Masters Program For Foreign Trained Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi,

do we have to send our internship completion certificate along with marksheets and degree certificate when applying for WES evaluation.I have applied and sent my attested copies of dental marksheets and degree certificate yesterday,but didnot include internship completion certificate,will that affect my report in any way?i am not able to contact them through phone.If anyone could give me information regarding this will be really helpful.Its urgent...

Also is it necessary to include other marksheets of high school and post secondary school for evaluation?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

hi drdds,
i'm also a dentist from india,going to apply MSD in UW next year.Do u know anything about ECE ?Which one's good for evaluating?plz reply yar....

hi ,does anyone know what jobs we can get after completing mph and what are the salaries we r looking at,thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
Bikki and anyone else interested in MS/PhD programs; am working on my PhD in Oralbiology.
If u've got questions, shoot'em! I will be glad to tell you what I know!

I am a FTD from INDIA.i am in a state of confusion as it has been v.difficult for me to select a course that would help me continue in dentistryt itslf in US.Meanwhil i heard of MS in Oral bio..i basically want to knw what will be the job prospectus for a FTD after MS.Whether we wil be allowed in academics in the dental school..or will this MS help us in any way if we want to do DDS in future..plz help..

hello evry 1,
i have done my bds from india and have recently moved to US(san francisco).i would like to know what all exams i need to give to get into MSD here.do GRE and TOEFL suffice or do i need to give my nbde scores also to get into this course?wt are the other supporting documents needed..do i need some work experience?
i would like know whether i will be allowed to practice after MSD. and wts the scope of MSD....i would also like to know about MPH.wt is the scope of that?and exams needed for that?

Hi Doctors,
I am new to this forum. I completed my BDS from India in 2008. I worked at a dental clinic for 18 months. I came to USA on a dependent visa and took my NBDE part1 exam last week. I am not positive about getting a good score. I am exploring different options apart from DDS. I have two options in mind
1) Masters in Health Informatics 2) Masters in Public Health.
What is the scope for these two courses. Are there any other courses for which the BDS background would be helpful. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank You

Hi Doctors,

Happy New Year....

I'm a dentist from India & have completed my BDS in 2004. Now I have moved to USA on a dependent Visa. I would like to know apart from DDS, MPH etc, are there any other Masters programs to which I can apply. Also what are the prospects after completion of MPH?

Also I have finished GRE and TOEFL exam? Apart from these, do I need to take up NBDE exams also to get enrolled in the college.
Please let me know if anyone of you have completed or are studying in Texas state universities.

Waiting for replies...

thanks in advance

hi everyone,,
i am also a dentist from India,,passed out in 2009,, have work experience of 10months,,
my stats are
GPA3.9
GRE 450 v 640 q
toefl ibt 111
i will also be going to US soon after my marriage and wish to know what are the options other than nbde for me so that i can secure a job there...
i have already applied for mph to 4 universities but i am not sure if i will get a job after that...:(

Hello everybody ..

I am new to this forum .. I'v been reading everything in this forum since 2 hrs :scared::confused::confused: and I am still have tons of Q's ..

I am an international Dental school graduate and I am done with part 1 NBDE >> preparing for TOEFL now ..
can u tell me pls what options I have so far after finishing TOEFL ? and do I need part 2 ??

I found in this forum that I can apply for 2 years school .. or 3 years school .. and I can apply for post graduate residency ?? I have no idea about all of these .. like where can I apply for residency? r there any further options?

any advice where can I find a whole info about the next step after exams please?

Pls advice and HELP

Hi Dr vvvbbb,
Most of the dental school require ECE (Educational credential evaluators) evaluation of your marksheets. They will convert 4 yr of Bds marks into gpa which is outta 4.There is also WES evaluation but I dont think dental school will accept it. WES gives u better GPA than ECE. Fpr more info abt ECE u can go to the official website. Tell me if there's anything else u wanna know abt ECE

Hi Doctors,
I am new to this forum. I completed my BDS from India in 2008. I worked at a dental clinic for 18 months. I came to USA on a dependent visa and took my NBDE part1 exam last week. I am not positive about getting a good score. I am exploring different options apart from DDS. I have two options in mind
What is the scope for these two courses. Are there any other courses for which the BDS background would be helpful. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank You

