentist is graduated from, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Since there are many more opinions flying around about the California Dental Licensure, I would like to get a confirmation from SDNers here ;) .

Good luck to you all :luck: ,

NDBE:National Board of Dental Examination.(part 1 and 2)
These set of exams are taken by students who are pursuing dentistry at the undergraduate level ASWELL as foreign trained dentists who wish to obtain a licence to practice dentistry in the US.Essentially,foreign trained dentists have to enroll into the advanced standing program offered in dental schools here.To admit such students,the universities rely to some extent on the NDBE scores of the applicant.
Undergradute students who join a dental program with their DAT scores will also have to pass their NDBE before they graduate.

Bench test:from what I know....... is offered in some states like California .It permites a foreign trained dentist to practice ONLY in California(or the respective states) provided they have passed the NDBE and the bench test(practical exam)

So......
IF you wanna join dental schoool from scratch and complete the 4 yr course..it's DAT for you.
If you wanna get into an advance standing program as a foreign trained dentist and do 2-3 yrs of college to get a DDS degree...it's NDBE
IF you wanna practice say in California only..take the NDBe and look out for more info on the BENCH tests.

I know that it sounds confusing igores. Let me try and clear up some of the fog.

In the past (before 2003 I think), FTD's were allowed to apply for the California State Board licensure after submitting proof of successful completion of parts I and II of the NBDE's along with some tedious paper work and a primitive law/ethics exam. But again, inorder to be able to do this, you had to have passed parts I and II of the NBDE's PRIOR TO December 2002 in addition to submitting your application. As long as your application was reviewed prior to that deadline, you would be allowed to proceed with your bench examination and consequently licensure.

Since then things have changed. FTD's have since lost that luxury.
Now FTD's must enroll in and successfully complete an advanced standing program at an accredited US or Canadian dental school before being eligible to sit for the California State board exam. The only alternative to advanced standing now would be completion of a recognized post graduate specialty (residency) program at any US program recognized by the ADA CODA (Commission On Dental Accreditation).

I hope it helps ...

Good Luck.

Once more, could you confirm that "in order to practice dentistry in California as a foreign-trained dentist, the person must pass the NBDE exam (I & II) and also the bench exam"?

So there is no need to go through an advance standing program to get a DDS/DMD and it doesn't make any difference where the dentist is graduated from, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Since there are many more opinions flying around about the California Dental Licensure, I would like to get a confirmation from SDNers here ;) .

Good luck to you all :luck: ,

Merry Christmas everyone :hardy: ,

And thank you NileBDS for your detailed reply.

Does this alternative mean that someone with a foreign dental degree can get into a residency (generally specialty) in the US, and after that S/he can work as an specialist (say like ortho)?

Till now I thought that only those who want to get involved in the academics can enroll in a post-graduate program (mostly PhD, MS, etc.) and NOT SPECIALTIES like pedo, ortho, perio, etc.

Please correct me if I'm wrong! :confused:

hi,jennix,
i think u can solve my problem.
i have done dental public health M.D.S in india and have around 6 yrs of teaching experience,i am only interested in teaching and/or research.not intend to practice dentistry , even if provided with a billion$.wat shud i doso that i join any dental school or university and continue my teaching or research interest in U.S..meanwhile i am appearing for an interview in india itself for a PHd Programwhich mite b completed in abt 2 years time from today.

hi, i want to do dental public health in USA .... do it require completion of 2 yr DDS program ? ........ or suggest passing nbde 1 &2 ....

hi, i want to do dental public health in USA .... do it require completion of 2 yr DDS program ? ........ or passing nbde 1 &2 ....

DDS/DMD is not required but if u have passed boards it will increase ur chances.

hi, i want to do dental public health in USA .... do it require completion of 2 yr DDS program ? ........ or passing nbde 1 &2 ....

I am currently doing a dental public health program....i did not do a DDS in USA nor did I take the boards when I applied to the program. I think the requirements vary by school. PM me if you need further info.
WireBender2010

Dhee, please refer to the thread ?US States where you can practice Dentistry after completing a 2 yr Specialty Program? for details regarding practice after specialty.

Research experience is just practical experience with research, either in a basic science laboratory or in some form of clinical research. Although doing this in a dental school keeps us close to our field, and in perspective of our interests; this can be done in any college or research organization. As Azzure221 suggested in the ?US states?.? thread, offering to volunteer would be the easiest way to get into a lab. Details regarding research interests and projects of faculty members are usually available in the university websites. Read them, find your area of interest, and approach the faculty member.
Though research is commitment in terms of time, it does seem to pay-off in the long run. I?ve come across some people who got involved in research to strengthen their application for the IDP program. Personally, I can tell you for a fact that my research training definitely helped me with my application towards specialization.
Good Luck.
hi...
good work..im a dental surgeon frm india..u mean..a research programme wud look impressive on ur CV for dds application??what is the duration of the research programme??
please help...
pinky..

dear guys,
i want to join a MS/MSc program in dental public health only.i am intersted to settle in life only teachng n research,not in practice at any cost,cos students ideas and queries excite me.i hav gone thru the threads,but i need info on schools that dont require gre,i can take toefl,i hav aroun 6 yrs experience in teaching my plan is to join for mid 2009.kindly guide or give a time table for the same,i hav already joind a phd program in india,completing by 2009 feb.how good it is to apply thru PASS/USEFI,also wat is matching?

I appreciate ur replies friends

hello wirebender2010,

could u give me more info on the process of getting into the program like the application ,deadline and approx tuition or just mail me the web links sharing the info.
thanks
drnp

Hi...
I would like to know if gre is required for MS...
I have given toefl...
And another dilemma is, Is MPH or MS a better option?? In terms of job opportunities and futher growth...
Thanks

Bye

Hi...
I would like to know if gre is required for MS...
I have given toefl...
And another dilemma is, Is MPH or MS a better option?? In terms of job opportunities and futher growth...
Thanks

Bye

For programs such as MS or MPH which typically come under the auspices of Graduate College or College of Public Health respectively....GRE is a must. MPH versus MS...depends on the MS program (in what area?) and also on the concentration in MPH (Epi, Health Policy, or Biostats). We should not discount the quality of the University either.
WireBender2010

Hello everyone, can anyone here tell me how do i get my GPA evaluated? i did my general evaluation with ECE do i need course by course too??
waiting for a reply, thank you

I know that it sounds confusing igores. Let me try and clear up some of the fog.

In the past (before 2003 I think), FTD's were allowed to apply for the California State Board licensure after submitting proof of successful completion of parts I and II of the NBDE's along with some tedious paper work and a primitive law/ethics exam. But again, inorder to be able to do this, you had to have passed parts I and II of the NBDE's PRIOR TO December 2002 in addition to submitting your application. As long as your application was reviewed prior to that deadline, you would be allowed to proceed with your bench examination and consequently licensure.

Since then things have changed. FTD's have since lost that luxury.
Now FTD's must enroll in and successfully complete an advanced standing program at an accredited US or Canadian dental school before being eligible to sit for the California State board exam. The only alternative to advanced standing now would be completion of a recognized post graduate specialty (residency) program at any US program recognized by the ADA CODA (Commission On Dental Accreditation).

I hope it helps ...

Good Luck.

Hi i dont think so residency rule is there for foreign trained dentist who have already done with restorative technique exam and want to practice in california .

Hello everyone, can anyone here tell me how do i get my GPA evaluated? i did my general evaluation with ECE do i need course by course too??
waiting for a reply, thank you
hi,
you get your GPA after course by course evaluation..for boards you need only general evaluation, but for univ. applic. you need course by couse evaluation;
good luck:luck:

Are you anti FTD .there lot of FTd who took RT exam in feb and r taking wreb without doing 1 year residency.I dont know about today or future .I talked to some body in board they said FTD dentist Who did RT exam can take wreb any time they want.

other thing when ever i read your forum ,it looks like you discourage Ftd.
Do you think those who are doing DDS in Schools are better than any one who R getting there license through RT exam And wreb.I dont think so.

Are you anti FTD .there lot of FTd who took RT exam in feb and r taking wreb without doing 1 year residency.I dont know about today or future .I talked to some body in board they said FTD dentist Who did RT exam can take wreb any time they want.

other thing when ever i read your forum ,it looks like you discourage Ftd.
Do you think those who are doing DDS in Schools are better than any one who R getting there license through RT exam And wreb.I dont think so.

Amazing. I post a web link, and get this kind of response. I guess you can never be right on the internet, huh.
Good luck to you too.

Cute Dentist,

Don't kid yourself. Like Nile said, the only reason people are still able to take the RT exam is IF THEY COMPLETED PART 1 AND PART 2 BEFORE DEC.2003 and REGISTERED FOR THE RT EXAM BEFORE DEC.2003. I am aware of that as I actually signed up for that previous to the deadline, but am no longer pursuing it.