@ Dr bsnnr,
There are many MS courses in dentistry from University of Alabama School of Dentistry which requires only toefl while some requires both gre and toefl.Np NBDE requirement.U can check it on their website.

hello evry 1,
i have done my bds from india and have recently moved to US(san francisco).i would like to know what all exams i need to give to get into MSD here.do GRE and TOEFL suffice or do i need to give my nbde scores also to get into this course?wt are the other supporting documents needed..do i need some work experience?
i would like know whether i will be allowed to practice after MSD. and wts the scope of MSD....i would also like to know about MPH.wt is the scope of that?and exams needed for that?

@ bhawna2001 : MSD at alabama school of public health doesn't requires NBDE only gre and toefl scores would suffice.

Hi ,
I really appreciate your help and for your time. I wanted to know;
Is GRE required ?
I have to appear both for GRE and NBDE part 2, which one should I write first?
I dont have any research experience and people are not taking volunteers in research , so any advice on this?
Please help me as I have already spent 3 years in US trying for advanced eduaction.
Many Thanks,
shashi

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Jennix,

I am inerested in teaching and academic career. I am applying for Oral Biology and Orofacia pain programs.
I need to appear both for GRE and NBDE part2, which one should I appear first?
I donot have research exp but my CV is good with lot of clinica experience and is continous.could you please advice how to make way into this program.
I can send you my CV ,if you can write to me on [email protected]
I am trying to pursue my career in dentistry from the past 4 years , I really appreciate if you can guide me .

many thanks,
shashi
Well, today's post was my first! And here's my follow on! I've got to say that I am glad to join the community :)!

From reading through the forum I didn't see many posts/discussions regarding MS/PhD programs, both clinical and non-clinical!
Is it because these programs are not considered so much as a preference or an option when compared to the IDP/DDS programs? Curious to know!

Thanks everybody for the all the info shared! Great job :)

Hi!
Bikki and anyone else interested in MS/PhD programs; am working on my PhD in Oralbiology.
If u've got questions, shoot'em! I will be glad to tell you what I know!

Hi All,
Has anyone looked into clinical research progrmas as an option? There is one offered at NYU........ What is the scope to get a job after completing such a program? Really desperate for a reply.......

Sorry to bother you.

I am a international dentist. now I am in a three-year resident program.

I am just confused one question, can i apply for clinical exam (WRED or NRED) in my second year in some states (e.g. Texas) which accept two year post-graduate residency for dental liscence? Or I must wait for my third year to apply for clinical exame?

Thank you very much.

hi jbsdentist,
Thanks for ur reply.I got evaluated from ECE.it was 3.89.Do u know anything about university of washington?Thats my only option now.plz reply.

Hi All,
Has anyone looked into clinical research progrmas as an option? There is one offered at NYU........ What is the scope to get a job after completing such a program? Really desperate for a reply.......

I have looked into this option and I will be visiting the program coordinater in order to gather more info. Her name is Julianna Cools. Let's discuss this topic further. Pm me your contact info if interested. :)

Well, today's post was my first! And here's my follow on! I've got to say that I am glad to join the community :)!

From reading through the forum I didn't see many posts/discussions regarding MS/PhD programs, both clinical and non-clinical!
Is it because these programs are not considered so much as a preference or an option when compared to the IDP/DDS programs? Curious to know!

Thanks everybody for the all the info shared! Great job :)
hie ...could you please send me your email id .. i am going for my research in USA... i need help..please..mine is [email protected]

hi there I just finished my nbde 1 but since it was terrible i wanna be ready with a backup plan ..does anyone one have info regd ms/phd programs in chicago uic , can we apply on visa status coz the major setback I'm facing is that I cant apply to uic Iddp program on visa status n also if we can apply for clinical courses in ms program..ur replies will be really appreciated

sorry to interrupt, but i thought Florida was the only state you could take a "bench test"..