Het there ,
I graduated this year from non-us university ( international ) , i m interesting to go to California and practise dentistry there , as i read there that i can practise without taking the IDP ( international dental program ) ?? how was that ?? any one can help me !!

i am a dentist from india. i want to study ms in prosthodontics. i want to know if i can i practice in USA without doing dds and which states.

hi...
i am dentist from india...in U.S right now...
i want to get into masters programme in d universities....preferably 4 d upcoming session (june - july 2008)....
i have a good GPA and a toefl (107).....
i have not given my NBDE yet.....
can anyone suggest me d procedure to get into......
really urgent....
thanx

:D
Hi,
I thought that we can start a thread on this as many students would like to know about "Masters Program "that is offered by many universities to Foreign Trained Dentists.If you have any information regarding any other programs , please do post your info , and if anyone is already enrolled in such a program , kindly post your information also.
Thanks
Toothlaw

hi friends,
iam a dentist from india and applied for MSDprogram.i am quite hopeful of getting admission on the base of responses got from the dental schools . i have gre score of 1210 gpa 3.81. would it be better if i accept the admission and donot prepare for ndbe for advance standing program.please help me out of this confusion as i am not a fresh graduate and age is not on my side for experimentation
:confused:

i too am a dentist from india and have applied for masters progrqam with good gpa a nd gre scores and hopeful of getting acceptance but i am sceptical in choosing between MSD or preparing for ndbe for dds let me know if you have some idea[i quote=gdcpatiala;6085886]hi...
i am dentist from india...in U.S right now...
i want to get into masters programme in d universities....preferably 4 d upcoming session (june - july 2008)....
i have a good GPA and a toefl (107).....
i have not given my NBDE yet.....
can anyone suggest me d procedure to get into......
really urgent....
thanx[/quote]

hi gdc patiala,i too have applied for masters program MSD but I am confused as to whether prepare for ndbe or join the masters program if offered . what is better dds or msd do you have any idea??

Hi,
I thought that we can start a thread on this as many students would like to know about "Masters Program "that is offered by many universities to Foreign Trained Dentists.If you have any information regarding any other programs , please do post your info , and if anyone is already enrolled in such a program , kindly post your information also.
Thanks
Toothlaw
Hi,
Yes foreign trained dentists can join for masters...there are many post doctoral programs offered by many universities for the foreign trained dentists..in
Prosthodontics,Orthodontics,endodontics,oralpathology,pedodontics,periodontics
I think we are not eligible to join for oral and maxillofacial surgery without dds..and fees for them are lesss compared to dds ..these courses might be for 2-3 years..atleast NBDE part 1 is required ,by many universities
But after completion we may not be able practice..but few states do permit..
Thanks

Hi,
Yes foreign trained dentists can join for masters...there are many post doctoral programs offered by many universities for the foreign trained dentists..in
Prosthodontics,Orthodontics,endodontics,oralpathology,pedodontics,periodontics
I think we are not eligible to join for oral and maxillofacial surgery without dds..and fees for them are lesss compared to dds ..these courses might be for 2-3 years..atleast NBDE part 1 is required ,by many universities
But after completion we may not be able practice..but few states do permit..
Thanks
Do you have any idea which states in USA permits post graduates practice without DDS for an international dentist.One more question can we do DDS after doing post- graduation in orthodontics from USA.

For programs such as MS or MPH which typically come under the auspices of Graduate College or College of Public Health respectively....GRE is a must. MPH versus MS...depends on the MS program (in what area?) and also on the concentration in MPH (Epi, Health Policy, or Biostats). We should not discount the quality of the University either.
WireBender2010
Hi,
Pl let me know if you are doing Dental public health and from which univr=ersity..
Also pl let me know what are the basic req to be eligible to apply for the programmes..
Thanks a lot

Dear Friends,

Has anyone known friends of theirs who on an F1 visa completed residency in a clinical specialty and have been able to find jobs in private practice.I do know it is easier to get into academics but how easy is it to get into private practice?. Will one be able to find sponsorships accordingly for H1 visa.

How does practising only a specialty weigh in regards to finances earned.

In your opinion,is an investment of 200K justified to study in a private school
Please post your opinions.

Thanks

Merry Christmas everyone :hardy: ,

And thank you NileBDS for your detailed reply.

Does this alternative mean that someone with a foreign dental degree can get into a residency (generally specialty) in the US, and after that S/he can work as an specialist (say like ortho)?

Till now I thought that only those who want to get involved in the academics can enroll in a post-graduate program (mostly PhD, MS, etc.) and NOT SPECIALTIES like pedo, ortho, perio, etc.

Please correct me if I'm wrong! :confused:

Hi Igores07,
Have you found the answer for your question about doing residency in US as a FTD and after residency in US working as a specialist in private practice? Is that possible in CA or in other states?