Hi there everyone! I am a US citizen living here but did my dental schooling from Pakistan. I don't have my degree as yet (due to some legal issues as i had appeared in my finals after a gap) but will hopefully in the near future. I don't want to go through years of more study and was interested in an MPH program but wanted a better idea of what kind of job opportunities are available. I find research interesting since i want to stay in touch with my field. DMU has an online course for MPH but I think they would require my BDS degree. What job opportunities are there for someone like me? Just dont want to waste anymore time as i am already feeling the "rust" get to me!

What job opportunities for someone who did their DDS from abroad? Am a US citizen by birth, full time mother, desperate to find a path. Willing to do online study. any suggestions for jobs/research programs that don't require additional exams etc? was interested in MPH, even dental hygiene. Is it true that a foreign dentist can practice in California after taking NDBE and bench exam?

i did my bds from pakistan.im intrested to get admission in masters programme,what are the requirements?what documents we need?whould really appreciate if some one replies to my post.secondly do universities gve student visa if we enroll ourself in masters programme

I am a FTD from INDIA.i am in a state of confusion as it has been v.difficult for me to select a course that would help me continue in dentistryt itslf in US.Meanwhil i heard of MS in Oral bio..i basically want to knw what will be the job prospectus for a FTD after MS.Whether we wil be allowed in academics in the dental school..or will this MS help us in any way if we want to do DDS in future..plz help..
hello nishal did u get into the program or do u hv info abt the schools n their fee structure .pls reply

hello drjennix
am a dental student from india intrstd in research activities and wanna apply for ms oral biology... gt sme queries regrdng d course requirments and career as such n research arena... its really so nice dat u cme frward to help people around and juniors like me... will be happy if i can talk to u or can conatct u ...regarding ds...my mail id is [email protected] .... jst mail me ur num and wl be glad if i can contct u.. hope am not takng much of ur time...... looking forward ur reply...

can u pl send me ur mail id doc.... i v.badly need a person to help me out regardng my research career options and ms in oral biology in usa.... my mail id is [email protected]... wl be glad if i can talk to u as soon as possible... sorry for the inconvenience doc... awaitng ur reply.....

Hi I have applied through PASS for MS in Prostho to 8 schools this year. I dont know if I stand a chance though, as I am a foreign trained dentist (GPA 4.0, NBDE Part 1 88, Toefl 111, recommendations and one pending publication). I was wondering if I should start preparing for part2 or wait till I hear from schools...but any idea what the chances of getting through are?

This thread started out pretty good, but all of a sudden it went down in flames with some rather stupid questions like "What is PASS?", "What is NBDE?", will i get accepted at the "____________University?".
1.-Haven't you people ever heard of GOOGLE?
2.-Have you considered contacting the University you are interested in YOURSELF?.
Lastly........
Why is everyone from India?

Thanks for ruining the thread :thumbdown:

Why is everyone from India?

That's not a nice statement. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Answer the questions if you would like to. Skip if you want to. No one is paying you to be here. Respect others - It comes before Learning Dentistry

Reactions: 1 user
hi, thanks for information i did not understand what do they mean by international dentalschools is it that forigne dental schools listed in WHO. there is no mention of NDBE. that meansany body with tofel can apply please clarifythese details. thank you

good information can u pls tell me whether we will be paid a stiphened for our lively hood & how much is the fees. are there any scholorships or sponserors or financial aiding companies. please tell me the scope of this coures also

Sorry to bother you.

I am a international dentist. now I am in a three-year resident program.

I am just confused one question, can i apply for clinical exam (WRED or NRED) in my second year in some states (e.g. Texas) which accept two year post-graduate residency for dental liscence? Or I must wait for my third year to apply for clinical exame?

Thank you very much.
Hi

Can u plz guide me as what are the requirements for dental residency programs and which universities offer them??

Thanx

BU dosen't reqiere GRE nor the NBDE to join the speciality courses. But you need 2 yrs work exp and also must have done research preferably in something related to the course you want.
Hi,

Plz can you guide me as to which speciality you got through in BU and what are the requirements?? I looked on their website but couldn't find anything for foreign dentist...I really am interested in the masters program..

I would appreciate your help...thanx

Hi,

Plz can you guide me as to which speciality you got through in BU and what are the requirements?? I looked on their website but couldn't find anything for foreign dentist...I really am interested in the masters program..

I would appreciate your help...thanx

This might be a little out dated, but it was the most recent I could find...

It lists the following specialties for FTDs:
DPH-Dental Public Health
OMP-Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
OMS-Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
ORTHO-Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
PED DENT-Pediatric Dentistry
PERIO-Periodontics
PROS-Prosthodontics
AEGD-Advanced Education in General Dentistry

http://www.ada.org/sections/educationAndCareers/pdfs/licensure_adv_edu_opp_intl_graduates.pdf

Hi Doctors,
Hi I am in the same situation as you,BDS from india on dependent visa.Iwant to know whar are the various options for FTDs here other than DDS/DMD.Anyone having any info plz share.thanks in advance

besides the advanced standing program you can do post-doctoral programs and MS/Phd programs. Depends what is your goal? to able to practice dentistry in the whole nation you must have DDS/DMD degree. Just want to practice a specialty in certain States you can do post-doctoral programs.

. .
The graduate programs in USA in general take only applicants form accredited dental schools by the ADA or an overseas international student (outside USA and they prefer Europeans).

. ... .

I am French, have i got any chance ?

hi
does anyone have the ADA GUIDE FOR INTERNATIONAL DENTIST....
if some oen can share that, it will be a great help.....

Is it because these programs are not considered so much as preference or an option when compared to the IDP/DDS programs? Curious to know!

Thanks everybody for the all the info shared! Great job :)[/Q

Hi ,Good to know that you did MS/Phd in Oral biology.I am a BDS graduate with 2 years of clinical work experience in India. Can you please throw some light on masters program in oral biology?And which clinical/non clinical MS programs are there for international dentists?I am interested in this subject. How is the scope and job opportunities in this course?
.I will appreciate your help. My id is [email protected]

. If you are a foreign trained dentist (without DDS/DMD from USA or Canada) and have an excellent application package ..for a graduate program ..(high scores in TOEFL, NBDE 1&2, GRE, high GPA, experience, recommendations & publications) then, there is a chance for you to get accepted in a graduate dental program other than: Ortho, Endo, Perio,..Oral Surgery and.. Pros (i.e. Dental Materials, Public Health, Oral Biology, Radiology, AEGD, GPR or maybe Pedo...etc)..
The graduate programs in USA in general take only applicants form accredited dental schools by the ADA or an overseas international student (outside USA and they prefer Europeans).

Sadly I have learned that after I have wasted a LOT of money, time, stress and more over EMOTIONS. Also stay away from Rednecks schools (Alabama, Mississippi & Georgia) as I have been humiliated by UAB (University of Alabama Dental School).

. I hope if I read such post one year ago so I wouldn't hurt myself with the graduate programs, focused on the foreign trained dentist programs/applying all the way back to dental school and that's why I am forwarding my experience to the foreign trained dentists who share the same frustration as I do.

Here we are not dentists, looked down at our experience, education and NOT welcomed.
.Sad but true. .
Hi,

I am a foreign trained dentist , and I applied to a graduate program in dentistry, but I wasn't admitted. Therefore I started a denturism program. Program for dentures. As u sais I have never been so offended in my life as i am in this college. Please if there any who can help or guide me how to find an advisor in Toronto university. Your help will be much appreciated. My e-mail is; [email protected]
Sali 88

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I have completed my BDS from India and I wanted to know about course MS in Biomaterials?
pls help me..

Hi , I am a dentist from India and interested to do my masters from US. Have been calling couple of schools for information, some of it makes sense and some doesn't . Would you be able to tell me if they consider foreign trained dentists for the masters prog like in prosthodontics or ortho ? will be anxiously waiting for your input . with deadlines nearing , anxiety level keeps mounting !

Hi, I'm an undergraduate dental student from Spain, and I'm interested to do my masters in the US too, but I'm not sure what the requirements are. Did you finally get in to the masters? What was the procedure? Do I have to take the NBDE exams?
Thank you.

You need TOEFL and ECE evaluation of your transcript. NBDE is optional for internationals.

hello,

I applied for MS oral biology course at georgia university but did not get acceptance, my GRE score is 295 according to new format and TOEFL score is 106 and GPA of 3.59 can you please suggest me what improvements should I make to get accepted. I have my limitations to stay near georgia only. Also, does any research experience letter helps in admission?